LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Articles about Babesia Treatment?!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Articles about Babesia Treatment?!
daniel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22201

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey folks,

my llmd want to do me some clindamycin (2100mg/day) + 500mg quinine/day.

she would like to have some articles about babesia treatment, especially about the clinda/quinine combination. other combinations are fine too... like atovaquon and azi... i already searched but i found no articles written by some DRs or LLMDs.

greetz

Posts: 371 | From velocity of light | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
daniel, are you sure the dose of Clindamycin is correct? I believe the typical dose is 600 mg daily.

Has your doctor seen Dr. B's treatment guidelines at http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf He discusses Babesiosis starting on page 22 and treatment for it starting on page 23. He states that this combo can have serious side effects.

Posts: 4680 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why is your doctor asking you to do research for her?
Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My former LLMD did very weak doses of Clindamycin/Quinine, BUT that doesn't mean it's easy to handle! They were 600 mg Clindamycin/300 mg Quinine. Quinine is ruthless on your ears and Clindamycin, while I believe very effective, is a big risk for C-Diff.

Daniel, your doses are what the IDSA recommends (yeah you read that right). [Smile] However, they believe it's cured easily in a few days. Neither seems to be accurate. My old LLMD pulsed 10-day cycles twice. The concensus here is a minimum of 4-6 months is needed and different strains of Babesia respond to different meds (if at all). Curing it in 3 days or 20 days is a pipe dream.

the bottom line is the research done to date on Babesia is a joke! I looked up everything possible on WA-1 and came up with NOTHING. It's not fair or right. I believe the IDSA is covering this illness up.

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22201

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey,

i've already printed the burrascano guidelines.... like i said, she would like to have some feedback about the clinda/quinine therapy too.

i know i take a high dose, thats are 900mg i.V. and 2x 600mg oral clindamycin a day.... + the quinine
i have to take the 900mg i.V. firstly for 2 weeks... and how i respond to it she will give me another 2-4 weeks.
this protocol is famous here and already done a few times by an another llmd.
i have to do some research for my llmd because im a different case... not many sick people here have babesia... or bartonella, i have both. (live in germany).

greetz

Posts: 371 | From velocity of light | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi daniel. Initially you posted the Clindamycin dose was 2100 mg. I believe 1200 mg is still higher than typically prescribed here, but it is not as high as 2100 mg.

Just be cautious with the side effects of Quinine.

Good luck!

Posts: 4680 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why don't you do Mepron/Zithromax? That has been found to be better tolerated and more effective.

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably too expensive Luvs.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are a couple of books about babesia but I'm not allowed to mention the doctor's name here.

PM me if you want further info.

You could also do a search on Amazon.com for - artemesia, babesia, medical treatment - to find them.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22201

because mepron/zithromax is more expensive as clindamycin and quinine.. i will try clindamycin and quinine first and if i tolerate it well.. i will go on for 6-8 weeks.. than i want to switch to mepron/azi for another 8 weeks

what about lariam???

greetz

Amanda
Member # 14107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably the best source for medical literature is www.pubmed.com

It is based in the U.S. but there are medical articles from all over the world. Type in key words, and it will search them for you.

I took Mepron and zith for 26 months. For the first year and a half, it seemed to help some, but then I slowly got worse. I am having much better sucess with Larium.

One thing you will find is that many of the lyme doctors use drugs "off label". Meaning that the lyme literate MDs are experimenting with drugs and dosages NOT found in any literature because we know so little about tick diseases. Also, what works for one person sometimes doesn't work for another.

I would encourage your MD to contact the International Lyme and Associated Diseases Society (www.ILADS.org). Its a medical organization. Your doctor can go there and look for guidelines, and also contact other ILADS MDs.

So, I agree, try the stuff that is least expensive first. There have been a few people here who said they got the best results from using clindamyacin.

The person on this site that has tried everything and knows alot about being a patient trying to rid himself of Babesea is Groovy2. You can private message him. I believe he is having great success with a short course of clindamyacin, then stopping that and taking primaquine.

--------------------
"few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" - Mark Twain

Posts: 1008 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22201

thanks a lot [Smile]
daniel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22201

im takin clinda and quinine now since tuesday.. today im feeling very weak.. i have no power and my body is hurting here and there... a little bit dizzy too.... on thursday i had some stomach issues but they are gone... hope the weak_/fatigue feeling will improve soon.. [Smile]
valeriedc
Member # 24950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valeriedc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Larium is one drug I'm taking. After the loading dose, which caused me dizziness, reduced appetite and generally feeling off (Day 1 was tough, Day 2 better then fine), I haven't really noticed any symptoms. Definitely feeling better with reduced symptoms. Mepron and Malarone didn't seem to have much or any impact.

The wisdom on this site and from my llmd is that everyone is different and trying different med combos is generally the case for many sufferers.

Good luck!

Posts: 72 | From washington dc | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement