LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Rifampin and Bactrim

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rifampin and Bactrim
nefferdun
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you use this combination for bart and if so what amounts. Has it been effective? I am going to see the doctor this week and want to change my meds a little bit.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blinkie
Member # 14470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blinkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had excellent results with this combo, got me to 100%. I had to stop it after 2 months and within 3 weeks was sick again and got C diff.

Make sure you are taking high doses of sacchremyces boullardi with it. If I could do it again, I would try to stay on it 9-12 months.

Posts: 1104 | From N.California | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How much bactrim did you use and what is sacchremyces boullardi?

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22201

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i take tavanic and bactrim ds for barts... now since 2-3 month? i improved, i will take it for about 10-12 months.. good stuff
Posts: 371 | From velocity of light | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snailhead
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snailhead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is Bactrim the same as Biaxin?
Posts: 374 | From United States | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no, Bactrim is the same thing as Septra- it's an old sulfa antibiotic, which seems to be useful for both bart and babesia, at least when combined with the right 'other' stuff such as Rifampin. Biaxin is a macrolide antibiotic, much newer than Septra/Bactrim, and it's used as an adjunct to babesia therapy, and as a Lyme drug all by itself or with other drugs such as Plaquenil. Sometimes doctors treat bartonella with a combo of rifampin and biaxin, also, though it's probably not super effective on bartonella all by itself without the rifampin.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nicole_Denise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicole_Denise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take this- I think I mentioned this on a previous post, don't know who to? There have been a lot of postings on this lately.

It has worked really well for me. Bactrim on it's own was ok, but Bactrim with Rifampin seems to really be working.

Posts: 503 | From Alberta, Canada | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
radfaraf
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11909

Icon 1 posted      Profile for radfaraf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.healthline.com/natstandardcontent/saccharomyces-boulardii
Posts: 526 | From NJ | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

I thought I read something about it but could not find the posts. Someone discussing bactrim versus biaxin said one was better for emotional problems while the other was better for cognitive problems. Unfortunately I have both but obviously the cognitive is pretty bad as I can't remember what was what.

--------------------

MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm. Biaxin can cause emotional instability- a herx or maybe just a side effect (a major one) of depression and even suicidal thoughts. I've had it happen and it totally resolved after stopping for a few days. I think pretty much any medicine used for Lyme can cause this- it's the Lyme, not the medicine, but there were a LOT of reports of this as a side effect of Biaxin online when I did a search a while back.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nefferdun...

That might have been me.

Bactrim DS helped me a lot with my cognitive symptoms, while the combo of Zithromax and Plaquenil helped my emotional symptoms, "flying off the handle" at little things (rage), etc. I was able to stop my mood stabalizer, thanks to Zithromax and Plaquenil.

And Bactrim DS makes me feel like a genius (helps cognitive tremendously). The Bactrim DS seems to help the most in combo with Zithromax so far, though the Zith is the less important if I'm trying to work on cognitive. The Bactrim DS seems to be the key component for cognitive for me.

These are just my experiences. Might not do the same for everyone.

I have said this all on Lymenet before, but I can't remember the names of the posts, or who started them, etc.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Thanks Hoosier. I would sure like to feel like a genius. I would like to feel like I don't have dementia and that would be a lift to feeling like a genius. As Rifampin is messing me up maybe I will try the zithro and bactrim DS. But maybe I will do the rifampin with it first as it is so hard to repeat rifampin when you have quit. When I was young I got hives from a sulfer drug and have not taken one since but I will try to desensitize to it.

How much did you take of zithro/bactrim and zithro/plaq? I actually have a prescription for plaq. My GP doctor does not have a clue so I have to bring him information. Most of it was printed out from the LLMD but not these combo's.

--------------------

Beachinit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21040

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beachinit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Late addition,

Started Zithro/flagyl almost 3 wks ago but had to drop flagyl (for now) due to neuropathy.
Added Bactrim DS instead and Bingo . . .
brain is working, shin pain nearly gone,
plantar pain gone, chest and ribs better,
neck muscles stronger, less ache and fatigue
less headache related to neck ache.

I am alternating 375 mg/500 mg zithro taken
daily (would stay with 500 daily but for ear ringing)side effect. The Bactrim DS is 1 tab
twice daily but is anyone taking higher or lower doses. Anyone having different effect.

Bart be gone,

Beachinit.

Posts: 448 | From Downeast Maine | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement