LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » IM CLAFORAN

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: IM CLAFORAN
ladyjenie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladyjenie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD is starting me on 2 shots a day of Claforan.

Can anyone tell me what to expect when giving the injections? Have you received benefit?

I'm to take my first injection in a medical facility and if no reaction I will begin giving my own injections at home.

I will also take 1-500mg. Biaxin a day.

Posts: 245 | From Texas | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joalo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12752

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joalo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up for help.

--------------------
Sick since January 1985. Misdiagnosed for 20 years. Tested CDC positive October 2005. Treating since April 2006.

Posts: 3228 | From Somewhere west of the Mississippi | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cockapoo1996
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cockapoo1996     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had IV Claforan for about 8 weeks a long time ago. The first IV I had in the docs office and had a horrible herx instantly.

So make sure you have someone to drive you home. Same the second time but then I didn't herx from it again.

It killed bugs but it was before I knew I had babesia also so it wasn't the end for me.

Posts: 472 | From New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyjenie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladyjenie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm concerned the injections will have the same type reaction but I'm on Oxymorphone for pain and wonder if I will be aware of the herxing as you were.

It's not that the Oxymorphone takes care of my pain 100%, some days I have more relief than others but it definitely helps.

The LLMD had me on Biaxin & Amox, 1000mg. each per day but I sleep so much I could only take half my dosage. He said that wasn't enough to do anything to the ketes so he suggested the IM Claforan.

My 'co' testing was done at LabCorp and all was negative but I've read their tests at not that accurate. Maybe the IM Claforan goes after the 'co's' as well as the Lyme.

Posts: 245 | From Texas | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joshzz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joshzz         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Calforan is a wonderful drug . If you're intent on knocking out a lot of the enemy bacteria, this may be your best shot. josh
Posts: 107 | From new jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyjenie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21098

Josh, where did you give your shots, I'm thinking of my thighs because I imagine they are quite painful. The LLMD suggested lidocaine cream to help with the injections.

I have been ill over 10 years so have a lot of bugs to kill.

Munch
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Munch   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi LadyJenie:

I've been on IM Claforan for about 15 months now. Sometimes I do just one shot a day, mostly depending on the oral meds that I'm on. Other times, I feel like what I'm doing is not working for me anymore. Then I go to 2 for awhile then I switch my oral meds and go back to 1 shot a day.

I do the shots in my thighs myself. Somewhere online there is a chart of where to do IM shots. I just followed the sites on the chart and rotated up and down my thighs.

I much prefer to gently push the needle through the skin. I pinch my right leg muscle up with my left hand and just rest the needle there. Then sort of bounce my way in with the needle. If that makes any sense. It's a two handed thing so the bouncing is more with my left hand while I'm holding the needle with my right.

I could have my hubs do the shot in my tush but he has a tendency to throw the needle like a dart which causes my muscles to clench up. Then I get this shooting cramp in the muscle. To me, this feels worse than the shot. This big old cramp.

What are you supposed to dilute your Claforan with? My LLMD has ordered one gram of Claforan powder to be mixed with 3 ml of Lidocaine which is great because the whole area where the shot is done is numb. I don't feel much pain from these at all.

First I inject 3 ml of air into the vial of Lidocaine then draw up 3 ml into the syringe. Then inject the Lidocaine into into the vial of powder and shake for 30 seconds.

I let it rest while I do my B12 shot. It's ready when it's a clear yellow liquid with no particles in it. Then I draw up 3 ml of air and inject that into the diluted Claforan.

If you get too much air the plunger is hard to push. If you get to little air in then the plunger
is hard to pull. After awhile, you'll get a feel for how much is right. Then I draw it up the mixed solution into a 5 ml syringe.

At this point, I change needles to a fresh sharp one because I have found that once one needle is used to push its way through 3 rubber stoppers (once into the Lidocaine, once into the Claforan and once out of the Claforan) it's dull. This just seems to cut down on amount of bruising and soreness that I feel in my legs.

Don't get me wrong on this. Some days you will have bruises on top of bruises from this therapy. Rotating sites is really important. Maybe it would help to keep a chart. I did in the beginning.

Have you gotten your order of Claforan yet? I had a very hard time getting this medication. My local pharmacy could not get it. Even the injectable arm of my mail order pharmacy associated with my prescription drug carrier does not carry it. I finally got 60 1 gram vials for a $10 copay through a compounding pharmacy in St. Louis using my insurance coverage.

As far as herxing goes, I'm not much of one. Mostly because I start with the smallest dose possible and work my way up to a bigger dose.

Overall, I do think this med helps me a great deal otherwise I would not have stuck with it for so long. My soup contains: Candida, CPN, mycoplasma pneumonia, EBV, Bb, Babs, Bart and/or a BLO.

I also have a diagnosis of asthma but have been inhaler free after 8 weeks after starting Minocin 3 years ago. They also have done biopsies of my pulmonary lymph nodes and have found sarcoidosis. For years I had horrible costochondritis or awful chest wall pain, which went away after 20 weeks of the Minocin.

I do feel something way deep down in my chest (it's kind of hard to describe) within a few minutes of injecting. Maybe it's the drug circulating but I sure hope it's the bugs dying off.

The hardest part of doing the IM shots is getting over the hurdle of doing the shot for the first time. After that, it's easy.

I must have watched a Youtube video for courage about 20 times. There are a bunch of them. I picked one of a small child getting vaccinated. Not to be sick but I figured if a little baby wasn't being a "big baby" about doing the shots then I could handle it. The video helped me get a sense of where to jab the first few times. I do remember breaking out in heavy sweats as I was getting the shot ready for the first time.

I am also on Oxymorphone or Opana ER for pain associated with spine compression fractures. I have good results with this med too. Oxycontin gives me MAJOR chest pain and I'm allergic to morphine.

I do like to time my shots about an hour after taking the Opana ER too. They just seem to hurt less when I hurt less. There are days when I feel like one big inflamed nerve ending no matter what I do. I guess that's the beauty of this crud.

If you have any more questions please feel free to send a PM. I wish you all the best and hope your spirochetes and other bugs die a nice death.

Posts: 192 | From Dwight, IL USA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
angrob75
Member # 16942

Icon 1 posted      Profile for angrob75     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did the IM shots for 5 weeks and just got a picc line put in but am still using Claforan.

As far as the shots go, my dr had me mix them with lidocaine which i definately suggest.
He also gave me lidocaine patches that i would put on the area about 30-60 minutes prior to the shot and they really were not that bad.
i did two shots a day.

You are going to think this is crazy but i looked up a video on the internet of how to give myself a shot and learned that way...and the dr also told me how to.

I was nervous at first but that went away after a while.
Good luck, if you have any ?'s send me a private message.

Posts: 55 | From ohio | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyjenie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21098

Munch and angrob75, thank you for explaining how to give these injections.

I've given myself Enbrel and B-12 but Claforan is new to me.

The LLMD's nurse was supposed to give me instructions on giving the injections but I waited quite a while on the nurse and finally decided we had to get on the road as we had a 5-hour drive ahead of us.

Is the lidocaine powder form, liquid, or cream? And is it OTC? I've used the lidocaine patches before and will ask my orthopedist for a script tomorrow when I go for Synvisc injections in both knees.

Munch, I got my med today, no problems except the pharmacy had to order it, took 1 day to get it. I think it's generic (Cefotaxime).

Sounds like such a pain in the bunn and time consuming to give these shots. I will probably have hubby to give the first few ones until I get comfortable with the process.

What gauge is your needle? 5ml seems to be a big needle, ACK!

Do you take anything in particular to detox? I have Zeolite liquid but don't know if that helps except for heavy metals.

My lyme test was sent to Igenex and was IgG positive. The co's were done at LabCorp and all negative. I have heard LabCorp's results are not all that accurate and the LLMD seems to think I have Babiesa (from the questionnaire) and I'm sure I have Candida.

Somehow I developed COPD/asthma from being in the bed 9 years. I've never smoked. I have sleep apnea and TMJ as well. I'm just praying the Claforan improves my body overall.

Thanks for the information, I could not do this alone.

Blessings,
Lady

joshzz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joshzz         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's amazing that you can give yourself IM injections. I assume the needles are as big as those given for bicillin another excellent drug for treating Lyme disease.
Posts: 107 | From new jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I don't think they are anywhere near that size.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joshzz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23526

That's amazing that you can give yourself IM injections. I assume the needles are as big as those given for bicillin another excellent drug for treating Lyme disease.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement