LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » NEED to gain weight -- Suggestions?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: NEED to gain weight -- Suggestions?
txgirl09
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21612

Icon 1 posted      Profile for txgirl09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am very skinny and will be down to 100 lbs soon. I've been worried about yeast and I've been sticking closely to the anti-candida diet.

Yet, I am shedding the lbs. I eat as much as I can, and quite often but that does not seem to help.

Do any of you have suggestions to help me gain weight without contributing to yeast? I know those "Boost" and "Ensure" drinks contain a lot of sugar.

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 490 | From TX- Go Cowboys! | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
"Ensure" is garbage. Totally garbage. I've not read ingredients for "Boost" but you need real food. First, are you getting enough calories? Specifically, enough protein but also enough complex carbohydrates and the good oils, too?

You don't want to gain fat. You want to gain muscle. Clean protein. Good carbs (veggies/berries) from the earth (all the colors you can find). Good oils.

Are you getting enough good non-gluten whole grains? Quinoa, Millet, buckwheat, wild rice, brown, red and black rices, etc. -- in moderation but still, these supply good nutrients you need to build muscles.

Maybe light weight lifting.

But, first, talk to your LLMD about this. Get his/her advice. They may first want to run other tests.

Have you been assessed for Diabetes? Thyroid? How are your red and white blood cells looking these days?

If you are not currently gluten-free, you should find out more about getting tested for celiac before going gluten-free:

www.celiac.com

------------

Ultimately, even if not celiac, there is a tremendous advantage and I think - need - for all lyme patients to be gluten-free.

However, is that is not the current state of your body, it's best to get tested first so you know the extent of it for later when your finishing up lyme treatment and many want to eat some gluten again. If celiac, you would have to look at that differently.

==================

http://icmr.nic.in/ijmr/2006/august/0804.pdf

- 20 pages

THE REQUIREMENTS OF PROTEIN & AMINO ACID DURING ACUTE & CHRONIC INFECTION . . .

Anura V. Kurpad - Institute of Population Health & Clinical Research, Bangalore, India 129. Indian J Med Res 124, August 2006, pp 129-148.

Excerpt:

" . . . In general, the amount of EXTRA protein that would appear to be needed is of the order of 20-25 per cent of the recommended intake, for most infections. . . ."

- Full article at link (or google the title if it does not go through).

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sickpuppy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickpuppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Avocados.
Quinoa is a grain that contains protein.
Do you eat meat?

Posts: 702 | From North Eastern USA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
txgirl09
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21612

Icon 1 posted      Profile for txgirl09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do eat lots of protein. (Eggs, Chicken, turkey).

I need to buy some Quiona. Do you guys just eat it plain, or have any good recipes for it? I'm going to have to search on this.

Posts: 490 | From TX- Go Cowboys! | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Topaz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Topaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My kids love it with peas and a little butter in it.

You could put in carrots, celery, chicken stock instead of water, spices...just about anything.

It's become a new favorite here.

Posts: 423 | From Upstate NY | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Regular quinoa also tastes far different than red quinoa so that expands the breath of your cuisine.

Regular quinoa requires rinsing before cooking - in VERY, VERY fine mesh strainer. (The first time I did this, it all fell into the sink.)

RED quinoa requires no rinsing and can be added directly into the water or soup, etc.

Many good sites to learn more - just do a search.

Pronounced "keen-wa"
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ninjaphire
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ninjaphire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your body needs a source of energy.
This is either fat or carbs.

You need to eat more fat and perhaps some carbs.

Consider eating some red meat (high fat).

You might also start eating olive oil/ghee/butter, etc.

Whole milk Yogurt/Heavy Cream if you're not allergic to dairy.

Plus some cod-liver oil should help too. Get the stuff with a 10:1 A:D ratio.

Posts: 330 | From Colorado, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
grandmother
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19908

Icon 1 posted      Profile for grandmother     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Prime rib w/horseradish/sour cream sauce,

broccoli dripping with sharp cheddar,

twice baked potato w/the works,

choice of

Death By Chocolate Cake or Cheesecake for dessert, sweetened w/Stevia, for yeast patients.

A variation of this, at every meal, is guaranteed to put on the pounds.

Oh, throw in a salad with blue cheese dressing and real bacon bits, if you like.

And throw whipped cream on all of it [Big Grin]

Posts: 921 | From CT | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Even skinny people can develop fat INSIDE your veins and your organs - with even one bad meal. You really don't want that as it will sharply increase your risk for heart attack.

While you might be able to enjoy some cheese in a moderate amount, dairy is very bad for most lyme patients as it increase phlegm production and that harbors germs). . . and even if stevia is used, excess fats or excess carbs should be avoided.

Even more protein needs to be portioned out so as not to overload the task your body has to digest and metabolize.

Binging on bad foods - or just eating a lot in one sitting - not only starts you on bad health habits but it shocks your body and will create more fatigue. It will create a cascade of health problems long before you would round out on the outside.

Normal portions should still be the rule. Just be sure you get enough calories and maybe eat 5-6 small meals a day rather than 3 large ones. Actually, even one large meal can be very hard on any person.

As a person who has battled weight all my life (and for no apparent reason as I really don't eat bad stuff, never have), I strongly urge you to have only the very best health habits and that means food sources only from the best.

Oils should be from fish, nuts, coconut, some veggies (not corn) or olive oil - for anyone. Maybe a touch of ghee but not in excess.

Proteins and complex carbs are what will help your body grow in strength and THAT is where the weight should be coming from, not from bad fats from actual fat or too many simple carbs. Even if stevia is used, any cake provides simple carbs from refined flours.

Dark chocolate, itself, 85% or higher is a good way to go. Green & Black's Organic Dark is best.

Please, please, please do not just toss all caution to the wind. Too much fat in your body can be very bad for your heart, and for your liver, etc. even if you are tiny. Too many simple carbs will create fat in your liver in no time. Very bad when that happens.

Check out ethnic recipes (Mediterranean, etc.) for flavor. Seek flavor and nutrition.

Books: A Spoonful of Ginger; The Cure is in the Kitchen.

Good luck.
-

sickpuppy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickpuppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
grandmother, your suggestions would put ME in the hospital!!!! Ha!

txgirl, like Keebler said nuts are good! Maybe there's a way to sort of toss them into whatever you're eating to always add some calories? And what about a yam with butter?
For quinoa, after boiling, I like it with cashews, scallions, and olive oil. Yummmmmmm.

Also I hope you have any allergies under control.

I'm getting hungry just writing this message.

Posts: 702 | From North Eastern USA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could have weight loss from...

Zinc Deficiency

Anemia (low iron)

Malabsorption (in which case... simply eating more won't do the trick. It would just damage your wallet/purse) and put stress on your gut/immune system.

Parasites

Unfortunately for us who have lost a lot of weight... we have to attack each and every possibility. And there's plenty to keep you busy.

But the #1 thing to do in the meantime is treat Lyme and Co : )

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LightAtTheEnd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24065

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LightAtTheEnd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I struggle with the opposite problem, which I have had all my life.

According to Gary Taubes' book, "Good Calories, Bad Calories," the entire key to weight loss is eating less carbs. I have been trying that since before I got Lyme, and it works for me to lose weight.

If I start eating more carbs, I gain weight.

Taubes said it's fine to eat lots of fat as well as protein. The fat is not what increases your risk of heart disease, according to his in-depth review of scientific studies over several decades.

My doctor did blood tests a couple weeks after I switched to a low carb diet, and my blood sugar had gone down to normal, and so had my cholesterol and triglycerides, once I started eating things like half a pound of bacon and a glass of whole milk for breakfast, instead of a tiny bowl of "healthy" cereal with skim milk, haha.

I also lost 35 pounds in a few months, which I needed to lose, and have kept it off for 8 more months, with some fluctuations.

I hope to get my diet back down to even less carbs so I can lose more weight, and prevent potential yeast/Lyme problems. But it's a struggle for me not to cheat, so any excuse to eat MORE carbs to improve my health would be welcome to me. [Smile]

I struggle with my diet, trying to cut out sugar, flour, grains and starch. If I cheat, I think it is healthier to eat carbs like potatoes, beans and whole grains than refined carbs like bread, cake, sugar, etc.

I do eat dairy products, but I stick to regular cheese, real butter and whole milk--no more skim milk for me.

These are all things I needed to do to regulate my blood sugar, but they had the (in my case welcome) side effect of making me lose weight. Your diet might also be keeping your weight low.

The carbs provoke insulin, which tells your body to store calories in your fat cells. If you eat fat and carbs together, you can gain weight from the fat, but if you eat fat without carbs, you are less likely to store it. Eating protein will help you build muscle, more so if you also exercise, which is the best kind of weight to gain.

Now that I am cheating some and eating a slightly higher amount of carbs than I was before, my weight has stabilized and stopped going down. I still need to lose some more.

So I am pretty sure you can gain more weight by eating more carbs, and still fight the candida or limit the impact on it by only eating whole non-wheat grains and starchy vegetables, and always eating those together with protein and fat, so they are absorbed slowly in your body, and you don't have a large amount of glucose in your blood at one time.

I have not actually had yeast to contend with, at least not yet, so I'll caution you that I am not sure what amount of carbs can be tolerated in someone with yeast, but I believe (could be wrong) that it makes a difference whether the carb is absorbed quickly or slowly after you eat it--in other words, that eating a plate of broccoli would be less aggravating to the yeast than eating a spoonful of sugar with the same amount of carbs in each.

But I'm not sure and don't have a source to cite for that, and I'm not an expert on this stuff, especially not on candida, so pay attention to how it affects you personally if you decide to try it.

--------------------
Don't forget to laugh! And when you're going through hell, keep going!

Bitten 5/25/2009 in Perry County, Indiana. Diagnosed by LLMD 12/2/2009.

Posts: 756 | From Inside the tunnel | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was trying to keep my weight up, I drank smoothies with water, whey protein, and frozen berries.

I also ate berries with whipped cream .... real whipped cream, the kind that comes in a milk carton, I just whipped it with a hand blender. Tons of calories!

Almond butter, avocados have good fat.

I didn't eat anything low cal, ever, I didn't want to take up room I could fill with something high cal .... kind of the opposite of "dieting".

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobokinite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hobokinite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I first got sick I droppe dto under 100 poundsw. Now, I'm the opposite at 180.

Her's what I did when I kept losing weight. It works. Also good fats like coconut milk and oil too.

The whole lemon drink saved me from wasting away. Recipe here:

http://www.keephopealive.org/lemondrk.html

Posts: 462 | From Newnan, GA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement