LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » It's Seasonal and My Lyme is Worse :(

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: It's Seasonal and My Lyme is Worse :(
kidsatlast
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsatlast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Everyone,
I don't post a lot but I do read Lymenet a lot. I've had Lyme for over 20 years and I've made a lot of progress over the years with abx and LLMDs but I get much worse when the seasons change. (I live in New England)

For example, last summer I was feeling about 85% well, I was swimming laps daily, my cognition was good, and my body pain was gone. I am a person who is always helped by sun exposure and taking vitamin D3 just isn't the same.

Lately I have been feeling much worse since September. I have more fatigue, aches and pains, nerve pain in my hands and feet and sometimes stomach pain after eating.

I have been thinking that between all of the LLMD visits, abx and many, many alternative therapies, one of the best therapies for me seems to be a livestyle change to be in a warm climate.

What I really want to do is to go to Florida for three months this winter. The rents are very cheap this year due to the economy. I feel guilty to uproot my three school age children and put them in new schools in Florida for three months, so I am trying to feel OK about this. My quality of life is really poor in the winter months and I just don't feel like I can go through another New England winter with all the cold and darkness and with having worse Lyme symptoms.

I care a lot about my kids' happiness and I want them to have the best education, which I think they have right here in New England, but I also feel weary from fighting Lyme so long and I think that I could function so much better in a sunny climate.

I would really appreciate anyone's experience, viewpoint or ideas on this, either from the point of view of a fellow Lyme sufferer or from the point of view of a mother trying to balance her needs against those of her children.

Thanks!

Posts: 156 | From MA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beautiful Disaster
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beautiful Disaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think I could put myself before my kids. I don't think I could uproot my child, the main reason is if he was in school. It's very hard and stressful for kids to start at new schools. I would just tough it out for 3 months, rather than do that to my kids.

Maybe talk to your llmd as to why this is happening? I live in Florida and I hate the hot, it doesn't make me feel any better, but then again, I don't get out in the sun much.

Have you thought about moving down here permanently? Our winters are NOT cold! It was 93 here in Tampa yesterday, it's the middle of October! I hate it but most people love it who move here, I guess I'm the odd man out! If you feel better in the heat, can you move here permanently so that your kids can stay at one school?

If it's the actual sun exposure, I don't know and don't think that tanning beds replicate whatever is benefiting you from the sun, but maybe you could try it? It's not good for you though!

But to answer your question, I wouldn't make my kids adjust to a new school, then 3 months later, have to adjust to being home and to their "old" school. But, only YOU know your kids and how adaptable they are. How old are they? Have you talked to your kids about this? Are you married? Have you talked to your husband?

--------------------
---Beautiful Disaster---
IgeneX WB: IgM: 18+, 31+, 41+, 58+, IgG: 31++, 39 IND, 41++, 31kda Epitope Test: Positive
Labcorp: IgM: 23+, 41+
No LLMD due to money since Sept 2008. Was on Doxy, I.V. Rocephin (30 days), Flagyl. Also dx with Bartonella.

Posts: 139 | From United States, East Coast-ish | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidsatlast
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsatlast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the thing, I ALWAYS put my kids first and they are very much loved and I have devoted my life to them. But it is not good for them to have a chronically ill mother.

I talked to my LLMD about moving to Florida and he suggested trying it out for a few months first before selling my house in New England and making a permanent move. My sister thinks it is a good idea for me to consider Florida. She knows about Lyme and has seen how it has affected me.

My kids are 9, 11 and 12 and they are outgoing and meet new kids and make friends easily. However, they like where we live now and don't want to move and leave their friends even for three months.

I am 56 but I look much younger but the point is I am feeling tired and need to help myself as I am a single parent and my kids rely on me exclusively.

Posts: 156 | From MA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How does the humidity affect you? I think Florida is more humid, right?

I do much better during the summer months as well and as soon as the weather shifted so did my symptoms once again...it is very mentally draining.

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WIZARD
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4597

Icon 3 posted      Profile for WIZARD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is Arizona a possibility? Hot and DRY. Spent a week there and never felt better in the 100 degree DRY heat.

Nothing like it.

Has got me thinking about moving there at a later date.

Posts: 252 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'll still be chronically ill in FL. Warmer weather won't make much of a difference.
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beautiful Disaster
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beautiful Disaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, trying it out for a few months to see how you like it is a good idea. I wasn't insinuating that you didn't put your kids first! I said that only you know your kids! The humidity is SO BAD here. It makes me completely miserable. It's so hot and humid here for the MAJOR majority out of the year, it's hard to take my little one out to play. A lot of parents wait until our "winter" to let their kids stay outside and play, go to parks, etc. It truly is miserable. I always picture it being the opposite of being somewhere where it is bitterly cold where you have to stay inside!

But, if it makes your pain ease up, I think it would be a good idea. Trying it out sounds like a good plan and your kids are older than I assumed! I am a single mom as well and my pain is so bad that I feel guilty because I don't feel like I am living up to my own standards as a mom. I'm not able to play as much and sometimes it's just plain hard to force a smile on my face. So, I really do feel your pain.

Kids need a mom who is healthy and as happy as possible. It is a chain reaction. A happy, healthy mom also usually means happy children. You do have to take care of you first, so that you can be in a good condition for them.

I didn't know you were thinking about making it long term. I just pictured packing up and leaving every year for 3 months and I thought it would be hard on the kiddos. Once you get here and stay for a while, you will be able to decide what you want to do. Good luck with whatever you choose!

And much respect to a single mom of 3 kids being able to move her family to another state on her own....a mom with Lyme, no less!

--------------------
---Beautiful Disaster---
IgeneX WB: IgM: 18+, 31+, 41+, 58+, IgG: 31++, 39 IND, 41++, 31kda Epitope Test: Positive
Labcorp: IgM: 23+, 41+
No LLMD due to money since Sept 2008. Was on Doxy, I.V. Rocephin (30 days), Flagyl. Also dx with Bartonella.

Posts: 139 | From United States, East Coast-ish | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidsatlast
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4308

Wow, thanks for all the thoughtful replies. It IS hard to know what to do. I will talk to some more people, but I value Lymenet input since you know what it is like to live with this "invisible" illness.
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also feel a lot better being in a warm, sunny climate.

I tend to go downhill in the winters. I think it is the lack of sunlight.

I think that it IS possible that a better climate will help, though it would probably not cure you completely. I think it would be possible to get to a better point without going to FL, but it would be harder, and I don't know the answer.

Could you have someone watch your children for a 10-14 days, and you could go down there and scope things out, see if it helps?

I would not judge you at all if you decided to move down there. My husband is currently job searching, and he is looking in the Southeast specifically for me and my health, since he watches me go downhill every winter.

When I go down south, I am still sick, but it is not as bad as how bad I get in the grey northern winters.

I grew up in the Tampa area, and based on how things were 10 years ago, the schools are can't really compare to some of the ritzier communities up North. Though there are places up North where it is bad too. You will have good, bad, and mediocre schools everywhere.

If you are worried about the schools, you may want to tour a couple first, and find one that you feel comfortable with.

You may find home prices are cheaper in smaller towns. Good luck!

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also get much sicker in October every year (and stay sicker for many many months). Guess what? I'm much sicker right now.

-- Mike

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Connieaag
Member # 15199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Connieaag     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll keep you posted. We are taking our daughter who has LD from Indiana to Florida in late December. Staying for 5 months. I'm beginning to think we should have left in September since it's been so dreary here in Indiana.

Our son is going to school in Bradenton, so we have an excuse to go. Doctors have told us to try it as well, but with a kid in HS and one sick, it's hard to just "go". With our sone down there now for his senior year, it makes the trial more feasible. We are worrying about the heat and sun issue too. It was brutal when we were down in September for a week visit. People tell us Jan - May will be much better though!

Posts: 93 | From Midwest | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From my understanding, Lyme Disease worsens in a seasonal transition regardless of which type of season it is and where the individual is located.

For example, if someones symptoms worsen in the Spring or Summer in Montana, that same person would experience a worsening of symptoms in Mexico if they happen to live there.

However, it is also true that "stressors" of a season change (such as to fall/winter) can induce symptoms if the individual is subjected to the environment which induces symptoms i.e. extreme cold or hot weather. There is a distinct difference between this observation and the one where an individual worsens regardless of environment, where time factors and cycles of the infection itself play the role.

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I live in the south and I gave my opinion in short form above. It doesn't matter if you live in the North, South, East or West. Moving will not change your symptoms.

However, I can see how it might help your mood. A shorter winter, more sunshine, etc is much better than grey skys all the time and freezing temperatures.

Also going to the beach even in the winter months can be relaxing which is something you can do in FL. So in that regard I can see moving south.

I just don't want you to be disappointed and think your body is going to somehow feel better just because you moved south.

The spirochete doesn't know or care where you live!

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nomoremuscles
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nomoremuscles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sunny summers and heat are much better for me, too. I wish I could move someplace warm. Hell, I wish I could walk around the block.
Posts: 844 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigmamabean
Member # 22858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigmamabean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the same problem. The cold is unbearable. I know it is a no-no but as soon as it starts to get cold I run (well it's more like a feeble hobble) to the tanning beds. The heat helps alot! I also take alot of hot baths in epsom salts or dead sea salts, drink alot of ginger tea, and use 2 buckwheat spa blankets, booties & mittens I can heat up in the microwave and stay toasty warm. I am saving my pennies for a heated matress pad & really good electric blanket. I understand wanting to move to a warmer area, I was saying the same thing last week. The tanning has really helped me get through the winter, give it a try and see if it helps
Posts: 4 | From Baltimore Md | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement