LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anyone else have Hashimotos Thyroid Disease!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone else have Hashimotos Thyroid Disease!!!
tiffagoo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23750

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tiffagoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well as some of you know I have been recently diagnosed with Lyme in October 2009. I am 30 years old and I have had Hashimotos since the age of 14.

My LLMD couldn't tell me if I contracted Lyme around the age of 14 or not. He explained that when some people contract Lyme they unexpectedly get thyroid problems. And this may be an indicator of Lyme. However, my doctors never tested me for Lyme when I was 14. By the way, the only symptom I really had at age 14 was EXTREME fatigue. I couldn't even get out of bed to eat. I was just SOOOOOO tired. And my parents took me to the doctor and they discovered I had thyroid issues.

It wasn't explained to me until the age of 25 that I had something called Hashimotos Thyroid Disease.

My aunt is the only other person in my family to have Hashimotos. Therefore, the LLMD can't pinpoint whether I contracted Lyme around the age of 14 or not. But I have been told MULTIPLE times that 14 is an early age to have thyroid problems. In fact, my endrocronologist said she has never seen a patient get diagnosed so young.

Since I have diagnosed with Lyme I have been wondering about the Hashimotos Diagnosis. Does anyone else have a similar story? I have a 2 year old daughter who I have been very worried about. She is cognitively fine, and very intellegent for her age. However, she is VERY petite. She is in the 10% for height and she doesn't even get near touching the bottom percentile for weight.

She repeatedly complains about things hurting. However, she is a 2 year old and I don't know if she truly knows what the word hurt means. She might think that if something itches it hurts. I have had her tested through IgeneX and it was negative.

I just don't want my little one to go through the same thing I have endured. I don't wish this on anyone, but my little girl is my constant worry. Being newly diagnosed I feel like I don't totally understand the whole realm of Lyme, and therefore I am very worried about my future as well as my daughters. My LLMD has assured me that even if she does have Lyme, he will put her on the right track and everything will be fine.

To make matters worse I am very concerned about my husband. They can't prove that Lyme is sexually transmitted, but I have read many stories that explain that it can be sexually transmitted.

If anyone else has similar stories please share them with me.

Besides the interent does anyone go to conferences or support groups?

Posts: 151 | From california | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
julielynne4
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sister and I both have lyme and coinfections, and we figured we contracted it when we were 10 and 12, since that is when our issues started. Of course, all these years we didn't know what was really going on, until I got reinfected last year which led to us figureing it all out.

My sister has Hashimotos as well - diagnosed with it in her early 20s. I am certain it is because of the lyme.

Personally, I think you could have had lyme when you were 14 which would have caused the thyroid issues. Obviously, this is just my guess. I would have your daughter checked and your husband as well - my kids all have lyme which they contracted from me. I know it can be sexually tranzmitted as well.

You might really want to look into a local support group - although I don't go to mine often, it is such a blessing. It is very encouraging to meet with people in person who can share stories and bounce ideas off of.

Julie

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Florence1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Florence1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i was also diagnosed with lyme in oct....got a hashimotos diagnosis from endo in december......will repeat labs in feb....my pcp had thought all my symptoms were hypothyroid...but tsh ok...there just waiting for my thyroid to give up basically.....weird that it all came at the same time (ps ialso worry about my children, and my husband wants to be tested....)

--------------------
Oct 09 Positive CDC Western Blot
Jan 10 Positive Babesia Duncani
Jan 10 Cd57 28
Mar 10 EBV, IgM, IgG
HHV-6 IgG

Posts: 739 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiden424
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7633

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aiden424     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was diagnosed with hashimotos about ten years after being sick. I may have had it much longer, but I don't think I was tested.

My dad,and daughter now have thyroid issues too. But I don't think they have been tested for hashimotos either. They don't seem to test for it very often here?!

--------------------
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

Posts: 804 | From South Dakota | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have hashimoto's as well.

Lymers

Posts: 287 | From Humboldt County, CA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, too, have Hashimoto's. And like you - we suspect that I contracted Lyme as a kid.

I was diagnosed very young with mitral valve prolapse - 12 years old, young for that condition.

At 11, we have doc's records showing that I went in for a large round rash on my leg. (gee, wonder what that could have been?)

After that - many periods of remitting/relapsing illness. Would miss months of school at a time, then improve for months, then relapse again.

I understand your fears about your little one... just keep watching and listening, and if you suspect that she needs to be re-tested through Igenex - do it.

Personally, I would keep a log of any suspicious symptoms or comments she makes. And take note of all developmental issues.

Hopefully she will be just fine!

I hope you are soon feeling better and better.

--------------------
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again? - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How did all of you get diagnosed with Hashmitos?

I suspect this is playing a role in my problems... but I've done the bloodwork necessary to seemingly rule it out.

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swedish lyme sufferer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14579

Icon 1 posted      Profile for swedish lyme sufferer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have it,
got it in-97 and I think that is when I got lyme as well.
HAshimotos is diagnosed with a blood test.

Posts: 347 | From sweden | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane2904
Member # 15917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane2904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder too about this. Our daughter has high Thyroids antibodies and low side of normal FT4.

Her Tsh is always in normal range but just recently went from just under 3 to 1.80 and her antibodies are lower since treating Lyme and Co.

Saw Endo last spring and they were not concerned of the antibodies, but finally admitted she was borderline Hypo. But no treatment.

Even the LLMD is not concerned of the antibodies. I still wonder though.

Take care, Jane

Posts: 1357 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jane - what is her FT3? Was that measured too?

Tiffagoo (what a name!), hypo runs in families, and probably hashimoto too. Probably connected. So everyone with hypo does not have lyme. It is just a situation that can have more than one cause.

One thing to consider is that women who are inadequately treated for hypo and who have iodine deficit can produce children with health problems as a result of that condition during pregnancy.

There may also be an environmental link to some cases because some toxins adversely affect thyroid function.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane2904
Member # 15917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane2904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lou- looks like her FT3 has not been tested.
Posts: 1357 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jane,

How can she have high thyroid antibodies and the docs all say... "no worries... move on."

Is checking the TPO and TgAb pretty damn accurate?

I've had these checked before and they came back fine...

but in the back of my mind I wonder if I have Hashmitos.

Grrrrrr

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are not a lot of docs who do well with thyroid diagnosis and treatment, and it might be asking too much for a lyme doc to do this too. Most endos can't do it as they rely only on tsh or will prescribe only synthetics. Synthetics do not work for everyone.

Here is a website that talks about thyroid testing. I cannot vouch for everything on the site, but it might be a place to start educating yourself.

http://thyroid.about.com/od/gettestedanddiagnosed/a/bloodtests.htm

Also, articles on the net by Ray Peat are good. Do a search of archives on lymenet. Thyroid comes up a lot and Ray Peat has also been discussed.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tiffagoo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23750

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tiffagoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am currently taking 112mg Levoxyl for my Hashimotos Thyroid Disease. And my NEW primary care doctor would like to switch me Armour.

I'm really hesitant to do so. #1- I have Lyme and I'm being treated for that right now. I have been on antibiotics for almost 4 months now, and I expect to be on them longer.
#2 I have heard bad things about Armour. Such as it isn't a reliable dose amount. Because it is derived from pigs the levels in each tablet are not consistent. At least this is what I have read.

Is there anyone here taking Armour? How is it working for you?

I'm worried because I've been taking Levoxyl and synthroid for 16 years. I just don't want to make matters worse, if you know what I mean.

Thank for all the advice!!
tiffagoo

Posts: 151 | From california | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Armour worked fine until they reformulated it. Then there were shortages. So, you can't count on it working or being able to get it either.

Synthetics do work for some people. Does it provide symptom control for you? That is what you should consider. Levoxyl + cytomel worked for me sometimes and sometimes not. The dosing was inconsistent.

You are the only one that knows if your current meds work. If it aint broke, don't fix it. If it is broke, look for a change.

Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tiff, it could be either or. Almost everyone in my family has hypothyroidism. It is a common problem.

Lyme definitely throws a wrench in the works too and disrupts normal hormonal outputs.

So the best bet is to stabilize your thyroid with treatment and also address the lyme and/or co's.

Plug as many holes as you can.

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Siciliano
Member # 15920

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Siciliano     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Count me in......I had lyme for over a year when one day I looked in the mirror and saw this huge "goiter" around my neck and called my PCP right away.

Went in to see my PCP and he knew immediately it was Hashimoto's disease.

I truly believe that you had lyme disease when you were 14 years old, I have no doubts about it.

And, on the topic of lyme being sexually transmitted--I believe it 100%.

The Lyme Dr. with the most years in treating lyme--I think it is over 50 years--says he absolutely believes it is transmitted. Someone with the most experience in treating lyme disease--is someone that knows what they are talking about and if he believes it--so do I!

--------------------
I'm sorry but I am no longer accepting any private messages due to my own battle with lyme.

Posts: 3897 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiden424
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7633

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aiden424     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a goiter for years before they would even test me for Hashimoto's. They didn't treat me until my thyroid was pretty much gone.

If they would have started treatment a lot sooner I don't think I would have lost function of my thyroid. I've dealt with some really stupid doctors! There isn't anyway to get Armour here either, they will only give synthroid or something like it.

Kathy

--------------------
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

Posts: 804 | From South Dakota | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farraday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farraday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, too, have it. My entire thyroid was removed years ago. My LLMD switched me to porcine thyroid as well as Cytomel and I seem to be doing better.

But I agree that thyroid testing is tricky. I would certainly get a second opinion....preferably from a well known endocrinology expert.

I think I had it in my teens or earlier. I had constant pain in my legs that was called "growing pains". Mono at 17 turned into hepatitis. I missed most of my senior year and barely was able to withstand college.

My mother and her mother had it, too.

--------------------
DOCTOR: "I don't think you are sick."
PATIENT: "We are all entitled to our opinions. I don't think you are a doctor."

Posts: 697 | From Northern California | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement