LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Stabbing head pains

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stabbing head pains
kitkat32
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9682

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitkat32     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone else having/had stabbing head pains?

Mine are to the right and just below my occipital bone. I have had a headache for 7 days today along with these stabbing pains. Area is tender to touch too.

Had CT last week and was good. MRI 2 months ago and was good except my one small friend lesion.

I have a phone consult with LLMD tomorrow. Just wondering if this is a common condition.

Thanks, kit

Posts: 655 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tick battler
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 21113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tick battler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not sure, but I think the stabbing pains may possibly be bartonella. Just a guess though based on what I have seen with my husband's symptoms. They increased for a short time when he started Levaquin for bart.

I do think it is common.

tickbattler

Posts: 1763 | From Malvern, PA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitkat32
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9682

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitkat32     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks tick battler,

It is scaring the you know what out of me. Nothing seems to relieve it. It happens multiple times a day and then I am left with an aching headache.

The head pain eased up a little since yesterday. I didn't want to go back to the ER for the 4th time for some medication so I am happy for that.

I guess it scared me cuz it's in my head and I of course think the worst. That would be my very best friend anxiety attacking me....blah.

kit

Posts: 655 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LizaLu
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LizaLu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get stabbing head pains too...altho lab positive for Lyme WB-IgM, i tested neg for co-parties. Last nite, i read a phamplet from CA Lyme Disease Assoc and it said stabbing pains are part of neuro-lyme.

I get these especially after adding lumbrokinase (blood thinner and possible cyst buster) and when i drank a very concentrated cilantro tea.

My CT and MRI's have always been normal...altho i had clear MS symptoms. Glad you are seeing multiple docs and hope you find the right answer for you!

Posts: 123 | From Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LizaLu
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LizaLu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kit, if you can afford it...i can tell you the only thing that helps me on occasion is to go get a deep tissue massage...with pressure pointing on the head, neck, and back. Anxiety--oh you are soo not alone...but its not in your head!
Posts: 123 | From Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myco
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get very scary head spasms. Feels like someone squeezing an artery in my head. Sometimes happens with exertion like stair climbing. Negative MRI's also.

Also get disoriented when it happens, shakey, BP spikes, clammy. But not like a panic attack, more like a stroke/TIA feeling.

My LLMD doesn't know what it is.

Posts: 770 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennyflyer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12792

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jennyflyer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get them as well. When they first started years ago, I got so scared thinking it was an aneurism. Problem is, now I've become so complacent about the pain that if I really do have an aneurysm, I'll probably ignore it.

Nothing helps it.

--------------------
Jennifer

Posts: 266 | From Ocean County, NJ | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitkat32
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9682

Well I guess I have some company in this miserable symptom. I am considering a massage so thanks for that tip.

I have my nursing graduation on Friday and between these head pains, vertigo and anxiety I don't know if I can walk the stage for my pinning.

Really looking forward to my phone appt. at 330. I am very doubtful of MS. I have had 4 spinal taps in the past, negative evoked potentials, my MRI just showed one lesion that was not indicative of anything.

ER doc thought I might have had a subarachnoid bleed but since the valium eased the pain he said it was not really possible. He was going to do the spinal tap right then if the pain didn't subside.

I am getting ready to lay on some moist heat right now.

Neuro gave me valium to take every 6hrs to try and break the pain. It wears off though before the next dose and I have to be able to function for my two kids plus all my graduation stuff going on this week.

I am so disgusted to be going down this road again.

Thanks so much for your support and input..it means more than you could know.

kit

Myco
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just so you know, I know another Lyme patient who said 25mgs of the betablocker Atenolol stopped his headaches/stabbing pains.
Posts: 770 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Moonchild
Member # 23147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moonchild     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just recently had severe headaches for 10 days straight. I'm not used to having headaches often and nothing I took seemed to work- I just waited it out.
I hope your head feels better soon.

Posts: 15 | From NY | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have frequent migraines and headaches 2-3 times per week to every day. And I get pain like what you're describing---feels like someone is driving a stake into my head and neck.

What works for me (and you may not need ALL of this) is: 2.5 mg of Vicodin (that is an ES tablet cut into 1/4's), 2 Ibuprofen, and Maxalt, which is a migraine med. Sometimes 2 of these will do it.

In your case, maybe just the low-level Vicodin would do it, or that plus Ibuprofen. And then I take tea to off-set being out of it from the codeine, if I need to function.

And, yes, the Atenolol helps me quite a bit. It's sad we have to do this, but . . . pain is terrible, and it gets worse, if you let it go too long.

Posts: 3747 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitkat32
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9682

Thank you all so much for your suggestions.

I was given Demerol and Dilaudid but the pain just came back.

My neuro started me on Verapamil which is a calcium channel blocker. I started taking it on Tuesday but I have to call him today.

I was getting bad hypotension yesterday. I took my BP and it was 90/48. Maybe it is too high of a dose.

If it doesn't break by this evening I think I might have to ask for something really strong just to break the cycle.

I am wondering if a shot of Imitrex would work even though this isn't a typical migraine for me.

Hope everyone has a good day. I am up extra early so I can lay on my heating pad and take some xanax before school.

Love, kit

lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had suffered this type of pain and hopefully can offer something to help you.

Since you mentioned the area is 'sore', my guess is that this is really a muscle spazm, not a migraine. If you take your knuckle and feel around the back of your skull, you will probably find one or more spots that kill and you don't even know it. The 'jabs' are actually referred pain.

I spent months thinking I had a brain aneurysm because my head hurt so much and had the shooting pains, often in different places ... Only to have my LLMD jab her knuckle into a spot on the back of my head. When pressed extremely hard, the top of my head and jaw stopped hurting (but the spot she jabbed hurt like crazy).

Muscle spazms typically are from
1. Bad posture and
2. - MAGNESIUM DEFICIENCY

They will NOT go away on their own, and need to be broken up. There are several options.

What worked for me was Trigger Point Injections. Basically, a needle full of Lidocaine (which blissfully numbs you) is injected into the spazm. The needle breaks up the spazm.

I think I may have had as many as 6 shots into the back of my skull at one time. I had this done at my LLMD's, and continued at Pain Management.

Note of caution: Pain Mgt guys love you jam you full of 'anti-inflammatories', even with trigger point injections. So if you go that route, insist they not give you anything but the Lidocaine.

Another thing you can do at home is locate the offending area, and either have a strong loved one or yourself jam your knuckle into it as hard and as long as you can take it. It's like a thumb war - sooner or later something will give.. Follow up with heating pad.

And of course, get a RBC Magnesium test. If you're low, work to bringing levels up through IV or IM - orals won't cut it.

Hope this helps.

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2257 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitkat32
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9682

Thank you Julie,

I wonder if my neuro would do a lidocaine injection since my LLMD appt. isn't for a couple weeks. My phone appt. is today.

I am going to try to have my husband use his knuckles on my head. Hopefully that will give some relief.

It is not as bad now as yesterday but the all over head pain is still occuring with the occasional jab.

Somehow I made it to school this morning. Thankfully we were only there for 2 hours.

Thanks everyone for all the wonderful suggestions.

kit

Amanda
Member # 14107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If this is a trigger point, then you will need to get someone to put pressure on the knot and hold it for a couple of minutes, until it releases. this can hurt, if you have a muscle relaxer, take that first because that can help.

But, it could also be lyme. I get piercing head pains with Babesea.

As with anything, you should talk to your LLMD and other doctors, because it might be somehitng else...

--------------------
"few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" - Mark Twain

Posts: 1008 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitkat32
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9682

My hubby pressed on the back of my head today. Just below and to the right and left of occipital bone. It hurt like HECK!

He said it felt squishy there too.

Still waiting for my phone appt. It was supposed to be at 330 but office was busy. Told to call back at 4...they were still busy..now they are going to call me back. Hopefully it will be tonight still.

kit

Starfall1969
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall1969     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry you're dealing with this.

I've had what feels like a migraine since Sunday night and it is still with me.

It had let up somewhat this afternoon, but now it's back with a vengeance.

Of ciurse, I'm also thinking aneurysm or brain tumor, especially with the sudden onset.

But I have noticed that my jaws hurt again, and my neck/head hurt when I turn my head, so maybe it's muscle related.

I'm also getting the almost numb feeling in my head, likr I get when the pain is REALLY bad.

Just when I think I'm making progress, everything is going to hell again. [Frown]

Posts: 1682 | From Dillsburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitkat32
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9682

Sorry Starfall, Headaches are no fun. They stop me in my tracks. I am getting ready to lay down on my heating pad again.

You have probably tried this but just in case you didn't how about moist heat. Wetting a dishtowel and putting it on a heating pad might relax your muscles a bit. The wet towel works better than those microwave heat wraps.

I also put an ice pack on forehead if that is pounding too. That doesn't make it go awhile but it feels nice on there.

Had my LLMD phone appt. I am going to start a new thread on it.

kit

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had this while going thru lyme and babesia treatment. Was bad, but not horrible.

I began taking cortef for adrenals about 5-6 yrs ago. About one year ago I decided to try to wean myself off of it.

Oh my! The stabbing head pain became completely unbearable. Went back to taking the cortef and it went away.

I have mild pains occasionally, but nothing like the above.

The only problem is, you'd be pretty much stuck with taking the cortef long term and/or forever.

I think it is cranial nerve pain of some sort .. not from a trigger point or muscle tightness.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 95647 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitkat32
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9682

Thanks Lymetoo,

I will look into that. Does is take it completely away? That would be heaven. I am ready to chop my head off.

I will discuss more with LLMD when I go in on the 15th. I have to say though...I goto an excellant very recommended LLMD but I like the PA and NP more.

They take so much time and show such sympathy.

Thanks again, kit

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, just occasional headaches and minor pains. I guess it is inflamed nerves. The cortef is a hydrocortisone. Not good, but OK in low doses. I only take 10mg a day.

You're right... it's better than cutting your head off!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 95647 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz D
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liz D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mine is like long needles being stabbed into my brain. inside the skull bones. very painful indeed.....
Posts: 234 | From BC Canada | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gahagan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gahagan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could be pain from TMJ dysfunction. Mine cause excrutiating pain on/in the entire right side of my head. The other half felt completely fine, but the right side was horrendous. My eye, ear, nasal passage, all my teeth, my neck and shoulder hurt so bad I was in tears. (okay...more than tears...I was sobbing).

Pain meds didn't touch it.

What worked? Finding a dentist that recognized the TMJ dysfunction and understood how an abnormal bite can cause such pain. Lyme, can also be associated with TMJ dysfunction.

Posts: 212 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement