LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Just back from hospital stay

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Just back from hospital stay
RZR
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RZR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I spent 3 days in the hospital for the intolerable stomach pain & burning. They did a CAT scan and scope but nothing was found. The internal med MD that saw me said Lyme really did not exist in TN, so I must be a really rare case. I wanted to tell him how IGNORANT he really is, but I somehow managed to bite my tongue.

The GI doc was very good though and knew more about lyme that the IM doc. I had a CAT scan and scope but nothing showed up. He said he suspected yeast but that was not the case. The GI doctor said it has to be lyme. He said he wished he could help me because he does know lyme definitely exists and can affect basically your whole body.

I asked my LLMD a couple of weeks ago if it could be bart but he said no. I plan on seeing another doc who tests for co-infections, but he is not a LLMD but has trained with one.

Thanks for all the help.

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

Posts: 2329 | From SouthEast | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's what I thought! You disappeared and we were worried about you. Figured you were in the hospital. Glad you went to get checked out.

Hooray for the GI doctor..!! The only one with a brain!!!

So no new meds or anything to help you?? Are you feeling better?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 95725 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RZR
Member # 20953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RZR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:
That's what I thought! You disappeared and we were worried about you. Figured you were in the hospital. Glad you went to get checked out.

Hooray for the GI doctor..!! The only one with a brain!!!

So no new meds or anything to help you?? Are you feeling better?

Meds prescribed are Prilosec, Lyrica, & Bentyl. Any thoughts on Lyrica? I am also having arm & leg burning. I don't want to cover up lyme symptoms with meds because then how will I know when lyme is in remission?

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

Posts: 2329 | From SouthEast | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
street129
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for street129     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my leg burns me too, and my back and stomach........

--------------------
IgM: Neg Neg 34IND 39IND
41+ 83-93IND

IgG: Neg Neg 41+

cfs, hhv6, mycobacterium, hsv1, cmv, pirovirus, and Epstein Barr virus.... digestive system

GOD GIVE IT, AND GOD CAN TAKE IT AWAY

Posts: 655 | From new york | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do a search here on Lyrica. Many have trouble taking it due to it making them feel so groggy and foggy. I hope it works for YOU!!

Prilosec should help... if you still have trouble after being on it for a month, ask your dr to consider Nexium. The prilo may work though and it's cheaper!!

Bentyl.. I've taken that before and it works well.. may cause constipation, so be ready for that one. I think it relaxes the intestines.

I think you'll know when you're in remission!! [Smile]

So is the stomach better yet?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 95725 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwb
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's some info on Lyrica on WebMd.com. Approximately 1700 users rated it three stars out of five.

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-93965-Lyrica+Oral.aspx?drugid=93965&drugname=Lyrica+Oral

Gary

Posts: 1349 | From OK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RZR
Member # 20953

quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:
Do a search here on Lyrica. Many have trouble taking it due to it making them feel so groggy and foggy. I hope it works for YOU!!

Prilosec should help... if you still have trouble after being on it for a month, ask your dr to consider Nexium. The prilo may work though and it's cheaper!!

Bentyl.. I've taken that before and it works well.. may cause constipation, so be ready for that one. I think it relaxes the intestines.

I think you'll know when you're in remission!! [Smile]

So is the stomach better yet?

Crap! I just did a search on drugdigest.com and Prilosec interacts with my sertraline, which hospital knew I was taking. Can you believe how you have to recheck everything and can't trust anyone? Hospital gave me Nexium the entire stay and then doc prescribed Prilosec...go figure! I think I'll try Maalox and forget it.

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

lilacs48
Member # 20025

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilacs48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jennie46...I take Lyrica. The start up side effects were not too good for me but once I got past them it has helped. I'm only able to take it at night....makes me spacey during the day. I had to stay on a lower dose but my body hurt so bad over 2 years ago (before Lyme diag.)that it was a relief for me.
Posts: 75 | From Missouri | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whew. Good to hear. Better safe than sorry.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
knshore
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13451

Icon 1 posted      Profile for knshore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I LOVE lyrica!!!! I have major disc problems in my spine and lyrica has saved my butt (literally!)

It used to make me dizzy, so I worked up my dose which my LLMD and neurologist at the time suggested people should do anyway.

I am one of the biggest advocates for lyrica ever!!!

As for the stomach burning, I have an ulcer and gastritis. My GI Dr (who is lyme literate and wonderful) put me on Carafate to help soothe my stomach in addition to Zegerid which is a PPI.

My LLMD approved all his med choices.

Just be careful if you do get carafate, it has to be taken 2 hours away from all other meds.

Posts: 215 | From Student | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Intestinal problems can be a symptom of Bart----or Lyme. It sounds like you need a better LLMD when possible.
Posts: 3748 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did they check you for C Difficile? Both A and B? Very important! They may only look for it when you have diarrhea, but that's not the only symptom. Make sure they test for it. And, of course, the tests can be wrong, if they are negative.
Posts: 3748 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymedOut
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymedOut     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had very bad burning in my stomach and around my rib area. I had a scope done and my GI doctor didn't see anything. It got do bad that I couldn't keep anything down anymore. My GI doctor had me switching medicine like crazy. Finally, another scope was done and a growth was found in my stomach. It was removed and I felt so much better after. It was sent off and was not cancerous.

Same thing happened to my grandma. She had a bleeding ulcer and her GI doctor did not see it until another scope was done. Sometimes, they just can't see what's going on at the moment. If it continues, I'd get another scope done.

I had a GI cocktail that worked wonders for me when nothing else helped. You may want to ask for that if it continues.

Feel better soon.

--------------------
The advice I give, should not be considered medical advice. My opinion comes from years of research and experience.

Posts: 233 | From Somewhere | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RZR
Member # 20953

quote:
Originally posted by LymedOut:
I had very bad burning in my stomach and around my rib area. I had a scope done and my GI doctor didn't see anything. It got do bad that I couldn't keep anything down anymore. My GI doctor had me switching medicine like crazy. Finally, another scope was done and a growth was found in my stomach. It was removed and I felt so much better after. It was sent off and was not cancerous.

Same thing happened to my grandma. She had a bleeding ulcer and her GI doctor did not see it until another scope was done. Sometimes, they just can't see what's going on at the moment. If it continues, I'd get another scope done.

I had a GI cocktail that worked wonders for me when nothing else helped. You may want to ask for that if it continues.

Feel better soon.

That is exactly where mine is burning. It is also sore around the rib area. I have been in such agony, I thought for sure they would find something.

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

j_liz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for j_liz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have UC and my gi dr. says it could be from Lyme, but there haven't been enough studies on it and what has been done has been on peds.

I hate the burning arms and legs (sometimes other areas of my body). They had finally let up that is until we spread my bicillin shots out to 3 wks. [Frown]

My hubby noticed personality changes the 1st month I was on Lyrica, I didn't notice them. Each month the dose was increased, by the 3rd month I had serious suicidal ideations!

My niece does fine with it, although it hasn't helped her symptoms enough.

liz

PS I wanted to add that my gi dr. does send reports to my LLMD and he asked what her long term plan was for me.

[ 12-05-2009, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: j_liz ]

Posts: 471 | From NJ | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RZR
Member # 20953

If my stomach is torn up from all the abx, would that show on the EGD scope? I was too out of it to ask the GI doctor.

I feel that my lyme could be better since I was 6 weeks post tickbite when treatment started. I just don't know how I will know when to kick the abx and see.

[ 12-05-2009, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: jennie46 ]

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

sapphire101
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sapphire101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry you ended up in the hospital. I wondered what happened to you. Hope you feel better soon.
Posts: 495 | From KY USA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RZR
Member # 20953

quote:
Originally posted by sapphire101:
Sorry you ended up in the hospital. I wondered what happened to you. Hope you feel better soon.

Thank you.

I pray we can all beat this horrible disease.

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doxy also works against Bartonella.

I took Lyrica for at least a year. It did make me feel kind of high, but it dulled the pain. Later I just took it at night. Got tired of feeling spaced out all the time.

I am taking prilosec now. It does help a burning stomach, but it might take a few weeks to notice improvement. Its best to take it on an empty stomach.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopeforhealth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeforhealth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on Lyrica for 4 months after trying everything it was the only thing that gave me relief. Now looking back I have very few memory's from that time period. Between the lyme undiagnosed and the Lyrica making me extremely "high". It turned out I had to go off it as my hair started falling out in handfuls. It has taken over a year and my hair still has not fully recovered. I don't know how common that side effect is but being a female I would liked to have known about it in advance.

Good luck to you, I hope you find some relief.

Posts: 199 | From Niagara Falls | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shosty
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Taking Prilosec can encourage yeast and other overgrowths.

Both my daughter and I had similar symptoms (both GI and the burning arms and legs).

Our symptoms resolved by addressing hidden food allergies/sensitivities.

After 6 years on antibiotics for Lyme, with only a little progress, my burning symptoms went away completely when I gave up certain foods.

My daughter, who was also hospitalized for GI troubles and was a puzzle for MD's there, also
recovered by eliminating foods, in her case, dairy and gluten.

The results of this approach were amazing.

Taking these meds will address symptoms but not the cause. I would suggest seeing an alternative MD or nutritionist and doing an elimination diet, then rechallenging each food one at a time to identify problems. We eliminated gluten, dairy, corn, soy, citrus, nuts, others....

Prilosec suppresses the acid needed for digestion. Over the long term, common sense tells us that can't be the healthiest approach. Just an opinion...I am not a medical provider of course!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement