LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » How to stop these muscle twitches?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to stop these muscle twitches?
kissygoose
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kissygoose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are really starting to drive me up a wall.

I don't know if they've just gotten worse or I've just started noticing them more.

They aren't localized. I get them all over my body. Just slight twitches of a muscle. Not painful but distracting and annoying.

Actually the only ones that are painfull are in my palsy arm and back but I've always had them, they just seem to be more frequent now.

Is there any way to calm these things down?

Posts: 115 | From Central PA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jkmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jkmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zith, Biaxin, and Ceftin all calm mine down within days of starting them.
Posts: 984 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carol, where are you?

Magnesium works to stop muscle twitches. Carol in PA can guide to the best brands.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22234

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wait until they are in your eyelids. Talk about annoying.

I actually went to the doctor for it once after it wouldn't stop for a couple weeks (I didn't know what was wrong with me at the time). She told me it was normal and everyone gets those. Ha!

I feel your annoyance. Magnesium can work. But it doesn't work for magnesium resistant twitches. You can learn to ignore them as long as they aren't in your eye or face.

Posts: 967 | From A deserted island without internet access | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kissygoose
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kissygoose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had them in my eyes. Those are the worst.
Posts: 115 | From Central PA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Magnesium is essential for this symptom.

Mag Tab SR or Magnesium malate.

I did mag sulfate IV and when I switched to oral meds,it became IM Mag shots.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
B12 shots IM helped me a lot as well as Epsom Soaks.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sickpuppy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickpuppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been taking mag tab for months now and the twitches are as bad as ever. No abx has stopped them either. Nothing I've done stops them. Sorry to say.
Posts: 702 | From North Eastern USA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I am actually on Topamax for the twitches and it has stopped them completely. If you have them bad enough, you can talk to your doctor about that. They can be so bad they can be considered myoclonus, or myoclonic seizures, which kind of just means bad muscle twitches.

Mine are part of the small fiber neuropathy and I needed more than magnesium to stop them. With the Topamax, I don't twitch at all.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
garunner
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19474

Icon 1 posted      Profile for garunner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been treating for a year and a half...IV, orals, bottles and bottles of Magnesium, Epsom salt baths...the works. I still have twitching, although not as frequent and not as pronounced. I used to take Diazepam at bedtime to calm my legs down, but I don't need it anymore.

--------------------
IV graduate. As of 1/10, oral Omnicef, Minocyline, Mycobutin, Levaquin, and Flagyl. Lyrica and a bunch of supplements.

Posts: 123 | From Atlanta | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myco
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyone always says Magnesium. Never worked for me either. I don't think it's a sign of Magnesium deficiency. I think it's a very clever bug.
Posts: 770 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kissygoose
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21314

I actually take Magnesium and topamax. Neither one has helped. A lot of mine are deep down muscles so you don't see them move but you feel them almost down to the bone. They are different from the one's I've had all my life from the Erb's Palsy.
emla999/Lyme
Member # 12606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emla999/Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Magnesium seems to help some people with their muscle twitches but it didn't help me with the twitching. I have taken magnesium via IV's, IM's, oral and transdermal. And it just didn't help me with the twitching..... not even a little bit.

The ONLY thing that has helped me at all with the muscle twitching is antibiotics.

Posts: 1223 | From U.S.A | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Treating bart stopped mine. It used to get bad cramps too.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swedish lyme sufferer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14579

Icon 1 posted      Profile for swedish lyme sufferer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nefferdun, what ABX did affect and treat your bart?
Posts: 347 | From sweden | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonysgirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tonysgirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been treating for 3+ years now off and on and the one thing that has remained a constant has been the twitching. I have tried the Mag supplements, b12 and epsom salt baths, nothing has worked.

I think at this point, the damage to my nervous system/brain is what is causing this and it cannot be rectified. If you read about a condition called Benign Fasciculation Syndrome, it is usually begins after a bacterial or viral illness. I think that is what is the case with me. So whether or not it is the Lyme itself or BFS that is causing this, I think it is here to stay.

Posts: 157 | From connecticut | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bugg
Member # 8095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bugg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For what it's worth, I have found something that's finally helped my muscle twitches. I treated with IV/Oral abx for about three years for all coinfections and then stopped. The twitching never stopped. I also did IV and IM mag. I think the mag helps, but for some as we've seen from the prior posts, it's just not enough.

What's worked the best for me? Modulating my immune system using whey protein and higher doses of Vitamin D...I've posted about this in other threads....I want to be clear about two things: 1) when you first start taking especially the Vitamin D, it can INCREASE the twitching for awhile and 2) you may initially feel worse when starting whey protein or higher doses of Vitamin D. In fact, I've gone through periods of "herxing"....

Now after just a few months of supplementing, I still have some twitching but it is MUCH, MUCH BETTER. I no longer look down to see my knees/arms/elbows twitch. Ugh, it was so awful....

I'm not recommending this for everyone as I know others choose to stay on abx long-term; I'm just saying for me, personally, I've chosen after stopping abx to try to "modulate" my immune system....I just felt like my overactive/dysregulated immune system was causing severe inflammation and muscle/nerve disruption due to resorption of bone/muscle....

No idea if my theory is right but I'm feeling better than I have in a long time....Not cured, just better functionally....

Hope this helps someone....

Posts: 1155 | From Southeast | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement