LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Has anyone treated with Wilsons Temperature Syndrome meds?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Has anyone treated with Wilsons Temperature Syndrome meds?
MariaA
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have any of you done the WTS protocol (for suspected thyroid issues due to Lyme or for other reasons)?

here's a very small study on the WTS protocol: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16883675?dopt=AbstractPlus

How'd it go? What point in your actual Lyme treatment were you, at that time?

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent find, Maria. Studies on WTS and/or Wilson's syndrome have been scant so it's good to see one that backs up some of the positive anecdotal reports.

It's something that I've been meaning to try because of elevated RT3, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Few docs are willing to use T3 only. It comes with risks if you elect to self-treat because finding the right dose of T3 may require pushing the envelop.

...and T3 supplementation should not be taken lightly.

Anecdotally, it has helped a good number of people...

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for posting this. I forgot about it.

I'm looking for info on hormone & thyroid treatments...

I haven't tried it - so, I can't offer any info on that end.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The sampling for the study is very small but the results are compelling. It is interesting that the study suggests it took almost 12 months for some patients to "reset." A T3-only experiment may take a good investment of time to pay off I guess but may be well worth it.

Fulltext
http://www.wilsonssyndrome.com/Assets/PDF/T3Article.pdf

--------------------

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cass A
Member # 11134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cass A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi!

I actually did the Wilson's Temperature (thyroid) Syndrome handling for 2 years before I found out I had Lyme, as I'd suddenly been unable to lose some weight, despite a very thorough program.

So, my take on it, was that I couldn't get my temperature to normalize, no matter what I did with the Wilson's treatment.

Ugh.

Now, after treating with Mepron/Zith for almost a year and then the Allergie-Immun drops, I'm starting to see my temperature in the normal range more often--for some months, it's a majority of the time!

Personally, I would use the Wilson's data on temperature to find out if one HAS a hypothyroid problem. For me, the treatment didn't handle the situation.

As a side note, one of the first things people on the Marshall Protocol notice, if they're taking thyroid meds, is that they now need less, and actually have to be slowly taken off them, in some cases.

This is another reason the MP is still on my list of possible alternatives.

The thyroid is SOOOO important for so many body functions.

Hope this helps!

Best,

Cass A

Posts: 1245 | From Thousand Oaks, CA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Almost every woman I know that had lyme has thyroid problems.

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tish
Member # 18029

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did the Wilson treatment for about a year, before I knew I had Lyme. I gave up on it. First, it was just too much stress (the cycling) and second, I was not myself on T3 (monotherapy) and third, it wiped out my adrenals further. (I can go into why all T3 is more work for the adrenals if you want.) I did some research and discovered that elevated reverse T3 is a sign of too much stress on the body due to disease or some other problem. Forcing it to speed up it's metabolism quickly with T3 meds just adds more stress. It's a complicated problem. Reverse T3 production is a way for the body to be forced to rest. It also aids in helping the body to rebuild. I feel it is better to address the underlying problems causing low thyroid function.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I just decided to go on natural thyroid permanently 7 years ago. I feel it was the best solution for me. The textbook, "Werner and Ingbar's the Thyroid" claims that you can get off thyroid if you don't need it. The gland will return to normal function if you get well from whatever is causing the problem, as long as it is not too damaged.

Posts: 31 | From TX | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coltman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coltman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tish:
I did the Wilson treatment for about a year, before I knew I had Lyme. I gave up on it. First, it was just too much stress (the cycling) and second, I was not myself on T3 (monotherapy)

Thanks for great feedback. Btw what do you mean your were "not on T3"? I mean protocol is in itself t3 - confused

quote:

(I can go into why all T3 is more work for the adrenals if you want.)

Please elaborate if its not too much trouble .Or maybe a link?

quote:

I did some research and discovered that elevated reverse T3 is a sign of too much stress on the body due to disease or some other problem. Forcing it to speed up it's metabolism quickly with T3 meds just adds more stress. It's a complicated problem. Reverse T3 production is a way for the body to be forced to rest. It also aids in helping the body to rebuild. I feel it is better to address the underlying problems causing low thyroid function.

Great points, though therapeutic trial of T3 protocol seems harmless .And if I get my temperatures in normal ranges I believe that I will be getting somewhere -as I do have low body temperature, never paid attention to it but seems all research points that it is problematic

I not sure though If I should finish a few cycles of abx first. - I mean seeing some visible progress would be nice and if that t3 thing works it might be just that.

Posts: 856 | From MA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone done just the adaptogens and other herbs that they recommend, without the T3? If so, what point in your Lyme treatment were you at (ie how healthy/had you treated Lyme already)?

I looked at the ingredients and a lot of the herbs in the formulas support adrenal gland functioning, and of course there are also herbs for thyroid function in the other supplements they suggest.

I didn't think most of the stuff in the formulas was particularly exotic, and I'm pretty sure you can buy it elsewhere. I'd just finished reading a section of a Buhner book that discusses the thyroid and adrenals, and what was in the Wilson formulas seemed to be in line with what other herbalists would recommend.

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Incidentally, I'm at a point where I'm much, much better after much Lyme and babesia treatment, and have another friend in the same exact condition (he had the same infections and treated for the same length of time)- and we both still have low body temps. I have low TSH and used Armour when I was extremely ill, and didn't see any difference. I'm curious now about whether to try this protocol at this point, since I'm so much better from the Lyme symptoms.

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

For those of you who have tried T3 only, what were your doses?

The study suggests somewhere between 90 and 105 mcgs approx. were used to reset the temps. In other words, if you low ball the dosing you may not achieve desired results. You may have to push the envelop...

--------------------

coltman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coltman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lymeorsomething:
For those of you who have tried T3 only, what were your doses?

The study suggests somewhere between 90 and 105 mcgs approx. were used to reset the temps. In other words, if you low ball the dosing you may not achieve desired results. You may have to push the envelop...

There is complete protocol there available. You start at 7.5 mg and use temperature measurements as a guide. Jumping to 90 mcg straight away is not in fact recommended.

Albeit I do question the length of time needed to find the right dose with such small steps

Posts: 856 | From MA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

It seems also that the T3 has to be compounded for sustained release or you run the risk of some serious sides.

Personally, I think plain T3 would be fine if one was disciplined and could space it evenly...some nine times per day [Smile] (OK, maybe a stretch....)

It's something that I really need to try as my hypothyroidism predates my lyme and I run cold at times and have elevated RT3 to boot...

--------------------

sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you considered iodine supplementation? It's kind of complex. It depends on your diet & whether your thyroid is in somewhat "normal" condition.

This article is fairly reasonable about it -

http://www.all-creatures.org/health/iodineandthy.html

also this -

http://www.jcrowsmarketplace.com/lugolssolutionofiodine.aspx

There's alot of other info about it on the internet.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

ps - fyi (this doctor is in NC)

Iodine Insufficiency FAQ

http://cypress.he.net/~bigmacnc/drflechas/iodine.htm

MariaA
Member # 9128

thank you everyone!

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

Cass A
Member # 11134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cass A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Maria,

I just saw this thread, and thought I should ad my two cents.

I was on the Wilson Temperature Syndrome meds for 2 years, trying to get my temperature to stabilize! This was before I found out that I'd contracted Lyme and Babesia (at least)!!

It didn't work.

My temperature started to come up near the end of about a year of Mepron/Zith. It's now fluctuating again while I'm taking the Allergie-Immun drops. It had better get and stay in the normal range before I'm done!!! LOL!!!

I've noticed that the medicos now say that "normal" is 97.6 and up. It just goes to show you that the level of chronic infection in the population has reached epidemic proportions, because these cause thyroid problems.

Best,

Cass A

Posts: 1245 | From Thousand Oaks, CA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheryl777
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheryl777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on T3 since June. My doctor started me with 7.5mcg, then jumped me to 15 and I felt like I was going nuts so I ultimately decreased and found the correct dosage which is 10mcg for me. I needed a pill cutter to do this. My LLMD wanted me to experiment with the dosage until I found the right one.

I take one 10mcg pill twice a day at exactly the same time using an alarm clock. I found a compounding pharmacy to provide my correct dosage.

My temps were very low - 95-96 range - and now I am at 97.6. The higher my temp, the better I feel. Of course I'm taking lots of antibiotics. My recovery has been in acceleration mode the last few weeks. Since I am on a low dose of T3, I will just stop taking it when the time is right rather than have to taper off.

Posts: 258 | From Spokane, WA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Sheryl, I've read that a lower dose may work to restore temp but may take longer, several months. You may benefit from taking more but spacing it throughout the day.

Your dose is very low in comparison to the studies I've seen but if it's working that's the main thing [Smile]

I'm on 50 mcgs currently and can tell that I'm going to need considerably more.

--------------------

canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bump
Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement