LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » is this the diflucan herx from hell????

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: is this the diflucan herx from hell????
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry but this is going to be long. i'll try to break it up and keep it fairly simple.

took diflucan 100 for three days. blood pressure shot through the roof 155 over 132, could not get heart rate down below 120.

woke up with broken blood vessels in eyes, so nauseous, too weak to stand. one night has horrible pain in left arm and upper chest. then stabbing pain in head, right side and eye.

go to doctor. he can't get the bp down. (no my regular doc is off, so i see a different one) they have me sit and take some meds and rest.

he goes over my record, talks about my family. i tell him about numbness and tinglying in feet which is now going up to knees.

he asked why i wasn't on water pills, and said "duh, he didn't give me any". he just stares.

he asked why i wasn't on chloesteral meds since in 2008 mine was skyhigh. again "duh, he didn't give me any." he just stares.

so he says "you haven't had any blood work since 2008" and i said "uh yeah" (now i don't mention lyme at all),figure i better not go there.

so he says "well you need a total bloodwork up and an ekg and maybe a stress test. and you definitely need a water pill" so he writes this prescription and i go fill it. (38 cents, thank heavens!!)

i go home and bp is still 147 over 123 and heart rate is 110. i took the water pill.

have a massive headache this morning and went in for bloodwork, made the appt with my regular doc which is for 10 on monday.

mike is not happy with my regular doc and i'm not either.

i feel very weak, egads, my legs feel like water, my head is going to explode, vision is blurry, diahrrea, feel spaced out and like bursting into tears. shaking, emotionally drained, want to sleep but can't.

my bp is now (5 on friday), down to 117 over 50,which is now LOW!!!!!

bottom line -- did i cause a diflucan herx? does it match anybody's symptoms of a herx?

i'm luckly i didn't end up in the er. i really thought i was having a heart attack.

i'm only on diovan and nadolol for bp. nothing else, since i can't take abx.

i'm taking probiotics. but just took only the diflucan.

could it be diabetes?

i've never had anything like this and it's really scary.

[ 03-26-2010, 10:59 PM: Message edited by: randibear ]

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joalo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12752

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joalo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Buried on page two.

Are you feeling any better today? I can't believe he didn't check your blood sugar.

--------------------
Sick since January 1985. Misdiagnosed for 20 years. Tested CDC positive October 2005. Treating since April 2006.

Posts: 3228 | From Somewhere west of the Mississippi | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
he just had me fast and took the blood on friday.

today i'm really weak but at least the headache has lessened.

also i cut the water pill in half. it gave me such a bad headache.

but now my bp is running 90 over 50 or so which is scary low for me.

i'll have to wait until monday but am afraid of what my regular doc will say.

he's probably going to say i'm stressed out and overweight.

i talked to my sister and she thinks i should just give up and go to another doctor. she says i have been going to this one for over 20 years and he thinks i'm a hychrondriac anyway.

maybe she's right.

--------------------

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like uncontrolled BP to me. Doubt the diflucan had much to do with it. What mg was it?

Hope you can find a new doc!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 94891 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

it was only 100 mg and i took it for three days. then on the fourth day, it all broke loose.

i've never had this happen before.

i was crying hysterically and almost couldn't stop. my head was pounding, short of breath, shaking, nauseous, you name it.

--------------------

djf2005
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Id bet it was Diflucan.

Your symptoms have pointed to serious systemic fungal infection/s for a long time now.

You will need to get on better detox, as suggested before, and stay on the med.

The crying is die off, overload of toxins, as were the other symptoms.

Detox, detox, detox, then re start the med w/ detox. I don't mean just lemon water, look into it, pick some good detox tools, and stay on them.

Good luck

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
n.northernlights
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for n.northernlights     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting.
There is a german lyme doctor who treats lyme with diflucan.

I have read some other threads where it is described that lyme and fungus and heavy metals form a complex and hide from the immune system that way.

I think you are onto something.

Posts: 366 | From Europe | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

i'm thinking it was the diflucan also because i was NOT having any of these symptoms before.

my concern is that now my heart rate is high when i'm standing and now when i lay down.

i don't want to damage my internal organs so i need to do something.

i'm afraid to go back on the diflucan because it sounds like i'm not purging the toxins.

i have sarsaparilla and of course water but that's it.

i'm going back to the doc on monday.

what about these water pills he put me on to lower the blood pressure? will the blood pressure go down on it's own?

since it sounds like this is such long term infection, what would be the best way to detox?

--------------------

TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The high pulse and low blood pressure could easily be a result of the diuretic. Many diuretics remove fluid from the blood volume which then dumps the blood pressure and increases the pulse.

The type of detox you need depends on your specific issues but if you are treating lyme and fungus, I would suggest starting with a binder to see if that helps. I listed some OTC binders in the recent detox thread. Also something to bind heavy metals as die off from lyme and possibly fungus will release heavy metals. Coffee enemas might be very helpful too.

I recently tried diflucan and couldn't tolerate it because it dumped my blood sugar.

I hope you feel better soon.

Terry

Posts: 6282 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
n.northernlights
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for n.northernlights     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your blood pressure is way too low, I think it would be wise to phone the doctor's office to ask if you can stop the water pills.

Did you just start on blood pressure meds too? I would think that the blood pressure will go back to pre-diflucan after stopping the diflucan, and that they need to reconsider the meds now that your pressure is way down.

what do the others think?

Diuretics alone are often used to get blood pressure down.

Other approaches are combinations of water pills and blood pressure meds, or just blood pressure meds alone.

which diuretic are you one? There are several different kinds, each with different potential side effects.

About the cholesterol, how are your thyroid numbers? TSH, free t4. If the TSH is highish, and the ft4 is lowish, the high cholesterol most likely comes from slightly low thyroid.

In the old days, they used the cholesterol tests to diagnose hypothyroidism. Cholesterol goes down with thyroid hormones.

Lyme sometimes interferes with thyroid, and most LLMD's treat thyroid when needed I think. More readily so than ordinary doctors.

Lots of functions in the cells are dependent on thyroid horomone, which is needed in each cell's rna to make the subestances the cells are supposed to make.

Posts: 366 | From Europe | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stay with it. Diflucan has helped me quite a bit recently.

Yeast is a really big deal and causes a lot of symptoms (has been say to have the ability to disrupt every function in the human body(Systemic yeast)

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

i'm going to try it again but not for a week or so.

unfortunately we're going out of the country and i don't dare want to be that sick when no doctors are going to be available.

i'll try to detox as much as possible, drink plenty of bottle water and i'll take the bp monitor with me.

i won't be able to really do anything until about the 13th when i get back.

--------------------

TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are other things you can do for yeast besides taking diflucan. There are tons of herbals that are fairly effective and prescription meds that may be easier for you to tolerate.

High blood pressure can be dangerous so if you think it is the diflucan causing it or making it worse, please talk to your doctor before taking it again.

I was shocked at how bad my drop in blood sugars was making me feel. No way I could continue with the diflucan as much as I'd like to since I took it for a year once and I felt so much better for about a year afterwards.

Terry

Posts: 6282 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitty9309
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19945

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitty9309     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you tell the doctor you just saw about having had taken the Diflucan?
Posts: 819 | From East Coast | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by canefan17:

Yeast is a really big deal and causes a lot of symptoms (has been said to have the ability to disrupt every function in the human body(Systemic yeast) [/QB]

Indeed!!!

Randi.. now that you explained it more, it does sound like a herx. But be sure to find a dr who will correctly manage your BP.

Get on the right diet! No more white foods!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 94891 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B4LYME
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for B4LYME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you taking any other meds with the diflucan? You may want to check on interactions at www.drug.com . Some things like milk thistle and grapefruit juice can affect the drugs as well because of the CYP450 3A4 pathway in the liver.

Just some thoughts.

B4

Posts: 144 | From PA | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement