LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter




The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive


The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Found Mold in Britta Water container, not feeling well.

 - UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Found Mold in Britta Water container, not feeling well.
Skyler
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11549

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Skyler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yesterday night, I found mold growing around the top of my Britta Water filter container.

I went to my parents house for 10 days for a visit, and forgot to clean it when I got back. I usually clean it every week or so. My vacation gave it time to grow I suppose

Since I got back from my trip, I have been feeling really sick. Symptoms I never really experienced before and I have been looking for a reason why I have been feeling so sick since I got back.


Could the mold be the reason??? and If so what do I do???


I did not start feeling sicker immediately when I returned. It took a few days, and then I just kept feeling progressively worse.

Symptoms:
loss of appetite
Diarrhea at first, not any more
shaky feeling
feeling in my stomach as though I am falling
weakness - (could be from lack of eating from lost appetite)
Vomiting (this has been going on since thursday)


I have had these symptoms for about one week. And its so bad it just feels like I am dying.


I have been on IV Vancomycin for 2 months and just finished up that option and now my doctor is having me start IV Doxy tomorrow.

I am really scared because I feel the worst I have felt almost ever and I have spent 2 years of my life now doing treatment (and started feeling much better about a year ago) then I slid backwards and feel as though I have lost all progress.

Could this be a mold infection???

Thank you so much for your time.

--------------------
I'm probably sleeping...

Posts: 419 | From Florida | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mold growing around the top of the container doesn't mean there is mold in the filter part.

You eat mold spoors all the time.
The stomach acid destroys them.

I'm not sure why you're having these symptoms, but I would suggest seeing your doctor to be evaluated, and maybe get some blood tests.

Carol

Posts: 6942 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skyler
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skyler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh ok. Yeah, the mold is on the container, not the filter. I went ahead and just bought a new one. The old one's time was up anyway as it was broken and warn out.

I talked to my doctor and they have decided to run some tests.

I just can not figure out why I have made such a decline in the past week. I feel as bad as I did before I ever got treatment.

Thanks for your help! [Smile]

--------------------
I'm probably sleeping...

Posts: 419 | From Florida | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get rid of the whole thing!! Mold + lyme is a disaster.

It's not the spores that make one sick so much as the toxins that the mold generates. Your immune system has to make antibodies to get rid of the toxins. Some people (me unfortunately) don't make enough of those antibodies. We get really sick when exposed.

You can have an allergy to mold too. The toxins can make you as sick as lyme. The toxins are just as toxic as lyme toxins for some people. Read Dr. S's book "Mold Warriors".

I was told by a mold testing lab that the so called toxic molds are only slightly more toxic than just about any other mold for those of us who have this problem.

Because mold depresses your immune system, you can have a flare from your other infections AND it can make getting rid of infections more difficult.

I would get a binder on board to help you get rid of the toxins quickly.

Activated Charcoal (62% as effective as Cholestyramine)
Cholestyramine (prescription only)
Micronized Chitosan
Montmorillonite or bentonite clay is used in the feed and food industry as a mycotoxin binding agent.
Peach Tree Extract
modifilan (brown seaweed extract)

THROW THE BRITTA IN THE GARBAGE AND TAKE IT OUT OF YOUR HOUSE ASAP!!!

Terry

Posts: 6282 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it really important to wash brita pitchers often? We do it like once a month.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gert
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gert     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found mold around the lid of mine too and all I do is soak it in a little bleach water and then put in the dishwasher.
Posts: 261 | From NW Pa ~ Crawford County | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
   

Quick Reply
Message:

HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins
   


Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:


Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement

Powered by UBB.classic™ 6.7.3


The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations. If you would like to support the Network and the LymeNet system of Web services, please send your donations to:

The Lyme Disease Network of New Jersey
907 Pebble Creek Court, Pennington, NJ 08534 USA


| Flash Discussion | Support Groups | On-Line Library
Legal Resources | Medical Abstracts | Newsletter | Books
Pictures | Site Search | Links | Help/Questions
About LymeNet | Contact Us

© 1993-2020 The Lyme Disease Network of New Jersey, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Use of the LymeNet Site is subject to Terms and Conditions.