LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » i have SHINGLES!!!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: i have SHINGLES!!!!!
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
first, let me say a big huge thank you to all who responded. you know i would not have gone to the doctor without your help.

i called as soon as i read your responses and they said get here asap. the waiting room was full but they took me immediately it was in the room in 5 minutes. that's unusual.

he took one look at my hip and said uh oh, and i said not hives huh? he said uh no, it's shingles. i asked about the shot and he said too late, you have it.

he gave me something called valacyclovir three times a day for a week. the pills are huge!!!

my hip is really sore and hurts. plus the skin on the front of my leg is very sensitive to the touch and hurts.

he thinks we caught this early and says he's hoping i don't have any problems. if you catch it early then there's a chance you won't get it again.

he said maybe the diverticulitis, on top of selling my car, all the stress at home, and all just has completely deleted my immune system.

said showers, no baths, don't pick at it. what scared me was when he said "i won't lie to you. this is going to get worse before it gets better. it may spread, ooze pus and crust. don't panic, just keeping taking the meds. get plenty of rest, no travel."

i told mike to go to san antonio by himself. he's going don't touch my towels, don't use my sink, wash your hands. geez, you think i have the plague or something.

but again thank you,thank you, cause i would not have listened and stayed home.

but here's the question -- are people with lyme more prevalent to getting shingles?

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LightAtTheEnd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24065

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LightAtTheEnd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know, but I think it's from the usually dormant chicken pox virus.

I know Lyme and its treatment can make your body a hospitable place for usually dormant viruses to activate again, by lowering your immune system. I have had a couple of mine act up more than once since I got Lyme.

Your hubby could catch chickenpox from you if he hasn't had it, but not shingles. If he has had chickenpox, then he could get shingles at any time if his own immune system stopped keeping the virus dormant.

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/shingles/shingles-topic-overview

According to the above link:

"You can't catch shingles from someone else who has shingles. But a person with a shingles rash can spread chickenpox to another person who hasn't had chickenpox and who hasn't gotten the chickenpox vaccine."

"After you get better from chickenpox, the virus "sleeps" (is dormant) in your nerve roots. In some people, it stays dormant forever.

"In others, the virus "wakes up" when disease, stress, or aging weakens the immune system. It is not clear why this happens. But after the virus becomes active again, it can only cause shingles, not chickenpox."

I think you can get shingles again, but you can only get chickenpox once.

--------------------
Don't forget to laugh! And when you're going through hell, keep going!

Bitten 5/25/2009 in Perry County, Indiana. Diagnosed by LLMD 12/2/2009.

Posts: 756 | From Inside the tunnel | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well it certainly is painful!!

and ya'll know i'm under constant stress.

oh yeah, forgot. he wants me to start on lexapro in one week after i finish the shingles meds. said i really needed it.

i have to go back in three weeks.

--------------------

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Randibear,
LED light therapy can help reduce the pain and inflammation of shingles.

LightWorks from vendors on eBay.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
grandmother
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19908

Icon 1 posted      Profile for grandmother     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started to get what I think is shingles. I slathered antibiotic ointment everywhere it hurt and all over the rash and it worked.

When it flares, I slather antibiotic ointment all over it and, yes, it's definitely a stress thing.

[group hug]

Posts: 921 | From CT | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Stress can trigger it, yet since shingles is a viral infection, what about a topical anti-viral solution, in addition to anti-viral Rx?

An arnica cream might help decrease pain, too.

I also vote for the SOTO LIGHTWORKS, though, in your case. It has many great uses and would be a wonderful investment. (I'm saving up for one as I've read so many good things about pain relief from it.)
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

what kind of antibiotic ointment? you mean just the general tube stuff from walmart or something?

how about just putting coconut oil on it?

--------------------

Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Since shingles is a virus, antibiotics will not help. Coconut oil may cause it to burn (but since it is natural and absorbs, it may be fine).

I'd not put anything processed and oily on it, especially anything with a petroleum product in it as some general tube stuff from WalMart would likely contain. Many oily ointments from petrochemicals tend to hold in heat.

I had a friend who had shingles all around her hips a few years ago. It was an amazing site. Once one got over the shock and could manage the pain, she seemed mesmerized by "art work" - as she called it.
-

[ 07-07-2010, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
One-ounce tube: http://www.vitacost.com/Boericke-Tafel-Califlora-Calendula-Gel-1-oz

larger size: http://www.vitacost.com/Boericke-Tafel-Califlora-Calendula-Gel

Califlora Calendula Gel

Boericke &Tafel's brand is non-oily and very easy to use.

=======================

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calendula_officinalis

Calendula officinalis

. . . Calendula officinalis is used for the treatment of skin disorders and pain, and as a bactericide, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory. . . .

========================

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=calendula%20officinalis&cmd=correctspelling

PubMed Search:

calendula officinalis - 208 abstracts

calendula officinalis, antiviral - 4 abstracts

===========================

You might also consider topical solution of Colloidal Silver or Nano Silver.

Internally, the valacyclovir is a Rx antiviral. When that runs out, you might consider Silver as a follow-up.

Is there a valacyclovir ointment?

ADRENAL Support would be very helpful, too, all along the way.
-

Hoosiers51
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got shingles about 5 years ago, on my jawbone. I was 21 at the time.

I had been treating with an LLMD for awhile, then took time off to do lots of alternative stuff. I was doing some heavy-duty alternative treatments for the immune system and infections in general. Then I drank alcohol two nights in a row, and this shingles thing started.

I don't remember it being very painful. I think it developed for about a week, maybe more, before it became an open sore, so at that point I went to my GP doctor, having no clue what it was.

He told me it was shingles, but for some reason he didn't give me any treatment, can't remember why. We just let it run it's course.

I think since it wasn't painful, that's one reason why he didn't treat it? Or maybe by the time I got to him, it was already healing?

But anyways, it got better on it's own without me doing anything. From what I read about shingles, it seems like I was lucky and a lot of people have a much worse experience.

The only thing I remember is that it looked really nasty! But mine slowly healed on its own.

So yes, it seems like Lymies can get this sort of thing, especially when the body is stressed. Good luck!

PS--how long have you had this so far? For me, the whole process from beginning to completely healed was probably about 3 weeks or more.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coconut oil is antiviral.

If you have some on hand, try a little on one spot and see if it helps.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honestly, I don't know if I would put anything in the sore that wasn't sterilized, for fear it would cause more infection, more oozing, more wetness, etc.

Mine healed on its own, but I rarely touched it, which I think helped. I think logically it makes sense to let the area breathe.

If you are gonna do coconut, I would take it orally. I am not a nurse like Carol though!

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDW005
Member # 22706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDW005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Randibear... My mother had shingles in her right arm; from fingers to her shoulder. She said it was very painful for six weeks.

To this day it left nerve damage in the right arm. Anyway she said the only thing that helped releive the pain was Lyrica. I don't know if you are chemical sensitive, but may be worth a try.

She did not use any topicals. She let it dry out on it's time.

--------------------
God's promises mean you always have something wonderful to look forward to.

Posts: 2150 | From Georgia | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

i have an area about the size of your palm on my lower back close to the spine.

now i also have an area on the inside of my left thigh which really hurts.

the skin on top of my left leg from hip to knee is really sore.

i'm hoping we caught it early. apparently it is nothing to mess with tho.

but yeah, i am in pain big time....

i think i'll not put anything on it as he said not to mess with it, not pick it, or anything.

he said "it's going to be a rough ride."

yuck.....

you know lately, my life just sucks...

--------------------

kidsgotlyme
Member # 23691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsgotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so sorry you have something else to contend with. I wish I could just give you a big 'ol hug!!

--------------------
symptoms since 1993 that I can remember. 9/2018 diagnosed with Borellia, Babesia Duncani, and Bartonella Hensalae thru DNA Connections.

Posts: 1470 | From Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YUCK!! I'm so sorry to hear this! Shingles can be VERY painful.

How many days did it take for you to get to the doctor?? I took my mom the same day we found it (on her face!) and the dr gave her a shot and the anti-virals. It went away in about a week.

The bad news?? The shots are cortisone/steroids! So maybe it's just as well you didn't get the shot!

I would never wait to be treated for shingles. I have a friend who lost his eye to it. They literally had to remove the eye.

And unfortunately, I would think all of us are at higher risk of getting it. UGH!! Because I for one, do NOT want the vaccine!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2roads     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[group hug] [group hug] [group hug]
Posts: 2214 | From West Chester, PA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Parisa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Randi,

My husband had shingles a couple of years ago around the holidays. I was afraid it was a staph infection and I spread Manuka honey with active factor on it for the day or so before we could get in to see a doctor. It turned out to be shingles and he had had the symtpoms long enough that they didn't think the antiviral would be effective.

The Manuka honey it turns out has antiviral properties and his symptoms resolved quickly without any lasting nerve issues.

Posts: 984 | From San Diego | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Randibear so glad you went. If you try the coconut oil on a spot or two, please let us know what

happens. I have used it on herpes sore and it worked great. Get well soon.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

last night was bad. my left leg hurt so i couldn't lay on the sheet and it burned!

i finally got up at 4:30 and took 1/2 of a vicodin and it seems to have quieted it down.

so far i only have the palm size rash on my spine and that's all.

but man, the pain....

unfortunately i delayed going -- july 4th weekend so i had the rash probably 3-4 days before i got in, but he still seems to think i'll be ok.

i'm worried tho.

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, like I said.. maybe it was good that you avoided the steroid shot.

I hope the pain goes away ASAP!!

-

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emla999/Lyme
Member # 12606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emla999/Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For what it's worth, I have heard that HEEL sales a nasal spray product called Euphorbium and when applied directly to the skin it is an effective treatment for shingles.

http://www.vitacost.com/Heel-Euphorbium-Sinus-Relief-Nasal-Spray-Homeopathic-Medication?csrc=GPF-787647101863

http://fight4yourhealth.com/answers/shingles-and-related-responses

Posts: 1223 | From U.S.A | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MommaK
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MommaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter developed shingles when she was 19. When we went to the Dr he said she's already on everything I would prescribe for shingles! I think he was talking about valcyte and lyrica. Sometimes she had to resort to narcotic pain meds.
I had wondered about taking the shot to prevent future outbreaks, but I see someone here posted that it won't do any good now.
Hear that some Drs treat lyme with IVIG. Wonder it that would help the body to beat these awful dormant viruses into submission!

Posts: 242 | From Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Emla,

thanks so much for those links. I have been wanting to learn more and build a prevention / treatment kit just in case I ever need it. There's another link within that first post and that has even more information.

I see that Rife is mentioned.

Randi,

Do you have access to a rife? This might just be the time to go ahead and get one to help address this.
-

randibear
Member # 11290

no i don't. and i don't know anyone around me that has one.

i'm just worried about catching it in time. i didn't realize what it was and i have had the rash about 4-5 days before i went to the doctor.

here's hoping it will be ok.

we have a friend who did not get treated at all and she has horrible problems, permanent nerve damage, vision and balance problems. she's 100 percent disabled and her life is hell. she's on a ton of meds.

it's the pain right now that's getting me.

--------------------

Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Please don't take this the wrong way, just trying to help the situation....but try to NOT envision the worst case scenario, try to imagine it healing and getting better with the help of the meds, and you moving on with your life.

I think that the mind can work for us or against us. It is powerful and it can effect your immune system. Just don't have too much negative imagery going on or you may not heal as quickly.

I'm not saying this will make it all better, and not saying if it's bad it's your fault....I'm saying don't spend your time picturing the worst case!!!!!

randibear
Member # 11290

thanks. that's why i'm a classic type a.

mom always said i would worry if the sun was going to come up tomorrow!!!

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement