LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Doxy Sunburns; how do YOU handle it?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Doxy Sunburns; how do YOU handle it?
Gahagan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gahagan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG this is horrible. My husband and I both have LD and we're both taking 400mg Doxy daily. We typically live in our garden but we have become so hypersensitive to sun that we're wondering how we will get through the summer.

Staying indoors is not an option. We have far too much time and money invested in our garden hobby and we are obligated to tend to it.

We are getting burned even while using the sunscreen our LLMD recommended. We where protective, wrap around sunglasses. I just ordered sun protective shirts. (Cannot imagine wearing them on hot days...but I guess we have no choice.) We wear wide brim hats and long pants. UGH!

The "burns" are quite odd; the skin almost looks as if blood is attempting to leak through our pores. And the weirdest thing is the feeling of cold rain on our skin when there is a cool breeze or even when I wash. Very, very odd sensation.

So...to my fellow lymmies I ask you: how do you combat the sun sensitivity associated with doxy?

Posts: 212 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess I have been very fortunate. So far the times I have been in the sun, I wore sunscreen and long sleeves and pants and a big hat. I only stayed in the sun for 30 minutes at a time and I have had no adverse effects.

This weekend I am suppose to go on a picnic and to the zoo. I guess I will see how spending more than 30 minutes in the sun is going to effect me.

It is very frustrating to have to be ill and then on top of that feel like you are bound to the indoors when it is so nice outside.

I went to the beach in Nov, while on Doxy, but only stayed in the sun 30 minutes at a time, with plenty of sunscreen and completely covered. Maybe the angle of the sun back then helped.

Maybe someone else will come along with more info. I am interested myself to see what ideas others may have since I want to spend more time outdoors this year.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on Doxy the summer of 06, and I'm a boater. I was pretty sick that summer and didn't do much boating but I did invest in a Coolibar umberella with 50spf. I still love it.

I would sit in the sun for 10 to 15 minutes per day with no issues.

If I had to be out I used a high SPF and a big brimmed hat.

For gardening you should check out Coolibar products - they have great hats, cool long sleeve shirts, gloves, slacks - the works. They are an Australian company and Aussies swim in long pants and long sleeves.

Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I limit my exposure to short periods, look for shade, cover up, and use sunscreen.

My LLMD says he is willing to pulse the doxy/plaq with a different combo if I don't want to completely switch to a different combo for summer and I start burning too much.

I didn't want to switch because I am having slow but steady improvement in my head and neck pain with the doxy/plaq.

I totally understand the odd burns and cold feelings.

Last year I was in NYC for the weekend when it was a freaky 90-95 degrees for 3 days in April. I was on doxy and burned quite badly. My skin became really tough and red, like leather.

When I am exposed to the sun I notice the feeling of ice cold pins and needles on my hands. I burn easily on my hands and the base of my neck in the front around my clavicles.

Do the best that you can.

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
During the sunny times of year, I ask my LLMD to not put me on doxy.

If that's not an option for you, I think the best thing is to try to stay out of the sun and when you are in it, cover up with long sleeves, pants, wide-brimmed hats, etc...

Lymers

Posts: 287 | From Humboldt County, CA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gahagan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gahagan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I ordered the Coolibar long sleeve button up shirts. At $60 a piece, I only bought one each for my husband and me.

For now, I'm using a $10 tight weave straw garden hat from KMart, lightweight sweatpants,a chambray shirt and, of course, gloves. (I think I wear less during the winter... :-] )

We also wear Cocoon brand sunglasses. (They fit over our prescription glasses)

I'm thinking about buying the arm sleeves (arm socks) to keep in our vehicles because we're getting burned while traveling, too.

I'm lucky in that I am able to stay realatively active. In fact, I feel worse if I don't push myself to be active. Most of my LD symptoms are fybromyalgic-like.

Posts: 212 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is no way to combat the sun sensitivity associated with doxy. It's either stay out of the sun completely, or stop the doxy.

Generally, 30 days of doxy at the beginning of treatment is all that is ever needed. That kills ehrlichia in case you have it. You have plenty of other meds to choose from to treat the lyme and coinfections.

No need to be staying on doxy.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I disagree about how long you should stay on Doxy. The mechanism by which it works is needed long term. It keeps the bacteria or spirochete from replicating and thus it dies eventually on its own; but this is a long term process.

I have been on Doxy for 10 months and have at least another 10 months to go according to LLMD. It is also best to get your D level up to a high level while taking it to modulate your immune system.

I believe the 2 together is the key.

I have already been on many other antibiotics such as Flagyl, Zith, Biaxin, Malarone, Minocycline, etc. None worked. I am convinced that for now at least, long term use of Doxy is the way to go.

As far as the sun issue, you just have to take precautionary steps to protect yourself.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to let you know, I had a total of 3 lyme doctors. The first one put me on doxy. I got the doxy burn. He then apologized to me for putting me on doxy in the summer. And, he switched the meds to something else.

Neither of my next two lyme docs used doxy.

It has been 5 years since I completed my treatment and I am still symptom-free, enjoying my life. I have the same life I had before lyme disease.

I had lyme, babesiosis, and bartonella. I was undiagnosed for at least 10 years. Still, I got rid of this disease.

There are many protocols for treating this disease. The one that got me well is the Burrascano protocol. It has also gotten all my friends well.

You can read the protocol here:

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

As you will see, Dr. Burrascano lists many, many meds that are effective against lyme disease and its coinfections. Doxy is just one of the many.

Burrascano recommends high-dose combination antibiotic therapy to get rid of lyme disease. The doc that got me well used amoxicillin and flagyl. That is only one of many alternatives.

The doxy burn is so nasty that nasty is not a nasty enough word for it. I thought I would go out of my mind with pain. It felt like someone had a blowtorch to my hands.

And, the extreme sensitivity to the sun that I had after that lasted a long, long time.

Definitely wear gloves while driving. You can burn through windows and the windshield.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B4LYME
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for B4LYME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD told me to get Neutrogena's 100 sunblock. I've tried 50 and that helped a lot after I burnt my nose a week or so ago.

He's keeping me on it for now because of rocky mountain spotted fever and other co's like ehrlicia and it does have some bart activity.

Your sensitivity may be different than someone elses. Just be careful and cover what you can while on it.

Posts: 144 | From PA | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Yep, it is the doxy burn. I had it. Better start wearing gloves when driving. You don't want it to get worse.

When it gets bad enough, you will see little bumps on the spots that really tingle. And, the tingle can start to feel like fire.

lizajane
Member # 16931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lizajane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to be outside alot during summer. Live on a farm. When summer starts my LLMD switches me off Doxy if that is what I am taking. Right now I am on Biaxin.
Not the same abx treatment works the same with each individual. I have been seeing my LLMD since fall of 2008 and I have been on several different abx.
Sometimes he has me pulse different ones sometimes I am on one continuously at high dose.
It is his call according to how I feel and what my current symptoms are that is how he decides to treat. But like I said we and our systems and how they react to Lyme treatment are all highly variable.

--------------------
IGM Result Positive
CDC/NYS Result Positive

**23-25 kDa ++
**31 kDa +
**34 kDa IND
**41 kDa +
58 kDa +

IGG Result Negative
CDC/NYS Result Negative

**31 kDa IND
**39 kDa IND
**41 kDa ++

Posts: 27 | From middle of nowhere | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gahagan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21194

My husband (retired) is outside much more than I, since I work full time. We are both on doxy.

My ears are sore, itchy and rough. My nose is rough and is beginning to look like a drunk's nose. My forarms look like I'm getting over a case of poison ivy rash.

He is looking bad. His forearms look like he had hot cooking oil splashed on them.

AN IMPORTANT QUESTION: Does "doxy burn" increase your risk for skin cancer in the same way that regular sun exposure does? Damn...I don't want to fight lyme only to die from skin cancer!

sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sunburn from doxy is very bad - in my experience. I had the scars from it for a while... I wasn't even in the sun that long. It was in NJ & the sun wasn't even 1/2 as strong as it is in the south.

Either try another abx or stay out of the sun. I don't think you can rely on sunscreen. It has alot of chemicals which may cause cancer.

Best bet would be to wear sunproof clothing & hats, gloves, etc. but it's not always practical. Doxy makes your skin photosensitive. It's worse that a regular sunburn - not that a "normal" sunburn is anything to joke about...

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
azdaisy
Member # 25357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for azdaisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, gardening!? nice! maybe early and late in the day are your best bets and of course all the topical and physical protection as listed above.

I live in Arizona and was on Doxy in 115 degree heat. I get it. My LLMD gave me an RX for the car to have special tinting even on the windshield and I must carry the RX in the car at all times. to avoid tickets!
I have had no choice but to bend my life to heal first. The doxy and sun was so painful and as a retired skincare expert, the ABX can make your skin so thin and therefore sun penetration deeper and damage greater. Enjoy every second of your garden! if you are just begining your journey prepare yourself to the possiblity that you might have to make accommodations and come to terms with the rigors of Lyme treatment. Fight to keep that splendid garden! Lyme takes so much.

--------------------
AzDaisy
life requires action

Posts: 58 | From Tucson, AZ | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starch
Member # 16205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on 400mg of Doxy for 9 months or so and very quickly had the same tingling sensations you describe. I ended up getting burned pretty bad. I still have some red marks from I burn I got 1.5 years ago.

I disagree with others that there are plenty of comparable medications to consider. Yes there are lots of other drugs but they more or may not be helpful. Only way to find out is to try. I've been on other meds and have so far not needed to get back on Doxy though I still consider it from time to time. Defintiely explore your options with you doctor.

In the meantime, stay covered. The one sunblock that did anything to help prevent burns was Neutrogena Ultra sheer drytouch sunblock at least SPF 55. The key ingredient is something called Avobenzone.

Best of luck.

Posts: 48 | From Baltimore, md | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
azdaisy
Member # 25357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for azdaisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ten cent suncreen opionion...get natural zinc and titanium dioxide. they are surface reflective and are OMG I can't spell today! phsyical blocks rather than chemical. I am way too sensitive for those.
Eurcerin for sensitive skin on mass market or John Masters for speciality.- this one is all organic too! lucky vitamin has good prices on it.
cheers!

--------------------
AzDaisy
life requires action

Posts: 58 | From Tucson, AZ | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stay off doxycycline for the summer. That cold rain feeling and tingling and burning can be very annoying and painful.

Switch to Ceftin or another antibiotic until the fall.

In my experience,

CherylSue

Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peacemama
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peacemama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in the stay off doxy for the summer. I live in MN, and my doc switched me to Minocycline this time last year.

Before that, I wore gloves, covered up and carried an umbrella when I went outside.

Because the burns happened in no time.

Posts: 564 | From Tick Hell | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psano2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so glad I'm off of doxy for this reason. When I was on it, I had to start wearing long sleeves, sun gloves and hats, and even then the heat would make my skin prickly sometimes. I also used a sun blocking umbrella when outside.

I think the suggestion of going off of doxy and on to something else during the summer is a good idea.

Posts: 975 | From California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyn8
Member # 24356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyn8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Underarmer Shirts for the sun help also, cheaper than 60.00. That's what my daughter wears doing her sport in the sun on doxy, thinking of making a change if they don't feel she is ready to come off abx, by the end of the month.
Posts: 29 | From NJ | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Just jumping in here. I just had this visual image of a moveable shelter for when one want to garden or spend time outside.

It would have to be large enough and a tight weave for good shade and positioned to avoid sun "bounce" - and still maybe just at certain times of the day . . . but it may be a very good option in addition to covering up with cotton.

I think sunscreens' chemicals can make things worse for many. So, a sun tent may save the day. LLBean, REI, camping places should have them but also sites for skin cancer patients, I would think.

Sun tents could also be fashioned out of the right material. Certain colors would work better than others.

Support that any hardware store could help you design - remembering a way to stake it to the ground so it does not fly away with the first gust of wind. There may need to be air slots in some parts - or the bracing configured in a specific way to work with the air flow.

Sounds like a fun project.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement