LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Lab work....lymes or lupus???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lab work....lymes or lupus???
arauch2008
Member # 17911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arauch2008     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay first let me start by giving you as breif as possible history here.

I have never been a "well" person. But the past 4 years have been a living hell most of the time.

I have been ran around and around like you all know I am sure. Docs have led to lupus BUT my ana has been positive once negative twice. And, I have odd readings on a western blot- all I can tell you is odd because I have since fired that doc and have no other records.

I had a tick bite at 2 yrs old that made me very ill for 2 years. Back then, 1977 there was no such thing as lymes disease little lone chronic.

My current GP is now somewhat questioning lymes. I am working to get testing done through ingenex for co infections but new issues keep cropping up that are stopping me. Recent of most- needing antibotics for kidney infection.

So, while I wait, now another 20 days. I have some questions about past lab test to see if any is familiar to anyone else with lymes. They seen to support lupus- but we aren't sure if they could also support lyme.

Tell me what you think:

lymphocytes- low
neutrophils-high
eosinophils- low to none

this is consistent in my labs for 15 years- not just one or two test....MANY!

Any info you might have I would appreciate!
Thanks!

Posts: 21 | From iowa | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24637

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First off, it's Lyme not Lymes.

The low lymphocytes would certainly be consistent with long-term Lyme. Borrelia burgdorferi is immunosuppressant, like HIV. When you are first infected your lymphocytes will increase to fight the infection, but they will eventually be suppressed by a number of Bb mechanisms.

I don't know enough about it to tell you why lymphocytes would be suppressed and neutrophils would not be. Maybe someone else can help you there. As for eosinophils, once again, the suppressive mechanisms of Bb can reduce white blood cell count.

The kidney infection is very telling. Bb's favorite places of lodging are the brain and the kidneys. Of course, they travel throughout the body, causing joint aches, etc, but their home bases, as it were, are usually the brain or kidneys.

If you haven't done so, go to the Seeking a Doctor forum and type "Seeking a LLMD in Iowa." A moderator will send you a list.

--------------------
Bart and Babesia seropositive
Current tx: Rifampin, Biaxin, Bactrim DS, Artemisinin, Resveratrol (japanese knotweed), Red Root, Boneset

Posts: 168 | From PA | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arauch2008
Member # 17911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arauch2008     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have already and have taken steps to see the llmd- but now am waiting as I stated due to the infection and treatment. There is only one in iowa.

And gosh I don't know if I am just burnt right now but yes I know it is lyme and really you 'comment' just seemed rude.

Posts: 21 | From iowa | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ian
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24637

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I certainly wasn't intending to be rude. Everyone on these forums wants to help you.

--------------------
Current tx: Rifampin, Biaxin, Bactrim DS, Artemisinin, Resveratrol (japanese knotweed), Red Root, Boneset

Posts: 168 | From PA | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arauch2008
Member # 17911

Well thank you for your response. I am tired, sick and tired some more so mistakes in typing and grammar happen alot even when I try to edit and with 4 years being told lupus I have a natural tendency to end it in a s...get it, lymes/lupus...haha
Ian
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24637

I know exactly what you mean. I have always been a good speller but in the last few months I found myself misspelling words often. I also found myself misreading words. It's all part of Lyme fog.

I hope you get to a LLMD soon. The most important step you can take is just to get to a good doctor. Everything is so much easier from there. I know how taxing it is to be proactive and persistent when you feel awful. When you get to a LLMD a huge burden is lifted off your shoulders.

--------------------

arauch2008
Member # 17911

Ian sometimes i want to scream! My brain fog stuff is voerwhelming at times. I have my BS in HR and alsmot finished my masters in the rhetorical study of politics. I am intelligent yet I can come off like a mindless idoit somedays anymore...lol.

Thanks for understanding!

And anyone.....know anything more about my lab test?????

dmc
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
arauch2008,
It's not lyme causing the errors...it's your education "masters in the rhetorical study of politics".

That would be enough to drive anyone's brain bonkers. [bonk]

Bless you, someone's got to be brave enough to study that.

Anyways, welcome to Lymenet. I'm sure you'll find help.

regards,
dmc

Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up for anyone with thoughts on what the above test results could mean...

lymphocytes- low
neutrophils-high
eosinophils- low to none

Are they common in Lyme or co's? (See first post for more details)

--------------------
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again? - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
arauch2008

about lyme or lymes, this is not about typos but you would need to know that any doctor you might see who would call this lymes would not have read the literature (most likely).

As finding a doctor who really knows about lyme is so vital, there are many out there who think it's called lymes and you can tell by their adding the "s" that they don't. Exceptions to this may be a doctor from a certain region or just a single mistake but who normally uses the correct word.

No one was criticizing but just letting you know that the problem with doctors not know about lyme is huge and one way to spot a doctor who does not knows if they get the name wrong - in all the research it's always called lyme and doctors who have read lots about it know that. Those who have not, don't.

This was brought up so that you'd be prepared as you search for a knowledgeable doctor.
---

BTW, 1971 and again in 1977 were the first two major downfalls from a tick for me. Even then being in Boston, no doctor thought to ask me about the tick I'd pulled out of my head after a few days out camping. It would be another 20 years after that before 3 TBD (tick borne diseases) were even considered. Three positives.

So, as you mentioned a " . . . tick bite at 2 yrs old that made me very ill for 2 years" . . .

sadly, yes, it is quite possible that could be the basis for some of the symptoms. Again, a good LLMD should be able to help. Some here have had lyme for decades. Or some other tick-borne infection. When addressed, improvement can be dramatic, even if it takes time. And there are various avenues one can take if one way does not work.

I know this must be very scary but, when you find the truth, you have a far better chance of success. Good luck.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
High neutrophils can be caused by intercellular bacteria's.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dsiebenh
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dsiebenh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was dx with MS and Lyme over the years. I also tested ANA positive for Lupus several times and negative several times. It's a very non-specific test from what I understand. The docs didn't pay much attention to it.
Posts: 252 | From NJ USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arauch2008
Member # 17911

Interesting about the lyme or lymes....maybe it is in my brain due to docs saying it that way not sure??? Did not know there are some actually using it incorrectly and that being an indicator of their knowledge of the disease.

I appreciate all your responses.

dmc- I love politics...lol most fascinating thing on earth to study- sure sign I am ill right...lol [Smile]

lightparfait
Member # 22022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightparfait     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been told that the phrase "lymes" refers to lyme and all co-infections...as an easy way to lump it all together...for those who are not really lyme literate.

Many people in NJ who have had lyme a long time seem to refer to it as "lymes" and those like me who have been diagnosed in the last few years and are more up to date call it lyme and also know their co-infections by name.

Just my observations.

Also, lupus can develope from lyme.

I do not test positive for lyme now...but still have the lupus high ANA and some symptoms of lupus, ie sun sensitivity and sun rashes.

I am still working on the deeper issues to help my body balance and get this under control.

The fortunate ones get lupus relief when the lyme is addressed. Some still need help with pre-existing issues that caused this problem in the first place. Hard to compare with each as we all have different pre-existing conditions that make the anto-immune issues hard to treat.

It is individualized medicine and therapy.

Posts: 1009 | From NJ | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennyflyer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12792

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jennyflyer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya, with those of us in NJ we seem to put an "s" on the end of everything, like "yous" instead of you all. [Smile] tee hee

--------------------
Jennifer

Posts: 266 | From Ocean County, NJ | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement