LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Paquenil and eye problems?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Paquenil and eye problems?
triathletelymie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for triathletelymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paquenil was recently added to my regimen. When reading the side effects, I am really afraid of the possibility of permanent eye problems, including blindness. Has anyone had any eye problems from using this drug? Should I have an eye exam and if so, what should they be checking for?

--------------------
? date of bite/no rash
10/09 symptoms, 4/10 diagnosed, after 6 mos. ER visits, tons of docs/tests
CDC+ 23/39/41/45/58/66/93
currently on oral plaquenil, doryx, rifampin, pyrazinamide, nystatin, numerous supplements

Posts: 718 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had eye problems after a few days on plaquenil. Was like a stroke but I think just the vein was obstructed. I still have a cotton wool spot from then, they could not resolve this problem.
Had vision problems then for years like blurred vision ....

I have to go on plaquenil again but always put it off.
Would be intereted how many people had eye problems - unfortunately these are not able to work on the computer, so we probably never get the real number.

It is not 100 per cent sure that an eye problem is from plaquenil or it could have happened also without plaquenil.

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should have a baseline eye exam done before you start Plaquenil. Your eye doctor will be familiar with what to watch for. Many people take Plaquenil for other diseases like Rheumatoid arthritis.

My eye doctor suggested follow up exams every year with visual field testing. He also gave me a vision chart to look at once a week to make sure that I'm not having any noticeable changes in my visual field.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
triathletelymie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for triathletelymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Karen and Sammy for the info...much appreciated!

--------------------
? date of bite/no rash
10/09 symptoms, 4/10 diagnosed, after 6 mos. ER visits, tons of docs/tests
CDC+ 23/39/41/45/58/66/93
currently on oral plaquenil, doryx, rifampin, pyrazinamide, nystatin, numerous supplements

Posts: 718 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like Karen, I had sides within the first few weeks of starting Plaq...eye strain and bleeding gums.

I'm willing to push through a lot of things but eye involvement is not one of those things.

It is a regimen of choice often for auto-immune aspects of lyme and probably should be tried by those who can tolerate both Biaxin and Plaq together.

I love Biaxin but am not sure if I'm willing to try Plaq again even though it may be a useful drug.

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme in Putnam
Member # 11561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyme in Putnam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son went to Dr. J. and he put him on 200 mg. plaquenil (he was 10 yrs old). My son had iritis from having lyme. I asked Dr. J. and he said from 800 mg. on might cause eye problems. my son was no where near the amt at 200mg. My sons iritis cleared up within a few months of steroid drops and he's off everything now. He's 15. The plaquenil was for the lyme, not the iritis. Good luck.

--------------------
He took u to it, He'll you through

Posts: 2837 | From NE. | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EyeBob
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EyeBob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PM me, I will tell you what's what. Plaquenil doesn't cause vascular occlusions nor does it cause eye strain as suggested by others. The incidence of maculopathy related to it's short term use is rare....and....generally reversible. If your Amsler grid shows any changes call and see your eye doc.
Posts: 299 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it definitely caused a sensation of eye strain for me. Whether or not that side was herx or med-related is debatable. There were no other variables at work at the time.

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erikjh1972
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for erikjh1972     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i believe i read somewhere 1 in 1000 will experience eye trouble. but certain risk factors will increase incidents. i.e. over the age of 60, liver, kidney problems.

since its mainly used for RA you have ti figure most , not all of those problems were in older people.

--------------------
3 months Doxy
8 months of Tetra
7 months of Biaxin/Plaq.
4 months Doxy/Biaxin/Plaq.
5 months Biaxin/Plaq.
Back on Doxy/Biax/Plaq
On the road to recovery.
Trying to make people Lyme Aware.......

Posts: 289 | From R.I. | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hurtingramma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurtingramma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I asked my eye Dr. when I first started on it and he told me that a person would have to be on it for many, many years for it to cause problems. He's been in practice for a very long time (just retired) and is considered an expert in the area.

I have a "plaquenil" check done by him every year, and there has never been any change.

--------------------
"Few of us can do great things, but all of us can do small things with great love". Mother Theresa

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1629665573&ref=name

Posts: 938 | From Northeast Kingdom Vermont | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement