LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Testosterone level extremely low

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Testosterone level extremely low
gwb
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My recent testosterone test showed that I was extremely low. My doctor gave me a testosterone shot and gave me rx to give myself shots once every two weeks.

I searched for past discussions here on this topic and it's not clear to me if it's advisable for lyme patients to have these kinds of injections or not. Isn't testosterone injections a steroid?

I told my doctor (not LLMD) about this and he said that my testosterone level is extremely low and it can cause me to have some serious health problems if I don't take the shots.

What is the thinking about taking testosterone shots for lyme patients? Good idea or not?

Gary

Posts: 1349 | From OK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coltman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coltman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
testosterone is a steroid . Different kind though (anabolic) - there is a lot of steroids. The ones people advice here against are corticosteroids (such as prednisone) which are immunosupressant
Posts: 856 | From MA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwb
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
coltman,

So are you saying that it's OK for lyme patients to take anabolic steroid? I don't know what the name of it is because I haven't picked up the rx yet.

I would like to take the testosterone injection for the sole purpose that it may help my over health. But if taking it is going to muck up my lyme, not sure what to do.

My doctor strongly recommends I take it and believes this is why I am having some of the health problems I have right now. I want to make sure it's safe before I do it.

By the way, I asked my alternative doctor about this recently and he suggests I take Andro-Gel. I've taken that before (not sure I should have) and it didn't elevate my testosterone at all.

Gary

[ 09-10-2009, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: gwb ]

Posts: 1349 | From OK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coltman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coltman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andro gel is transdermal testosterone. Testosterone is actually very beneficial for your health if used properly . If andro gel doesn't work for you shots are logical next step

I suggest you do some research - you will find out that they are crucial for male health and deficiency causes all kinds of serious health problems .

The misconceptions about their dangers are another set of lies spread by mainstream media.

Posts: 856 | From MA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David95928
Member # 3521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David95928     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's my impression that many, if not most, male Lymies have very low testosterone. There are teenagers here that are taking it. It's my opinion as a patient, not a physician, that taking it in amounts that restore normal levels is beneficial in many ways. Low testoterone in men is associated with elevated risks for cancer, heart disease, bone loss, muscle loss, loss of cognitive function, loss of libido, low energy, and premature death.
Gel works for some men but not others. One must also be careful not to expose family member to the gel through physical contact. The shots are very reliable and easy to give. Be sure to aspirate once the needle is in to be sure you aren't injecting into a blood vessel. Sometimes a bit gets into a blood vessel anyway and this can cause a brief coughing spell that lasts several seconds.
If you decide to take the shots, you might want to check with your doctor about taking half the prescribed amount weekly. This would result in more even levels. You will need your level tested periodically to make sure it is in an appropriate range. I've been down this road. Feel free to PM.
Dave

--------------------
Dave

Posts: 2034 | From CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave's points are right on and the same holds true for many females thou the process is different and the doses.

As far as I know the only time it is not advised for men is if they are suffering from prostate issues.

Posts: 5187 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coltman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21272

I actually read in Dr.Raxlen's paper that there is apparently higher incidence of chronic lyme in females (based on his patient base) .

And males with lyme are often testosterone defficient

nomoremuscles
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nomoremuscles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It may go back up on its own.

Mine was very low, in the 200's a few years ago.

It gradually has come back, and now is in the high 800's -- two points short of being out of range on the high side. So in a few years it has gone from being very low to pretty high. I have been sick since the mid nineties approximately, and unfortunately have not had any leap of health to coincide with this hormone bonanza.

I have no explanation for this, unless, perhaps, the trx I am doing is helping, and my clinical picture is trailing behind the labs. But this is a big if, as my other hormones, thyroid, cortisol, and a few others, are still crap.

Oh ... and, I did not take any supplemental T.

Posts: 844 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I am a female lymie and am also suffering from extremely low testosterone.

Just thought I'd mention that since you're not alone. Dr. S's book states that many lyme patients are low in Testosterone.

Lymers

Posts: 287 | From Humboldt County, CA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwb
Member # 7273

Thank you all for your input. I appreciate you taking the time to enlighten me on testosterone injections.

After reading these posts, and doing some more research on this, I am definitely going to continue with the testosterone injections.

Gary

Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't jump into T shots unless your testes are not working (or unless you don't care about fertility anymore). With lyme, your pituitary is probably under functioning and sending out less of the LH/FSH pulse. As such, you may have a better experience running HCG, which stimulates the testes much like LH, or you could also run HCG and T shots together.

Solo T shots will shrink your boys...eventually...as it's suppressive therapy.

If you do end up running HCG, you may also need an aromatase inhibitor, like Arimidex, to control estrogen levels brought on by the surge in T.

So test your FSH/LH levels for good measure...simple blood tests.

Good luck.

Also if you do end up running T shots, you can run them sub Q...very easy to perform.

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beautiful Disaster
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beautiful Disaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah what would be the symptoms or outcome if a female had low estrogen or testosterone? Or too high? I wonder? Who tests this? What makes testosterone and estrogen? Isn't it the ovaries in women that make the estrogen? Testicles in men? But if that were the case, women wouldn't have testosterone at all, right?

Do the adrenals produce these things too? Wow, This just might be the dumbest question I have ever asked on here. Hmmm. I think my obgyn wanted me to get my hormones tested (but like, what is she testing, where do the hormones come from? What organ?) last year but I lost the script. She wanted to test my hormones because I no longer had periods. I still very rarely do.

--------------------
---Beautiful Disaster---
IgeneX WB: IgM: 18+, 31+, 41+, 58+, IgG: 31++, 39 IND, 41++, 31kda Epitope Test: Positive
Labcorp: IgM: 23+, 41+
No LLMD due to money since Sept 2008. Was on Doxy, I.V. Rocephin (30 days), Flagyl. Also dx with Bartonella.

Posts: 139 | From United States, East Coast-ish | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ott70
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18237

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ott70     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My testosterone was low also and then came up and now I'm pretty sure it's back down. AndroGel was suggested to me also, but I passed on using it because of the side effect of prostate cancer.

I agree that the body is underperforming due to the Lyme and co-infections. The low testosterone is probably secondary and should come back up by attacking and supporting the primary issues.

Posts: 194 | From Colorado | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Evidence linking T replacement to prostate cancer is spotty at best. After all, you're just replacing to the upper half of the reference range...no more. The health benefits of higher T may be worthwhile anyway...

BD, yes the adrenals produce some T too. One doc/writer compared the HPA axis to a stool--if one leg goes the whole thing becomes unstable.

There lies the dilemma. What does a lyme patient do for hormonal problems? Wait to see if things return to normal or try replacement with one or more hormones? It can be a tough call.

DHEA may help women a little more then men. I think it has a tendency to convert to estrogen more.

--------------------

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coltman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21272

quote:

Evidence linking T replacement to prostate cancer is spotty at best. After all, you're just replacing to the upper half of the reference range...no more. The health benefits of higher T may be worthwhile anyway...

Yup TRT (testosterone replacement therapy) does not lead to prostate cancer. It is only contraindicated where you ALREADY have it.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/56687.php

quote:

There lies the dilemma. What does a lyme patient do for hormonal problems? Wait to see if things return to normal or try replacement with one or more hormones? It can be a tough call.

I have done various restart protocols (arimidex , clomid ,tamoxifen ) - which I responded well while on. (my numbers went where they should be ) - but it keeps regressing afer 2-3 months.

HPTA is such a ***** to balance ,like you mentioned , that it seems never achieved. Plain straight replacement just looks like a better option for me now - especially combined with HCG , which prevents testicular atrophy .

If/when I get rid of lyme I will try restart then and see how it goes then, but atm I will stick to replacement

David95928
Member # 3521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David95928     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coltman,
Is there a recognized protocol for combining hCG and TRT. I am currently on hCG and was in the mid 400s until I had a ruptured testicle in a freak accident. Now I'm in the low 300s and, although it's not terrible, I have little extra energy and poor concentration. I've been offered to go back onto TRT but don't want my remaining testicle to atrophy. Also, when I was on TRT, my PSA level was around 3.0. On hCG it runs about 1.2. It's a hard call. Thanks.
Dave

--------------------
Dave

Posts: 2034 | From CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

David, there are combined protocols. I was on one via a good anti-aging MD. Some do better when combining HCG and some injectable T. You may have to add in some Arimidex (fairly safe) as mentioned.

Currently, I'm off all hormones except thyroid as I'm trying to solve things naturally. I'm not sure if this will work but ultimately it's preferable than running 2-3 different meds along with usual abx...

Clomid actually worked best for me but its not indicated for longterm use as it can pack some considerable sides...

Overall, I suspect my issue is related to low IGF-1 as opposed to T issues, but again I'm not quite ready to go there because of the expense factor.

T and/or T and HCG is still relatively inexpensive and will boost IGF-1 levels to boot.

Supposedly, there will be a new drug released in 2010 that acts like Clomid but can be used longterm I believe. I'll have to fact check again on that though...

--------------------

coltman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21272

quote:
Originally posted by David95928:
Coltman,
Is there a recognized protocol for combining hCG and TRT. I am currently on hCG and was in the mid

Check this one out
http://www.allthingsmale.com/word_docs/TRT.doc

Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

The drug I mentioned before was Androxal (by Repros). I believe it's in clinical trials and may be available sometime next year. It purports to restore normal outputs of LH and FSH and works like Clomid but I would imagine that it's engineered to be somewhat safer, especially for longterm use.

--------------------

Munch
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Munch   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My testosterone level was a whopping 8 after trying many different kinds of replacement therapy.

No matter how many different ways I tried to replace this hormone my body just didn't absorb it until I began replacing HGH too.

After trying many different delivery methods like pills, trans-dermal creams, patches, sublingual etc. I have moved onto pellets.

These are placed under the skin of the fatty part of the hip. They dissolve slowly over 4-6 months. I LOVE them! I don't have to do a shot or remember to take a pill or rub on some cream. Best off all my blood levels are right where they are supposed to be.

http://www.hormonebalance.org/pellets_info.asp

http://www.sottopelletherapy.com/

http://www.pellettherapy.com/testimonials.html

Posts: 192 | From Dwight, IL USA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwb
Member # 7273

Munch,

What kind of a doctor would someone go to for this pellet treatment?

Gary

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement