LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » H1N1 parties?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: H1N1 parties?
Starfall1969
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall1969     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone else heard about people having H1N1 parties to deliberately expose themselves to this flu?

I've heard of chicken pox parties, but I don't think that's near as bad as exposing yourself to H1N1.

The local news just did a story on it.

Posts: 1682 | From Dillsburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've only heard it on the news, never heard of someone actually having one. I don't know why you'd want to deliberately expose yourself to the flu.

I understand chicken pox parties .... it's better to get it young and you're immune for life.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have actually been hoping I would get H1N1 to just get it over with.

I'm worried it will mutate later on and be more difficult to treat.

And I plan on having children in the next few years, and I don't want to get it while I'm pregnant, because it can be bad for the baby, but I also don't want to get the vaccine.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
same stupid idiots who were partying at some club right on the water at galveston when the hurricane came in.

they died....

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I think the logic here is that if the H1N1 virus gets deadly - more similar to the 1918 swine flu - it's better to get the flu now so you have immunity should things turn ugly.

I can see the logic, but ..... having had the swine flu in 1976, I'm not sure I want to risk going through that kind of illness again. Even with my trusted 'arsenal' of homeopathics waiting in the wings, I'd have to be pretty convinced that going to a flu party would protect me from something worse.

Sorry, Betty, but I have to disagree with you on this one. Getting the flu, or getting flu shots, have caused a lot of Lymies to relapse in the past, so discussions of the flu are pretty pertinent to those with tick-borne infections.

I hope you understand that, and hope you can put up with discussions that are indirectly related to those with Lyme.

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure I got the swine flu in 1976 .. I know I had a bad flu somewhere around that time.

So I hope that helps!!

I wouldn't do a "party" .. no way. And I wouldn't wait out a hurricane in Galveston!! It's an ISLAND.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 95252 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfall1969
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall1969     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My line of thinking here (and sorry for not clarifying) was a concern that people in my area may be thinking it's a good idea and then inadvertently infecting kids who go to school with my son, and then my son brings it home to me, the Lymie.

There is so much of who knows what around here already--I heard that my hometown school was missing 25% of the 3rd grade the other day,

no word on the other grades.

I'm afraid to leave the house now, without worrying about who I come in contact with who might have had the ahre-brained idea to attend one of these.

Posts: 1682 | From Dillsburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i deleted my post ... hugs
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I sure as hell didn't plan it; but Blake and Cody both have Swine Flu, so if Ryan and I get it I guess we will have inadvertently had a "party" here in the Will household. If you're interested, now is the time to come on over and touch our tissues.....!!!

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, thank you, Betty. I REALLY appreciate your understanding. You're a peach!

I'm so sorry, Tracy9. I saw your other topic. Somehow you've still managed to maintain a sense of humor with all that's going on, lol! Hang in there.

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IckyTicky
Member # 21466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IckyTicky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I've actually been sort of hoping we would get H1N1 in our household too. Before the more deadly strain comes about..to have some antibodies.

I dunno.

--------------------
IGM: 18+, 23+, 30+, 31+++, 34+, 39IND, 41++, 58+++, 66+, 83-93IND
IGG: 31+, 39IND, 41+
Also positive for Mycoplasma Pneumoniae and RMSF.
Whole family of 5 dx with Lyme.

Posts: 1014 | From Texas | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Tracy...

I haven't had that sweet of an offer for a long while. Bless your little pea-picking heart.

So nice of you to offer to let us touch your tissues.

Ain't LymeNet grand?

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20352 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Tincup, I'm sure she'll mail them to you if you can't make it to her house!

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think by this one being so deadly in certain

people it has to be something in the genetics.

I would say if you have a long family history of

illness' dating back several generations, you

would not want to do this. I know when the

chicken pox vaccine came out lots of parents

were doing this because they had rather have

their child develop natural immunity that would

last vs the jab that was know to not and as a

result could leave that older teen/adult open to

the virus that is known to be a lot harder in

adults. If they do get the whatever flu, it

would have to be documented or you may have to

take a jab anyway... So they say no need to go

to doc but for me that would be the best reason.

Documentation....

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am really worried about the swine flu, so I can understand people having the parties to get sick and get it over with, but the whole thing kind of freaks me out. I'm so afraid to get sicker than I am already and I'm afraid of complications.

I wish I would have been tested in August when I got sick with what seemed like a flu or cold. Don't know now if it was the swine flu though as it was pretty mild as I didn't really have a fever with it, unless it was just low grade. It just consisted of a sore throat for about 5 days, runny nose, a little cough and congestion (but not too bad), a little nausea, muscle aches and headache. The entire thing lasted for about 10 days to totally get over it.

This was in August and I was at the beach most of the time I had it. LOL. A cold/flu in the summer and at the beach is not natural, so I am hoping that that was the swine flu for me, but I guess we'll never know. [Frown]

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey tracy, i could come and clean your house for ya and then kill all the germs.

mike says i don't clean i persecute!!!!

besides if there's anything living in this house other than me, they better be paying rent!!!

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
randibear [lol] [lol] your ending was so cute!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skyler
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skyler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow, thats such a bad idea. Why would anyone in their right mind do that???

Some of the people I have talked to who have had it said it was like having the flu x 10. I would never subject myself to the regular flu, let alone a flu that can get you so sick.

Are they just looking to get out of work or something???

The people who die of this flu are people who have particular kinds of health problems. I don't feel its actually going to become More deadly.

The flu 'outbreak' of the 70's had people and the government so concerned of possible deaths, they rushed the vaccine and that year only 2 people died of that strain of flu. 22 people died from the vaccine.

I will try my luck without both the vaccine and the parties.

I don't know why people assume they are going to get it so they would purposely expose themselves to it. That logic sounds seriously flawed.

--------------------
I'm probably sleeping...

Posts: 419 | From Florida | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement