LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Cheapest treatment for Babesia?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cheapest treatment for Babesia?
nefferdun
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good grief. I can't believe the cost of mepron and malarone!
This is all out of pocket. What else is there?

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BackinStOlaf
Member # 23725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BackinStOlaf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Embarrassed] - how much do they cost??

--------------------
First Symptom 9/09
Multiple docs, negative Labcorp test
LLMD: 1/10
Positive Igenex/CDC test
Treatment 2/10
2/10-8/10 Amox, ceftin, zith, flagyl
Currently: Bicillin, Minocycline, still dealing with severe breathing issues

-

Posts: 1121 | From New York, New York | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Florence1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Florence1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i know the mepron was $1200 for 8oz bottle here...$1150 in walmart a few weeks ago......expensive !!

--------------------
Oct 09 Positive CDC Western Blot
Jan 10 Positive Babesia Duncani
Jan 10 Cd57 28
Mar 10 EBV, IgM, IgG
HHV-6 IgG

Posts: 739 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Groovy has a cheap treatment to suggest, contact him or search for his babesia posts. But it can be hard to tolerate.
Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bactrim DS is $16/month or less. Some people are allergic to it.
Alinia is expensive, but can be bought overseas through this place and others: http://www.onlinepharmaciescanada.com/pricedetail.aspx?DrugName=%22Alinia%22#

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont want to use drugs. I'm using cryptolepsis tincture, Nutramedix Quina, Resveratrol, Noni & some other supplements. I just added a green tea extract with ECEG (or something like that) since someone posted a good article here a few days ago about green tea & babesia.

I'm definitely feeling different! I think it's working. It will probably take a few months to really know, though.

I could be wrong but I think you can do it with herbs. You can also buy artemesia from a bulk supplier & make your own caps. I would add some kind of quinine along with it. I haven't gotten to artemesia since the cryptolepsis seems to be working.

I'm kind of experienced with herbs & I don't mind experimenting.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steelbone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14014

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steelbone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MMS
salt Vit C

These are a few of the things i have heard of some folks on the various groups i am on having sucess with

--------------------
All The Best,
Paul
[email protected]

The harder you work the luckier you get!

Posts: 965 | From Nebraska Cornhuskers fan in Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agree with steelbone on the salt/c. That's how I treated mine along with antiparasitic herbs. Both are relatively very inexpensive and work.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Darn Massman, I want to try that. Where's the d##n health pros?
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steelbone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14014

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steelbone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
might be tough finding someone in Antarctica [bonk]

--------------------
All The Best,
Paul
[email protected]

The harder you work the luckier you get!

Posts: 965 | From Nebraska Cornhuskers fan in Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the patent for Mep was expiring soon...what gives?

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clindamycin/quinine

or artemisinin and zith

worked for me

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 95725 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the suggestions. I am saving the herbal treatments for when I can no longer tolerate the drugs and I have the load down. I have a lot of herbals and will use them until I can get an antibiotic. I have quina, samento, cumanda, resveratrol, andrographis etc. I'll check Buhner's book too.

I am on Bactrim DS (and biaxin) which I did not realize was a babesia treatment. That is good. I will research the other drugs; alina and clindamycin/quinine.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doc got rid of my babs with Bactrim DS and pulsed artimesinin. He said this treatment takes twice as long to get rid of babs compared to mepron/zith.

Since I couldn't take mepron/zith, I had to use the Bactrim DS. I was on it nearly a year.

It has been almost 5 years since I completed my lyme, babs and bart treatment and I am still symptom-free, enjoying my life--the same life I had before lyme disease.

So, the Bactrim works. But, take artimesinin with it. I took art 3 days in a row, then 4 days off every week. Take on an empty stomach.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Which kind of arimesinin do you use? I had some of Zhang's and used it up yesterday. It seems to help as I am not constantly gasping. Maybe I can find more at the health food store. I am glad to know there is something else that will work.

Bactrim DS is one of the best drugs I have used so far. I really felt my bart symptoms diminish in a relatively short time. Bactrim and biaxin are very cheap.

I swear I get better information from people online that have this disease than I do from the doctors! The LLMD I saw last week refuses to give me anything saying she likes to treat Lyme before babesia. I said I have been treating lyme for over two years and bartonella for one year and they are suppressed. Wouldn't it be a good idea to not let this babesia get out of control? She did not repond.

She did not give me the Bactrim DS/ Biaxin combo. In fact, she told me to stop taking it until she decided, in a couple of weeks, what she wanted to give me. Just when I am getting better - I can't stop. I don't want to relapse.
It is working and if I just quit, I am afraid it will not be as effective when I start back up again.

--------------------

TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My now famous lyme doc carried the best brand. I just got it from him. Can't remember the name. But, when he was out of it, he had me buy AllergyResearchGroup artimesinin.

So, that is the one I recommend. Doc had me take it 2 times per day.

If you notice "flares" or sick times when you start treating babesiosis, then take the artimesinin to encompass the sick time.

For example, once I started treating with the Bactrim DS, I got sick like clockwork every Friday evening around 7 p.m. This sick time would last until 7 p.m. on Sunday evening every week--48 hours of sick time. Then, it would disappear!

So, the doc had me start taking the artimesinin on Friday MORNING and continue taking it through Sunday evening.

The first weekend I did this, my sick time was reduced from 48 hours to only 6 hours!! It was like a miracle. Just from adding artimesinin! Each weekend, the sick time got less and less.

Lyme doc told me babesiosis has a 7-day cycle and 14-day cycle. I was experiencing the 7-day cycle.

Eventually, my sick time came only every other week--the 14-day cycle. Finally, I didn't have it any more.

Then, you continue treating for at least 2 more months. If it is winter, you continue treating with the Bactrim and art until spring. Do not stop treatment in winter because winter is a stress on the body. You could relapse if you stop treating in winter.

So, I treated about 5 months past my symptom-free point.

Notice that Burrascano says that artimesinin should be added in all cases when treating babesiosis.

Bactrim DS also treats bart is what my doc told me.

I treated lyme first, then bart. I treated babesiosis last. It worked for me.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Thank you TF. That explains a lot I did not know. I am feeling better which is wierd. I did not have any idea that it came in cycles. I will keep track of how I feel to determine what that cycle is. I will also order some artimesinin.

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used Allergy Research Group artemisinin.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 95725 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MorningSong
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19989

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MorningSong     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymetoo and TF~

Allergy Research Group has two different artemisinin. One is 100mg and the other is 180mg. Do you remember which one you used?

Lymetoo did you pulse yours like TF or take every day?

Posts: 515 | From In His Loving Care | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

I used the 100 mg one. I checked the old bottle that I kept.
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Did you take one pill twice a day?
I ordered it from vitacost but I don't remember how many mg.

--------------------

TF
Member # 14183

One pill twice per day on an empty stomach.
MorningSong
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19989

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MorningSong     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks TF [Smile]
Posts: 515 | From In His Loving Care | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annxyzz
Member # 20404

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annxyzz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HELP! How much clindamycin and quinine , and for how long ? I would like to know particulars .
Are they hard on Kidneys or bladder ?
Does it really work for some ?

--------------------
annxyzz

Posts: 1178 | From East Texas | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you don't have insurance you can try Bridges to Acces (is that it?)

Charlie would've said Bactrim.

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NeuroEcclectic
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17783

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeuroEcclectic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does TOA Free CATS CLAW work? Does it cause a

Herx?

Posts: 123 | From Seattle, WA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sickpuppy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickpuppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, what's the difference between Super Artemesisin and Artemesisin?
Posts: 702 | From North Eastern USA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SmurfyMom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmurfyMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A 60 day supply of Mepron from Walmart was $3363. I only paid $10. I don't have insurance and I fall within the income guidelines that GlaxoSmithKline has for their patient assistance program. My doctor signed me up over the phone and I could go pick up the meds the same day with a voucher.

Well, I would have if WalMart hadn't lost the script and then had to order it because they don't normally carry it...

Anyway, do a search for the Bridges to Access program and see if you qualify like I did.

Posts: 155 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Babsbabe
Member # 22981

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Babsbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Riamet is a 3 day course so a lot cheaper by comparison. You may need two courses.
Posts: 13 | From N.Ireland | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karen Mc
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23354

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karen Mc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD has me taking the Allergy Research Group Artemisinin as well. (not the super).

He has me taking 2 capules 2 times a day. The container says 200mg but then the serving size is 2 capsules so Im not sure if each capsule is 200mg or 100mg...oh well??

Im also on BacrtimDS everyday and zito --half tablet T-Th-Sat.

He wanted me to swith my plaquenil to mepron but I couldnt afford!!!!

Thanks Smurfymom about heads up on glaxoSmith.... program I will definently check into it.

I will also try to research the info on making your own..although I probably don't have the "sense" to figure it out [bonk]

Thanks,
Karen

Posts: 423 | From Virginia | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annxyzz
Member # 20404

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annxyzz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How effective is RIAMET ? Is it expensive?

--------------------
annxyzz

Posts: 1178 | From East Texas | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pj1954
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pj1954     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
clindamycin and quinine use for no more than a 10 day cycle clindy is very hard on the gut and can cause c diff !

not to mention this combo is a brutal herx !

both times I did it it was rough. thats why most llmds prescribe mepron and zith or malarone and zith.

I would rather pass another 2 kidney stones than go on this med combo again !

Posts: 294 | From sw chicago suburbs | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jason21
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16393

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason21     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tindamax can be used for babesia since it is an anti-protozoal. It is also reputed to be an excellent cyst-buster for LD, so you get a double benefit from it.

I am taking it with Cipro right now. This combo has helped me significantly.

--------------------
Igenex WB IgM 28+, 31IND, 34IND, 41+
WB IgG 30+, 31IND,39 IND, 41++++, 58+, 83-93IND
CD57 = 56
Prob infected since 2000
Doxy, Zith, Biaxin, Flagyl, Levaquin, Tindamax, Cipro
Highly Recommended: Trigger Point Therapy Workbook by Clair Davies

Posts: 137 | From South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what's the dosage for those, if you remember?
thanks!
quote:
Originally posted by pj1954:
clindamycin and quinine use for no more than a 10 day cycle clindy is very hard on the gut and can cause c diff !

not to mention this combo is a brutal herx !

both times I did it it was rough. thats why most llmds prescribe mepron and zith or malarone and zith.

I would rather pass another 2 kidney stones than go on this med combo again !

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting about Riamet -

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100004714.html

http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/cgi/news/release?id=67559

Yet, another anti-malarial that is NOT available in the US.

The other is http://www.cotecxin.com/en/products/antimalarial/

The Holley Pharmacueticals company does sell some artemesia products in the US - the website is - http://holleypharma.com/

I believe it's the same company as Cotecxin. I don't know why these products are not available in the US. I for one would like to try them. Babesia or babesia-like illness is not exactly malaria but these drugs may be useful.

This place sells Riamet but it's offshore & I don't have any idea if it's relaible.

http://www.rxbrandmeds.com/buy/online/Riamet.shtml

Please post if you have any further info about these drugs or offshore pharmacies.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Interesting about Riamet -

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100004714.html

http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/cgi/news/release?id=67559

Yet, another anti-malarial that is NOT available in the US.

The other is http://www.cotecxin.com/en/products/antimalarial/

The Holley Pharmacueticals company does sell some artemesia products in the US - the website is - http://holleypharma.com/

I believe it's the same company as Cotecxin. I don't know why these products are not available in the US. I for one would like to try them. Babesia or babesia-like illness is not exactly malaria but these drugs may be useful.

This place sells Riamet but it's offshore & I don't have any idea if it's relaible.

http://www.rxbrandmeds.com/buy/online/Riamet.shtml

Please post if you have any further info about these drugs or offshore pharmacies.

Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually tolerate Quinine/Clinda better than either Mepron/Zith or Malarone. Both of the latter make me really lethargic.

Q/C is probably pretty cheap (dunno though because my insurance currently covers).

Also, I believe Lariam is fairly cheap.

There are also plenty of herbals. Cryptolepsis, Enula, artemisinin, etc. They are surprisingly effective. I've never done crypto on it's own though.

I wouldn't ever do any one thing alone...always combine it with something else, even if you combine it with Biaxin or Zithromax, which at least Zith we know has mild anti-babs effect, so Biaxin probably does too.

Good luck!

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemon-Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are there any alternative antibiotics that can be combined with Malarone/Mepron?

One problem I have is a prescription cap, so even a one month test of Mepron/Zithromax will sort of kill me for the remainder of the year.

But I think I can get Malarone at costco at around a $400/month hit to my cap (if taking 2 daily), but then Zithromax adds another $400... so my cap will get eaten up pretty quickly, even on a non-mepron treatment.

Posts: 584 | From NY | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Coartem (lumefantrine-artemether) is another drug combo with an artemesia derivative. It's actually been approved by the FDA for use in the US.

Apr 9, 2009 - scientificamerican.com
Malaria drug Coartem approved in U.S.
By Jordan Lite
http://tinyurl.com/yh5fnca

Why aren't we taking this? It's about $70 for one course. So what if we have to repeat it a few times? I haven't seen any drugsstores that carry it but we may be able to get it if it's ordered by a drugstore with a prescription.

Why are they prescribing all of these expensive drugs when there are alternatives?

Also, butyrate is supposed to make artemesia more effective...

http://holleypharma.com/content/00/01/08/65/32/userimages/butyex_flyer.pdf

Anyone out there try any of these for babesia? Are they effective?

Sure beats the cost of Mepron which may or may not be effective...

sparkle7
Member # 10397

I don't know if this means anything to Lyme/co-infection patients but I thought I'd post it...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16170567

The treatment of mice with Lactobacillus casei induces protection against Babesia microti infection.

Bautista-Garfias CR, Gmez MB, Aguilar BR, Ixta O, Martnez F, Mosqueda J.

CENID-PAVET, INIFAP Apdo, Postal 206, CIVAC, 62500 Estado de Morelos, Mxico. [email protected]
In this study, we report that administration of Lactobacillus casei confers protection to mice against the intracellular protozoan Babesia microti.

Mice treated with L. casei orally or intraperitoneally were inoculated 7 days later with an infectious dose of B. microti. Mice treated with lactobacilli showed significant reduction in the percentage of parasitized erythrocytes (PPE) compared to untreated mice.

When mice were inoculated intraperitoneally with L. casei 3 or 0 days before challenge with B. microti, the PPE was significantly lower compared to untreated mice and there were no differences between treated mice and mice immune to B. microti infection.

When mice treated with live or dead L. casei were compared to mice inoculated with Freund Complete Adjuvant before a B. microti infection, a significant reduction of PPE was observed.

These results show the protective effect of L. casei administered to mice against a B. microti infection and suggest that it might act by stimulating the innate immune system.

PMID: 16170567 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sparkle, Riamet is available in the US now, it's called Coartem. Someone mentioned it above. As with all other tx, it can be very

effective for some, not at all for others. And it can give you a whopper of a herx (not for everyone though). Drug stores can order it for you with an rx.

Posts: 3748 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Thanks! I'm thinking of asking my doc about it. Seems like it would be worth it to give it a try. It's alot less that the usual drugs.

I could see that the herx would be an issue. Maybe one could start off on a 1/4 pill or something? I'm not sure what form it comes in.

Thanks for the heads up on that one. I going to give it some further thought.

Has anyone tried it? How was it for you & what were your symptoms, how long were you ill?

Karen Mc
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23354

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karen Mc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My llmd just prescriped it for me..as we are running out of options for treament and right now mepron is just to expensive for me to consider.

He has be taking 4 tablets twice a day for only 3 days. Apparently it is very strong stuff.

My local walmart sid they could not order it but Walgreens said they could. It's approx 97. bucks for the 24 tablets here.

Posts: 423 | From Virginia | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Thanks Karen! Let us know how it goes.

I'm still working with herbs for now. It may be a good option in the future for me.

Karen Mc
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23354

Just been informed by Drug Store that they can not get the Coartem. They called the company that manufactures it and it is on backorder. Dont know what to do now.

sparkle7
Member # 10397

Thanks for getting back to post, Karen.

How about artemesia? I've been taking it with butyrate. The butyrate is supposed to make it more effective. I'm not sure it works for babs but there was a study with artemesia & cancer.

I'm also taking noni & some other supplements/herbs. I've been feeling a sort of malaise. It seems like a sort of herx but I don't know.

I've been treating it for a couple of months this way with various herbs. I was taking cryptolepsis & Quina for a while but it seems like I'm leaning more towards artemesia these days.

I think it just takes time with herbs. Figures that the Coartem is on backorder... I don't know why they make this type of thing so hard to get.

I read somewhere that the military is growing fields of artemesia for it's own use. One would think there would be a large supply... I'm not sure if the artemesia they use in Coartem is synthetic or natural.

Some say the Raintree A-F is very good.

http://www.rain-tree.com/amazon-antifungal-support.htm

Amargo (Quassia amara) is supposed to be good, too.

http://www.rain-tree.com/form_antiparasite.htm

I haven't tried any of these yet.

GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Artemesinin is very effective if you use it in a suppository. Use coconut oil and empty the capsules. Use your ideas to form it. Or veggie caps and up you go!

Most of the Ozonated Rizole Oils (I posted about them recently) contain artemisinin. Put it in veggie capsules and use it as a suppository.

google "Dr. Henry Lai University of Washington Cancer artemisinin suppositories clostridium babesia"; you will find some interesting writings. I ran into it recently.

Or put the Ozonated Rizole Oils into grapefruit juice, working up 30-60-90 drops a day. Start slow. Do drink and suppository at the same time. Stool will deliver biofilm and whatever is hiding in it!

If you have a bad and old case of protozoa/babesia/parasites do Alinia longterm.

With parasites one has to become inventive.
If you are on any metal detox, that will bring more parasites to light because they house together. As will fungi. Prepare for best elimination, colonics, etc.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beachinit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21040

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beachinit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am treating Babs: bactrim ds 2tab/day, artemisinin 100 mg 3x/day fri-sunday, a minister friend of mine is taking his art tu-thursday so it depends on your schedule. The Babs is a smart
parasite and knows when you relax -- that means fewer phagocytes to harm them and time to come out and play. I also take zith and doxy to hit bart and Bb respectively. I am treating Bart, Babs and Bb all at once. Doxy and art are a big downer if taken together for me any way so doxy is m-thur only.

Cost of bactrim 16.50 per 100 tabs at Wmart.
Cost of Artemisinin 41.00 for 90, nutricology=Allergy Research Group 100 mg tabs at Vitaminshoppe. But saw them for 32.oo on Amazon - too late.

Beachinit

--------------------
Ideas not advice.

Posts: 448 | From Downeast Maine | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement