LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Who has found Rifampin not helpful

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who has found Rifampin not helpful
tosho
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tosho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and for how long did you try it?
Please answer,
Thank you [Smile]

--------------------
[Bb WB igm+] [B.henselae PCR+] [Chlamydia pneum.igm+igg+] [EBV igm-igg+]

Posts: 844 | From Poland | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took my last dose the day before yesterday and I am not sure if it actually helped or not. Many of the side effects of Rifampin are similar to bartonella symptoms such as inability to concentrate, pain in bones etc, so it seemed like I was getting no where. When/if my mind begins to clear I will know better. I was on it for almost three months at 600mg a day with 500mg zithro.
I had headaches, hot flashes, shin pain and eye dryness as well as depression, anxiety and lack of motivation when I started. Now the shin pain is greatly diminished, the headaches are pretty much gone, I have fewer hot flashes but my eyes are worse (which can be another side effect of Rifampin - uveitis and conjuctivitis). I am not as depressed but I still feel like I have not gotten out of the hole. My memory is very bad and I have a lot of trouble concentrating.

Five weeks of Levaquin was much more effective but I got tendonitis from it. I have switched meds now to Bactrim and Zithro to see what happens and am considering pulsing Factive five days out of the month.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure if it helping hubby or not. We were surprised at his LLMD appointment Monday that the doc wanted to increase the Rifampin -- instead of 600 mg one time per day he wants hubby to take 300 mg 3 times per day. He also added in very low dose Zithromax to the very low dose Clindamycin and the Minocycline he was already on.

Has been on the rifampin for 3 months now at 600 mg.

The tincture of Stephania that we added seems to be helping more than the meds in my opinion.

Something is still killing off too many red blood cells so we are still looking for the majic combo. Hubby had to stop levaquin and factive as all his tendons were hurting too much. The pain hasn't gone away since stopping the meds unfortunately.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't seem to help me, at all. And I tested positive through Quest for IgG Bartonella Henselae.

I only took it about 8 weeks, because it was making me SOOO tired, but not many other herx symptoms, and by 8 weeks, most people will see improvement for Bart. I had no signs it was doing anything useful.

So it just didn't seem to hit any of my infections.

Bactrim DS with Zithromax went much better. Big huge herxes followed by improvement. So far that's Bart treatment #1 for me.

Cipro didn't help anything, but did give me increased irritability (perhaps a herx). Trying Levaquin soon, to try to put Bart away for good, though since being on Bactrim it is MUCH improved.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
venus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16991

Icon 1 posted      Profile for venus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on rifampin for 15 months. I am still struggling, but I have made slow progress in that time. I am such a mess that I have no idea which drugs helps or hurts. I am going to ask my doctor about another drug for bart when I see him in two weeks.

[ 01-21-2010, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: venus ]

--------------------
Severe neurological problems. Probably sick for years. Became chronically sick in Aug 2007. Undiagnosed for another 15 months. Started treatment for lyme and bart Sept. 2008. Improving, but very slowly.

Posts: 515 | From washington dc | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
landerss
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17732

Icon 1 posted      Profile for landerss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tosho, I don't think it helped me. I was only on it for 12 weeks, but I feel much better off it than I did on it - and not much different than I did before starting it!

But I've been on Bactrim for a year.

--------------------
Increasingly ill over past 10 yrs; treating since October '08.

Posts: 180 | From Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
5 days was all I could take...nearly died from a headache that lasted 3 wks.

Not literally died! But felt like it. It caused swelling of the brain.

[ 01-22-2010, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: Lymetoo ]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 94834 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Levaquin worked better for me but is rough on the tendons.

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with Lymetoo.

I thought Rifampin tried to kill me. Maybe it was the combo with Doxy and Plaquenil. I only lasted 5 days or so.

Anyways, not fun!

Posts: 967 | From A deserted island without internet access | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I felt like Rifampin almost killed me after 2 weeks. I don't know if it was the drug or it was hitting lots of stuff.

My doctor thinks it's a very good medicine. He would not say that about Levaquin. In fact he doesn't say that about many medicines.

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karen Mc
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23354

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karen Mc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure if helping either??? I just started Rifampin 300ms twice a day last Saturday. Didn't see major difference yet but increased (sometime monster) headaches...now I'm reading others did as well.

Fatique and muscle aches and "weird head feelings" are much worse as well

Im with venus (my heart goes out to you) I am on such a combo of meds I can't really tell whats helping and whats not--enough to drive you crazy):

I am taking

artem 2 twice a day

half plaquenil 200mg twice a day

zitro half of 600mg twice day alternating

minocin 100 mg twice day m-w-f

and now rifampin---i dropped bactrim ds

I think i liked the bactrim/zitro combo better but will continue to give this combo a try until i see my LLMD next month...

I just hope I can endure the headaches. I will let you know how it goes.

Good luck and God Bless,
Karen (:

Posts: 422 | From Virginia | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myco
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It got me over the hump and over bart in 5 months. Combined it with Zithromax.
Posts: 770 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tosho
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tosho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone!
I was asking because I don't know if there is any sense for me to continue Rifampin. This time I take it since October with Doxy and Roxythromicyn + pulsing tinidazole and I am still exhausted as on day one (I don't tolerate any stress, 2hrs shopping makes me exhausted as hell).

Rifampin only got rid of twitching of my eyelid.
I herx from doxy for sure (Rifampin interacts with doxy making it less potent, so not a good thing).
Seriously I feel at loss, I gave many months trials for each combination of drugs and nothing helps.
I don't know, maybe I should stop Rifampin in exchange of Mepron (again).

--------------------
[Bb WB igm+] [B.henselae PCR+] [Chlamydia pneum.igm+igg+] [EBV igm-igg+]

Posts: 844 | From Poland | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement