LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » LabCorp Bartonella Test

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: LabCorp Bartonella Test
RZR
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RZR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How accurate is LabCorp for bart?

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

Posts: 2329 | From SouthEast | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemon-Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm... not sure. Do you know if they do it in-house or send it out?

I had my tests done by Sunrise Labs, who sent to Mayo, and it came back positive for me (both strains). But keep in mind that I think all labs can only test for two species, so there are many Bart strains that they don't test for.

And I usually don't see antibiotic challenges mentioned for Bartonella, but antibiotics seemed to get my Bart angry.

My initial Bartonella tests were negative. After a couple months of antibiotics I started getting feet/leg pain, then we retested and the positive result showed up.

Posts: 584 | From NY | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RZR
Member # 20953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RZR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Test will be sent out, not sure where though. I have been off abx for 2-1/2 weeks, needed a break. I have never taken any abx for bart though. Does that matter? Should I take abx tomorrow AM before test?

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

Posts: 2329 | From SouthEast | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Labcorp does a good job with its Bartonella antibody tests. They test for more than one strain and often pick it up when PCR's and other labs don't.

My thought is... I doubt taking an antibiotic in the morning will have any effect on the test.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20352 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RZR
Member # 20953

quote:
Originally posted by Tincup:
Labcorp does a good job with its Bartonella antibody tests. They test for more than one strain and often pick it up when PCR's and other labs don't.

My thought is... I doubt taking an antibiotic in the morning will have any effect on the test.

[Big Grin]

Great news! Thank you!

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemon-Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A single dose would be very unlikely to matter. I just mentioned the antibiotic thing, in case you had been taking them for a while. There is a chance it could push a previously negative result to positive.

And I'm not sure if it matters if it was an antibiotic specifically geared towards Bart. I was on Doxy when my foot pain started up. Although a week of Bactrim sort of killing me may have had an effect too.

Posts: 584 | From NY | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tincup questions for you.

I've had bart testing done with Labcorp late 07. They did the b. henselae igm, b henselae igg, b. quintana igg and igm. All say negative without my specific titer listed. What's your experience say about this?

I'm positive I've got bart. I have your "Batonella Alert" sitting on my desk that I pulled out of my file yesterday from early '08.

I don't know how to proceed with testing? Regardless I've decided that 2010 is going to be all about bart.

I just started rifampin yesterday. Could this stir up some antibodies like lyme does?

Help!!!!!!! Thanks!!!!!!!! Oh, yeah you are almost as smart as Tutu. lol

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6438 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by map1131:
Tincup questions for you.

I've had bart testing done with Labcorp late 07. They did the b. henselae igm, b henselae igg, b. quintana igg and igm. All say negative without my specific titer listed. What's your experience say about this?

I'm positive I've got bart. I have your "Batonella Alert" sitting on my desk that I pulled out of my file yesterday from early '08.

I don't know how to proceed with testing? Regardless I've decided that 2010 is going to be all about bart.

I just started rifampin yesterday. Could this stir up some antibodies like lyme does?

Pam

I wouldn't worry about testing. Proof will come if/when treatment works.
Posts: 967 | From A deserted island without internet access | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Miller
Member # 21583

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Miller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
map, both fry and clongen have bart tests that run PCR on something that's genus specific. It won't tell you what species you have, but will tell you that you have DNA from one or more of the 20 or so species.

Last I heard there were 19 known bart species, 9 of which are known to infect humans, and at least that many carried by ticks.

Testing for the two most common strains helps if you have one and get a positive, but leaves you where you were if it's one of the other 17.

Posts: 98 | From Maine | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by map1131:

All she has to do is stay at a Holiday Inn Express! [Big Grin]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 95326 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMd said only Igenex for TBD's. He proved it by testing my co's at Labcorp and Igenex.

Igenex was positive, Labcorp was negative.

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement