LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Lyme and Heart problems: is there a known a connection?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lyme and Heart problems: is there a known a connection?
JamesNYC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15793

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamesNYC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know someone who has "mystery" heart problems. The cardio is confused and testing continues.

As with all "mystery" sx I suspect lyme, especially with some other sx thrown in. But I haven't been aware of lyme and heart issues.

So, I call on all our collective research and experience: does anyone know of a connection with lyme and the heart? And if so, what effect does lyme have on it?

(Meaning specifically, what kind of damage or change).

Thank you

James

[ 09-10-2009, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: JamesNYC ]

Posts: 872 | From New York City | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Burrascano lists the following heart symptoms:

Heart murmur or valve prolapse
Heart palpitations or skips
"Heart block" on EKG

My girlfriend had what they decided to call a "heart attack" which cannot be explained by her cardio or any other doctor. She did not have any heart damage from it.

She was later diagnosed with lyme disease by one of the best. She had had lyme at that time and prior to that time.

She had a fibromyalgia diagnosis that turned out to be lyme, babesiosis, and bartonella.

So, lyme can definitely affect the heart.

Many posts about people treating babesiosis with mepron and zith and getting terrible heart problems such as skipping beats during the treatment. Scares them a lot.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamesNYC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15793

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamesNYC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you TF and Grandma.

But I want to know if anyone has physcal specifics on how lyme may effect the heart. Weaken it? Damage valves? etc.

TF, how can they say your friend had a "heart attack" but have no damage? Like, what would have caused it? Nothing? So typical! I'm glad she's okay.

James

Posts: 872 | From New York City | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nomoremuscles
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nomoremuscles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme broke my heart.
Posts: 845 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
James,

Lyme can damage heart valves. There is one member here who had to have open heart surgery to have a valve replaced.

Lyme can also cause heart block as another poster stated. In this case, the HR will remain the same even when it should be increasing. Sometimes a pacemaker becomes necessary.

EKG changes can also be seen at times, esp. with babs and tx.. Tachacardia, which they call benign, but feels anything but, is also common.

Some of this is a result of nerve involvement and some actually infection in the heart.

Feelfit

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Borrelia burgdorferi myositis: report of eight patients.
Reimers CD, de Koning J, Neubert U, Preac-Mursic V, Koster JG, M�ller-Felber W, Pongratz DE, Duray PH.
J Neuro, 240(5):278-83. 1993.

Myositis is a rare manifestation of Lyme disease of unknown pathogenesis... One patient died from cardiac arrest caused by myocarditis and Guillain-Barre syndrome.

Fatal Lyme carditis and endodermal heterotopia of the atrioventricular node.
Cary NR, Fox B, Wright DJ, Cutler SJ, Shapiro LM, Grace AA.
Postgrad Med J, 66(773):258. 1990.

A fatal case of Lyme carditis occurring in a Suffolk farmworker is reported. Post-mortem examination of the heart showed pericarditis, focal myocarditis and prominent endocardial and interstitial fibrosis. The additional finding of endodermal heterotopia ('mesothelioma') of the atrioventricular node raises the possibility that this could also be related to Lyme infection and account for the relatively frequent occurrence of atrioventricular block in this condition. Lyme disease should always be considered in a case of atrioventricular block, particularly in a young patient from a rural area. The heart block tends to improve and therefore only temporary pacing may be required.

Postmortem confirmation of Lyme carditis with polymerase chain reaction.
Tavora F, Burke A, Li L, Franks TJ, Virmani R.
Cardiovasc Pathol. 2008 Mar-Apr;17(2):103-7.

We describe the case of a 37-year-old Caucasian man with a 1-month history of fevers, rash, and malaise who died unexpectedly on the day after he underwent medical evaluation. The only clinical cardiac abnormality found was that of second-degree atrioventricular block. At autopsy, a diffuse carditis, characterized by infiltrates of macrophages, lymphocytes, and eosinophils and primarily in an interstitial, endocardial, and perivascular distribution, was found. Serologic testing from blood drawn on the day before his death demonstrated IgG and IgM antibodies against B. burgdorferi, confirmed by Western blot. Postmortem polymerase chain reaction (PCR) performed in myocardial tissue amplified B. burgdorferi DNA encoding outer-surface protein A.

Early disseminated Lyme disease: cardiac manifestations.
Sigal LH.
Am J Med Apr 24;98(4A):25S-28S; discussion 28S-29S 1995. PMID: 7726189

The cardiac features of Lyme disease usually occur within weeks to months of the infecting tick bite; the result may be disruption of the conduction system, leading to heart block and muscle dysfunction, causing a mild myopericarditis. Lyme carditis is usually mild, although permanent heart block and a few fatalities claimed to be due to Lyme carditis have been reported. Recent reports have suggested that Lyme disease may be a cause of chronic congestive cardiomyopathy. Lyme carditis should be considered in the proper clinical setting with appropriate use of diagnostic tests, recalling that patients with carditis early in Lyme disease may be seronegative.

The epidemiology of infectious myocarditis, lymphocytic myocarditis and dilated cardiomyopathy.
Friman G, Wesslen L, Fohlman J, Karjalainen J, Rolf C
Eur Heart J Dec;16 Suppl O:36-41. 1995.

Borrelia burgdorferi infection is accompanied by cardiac involvement in 1-8% of cases, where myocarditis with conduction disturbances is the most prominent feature. ...Borrelia burgdorferi may occasionally be implicated in DCM. In this contribution we focus also on sudden unexpected death (SUD) in young athletes, since, in Sweden, an increased frequency of SUD has recently been observed in young orienteers and myocarditis was a common feature.

Fatal pancarditis in a patient with co-existent Lyme disease and babesiosis: Demonstration of spirochetes in the heart.
Marcus LC, Steere AC, Duray PH.
Annals of Internal Medicine, 103:374-6. 1985.

The finding of spirochetes in the myocardium and the elevated antibody titers to Borrelia burgdorferi suggest that the patient died from cardiac involvement of Lyme disease.

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IckyTicky
Member # 21466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IckyTicky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had a heart murmur since I was a teen.
I've been told I had a heart murmur, then told it was gone and that I probably outgrew it.
Then told I still have it. Then told it was gone again. I don't know how a heart murmur comes and goes... but mine does.

Other than that, just the usual Racing pulse & Heart Palps

--------------------
IGM: 18+, 23+, 30+, 31+++, 34+, 39IND, 41++, 58+++, 66+, 83-93IND
IGG: 31+, 39IND, 41+
Also positive for Mycoplasma Pneumoniae and RMSF.
Whole family of 5 dx with Lyme.

Posts: 1014 | From Texas | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like IckyTicky, I've had a heart murmur heard off and on as well. Some days it will be heard and others it won't be.

The first heart issues I've had coincided during the time I was first bit and found the tick on me. I started having tachycardia (fast pulse), around the age of 12-13. That has NEVER went away. It's been chronic and continuous, even now more than 10 years later. I then had heart palpitations that at one time got very, very bad and had to have heart testing and wear a halter monitor, but nothing was ever found as the cause.

It only ever made sense and came together when I was diagnosed with lyme, that this could be the reason for the chronic tachycardia for years and years and the palpitations and other heart issues.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme carditis is well documented in the medical

journals. Many require temporary pacing in

treatment to prevent death. Of which I believe

many is caused by antibiotic mass killing that

prevents cells from being able to conduct the

necessary electro conduction's to keep heart

normal. Which could lead to permanant damage. I

do believe I know a young man this happened to.

He developed heart blocks that would not convert

with drugs and he died.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RDaywillcome
Member # 21454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RDaywillcome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1701888
Posts: 1738 | From over the rainbow | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamesNYC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15793

Thank you for your responses.

This person I know has an unexplained reduction in heart pumping strength. A catheterization shows no blockages that explain the change.

The cardiologist said it's possible a virus or a parasite (not found in this country, and not one she could actually name) could have be weakening his heart. But not a bacteria (JAMA says a bacteria is more likely to cause problems than a virus).

So, I wonder if lyme or babs could be the possible culprit (now I wonder about lyme whenever a doc says "dunno").

Another cardio thinks it's natural effect of aging, contradicting the other 3 cardios. Do any Drs know what they're doing?

Yeeeeeshhhh

James

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/77325

Topic: To everyone with CARDIAC symptoms please read!

Posted by btmb03

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myco
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme or co-infections can also cause problems with the vagus nerve (Inflammation, irritation) which leads to irregular heartbeats upon swallowing, movement of the upper torso. I have this, along with trace regurgitation.
Posts: 770 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemon-Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was diagnosed with idiopathic cardiomyopathy four years ago. Idiopathic is just a fancy medical word for 'We don't know the cause'. Cardiomyopathy is sort of a general term for a disease of the heart muscle. Basically, my heart wasn't pumping hard enough, but no cause was discovered -- my arteries were clean, no heart scarring, etc.

Years before this I had some weird symptoms and an iffy Western Blot. And after being diagnosed, odd symptoms progressed. Several months ago I tested positive via the Igenex WB, along with antibodies showing positive exposure to ehrlicia, spotted fever and typhus.

My ILADS doc thinks my cardiomyopathy was most likely caused by Lyme. Although there is also the possibility it was indirectly caused by Lyme: via immune dysfunction -- overreaction of immune system to coxsackie virus = cardiomyopathy.

So... it's possible Lyme caused your friend's heart problems. If your friend has other symptoms that match Lyme, it would certainly seem suspicious.

I assume he/she was tested for Lyme, and other possible causes too?

Posts: 584 | From NY | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe the patients with heart blocks could get

the best treatment by transfusions and or dialysis

whereby cells could transport the necessary

electrolytes to provide the conduction. Why it is

not used I do not know. But it is well documented

the drug protocols don't.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TylerAdam
Member # 20436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TylerAdam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have Lyme heart implications, mainly while in bed relaxing and trying to sleep! (palpitations, racing, pronounced beats, variable/randomly changing pulse rate, mitral valve prolapse/ lagging valves, three beats instead of two, the list is endless! Yet my blood pressure has always been ok. All brought on by Lyme in Nov 08. At the moment it's settled down some - anyway.

One thing to try...

If your friend has not had any antibiotics for more than a month (at least), then with the doctors ok try this:

1. Monitor the heart for a reference in a relaxed state at around 5-7am while still laid in bed. This is when the brain is sending reduced strength nerve signals to the peripheral and central nervous system including the hearts valves and muscles. It is in this condition where the borrelia bacteria can cause most disruption to heart nerves as the bodies nerve drive is reduced i.e. all limbs etc are uncontrolled etc. Thus the borrelia activity disrupts the bodies/brains weaker drive of motor control and sensory feedback nerve signals.

2. Take 1 x 500mg tablet of amoxicillin 3pm and another 500mg casual at 11pm (both without food). Drink 1 pint of water with each tablet. Go to bed at 12pm midnight. Food OK half hour after a tablet.

3. Repeat step 1 at the same time as the first ref was taken. If the heart has improved (mine goes completely back to normal but only for up to a day and then slowly degrades again over the next day back to how it was) then borrelia could be the cause of your heart problem. Further amoxi does not repeat the fix.

This effect is due to the SHOCK arrival of amoxi, making the bacteria change into the protective ball form. The borrelia subsequently analyses the threat and then comes back out knowing it can adapt and cope.

Go to youtube and search for `borrelia penicillin' and watch the 5 star'd Lyme bacteria Cyst formation with detail video. This shows the effect an antibiotic has on the bacteria and how it adapts to protect its self. Unfortunately it can re-form from the protective state.

If this doesn't work the condition could still be borrelia related as the strains of borrelia and the range of antibiotics to suite are immense.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor and only try the above with doctors guidance and authority.

Hope this helps and anyone else with Lyme heart.
Peter

PS Lymies read http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8248020.stm
fingers crossed helps on it's way

Posts: 47 | From Yorkshire, UK | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=269903

http://www.springerlink.com/content/q61u576517726740/

MVP (mitral valve prolapse) is directly related to very low Mg levels...which happens in lyme.

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=1907859

Keep in mind the above was looking at OspA, not OspB or OspC...IMO...big mistake!

Specifics:

Bb binds to our norepinephrine and epinephrine to express its OspA.

"Blocking norepinephrine slows down the nerve impulses that travel through the heart. The heart then needs les oxygen and blood and starts to pump slower."

As a defense move during lyme, we upregulate melatonin which lowers dopamine (bad, but) dopamine is used to make norepinephrine...

Less dopamine = less norepinephrine.

epinephrine comes from norepinephrine.

Propranolol, a beta-adrenergic blocker decreases OspA.

Then all we have to try to deal with is OspB (big problem) and OspC (which is not problematic)

And then the CWD form...

[ 09-13-2009, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: Marnie ]

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hcconn22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5263

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hcconn22   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Babesia will cause heat problems like you describe-- it also thickens the blood which again causes pumping problems.

Your friend should be tested for Lyme, Babesia and other co-infections such as mycoplasm pnomonia which can all cause heart problems.

Lyme also caused inflammation and will settle in the heart and damage heart valves.

Had all of the above but resolved greatly after several months of treatment.

--------------------
Positive 10 bands WB IGG & IGM
+ Babesia + Bartonolla and NOW RMSF 3/5/09 all at Quest

And still positive ELISA and WB two years after IV treatment
http://www.lymefriends.org/profile/blake

Posts: 607 | From Tick Town, Connecticut | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement