LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » My Adrenal Results are back, and not what I expected..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My Adrenal Results are back, and not what I expected..
Wolfed Out
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfed Out     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been dealing with what I thought were adrenal/thyroid related issues, but I don't know what to make of this.

Here's a link to results:

http://img263.imageshack.us/i/imgce.jpg/

The tests were conducted at intervals from 11AM, 3PM, 7PM, and Midnight.

Personally, I'm most tired upon waking up, and roughly 2-3 hours afterward I feel like I need a nap everyday. I suppose this is validated by my cortisol dropping until 3PM during the test. Afterward, I generally feel plenty of energy until later in the evening.

My LLMD said this is what they normally see prior to a resulting crash. Everything I've been researching has been for low cortisol, so I'm not sure where to even begin with how to correct high cortisol.

I already eat great, don't drink and have a low intake of sugars.

Posts: 829 | From MD | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
High cortisol (and low) flag adrenal stress, woven in to the entire endocrine system. Whatever affects one part of the endocrine system affects all parts. It does look like your endocrine system is trying hard but then crashes.

It's very fortunate that you have details, really. Know you have information that will better light your path.

Every lyme patient has major adrenal/endocrine stress. But most regular doctors have no clue. It's good that yours does. Adrenal support can help normalize that but it can take a long time and it may take several trial and combinations to find the right treatment.

Infections such as lyme typically raise the cortisol level at the wrong times. So, it's to be expected, really. And levels can to all over the map. I also think tests can only show us a glimpse of the full picture. We really have to listen to our body when it tells us it needs rest so that the adrenal system can heal.

Often, endocrine support is needed all the way through treatment as infection is just such a horrible stressor on endocrine function.

There are some supplements that offer very specific support to the HPA axis, so affected by lyme. (Hypothalamus-Pituitary-Adrenal working triange: H & P tell the Adrenals what to do. Adrenals are a slave organ and if the signals get messed up or the adrenals don't have enough stuff to push out, they still keep trying and crash.)

Your doctor may also suggest low dose hydrocortisone (Cortef).

There are many past threads you can can find, using both terms to search in the subject bar.

Good luck. It's good that you've got this information so you can take action. Take care. Rest when you feel the need.

==================

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

Advanced Topics in Lyme Disease (Diagnostic Hints and Treatment Guidelines for Lyme and Other Tick Borne Illnesses

Dr. Burrascano's Treatment Guidelines (2008) - 37 pages

------------
As important as any supplements, sections regarding self-care:

Go to page 27 for SUPPORTIVE THERAPY & the CERTAIN ABSOLUTE RULES

and also pages 31-32 for advice on a safe, non-aerobic exercise plan and physical rehabilitation.

Page 27, Excerpt:

CERTAIN ABSOLUTE RULES MUST BE FOLLOWED IF LYME SYMPTOMS ARE TO BE PERMANENTLY CLEARED:

1. Not allowed to get behind in sleep, or become overtired.

. . . .

===================

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal_axis

Hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis

====================

A collection from my file notes ---

canefan17 posted this first set:

Adaptocrine K2

Adrenal Stim & Adrenal Calm creams
Vit C with bioflavanoids (2000mg/day)
Pantothenic acid B5 (1000mg/day)

split up all throughout the day.

the creams I do....

Adrenal Stim 9am-12-3pm
Adrenal Calm 9am-12-6pm

For thyroid I just started Med Caps T3 (helps with conversion of T4 to T3) (Kelp)

(canefan17)

===================

Not typically an adrenal herb, Cordyceps helps support the "kidney channel" according to Chinese medicine. Since the adrenals sit on top of the kidneys, that also helps the adrenals.

Cordyceps is recommend here for many reasons:

This is included in Burrascano's Guidelines, but you may want to be able to refer to it separately, too:

http://www.lymepa.org/Nutritional_Supplements.pdf

Nutritional Supplements in Disseminated Lyme Disease

J.J. Burrascano, Jr., MD (2008)

========================

Great information about treatments options and support measures, including those to help adrenal/endocrine function:

http://tinyurl.com/6lq3pb (through Amazon)

THE LYME DISEASE SOLUTION (2008)

- by Kenneth B. Singleton , MD; James A. Duke. Ph.D. (Foreword)

You can read more about it here and see customer reviews.

Web site: www.lymedoctor.com

======================

http://www.prohealth.com/ME-CFS/library/showArticle.cfm?libid=14383&B1=EM031109C

http://tinyurl.com/detwtt

Underactive Adrenal Gland - Stresses and Problems with the Body's 'Gear Box' - by Dr. Sarah Myhill, MD

=======================

Many libraries carry this book and you can read 95 customer reviews here (average 4.5 star out of 5) AND see inside the book:

www.amazon.com/Adrenal-Fatigue-Century-Stress-Syndrome/dp/1890572152/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263516913&sr=8-1

Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome

~ James L. Wilson, ND, DC, PhD, Johnathan V. Wright, MD

About $10. And qualifies for free shipping with a total $25. Purchase at Amazon

======================

http://tinyurl.com/y8bd9k2

Curcumin Prevents Some Stress-Related Changes (By CP Staff)

Excerpts:

A recently published study investigated the effects of curcumin, a constituent of the botanical turmeric, on changes in cognition and memory caused by stress. . . .

. . . In this new study, researchers investigated the effect of curcumin supplementation on stress-induced learning defects in mice. . . .

. . . In addition, curcumin reversed the stress-induced increase in the levels of serum corticosterone, the primary hormone secreted during the stress response. . . .

. . . The researchers concluded, ``Thus, curcumin may be an effective therapeutic for learning and memory disturbances as was seen within these stress models, and

its neuroprotective effect was mediated in part by normalizing the corticosterone response, resulting in down-regulating of the phosphorylated calcium/calmodulin kinase II and glutamate receptor levels.''

===================

http://tinyurl.com/6xse7l - through Amazon:

The Potbelly Syndrome: How Common Germs Cause Obesity, Diabetes, And Heart Disease (Paperback) - 2005

by Russell Farris (Author), Per Marin (Author)

Much about stress reactions here. - you can read customer reviews at the link. Attention is given to lyme and other chronic stealth infections however, it does not go into details about solutions.

===========================

This is not a lyme book.

This book has only one reference to lyme (in the historical use of sarsarparilla for another spirochetal infection). However, it is a vital first book to read - or a reference - for anyone interested in understanding nutritional methods.

Search for Ashwagandha; Cordyceps; Siberian Ginseng in this book:

http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com

The One Earth Herbal Sourcebook (Tillotson)

Graciously, much of this book is on line. It can also be purchased from this site or through Amazon where you can look inside the book and see many customer reviews.

Amazon link to this book: http://tinyurl.com/6zapeh

=====================

The Rhodiola Revolution byt Richard P. Brown, MD and Patricia L. Gerbarg, MD, et.al.

See this at Amazon.

==================

Adrenal articles - explaining much (but not specifically in regard to lyme patients):

http://www.vrp.com/ArticlesSearch.aspx?k=Adrenal

==============

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/89790

Topic: NATURAL SLEEP - Links to articles & supplements

==============

Being GLUTEN-FREE can make a huge different with endurance and mood related to adrenal exhaustion. Many LLMD require their patients to be gluten-free, for good reason.
-

[ 05-21-2010, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Also consider MOLD exposure (?)- and chemical stressors. Going scent-free in all your personal care and cleaning products will help adrenals.

BioKleen and Seventh Generation good cleaning stuff.

Avalon Organics has clean personal care products with real lemon or peppermint oils. Just for starters.

=====================

Good reading that gives hope:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

PubMed Search:

Ashwagandha - 351 abstracts

Cordyceps - 506 abstracts

Cordyceps, Adrenal - 4 abstracts

Curcumin - 3385 abstracts

Curcumin, Cortisol - 5 abstracts

Curcumin, Adrenal - 19 abstracts

Eleutherococcus - 199 abstracts (same as Siberian Ginseng)

Siberian Ginseng - 227 abstracts

Rhodiola - 287 abstracts

Fish+oil, Adrenal - 167 abstracts

low+dose+hydrocortisone - 77 abstracts
-

[ 05-21-2010, 12:29 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Specific support for each of those organs:

Hypothalamex
Pituiten
Adrenix

from www.inno-vita.com
Your doc should be able to grt them for you.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfed Out
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfed Out     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebler,

Thanks. You always offer such detailed information and background references to support. You're a big help to me on this forum, thank you again.

Massman,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll do my research on them.

----

I've been taking Tumeric (Curcuma longa) (root extract) at 600mg/daily, and Fish Oil at 850mg/BID.

I had planned on looking into Cordyceps. That's my next step.

My LLMD added to my regimen:

Iodoral(Iodine/Iodide) 12.5mg taken BID.
RegeneMax (Choline/Silicon) 100mg/5mg taken BID.

I'm still wondering what supplement will effect me in a good or bad way. I was under the impression some would be better for high cortisol, and some for low cortisol. And, it seems like I'm flying really high on cortisol but crashing. Even my low levels are higher than the normal.

So, I need to understand that these supplements work for both high and low cortisol, by regulating the HPA-axis?

Posts: 829 | From MD | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Cordyceps may not be enough. It is the mildest of them all. It's an excellent place to start but it may be redundant if you are already taking a therapeutic dose of Curcumin. This is where the advice of a LL ND would be so very helpful.

There's no way that a few posts here can do justice to this area.

Singleton's book specific for lyme patients and, in general, Myhill's article and Wilson's book all explain a lot - so much that just won't fit here. Wilson's book can be found through your library or inter-library loan. That's how I first got it.

If you have a LL ND (naturopathic doctor) to guide you that is best. Only a LL doctor, though. I would have thought your LLMD had suggestions.

Here's one more link:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/86110

Topic: Hydrocortisone

-

[ 05-21-2010, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Just added this over at your twin-link. Thought you might want it all here so you can copy it all together to your personal research/study computer file:

As you say (in other thread): " . . .The feeling is like the ground is soft underneath me, like I'm stepping onto a trampoline. . . ."

You may be figurative in your description as this is such a complex area with many fine lines.

If you are describing what is literally going on, that indicated inner ear involvement. That, alone, can cause high stress and results in high cortisol and then sharp drops when your adrenals can't keep up with demand.

Just look at all the ways the inner ear can affect our body. Lyme often clobbers the whole inner ear/ middle ear / balance system. And that will undoubtedly create endocrine and cardiac stress.

If you have vestibular symptoms, Ginger Capsules may help. More below.

==============

http://www.vestibular.org/vestibular-disorders/symptoms.php

VESTIBULAR SYMPTOMS

==============

Specific for LYME patients - lots of details about ears and what can help:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=065801

Topic: TINNITUS: Ringing Between The Ears; Vestibular, Balance, Hearing with compiled links - including HYPERACUSIS

=================

Mitochrondria is discussed here, as well as other cardiac support s that will help endocrine function. It's a lot to read, but it's more of a start for your own personal research.

Still, it would be so much easier if you had a good ILADS-educated LL ND (naturopathic doctor) who has four + years of study just in herbs and how those affect human function.

===================

Look at Hawthorne, d-Ribose, CoQ10, etc:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/77325

Topic: To everyone with cardiac symptoms please read !

-

Wolfed Out
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23727

Well, we may have found another connection.

I do have ear issues; mostly regarding ears feeling plugged, I can swallow or move my jaw a certain way to pop or unclog it.

Also, light tinnitus, fluid-sac build-up in the ear (which I believed was allergy related and decreased with diet change).

Still, it confuses me why my imbalance symptoms are only flare during the later afternoon into the evening, correlating with my cortisol spike.

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Your body is managing - working very hard and generally do a pretty good job but it is very tiring to have inner ear stuff going on. That really stresses every other system of the body and it can only hold up for so long at a time.

Even tightrope artists have to rest sometime.
-

blinkie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blinkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also think co infections cause this, specifically babesia. That is what I'm fighting now and feel EXACTLY as you do everyday.

Wake up tired, more tired 2-3 hours later and need a nap, feel good in the afternoon until late in the evening. It's like clockwork everyday and the main thing keeping me from going back to work.

I'm treating lyme now with IV penicillin and it hasn't gotten any better. I know that babs is my main problem. Kicked the crap out of bart, so it's not that, and I get some minor relief os symptoms on lyme meds.

Posts: 1104 | From N.California | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is he going to double check for a adenoma?

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Adrenal adaptogens treat high and low cortisol. Rhodiola, Ashwagandha, Eleuthero (Siberian Ginseng) are examples. Adrenals need Vitamins B5 (pantothenic acid) and C. Phosphatidylserine can heal the HPA axis.

That said, I mucked around with this stuff for 15 years, with no real results. I took supplemental adrenal and hypothalamic glandulars. I even took natural and synthetic low dose cortisol.

What finally healed my HPA axis was treating my Babesia and taking 5g/day of Corvalen brand D-ribose. D-ribose feeds the hypothalamus.

You can read about it at www.endfatigue.com.

This is a common cortisol pattern in chronic infection. You should support the adrenals, but they may not fully heal until your pathogen load comes down.

Wags,
BoxerMom

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

BoxerMom - what specific supps did you take for hypothalamus support, if you don't mind ?
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Adaptogens are thought to act on the hypothalamus.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Massman - I took Biotics Research brand Cytozyme PT/HPT. It's a glandular. I was not super impressed, but I needed much more than support. My HPA axis was BUSTED!

I was much more impressed with the D-ribose and phosphatidylserine. Fixed my sleep after 15 years of recalcitrant insomnia.

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfed Out
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23727

Great stuff everyone,

I don't know if it's a coincidence, and what tomorrow will be like, but I had a MUCH better day with my balance issues and fatigue.

I laid down and took an hour and a half nap around 6pm this evening, when I was feeling a little tired; I just let myself rest.

And, I supplemented Ginger root (per Keeblers suggestion) and Pantothenic Acid (B-5) @ 500mg prior to my nap.

Cognitively, I am almost pumping on all cylinders right now.

Will test out for the next few days and report my results!

MorningSong
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19989

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MorningSong     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for this thread.

Boxermom, Can D-Ribose help with both high acth and high cortisol? I am still learning about the HPA Axis and support. I really appreciated hearing your success story.

Posts: 515 | From In His Loving Care | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might need some sea salt. The adrenal glands need salt to function properly and a lot of us are salt deficient. NOT speaking about common Table Salt. Also the adrenals benefit greatly from Vitamin C.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfed Out
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23727

Gael,

That's interesting because my LLMD said that Sea Salt lacks the Iodine that many of us are deficient in.. So, Iodized Salt would be a better choice

I have seen benefits from using Vitamin C and B-5 in a short time though. [Smile]

glm1111
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sea salt has beneficial minerals that are devoid in table salt because they have been processed out. Sea salt has trace amounts of iodine. If someone is deficient, which can be determined by the patch test, they can add iodine as a supplement or buy Iodized Sea Salt.

Also table salt will deposit in cells because it is not boyant like the sea salt.

At any rate, the original point was that the adrenals need salt to be efficient.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Looks like salivary cortisol which are notorious for being inaccurate. If you want true results get a fasting blood cortisol level drawn 3 times and an ACTH test.
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry, I think that sea salt info you just gave is total conjecture/marketing (ie about 12-15 years ago a bunch of 'sea salt' marketing companies first showed up on the health food market, followed shortly by a 'himalayan salt' healing craze, and there was a lot of misinformation that came out of the salt vendors' attempt to distinguish their product from cheap regular salt, and it sounds like the guy who runs the Salt&C yahoogroup perpetuates this misinformation).

Sodium chloride is sodium chloride from a body's perspective. The other stuff in sea salt? some of it is just clay and other colorants. Yeah, they're minerals, but you have no idea which ones and whether they're actually beneficial. You can learn quite a bit more about this mineral issue in the book Salt: A World History, which is a fun, easy read if you're neuro symptoms allow you to read books, and there are lots of more scientific sources of info about the supposed 'trace minerals' in the heavily-marketed expensive salts. Bottom line is that there's no medical reason to go that route, and certainly nothing wrong with pure table salt, and no difference between sodium chloride plus contaminants versus sodium chloride plus added iodine, in terms of your body's desire for sodium chloride.

Please list a scientific reference for the 'more bouyant' claim, that runs counter to everything we know about the body and sodium chloride.

[ 05-22-2010, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: MariaA ]

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
* Light at night (after 10 or 11 pm) can destroy healthy endocrine function

Also note that if light gets into your eyes when you are to be asleep, the test results will not be accurate. Or, rather, the light interference with the pituitary gland totallay messes up HPA axis function.

Of course, with lyme, it's a question of the chicken or the egg, however, it's best to get to one's "personal best" for at least a month as far as the day/night light exposure and then test.

Even if you can't sleep, it's best to rest with eyes closed. Day dreaming, visualization of pleasant places or guided activities of your dreams, gentle yoga . . . these can still help the body rest and may help summons slumber.

Lights before bedtime need to get dim an hour or more beforehand, especially computer lights and TV should be off at least one hour before sleep. Same with cell phones - one flash of light can destroy the night's brain rhythm.

All electronic equipment in bedroom should be unplugged, not just switched off. Alarm clocks should be as far from your head as possible and the face covered. (Not with a towel as that can be a fire hazard, though. Painter's tape and black paper work well.)

Black out curtains &/or a sleeping mask (use a fresh tissue each night to go between face and mask to keep it fresh).

Cell phones should be out of the bedroom and definitely never charging near anyone's head, or even on the other side of the wall. The pulsation of these devices changes (in a bad way) our own electrical rhythm. In a fairly short time, our bodies actually synchronize to the cell phone charger's pulse.

Red lightbulbs, as used in dark rooms are an option for settling down the brain (and endocrine hormones). Alarm clocks need to have RED light only, no other color (if so, cover it when you go to bed at 10 or 11 pm). Night lights: use red bulbs.

More about light and the brain (and hormones) can be found by research "sleep hygiene" and "circadian rhythm" - and also in the adrenal books.

* Day Light benefits

First thing in the morning, it's good to get natural light into our eyes - not stare at the sun, but just have our eyes open to daylight WITHOUT eye glasses or sunglasses, contact lenses, windows, etc. Even under some shade, just having eyes open in the light of day sets the hormones in our brains.

Reading (if you can do without glasses or contacts), or sipping on the morning's Green Tea, is okay but its a good time to do some Tai Chi exercises, too.

For some, perhaps just sitting at a open window is all they can do. A window screen may filter some light, but some still gets in and if that's the best possible way, it's certainly better than nothing. Just nothing between eyes and daylight, out of direct sun.

Caution, though: Those on doxy need to be especially careful to sit or stand OUT of the direct sun (or "bounced" sun)- but still get day light into eyes. You can go to a side of the building that blocks the sun and still get benefit from its light into eyes.

More research on that, for a start: search: John N. Ott "Health and Light"

* Nightshift workers need expert advice.
-

[ 05-22-2010, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

glm1111
Member # 16556

Maria,

I don't want to side track this thread with a debate about sea salt, but I must add that table salt is HEAVILY PROCESSED with SILICON DIOXIDE the same substance that is used in breast implants.

I believe it has been taken off the market for breast implants due to the fact that the leakage was making people deathly ill. I'd hate to think what ingesting it over yrs of using table salt can do.

It is added to prevent clumping. It doesn't have to be added to sea salt because it has the natural minerals. which is what makes it buoyant. (Just common sense)

Your attack on Marc from the salt/c group is totally uncalled for. But hey,if you want to eat Table Salt that's your choice.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW

MariaA
Member # 9128

Silicon dioxide is a very inert material- it's occurs naturally as sand and is made into glass. I doubt that's the stuff in breast implants, it's hard as a rock.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_dioxide

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

MariaA
Member # 9128

I cook with sea salt and with regular salt, depending on what I have around. I have no idea what you are trying to convey when you say 'more bouyant'. Please explain how salt is bouyant or not?

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

springshowers
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had great benefit from Sea Salt in relation to adrenals and I am about to try another cycle of the Salt C for that reason. As well to do a cleansing and more..

But I am well aware of the controversy and I have already done the protocol before for a time period and know how my body reacts overall. I was not in a position to continue it longer term due to the other choices in treatment I was making and I did not want to do both..

I think it is picked on and picked apart for not good reason when you research it it is like any other protocol. Pros and cons and things to look out for and watch for. Some of us are not meant for certain protocols across the board and there is nothing different about this one as opposed to other supplements or treatments that people choose to take to help with whatever part of the disease they are trying to treat.

I have never heard of table salt being compared as stated above that there is no difference as far as the body is concerned and sodium chloride.

Thats like saying there is no difference between white wheat flour and natural wheat flour that has not been stripped or processed.

Its just not the same at all and even though they are both products of wheat.. not even close.

Wolfed.> If your doctor mentioned salt then I would consider natural sea salt

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

The 'brown is healthier' comparison to flour is totally different situation than salt (and we're not debating salt/c, just the claim that sea salt is different than table salt, which seems to have mostly come into the Lymeland from the salt/c yahoogroup).

why it's not the same thing:

Flour is a complex carbohydrate, protein, fiber, and fats mixture that your body digests in a complex process. When you're eating unnatural refined flour, you miss out on the fiber that normally slows down the blood sugar spikes. You also miss out on other nutrients that are in the whole flour.

Salt is a simple chemical that your body either extracts from certain plants (like spinach) or that can be added to foods as a mined or evaporated mineral. It's a rapid process. There are no other nutritional elements that change the process. Mineral salt is sodium chloride with varying mixtures of contaminants that may or may not be helpful to your body, but they don't have an interrelationship the way that, say, fiber and starch digestion does when you perform digestion of wheat. Your body still goes after the molecule sodium chloride- it's not a complex process like digestion of carbohydrates. It doesn't break it down any further. If there happens to be a bit of beneficial clay in the salt, as is the case with 'pink' salt or gourmet 'grey' salt, those minerals may be helpful if they happen to be something you need, but they have nothing to do with salt metabolism.

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

massman
Unregistered

Dang !

Reality trumps theory [bonk] EVERY time!
(not satire here just truth [Cool] )

And biochemistry is just theory - got that from my great biochem teacher 1983-84. [Cool]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Sea Salt is different. I value Gael's advice on this, as always. She has a professional medical background and has done a lot of research beyond that.

Sea salt is different and does not act exactly the same in the body as processed table salt. Sea salt, in moderation, can be a big help to adrenals. That is detailed in some of the adrenal articles and books with links earlier in this thread.

Here's a little more.

================

From Vitamin Research Products:

http://www.vrp.com/ArticlesSearch.aspx?k=Sea_Salt

Search results for Sea Salt - 7 articles

Note that each article has the support of several 3rd party citations.

======================

Here's just a start to some of the links from a Google Search: Sea+Salt, adrenals

http://www.bodyecology.com/07/02/08/what_you_dont_know_can_harm_you.php

Salt: What You Don't Know Can Harm You - and What You Should Do Instead

Excerpts:

Flavorful Poison

Regular table salt, or iodized salt, is highly refined and has additives like sugar, chemicals, and preservatives. Many of the preservatives are not required to be listed on the container and include ferrocyanide, magnesium carbonate, and aluminum hydroxide. . . .

. . . By contrast, natural sea salt is taken from the ocean where it forms in concentrated amounts, with no added chemicals, preservatives or sugar. It contains not only necessary sodium, but plenty of minerals your body needs for each and every cell.

. . . .

Sources:

Gittleman, ND, M.S., Ann Louise

* Understanding Salt and Sodium,

http://askwaltstollmd.com/archives/salt/290243.html

and: http://search.freefind.com/find.html?id=8942677&pageid=r&mode=ALL&query=Sea+Salt&mode=Match+ANY

* The Grain and Salt Society, www.CelticSeaSalt.com
-

[ 05-22-2010, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

glm1111
Member # 16556

Keebler,

Excellent info as always and much appreciated.

Thanks,

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement