LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Feel like I am dying from lack of sleep.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Feel like I am dying from lack of sleep.
richedie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for richedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone else feel like they can barely make it through the day because they can't sleep no matter what!

No matter when I go to sleep, I can't make it more than 2-4 hours before I am wide awake for the night. It is a living hell! I know Dr. B says you will never get better if you get behind on sleep. Well, I am about as far behind as one can be.

****es me off, because I try! I go to bed early, take sleep aid supplements, even try over the counter sleep aids, but nothing! I can tak 4-5 Sominex and it does nothing other than let me sleep 2-3 hours.

Rich

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Doxy/Biaxin/Flagyl pulse.
Artemisinin with Doxy/Biaxin.
Period of Levaquin and Ceftin.
Then Levaquin, Bactrim and Biaxin.
Bactrim/Augmentin/Rifampin.
Mepron/Biaxin/Artemisinin/Cat's Claw
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Posts: 1949 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
madge
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for madge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rich, my hubby is going through the same problem..
sleep...no matter when he goes up to bed...its never longer the 3 sometimes 4 hours...and we have tried everything...yet another side effect to this
nasty disease...take care and hang in...Madge

--------------------
madgen

Posts: 342 | From newjersey | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
catskillmamala
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for catskillmamala     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sleeping is torture. I went through it bad at times.

I was having the problem of waking up the same time every night: 2:00 am. In Chinese medicine each organ goes through a recharge state at certain times of the day and that if I was waking up at the same time every night, it was related to a particular organ. For me it was liver.

Here is a link to something on that theory, not by my chiropractor, by someone else:

http://kerrchiropractic.wordpress.com/2008/03/21/the-meridian-organ-clock/

Posts: 524 | From Hudson Valley, NY | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
richedie, I have suffered with insomnia the whole time I've been ill; almost 4 years. What a horrid experience!

3 maybe 4 hours a night of sleep. Tried every sleep aid. I now use Ambien and Xanax and I can sleep 5 or 6 hours. Even with Ambien, I wake up after 3 hours of sleep, but usually can go back to sleep with another few hours. Its still not nearly enough.

Its an awful problem! I so feel what you are going through.

I do notice that if I stay away from any and all caffeine and take magnesium a few hours before bedtime, it helps a little.

Its a catch 22.....you need to sleep to get well and you can't sleep because your sick. So frustrating!

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sleep has been a major issue for me and other members of my family who are sick.

Over the years I've had some alternating problems such as waking up every few hours all night long or not being able to sleep more than a few hours and no dreaming which may indicate very little REM sleep. My brother and his son get their sleep hours turned around so that they are sleeping during the day and awake all night.

Turns out that 3 out of 5 of us have sleep apnea and another one has a problem with not getting enough oxygen during the night. Treatment for sleep apnea helped somewhat. I started dreaming again and was a little less likely to wake up constantly during the night.

I think anyone who can't sleep needs to have a sleep study to rule out any serious sleep disorders. Sleep apnea can be deadly if left untreated.

Another thing that has helped many in my family is dealing with methylation cycle issues. Just adding the active form of folate has helped every single person in my family sleep better. If you do have a problem with methylation and you start supplementing with the active form of folate (I use folapro by Metagenics) you must be careful because you can start to purge heavy metals and other toxins so you need to have things on board to mop up toxins.

I read in the KPU information that sleep and turning your hours around (sleeping during the day and awake at night) can be a symptom.

Not being able to sleep is miserable. Hope you get some answers soon.

Terry
I'm not a doctor

[ 12-26-2009, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: TerryK ]

Posts: 6282 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zil
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12048

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did the same thing for a few years. I didn't want to take sleeping pills because I was afraid I'd get addicted. I finally asked my Dr. for ambien. I take one at bedtime and when I wake 4 to 5 hrs later I take 1/2 tab. At this point I don't give a #%&* if I'm addicted or not. Could be worse. I sleep. When I feel better I'll deal with the ambien. Wish I would have asked for it a couple years earlier.

I did have a sleep study done and do have sleep apnea and use c-pap but made no difference. I still use the ambien.

Posts: 383 | From Ar | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gahagan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gahagan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I realize you've most likely tried this but sometimes a sleep mask, a couple tylenol PM (or anything with the sleep aid in it) AND "white noise."

There are several "white noise" machines on the market and many people find them helpful.

Posts: 212 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nil - sorry the cpap hasn't helped. I don't know what kind of machine you are using but I didn't sleep well with a cpap. I needed an apap. It adjusts pressure to increase when you need it and decrease when you don't. I find it quieter and I sleep a lot better with it than with the cpap.

You are probably using a humidifier but if not, that helps a lot too.

Terry
I'm not a doctor

Posts: 6282 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

I just read in the Insights To Lyme Treatment book that making sure that inflammation is controlled will make a big difference in ability to sleep. I find that it does for me.

Terry

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was at my sickest, I had to take Lunesta AND Lyrica. Lyrica will help you get deep sleep and stay asleep.

Once I got better, I took my time weaning off them .... it took six months.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for richedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I might ask my doc for Lyrica. We have a "white noise" machine, yes.

I have tried everything save prescription drugs. I am going to ask for Lyrica and hope it helps with nerve pain and sleep.

Why does a humidifier help? I will try it.

The worst part of not sleeping is the nausea. When I don't sleep, I am terible nauseous!

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Posts: 1949 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coltman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coltman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you tried sleep in those 2-4 hours intervals? Kinda similar thing sometimes happened to me, so I was coming from work - fall asleep for 2-4 hours (8-12pm), then awake for a few hours (12-4pm ,) then sleep again (4-8 pm)
Posts: 856 | From MA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richie

I would try something other than sominex. I am pretty sure that is the same thing as benedryl (diphendydramine) and it can be stimulating instead of sleep inducing. I would stay away from anti-histamines..and try melatonin or a serious sleep drug or maybe some xanax. Ask your LLMD for help sleeping!! Try ear plugs and an eye mask and a hot bath before bed with some milk..and some melatonin...if that fails get some self hypnosis tapes that guide you to sleep, works awesome. [Smile]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Sorry I didn't make it clear Rich - the humidifier is for the cpap/apap machine because it tends to dry one out.

Rich - Do you use a cpap or did your sleep study show no sleep apnea?

Terry

David Miller
Member # 21583

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Miller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can get melatonin over the counter, but it's not as powerful as prescription sleep aids.

It's a big help for me.

Posts: 98 | From Maine | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take Trazodone (a prescription med) plus several supplements and I still don't sleep very well.

A couple of weeks ago I started taking many of the supplements described in Dr. Singleton's book, "The Lyme Disease Soultion".

I think they might be helping a little.

--------------------
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King,Jr

Posts: 1573 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Siciliano
Member # 15920

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Siciliano     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Terry--you have to calm the inflammation down in order for sleep.

You have to go through the experimenting with sleeping presciption meds. Since everyone is different you have to find which one works best for you.

Have your Dr. give you one and give it not more than 5 days if it does not help then have your Dr. give you a different one and do that no more than 5 days......you will eventually find the one or combination of two that works for you.

I had this exact same thing happen to me and I slept one or two hours and up again. It was terrible and I really feel for you. So it took me months to find what worked for me and now I have no trouble at all--I found taking lunesta 3mg with one 10mg of flexeril was the magic combination for me.

Good luck and please talk with your Dr. about this because sleep is VITAL for us suffering with lyme. You both need to try the different sleep meds and I know you will find the magic combination that will work for you.

--------------------
I'm sorry but I am no longer accepting any private messages due to my own battle with lyme.

Posts: 3897 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
waterfam2
Member # 14956

Icon 1 posted      Profile for waterfam2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Melatonin works somewhat for my daughter
Posts: 21 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used a series of essential oils to break the no sleep cycle. Got me off Ambien the very first night.

Another very powerful tool (that also helps with anxiety, pain, neuro issues) is Micro Current Therapy.

PM me if you want more info.

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2257 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmruss
Member # 11409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmruss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ambien CR works great!
Posts: 45 | From Medford, NJ | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeniseNM
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeniseNM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lunesta does the trick for me. It helps if I take Magnesium, too, and avoid heavy meals later in the evening.

--------------------
dx: MS in 1998
2007 - Lyme suspected
2009 - Positive Lyme, MS worse. Now: Copaxone shots for MS
gall bladder out 7/09
Ceftin, Zith, Septra
LDN
Acyclovir
Monolaurin, DHEA, Pregnonelon, Curcumin

Posts: 243 | From New Mexico | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JOLA
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23498

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JOLA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i've tried them all
never more than 2-3 hrs of sleep
dr. put me on trazadone 3 wks ago
most nights staying asleep now for 6 hours straight and i'm not so worried about the dependancy issue w/it.

Posts: 146 | From Vancouver, BC | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
street129
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for street129     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i take restoril 30mg, now i started taken magnisium and i wake up to soon, i will stop the mag., i can sleep till 2 in the afternoon on restoril

--------------------
IgM: Neg Neg 34IND 39IND
41+ 83-93IND

IgG: Neg Neg 41+

cfs, hhv6, mycobacterium, hsv1, cmv, pirovirus, and Epstein Barr virus.... digestive system

GOD GIVE IT, AND GOD CAN TAKE IT AWAY

Posts: 655 | From new york | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

Well, I ended up sleeping 12 hours that day and night to make up for it....and then 8 hours the following.

It helps to go to bed earlier.

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

BugBit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BugBit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sympathies... i too have suffered sleep issues - max, two-four hours a sleep cycle - for decades. It is awful no doubt, waking in a sweat burning up...

I have learned over the years, to just let my body do what it needs to do... if it needs to sleep, sleep no matter what time of day or night.

Forgive and accept that you are not "normal" and then much of the suffering is alleviated. Resistance is futile... For me anyway, just understanding that things are different for us Lymies is half the battle.

I used to beat myself up, struggle, fight and in general TRY to be like everyone else. Can't.
My family would pressure me to 'Not be a victim, or grow up or just get over myself, work thru the pain, go to bed early', whatever. It doesn't work that way. Go with your body's rhythmns because the more you resist the worse it gets.
Blessings,
*BugBit*

Posts: 116 | From Bisbee, AZ USA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Bugbit,

I think everything you said is perfect advice. I will try to follow it myself.

Thank you for sharing your wisdom.

--------------------
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King,Jr

Posts: 1573 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

I don't know how but after sleeping 12 hours on Saturday night, I have been sleeping a bit better, 7 hours last night. I have been taking two capsules of Dr. Weil's Sleep Support Formula and it helps!

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Nemo
Member # 22783

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nemo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the tip on the Magnesium.

I have been having sleep issues lately also.

Awake 3-4 times per night.

I take a diuretic which is mainly the cause of the problem along with the arm and leg restlessness that has surfaced lately.

The restlessness has abated since my Doxy got upped.

I think I'm going to switch the time of my diuretic so it is out of my system by bedtime.

My husband tries to make me laugh about it.

He tells everyone that since we have wood heat in our home and he's a sound sleeper, me not being a good sleeper means I'm stoking the fire during the night instead of him.

He finally took pity of the bags under my eyes and started stoking during the night.

I use tylenol pm and sometimes take an extra benedryl about two hours before I go to bed.

For the arm and leg discomfort I take half an Ultram.

Ultram + tylenol=Ultracet.

Last night I slept better than I have in a long time after my first doses of 200mg of Doxy bid.

In fact, I was exhausted at 10pm and went to bed.

I napped till 10:45 then woke up at 5:30 when the dogs needed to go out whether it was snowing or not.

I'm not a Doctor either, just a tired nurse of 33 years with bad feet and 56 years of life experience.

--------------------
Why don't they make Front Line for humans? Think about it!

Posts: 78 | From North Eastern Missouri | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laceyj
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laceyj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what if you cant find a med combination or herbal to work?!!

i just tried Ambien again and it gives a hangover, nauseated sickness

restoril and ativan used to work but seemed like it wont work anymore

Posts: 187 | From FL | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement