LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Time for my Tetanus vaccination...do I or don't I get it?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Time for my Tetanus vaccination...do I or don't I get it?
Loonie1980
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18637

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loonie1980     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone,
I'm due for a Tetanus vaccine soon, I was hoping to get a lot of feedback from people who took during vaccinations during active Lyme diseas and treatment and how you reacted.

Am really nervous but I don't want to get Tetanus if I step on a rusty nail or something.

Posts: 182 | From hills and valleys | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy C
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure if you are in an environment where you'd step on a rusty nail or not but I know the odds of that happening to me are so very slim. Just one thought to concider.

Plus from what I have read tetanus is more of a problem for countries where people don't keep clean. The way you get it is by getting an infection in the cut. So if you clean the area well afterwards you most likely are not going to get tetanus anyways.

Also I have heard many people say after they had this vaccine their lyme got significantly worse. I know some people even had dormant lyme triggered by this vaccine. Hoping some others will come on and give you their experiences.

I don't have any because we don't vaccinate anymore now that I have researched about all the toxins in them. Both my boys have lyme also and one of them has autism so I think they have enough toxins without adding vaccines to that mix.

I don't push my beliefs on anyone. I usually just say whatever you decide please inform yourself 1st [Smile]

This is one site I used to help inform myself:
http://drtenpenny.com/default.aspx
She is a doctor that is local to my area.

Best of luck to you!

--------------------
My lyme disease blog:
http://lymetimes3.blogspot.com/
One BIG Lyme family!
I tested CDC + 10/08
My mom Igenex + 11/08 & My brother Igenex + 4/09, My 2 boys some + & IND bands, clinical diagnosis 3/09 (youngest has Aspergers too)

Posts: 470 | From Painesville, Ohio | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ask your LLMD if your immune system can handle getting the vaccine.

If you've done well with your vaccines in the past, you should do fine with this one too.

I got the TDaP (tetanus, diphtheria, acellular pertussis) vaccine a couple years ago. Had no problem with it. Needed it for my job. I had Lyme at this time but was not in treatment yet.

If you are going to be around children or older adults I would highly encourage you to get the TDaP vaccine instead of the TD vaccine. Pertussis would be hard to fight off when you are immune compromised from Lyme.

So, talk with your doctor. They would be your best resource to help you decide if and when would be the right time to get your booster vaccine.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiden424
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7633

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aiden424     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will NEVER get another tetanus shot!! I had one about 12 years ago and about died.

Kathy

--------------------
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

Posts: 807 | From South Dakota | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Same for me, no more tetanus shots.
I got extreme fatigued afterwards and did not get better till now.
Karen

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lauralyme
Member # 15021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lauralyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would never get another vaccination

--------------------
Fall down seven times, get up eight
~Japanese proverb

Posts: 1146 | From west coast | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I had one a tetanus booster April Fool's Day, 1987. I have not been the same since.

Within a couple hours of the vaccine, I was in the E.R. with real "lockjaw" - the other name for tetanus. I could not move my mouth at all. I nearly died, with convulsions in the ER, that then developed a seizure disorder and made thinking, processing sensory stimuli very hard. I have not been able to think the same since.

I used to teach and give presentations in front of mostly a couple dozen but sometimes hundreds of people. I enjoyed that and was energized and generally said to do a good job. After that, I could barely talk to two people in the same room at the same time. That has not improved by much.

Now, I will say that, at that time, I'd been ill with a non-stop sinus and ear infection all winter and had also been given a sulfa drug and a decongestant new to me that same day as the shot.
So, it could have been other things - except that the symptom of tetanus, a locked jaw, was a red flag.

Lyme was likely then in the mix but would not be diagnosed for another ten years.

I just finished looking through a book about Ototoxity (Bauman) that I just received. Many vaccines, including tetanus, are listed as toxic to the ears.

Tetanus can be a very serious infection, indeed. And it can be transmitted even by some soil so it's not just by a rusty nail. you need to read up on Tetanus so that you know the ways it can be transmitted.

Now, if you could get a vaccine with the mercury removed, or the formaldehyde removed, you might consider it.

I would still never risk tetanus - I'd just try to protect myself as best possible were the shot required due to likely exposure.

Now, though, the word is that a tetanus shot will protect for 30 years, not just for ten.

Find out about your options.

Ask about mercury. Ask about the formaldehyde in them. Read Russell Blaylock's articles about vaccines. Read about the adjudicants used - detailed at www.mercola.com

After you read all that and learn more about tetanus, then you'll have more information upon which to base your decision.

Beyond mercury:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=131625;p=0

VACCINE INGREDIENTS - Informational Links set
-

[ 10-28-2016, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickitout
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickitout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very seldom do I go outside and just my luck I was walking through a bush area where I could see groundhog holes. Trying to avoid them a block of wood with 2 rusty nails sticking out wasn't in view and guess who stepped on it...I couldn't believe it. Went through my sneaker and into my foot, very rusty nail.
With a low white count I just figured better safe than sorry so went to the ER for a tetanus shot.
I have so much going on medically but a few days later I was flat on my back bearly able to make it to the bathroom due to weakness.

I truly thought I would end up in the hospital I felt so helpless and sick.

I guess that was 3 weeks ago and I am still extremely weak and sleep most of the day.
All my symptoms have increased worse weakness, nerve pain is horrible with nothing able to touch me and well you all know the rest.
I never put it together.

Feel like I did when I had sepsis. I will never get another vaccine.
I did call my dr..it was after hrs. The answering service said he is giong to tell you to go for a tetanus anyway.
Never heard back from him so I went.

Good luck with your decision..wish I knew then what I know now. Not to persude you this is just my luck. Good luck.

Posts: 139 | From nj | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sickpuppy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickpuppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had to get a tetanus shot. It began the downward spiral for me. I had undiagnosed lyme symptoms before but this really was the start of the major problems.

Is it a live vaccine, anyone know?

Posts: 702 | From North Eastern USA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlebit27
Member # 24477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for littlebit27   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe I have been experiencing very subtle lyme symptoms for almost 6 years now. Looking back it all makes sense.

Anyway in late 2007 I have vaccines like crazy because I was in basic training for the Army. Got the penicillin shot in the butt, the tetanus and many other vaccines that I have no idea what they are.

They didn't bother me. But like I said I was only experiencing VERY subtle symptoms-sore throat-achy knees-really achy back-weight loss-hair loss-low grade fevers- I didn't even put them all together, totally thought they were unrelated but now it seems they were all closely related. Everything was unexplained, no idea what was causing any of it. I was a perfectly healthy woman.

With all that being said if I had the option to get it now I wouldn't. I'm a too afraid to add anything else to this mess I am experiencing. If one person had a bad lyme reaction to it I don't want it! If the risk to get tetanus is low then I wouldn't bother.

I work in construction so the risk is definitely there but I'm covered for now because of my vaccines in 2007. I'm really careful in everything I do. Not only cause of the risks but also because one of the meds I am on causes bleeding to be worse then it normally would be. So I bleed a lot harder and longer then normal.

--------------------
*Brittany Lyme Aware on FB*
http://littlebithaslyme.wordpress.com/

Posts: 2310 | From Southeast | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do NOT get this vaccine!

I got my teatnus-diptheria-pertussis shot about 3-4 years ago. Was treating Lyme, in the middle of treatment and doing somewhat better.

However, I had a horrible reaction to this vaccine, felt TERRIBLE for days afterwards, and in the end, never really bounced back to where I was before I got the shot. I was so devaatated. So in other words, it basically caused a relapse that I still am trying to dig out of.

It was definitely the vaccine....within 15 min of getting it, I was feeling like I was carrying 100 lb weights on my body, and started crying because I felt this weird feeling coming over me. I tried to get up off the couch and practically couldn't even stand. It was too bizarre for words.

I won't go into detail because it's early in the AM and I need to go, but I have spoken with about 3-5 other Lymies who also had problems with the Tetanus shot.

So I highly recommend against it while ill. Our immune systems are just not normal.

I had gotten a flu shot while sick with Lyme before the DPT (tetanus shot), and I "seemed" to handle that one fine, so don't think just because one is okay that this one will be, etc.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sickpuppy,

I don't think it is live, but a chiropractor told me that some people have problems with the toxin of one of the infections that is in the vaccine...it was the pertussis or diptheria toxin, not the tetanus, according to him. But note that people normally just call this shot a "tetanus shot", even though it is for 3 things.

Anyways, given my reaction, I wouldn't risk getting a shot even with just tetanus, because who knows.

I also spoke with someone who had a bad reaction, like me, in 2005 or 2006 (can't remember the year at the moment...morning here) and they said that that year it was like a "bad batch" or something. Whatever that means.

Either way, I can't risk having something like that happen again, so I'll never get another one.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jkmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jkmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think if you stepped on a rusty nail or something, you could go get the vaccine then, if it was necessary.

Also, my LLMD said it was possible to do a titer and check the levels. He was thinking I could try to do that to show the school my daughter didn't need the vaccine. He thought the immunity lasted longer than the schedule allowed.

Posts: 984 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most tetanus is found in road dirt. It is not like it was 40 years ago when there was limited

antibiotics and availability. If you get infected it is treatable. If you get damages from the

vaccine that may not be so easy to fix. I would do all the research you can to make an informed

decision.
http://www.whale.to/vaccines.html is a good source for incidents as well as VAERS where you can search the databases.

I listened to parents testimonies this week of various vaccines that took their children or permanently damaged them.

It is accepted that there is collateral damages in some. When they will not conduct the studies to determine why instead choosing to sweep it

under the rug in those patients it is our duty to make the most informed decision we can.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tetanus as a clinical entity is linked to a bacteria, Clostridium tetani. Obviously, the germ is not as malicious as one may think because it lives as a harmless commensal in the animal and human intestinal tract (1).

It is not the very presence of the bacteria which causes the trouble, but the toxins that are produced by the bacteria under anaerobic conditions, that is, where the bacteria operates in an environment free of oxygen.

These toxins can be spread through the blood vessels and finally affect the nervous system causing tetanic muscle contraction and pain. The condition is extremely painful and potentially lethal.

Tetanus morbidity is very low in industrial countries. In the USA, for example, there are only about 50 cases a year (2); in Germany, 17 (3).

Mortality figures range between 33% (4) and 20% (2).

The incidence is higher in tropical countries and under poor hygienic conditions. Mortality is 135 times higher in developing countries compared to developed countries.

In those countries, tetanus in newborns plays a very important rote. Most of those cases are caused by using dirty, rusty scissors when cutting the umbilical string of the newborn.

THE VACCINE

1. Efficacy

Prophylaxis against tetanus raises serious theoretical and, above all, practical questions, since the disease itself is known not to induce immunity. It the disease cannot induce protection, how can a vaccine?

Antibody levels do not rise until 4 days after vaccination (5), so vaccination at the time of injury is of no use.

Viera et al confirm this: `This minimal protective level is an arbitrary one and is not a guarantee of security for the individual patient" (6).

During the Second World War, five U.S. soldiers died from tetanus; one of them was fully immunised, the others partly. Also among the survivors of tetanus infection, 50% were fully immunised, and part of the other 50% were partly immunised (10 p156).

During that same war, the British Army counted 22 tetanus cases, and half of them died; all of the deaths were partly immunised (10). The drop in tetanus cases between 1950-1974 from 2.5 to 0.1 cases/100 000 population is not only a result of vaccination; mechanisation of farming and other changes in living habits also played a major role (10).

Goulon (1972) saw tetanus occurring in 10 out of 64 "immunised" patients (12), Berger (1978) made observations about tetanus in well-vaccinated patients (13). Passen & Andersen (1986) relate a case in a 35-year-old man who developed tetanus despite the fact that he was found to have a neutralising antibody level 16 times that considered protective (5). He was fully vaccinated in childhood and had had boosters up to 4 years before the accident.

Whole article in

http://www.whale.to/v/tetanus.html

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loonie1980
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18637

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loonie1980     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone,
OMG I can't believe what I've read. Thank you each and every one of you who responded. I have gone through each post and I am floored. I had no idea..none that this stuff could be potentially so harmful.

I know the ultimate decision is mine, I might check for immunity if possible, but I doubt my PCP is going to like that idea.

Think I just won't say anything and hopefully they won't push it either. This is incredible, I SO appreciate everyone's opinions, feedback and links.

Posts: 182 | From hills and valleys | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onbam
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't get it.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/downloads/appendices/b/excipient-table-2.pdf

As an aside, though:
It can't be a live vaccine, according to my understanding, because the organism is so lethal. According to what I've read, this is why the disease can't confer immunity; if you got enough bacteria in you to do that, you'd wouldn't survive.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.whale.to/additions.html

This is this years additions/articles.

There are many not posted here so do not use it as your only reference source.

--------------------
IgM neg pos

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sister in law just got one recently and had flu-like aches and pains .. she doesn't even have lyme!! ( I don't think! ) She was miserable enough to post it on Facebook!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=131625;p=0

VACCINE INGREDIENTS - Informational Links set
-

[ 10-28-2016, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Dateline NBC. Tonite---http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032600/

http://www.ageofautism.com/2010/05/dr-andrew-wakefield-on-the-today-show.html?cid=6a00d8357f3f2969e2013481813714970c

"I'm Not Going Away", and This is Just a Bump in the Road."

The drug companies sure wish he would go away. Yet the public prays he stays on it.

I have followed Doctor Wakefield for 14 years. Thank You Dr. Wakefield for standing up for the people and the possibilities that exist.

Prayers you will be blessed one day with a Nobel Prize.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGrOS75I66g

So this is Dr. Offit that created the Rota vaccine that has been shown to be contaminated with virus that have harmed children is saying vaccines are safe....You decide for yourself.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE64D58I20100514

Some strains of the pig virus are believed to cause a wasting syndrome in young piglets, marked by diarrhea and an inability to gain weight, but they are not known to injure humans. Tests found DNA...from the virus in master cells used to make the Glaxo's product.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20107217 N Engl J Med. 2010 Jan 28;362(4):314-9.
Vaccine-acquired rotavirus in infants with severe combined immunodeficiency

--------------------
IgM neg pos

EllieP50
Member # 15936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EllieP50     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone had experience with other vacinations, and were their reactions as bad? I had a really bad reaction to tetanus vac.before I even had lyme, and wouldn't get one again. I try to stay away from all vacinations, but I want to go overseas on a volunteer program. I'd probably have to get a yellow fever vaccination and maybe typhoid. Anyone know specifically about those? I just started to plan this since I'm feeling better but am worried about getting the vacinations. I hate to give up doing this and other traveling just because of the vacinations. Thanks
Posts: 34 | From Saratoga Springs, NY | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

http://article.wn.com/view/2010/05/19/Expert_panel_examining_WHOs_swine_flu_handling_to_review_con/

Expert panel examining WHO's swine flu handling to review confidential contracts with industry2010-05-21

--------------------
IgM neg pos

Pinelady
Member # 18524

http://article.wn.com/view/2010/05/15/FDA_Approves_Infant_Vaccine_Containing_Fragments_of_DNA_From/

FDA Approves Infant Vaccine Containing Fragments of DNA From Porcine Circovirus 1 & 2 (Pig Virus)

The Right hand does not know what the Left hand is doing.

We must know.

--------------------
IgM neg pos

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement