LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Skin Rashes?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Skin Rashes?
txgirl09
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21612

Icon 1 posted      Profile for txgirl09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on abx for 6 months now. I have recently stopped abx for 5 days due to skin rashes. I've never had skin rashes before.

They look like tiny red pimples all over my stomach and a few clusters of them on my arms. They itch like CRAZY!

I've been off all my abx for 5 days now (I was on rifampin and doxy for several weeks) hoping to get rid of this rash. My dr said it looked like an abx break out.

Has anyone experienced this? I know it could be a number of things, but the itching is driving me nuts!

Posts: 490 | From TX- Go Cowboys! | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Miller
Member # 21583

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Miller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sounds like what I get when I go off abx. I had that rash before going on doxy in the first place, and it popped up when I went on tetracycline for a while.

That's what many people describe as a bart rash. I had a clongen bart species test that came back negative, so if it's BLO it's some kind of mycoplasma or the funny BLO thing Fry is talking about.

I got some relief from bathing with an Aveeno colloidal oatmeal thing you add to the water. Worked pretty well actually.

Posts: 98 | From Maine | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes sounds like the bart rash to me.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6438 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
txgirl09
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21612

Icon 1 posted      Profile for txgirl09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really? Why would this just now be appearing?

I thought the bart rashes were linear streaks?

Thanks for the info about Aveeno baths.

Posts: 490 | From TX- Go Cowboys! | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coconut oil may stop the itch too if you would like to give it a shot.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daphnesmom
Member # 22267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daphnesmom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could be yeast.
Posts: 79 | From Northeast US | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aimee
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20946

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aimee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is really hard to tell the difference between an allergic reaction to abx and some of the strange rashes that come with treatment.

My first round with itchy red spots came three weeks into the combo of Minocycline, Rifampin and Zithromax.

My previous LLMD wasn't sure if it was an allergic response or not but decided to pull me off of all my meds and have me do an abx challenge at the allergist's office.

After a week off of all abx the itchy rash went away - and I passed the challenge with no problem.

But she changed things up anyway and I went on some new meds that didn't work as well, then I switched LLMD's and got put on Tindamax and Factive.

This combo lasted 10 days before I broke out all over, head to toe in an unmistakable allergic rash.

Switched meds again to Bactrim, Biaxin and Mepron with no rashes but this just didn't seem to be helping any of my symptoms.

This past Thursday I saw my LLMD again and got switched back to my original combo of Rifampin and Zithro (minus the Mino). It's only been 3 days and I am itchy again.

I suspect these itchy bumps are related to Bartonella. There is a definite difference between the all over allergic reaction I had to the Tindamax/Factive and these strange itchy bumps.

Not sure if this has been at all helpful, but I really do think it is Bart related - have you tested positive for Bart - are you on any abx that would hit it even if you haven't tested positive?

Interestingly the times I have felt the best symptom wise was when I ended up with the rash - I think the abx that are active against Bart do this - just my theory. Going to talk to my LLMD about this at our next visit in Feb.

Hope you are getting some relief. I was advised to take Benadryl as needed. However, Zantac is used off label to help with itching and hives as well and it doesn't knock you out like Benadryl can. I was told to use this as well as Claratin and I did get some relief from the itching.

Good luck.

Aimee

Posts: 239 | From Virginia | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jpsmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23895

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jpsmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
candida did that to me b4 I knew it was lyme, maybe try a nystatin?
Posts: 443 | From The North Star | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never had the stretch mark streak looking bart rash and I believe I've been infected since 05.

IMO my rashes are more as described fine red bumps that itch. I have a destinct pattern that appears on my lower legs that cycles coming and going.

I have the tiny reds bumps that itch on neck, between shoulders, stomach that also come and go.

I also have more severe skin eruptions that happen on my hands, feet, face(rarely) and elbows that I contribute to bart.

Maybe ours is really the BLO. Bart Like Organism that they are researching???????

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6438 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the kind of rash you were describing. Mine was from bart, I think. It appeared on the palms of my hands and itched like mad.

Lymers

Posts: 287 | From Humboldt County, CA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement