LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Flagyl

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Flagyl
tmcm
Member # 23249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tmcm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife is currently on her third abx..started with Doxcy, then Zithro and now Flagyl...

Needless to say we are scared like hell to take this one! She is starting on a low dose 1/2 pill 2 times and then will gradually work up to 1 pill TID.

I have been told to watch out for the first sign of Herx and stop immediatlely. I would appreciate to hear some experineces? We are very new to the disease having recenlty been diagnosed. Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

Posts: 52 | From Illinois | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the title of this thread.

: ) I feel the same way about it

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tmcm
Member # 23249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tmcm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL..fixed the typo, but I did sound better the first way!
Posts: 52 | From Illinois | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had to stop this drug, caused too much pain and neuropathy almost immediately that was totally uncontrollable. But I have high pain levels to start.

Flagyl can be a good drug for some and not for others.

We are all different and she will likely have to experience it to see if it helps or not.

Best wishes.

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please don't worry to death about flagyl.

It is a crucial part of treatment.

The more worked up you get the worse it'll be.

PS: It wasn't that bad for me.

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ping
Member # 6974

Icon 5 posted      Profile for ping     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tmcm - When you say 1/2 a pill, that doesn't tell us what dosage it is. What's the mgs. on 1 whole pill?

--------------------
ping
"We are more than containers for Lyme"

Posts: 1302 | From Back in TX again | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tmcm
Member # 23249

250mg pills
tmcm
Member # 23249

canefan17- thanks and we are definaltey trying to stay positive and we understand that even the bad days due to herx are acutally "good" days. Right now we are just a bit overwhelmed with information and trying to gauge just where we stand. One of our biggest fears is that things will become significanlty worse, right now I would consider her a "high' functioning patient, she still works full time and fights thru the tough times with limited disabilites.
canefan17
Member # 22149

Flagyl is a necessity though. You can't avoid it.

Sounds like you're doing the right thing. Slowly building up the dosage.

Just make sure you bust those cysts up or you'll be wasting your time in treatment.

randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you've got to tough it out. sorry bottom line.

flagyl and biaxin are the best.

but believe me, you'll go through hell but it's worth it.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RZR
Member # 20953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RZR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lymebytes:
Had to stop this drug, caused too much pain and neuropathy almost immediately that was totally uncontrollable. But I have high pain levels to start.

Flagyl can be a good drug for some and not for others.

We are all different and she will likely have to experience it to see if it helps or not.

Best wishes.

If you can't take Flagyl, what do you take for cyst busters?

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

Posts: 2329 | From SouthEast | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karen Mc
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23354

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karen Mc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just started flagyl as well. My LLMD had me taking it 1 week on then 1 week off. I made it through the fist week---finished up last Friday. I did not like it at all, i think it seemed to make me itch terrible and have diarhea (sorry). I will better know when I start back up for my next week period on Saturday.

I had also started some new supplements at the same time so it may have perhaps been them but I'm pretty sure it is the Flagyl.

As important as it is I am going to try to stick it out but it has been one of the worse medicine I've tried so far.

One think I have learned is what is bad for one person isnt necessarily for another so perhaps your wife will do just fine.

I had to cut way back on my plaquenil when I first started it and build up...so that is good your Dr is doing that with her.

If you find she cant take it all the time you might check into the 1 week on 1 week off.

I am seeing a great LLMD and I trust his judgement so it must be ok to do that.

Godd luck and God Bless,

Karen (:

Posts: 422 | From Virginia | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karen Mc
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23354

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karen Mc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah,
I might be missing something cause my lyme brain isnt working but isnt Plaquenil also a cyst buster?? Im on both plaq and flagyl. MY llmd wanted me to drop the plaquenil for mepron but I couldnt afford it??? Just wondering

Karen

Posts: 422 | From Virginia | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asummers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18068

Icon 1 posted      Profile for asummers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am in the minority here, but I love Flagyl. I take 3 full doses a day and I feel the best on this med. So you never know!
Posts: 379 | From Sydney, Australia | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennyflyer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12792

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jennyflyer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with asummers, I did great on Flagyl and had my best improvement with it. However, one tiny sip of alcohol and I was crying for my mother, so they mean what they say.

--------------------
Jennifer

Posts: 266 | From Ocean County, NJ | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elaine G
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elaine G     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No problems with Flagyl.

It seems whenever I have a herx, I try to smile, I know something is dying off and it ain't me [Big Grin]

Posts: 671 | From Fort Myers, Florida | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tmcm
Member # 23249

Thanks for the encouragment and we are staying positive. Also experiencing a new issue with muscle spasms, mainly when she wakes up in the morning and lasts for 45-60 minutes...new symptom? Herx? Side effect? So hard to tell exaclty what it is and we are going to continue to move the dose up.
joalo
Member # 12752

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joalo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just started flagyl yesterday. I'm taking 500mg three times a day for one week each month. So far I'm doing okay.

Your wife is lucky to have such a caring husband! [group hug]

--------------------
Sick since January 1985. Misdiagnosed for 20 years. Tested CDC positive October 2005. Treating since April 2006.

Posts: 3228 | From Somewhere west of the Mississippi | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ariel1
Member # 22227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ariel1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had to stop Flagyl. I was constantly had nausea and diarrhea.

I was taking 1000mg per day. Even when I dropped down to 500mg, I was still haveing problems.

I could tell it was working for me though but my body just couldn't take it.

Everyone will react differently.

Posts: 88 | From DC Metro area | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VB
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
in my experience... go slowly and don't think that just because you're OK after a week that you should rush to ramp the dose up to full level. It took me about 4 months to get up to where my LLMD wanted me (750mg/day, 3 days/wk). It still affects me and I've been on it for over a year. I too work full time so understand the need to be functional. When I ramped up to quickly I had to call in sick to work, which I never do. You can do it... I would just recommend going slowly.
Posts: 453 | From TX | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tmcm
Member # 23249

We are experiencing a new terrible symptom now, her head is full of "pressure" and feels like it is on fire?? Any suggestions? Herx?
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when i first started, i had headaches so bad i had to stay in bed and i would just cry.

i really thought i was having a stroke or something because my veins would swell and i would have intense throbbing pressure at my temples.

it can cause scary herxes.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keltyl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keltyl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The whole thing here is that everyone is different. I don't think you should be scared, that will make it worse.

I tested positive for c-diff but had no symptoms. Am doing IV rocephin. Was put on 500 mg flagyl 3x a day....no ramping up. Fatigue was overwhelming along with depression and a host of other things. I just stuck it out.

Posts: 847 | From upstateNY | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Florence1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Florence1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what is flagyl given for???.....is it typicaaly for Lyme......

--------------------
Oct 09 Positive CDC Western Blot
Jan 10 Positive Babesia Duncani
Jan 10 Cd57 28
Mar 10 EBV, IgM, IgG
HHV-6 IgG

Posts: 739 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jason21
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16393

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason21     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flagyl initially worked ok for me when paired with Biaxin, but I have seen a great improvement since I switched to the cyst-buster Tindamax, which also is an antiprotozoal and antibiotic. I take Tindamax with Cipro. 500mg Tind and 250mg Cipro twice daily.

Also, I am not having the yeast/thrush issues with Tindamax that I had with Flagyl.

--------------------
Igenex WB IgM 28+, 31IND, 34IND, 41+
WB IgG 30+, 31IND,39 IND, 41++++, 58+, 83-93IND
CD57 = 56
Prob infected since 2000
Doxy, Zith, Biaxin, Flagyl, Levaquin, Tindamax, Cipro
Highly Recommended: Trigger Point Therapy Workbook by Clair Davies

Posts: 137 | From South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flagyl rules, yeah you will herx and its hard to take but the benefits of blasting the Lyme are far worth it. Take it all!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keltyl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keltyl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So what does it mean having the bone crushing fatigue, depression etc I had while on it. Could it be the high dosage? (500mg tid).
Posts: 847 | From upstateNY | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22201

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i didnt have fatigue.. but bad brain fog and depression.. flagyl is a drug from hell.. but it blew my headaches away.. i will pulse it now every 3 weeks for 10 days on 800mg a day
Posts: 371 | From velocity of light | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement