LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Need Help with Test Results

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need Help with Test Results
Imhis4life
Member # 26581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Imhis4life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our son has been tested for Babesia Ducani through Quest. His first result was 1:4096. His latest test is 1:256. Still shows Babesia but definitely better. This makes sense to me since he has been taking Lariam, Plaquenil and Biaxin to kill the Babesia.

Here's the thing...a blood sample was sent to the CDC (long story as to why they have it) and their test was negative. How can this be????? They are going to do a PCR test but this does not make any sense to me. If Quest can find it twice, why can't they find it once? Did they find it and aren't reporting it?

I'm so frustrated because his blood was drawn 6/18 and not tested until at least 7/12 because their lab moved.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Posts: 66 | From Northern Virginia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nenet
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 13174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not very well-read on Babesia testing, but judging by other tick-borne testing standards, your last statement about lag in testing the sample could be very telling.

In the case of Lyme antibody testing (ELISA, WB), the way the blood sample is handled, and the length of time before testing the sample, has a huge impact on the testing results later.

If they were looking for Babesia antibodies, the fact that they waited so long to test the sample could be the reason it came back negative. Someone with more knowledge of Babesia antibody testing will have to speak to that.

The PCR might prove more useful, since there might still be viable fragments of Babesia, but with CDC's overall track record for carefulness and attention to detail, I wouldn't bank on it.

--------------------
Dr. C's Western Blot Explanation

Lymenet Success Stories

ILADS Treatment Guidelines

Medical & Scientific Literature on Lyme

"Long-Term Antibiotic Therapy Improves Persistent Symptoms Associated with Lyme Disease"

Posts: 1176 | From KY | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nenet
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 13174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a Babesia testing explanation from IgeneX:

http://igenex.com/Website/babesiosis.php

and another explanation of Babesia antibody testing (only), from CDC:

http://www.dpd.cdc.gov/dpdx/html/frames/a-f/babesiosis/body_Babesiosis_serol1.htm

--------------------
Dr. C's Western Blot Explanation

Lymenet Success Stories

ILADS Treatment Guidelines

Medical & Scientific Literature on Lyme

"Long-Term Antibiotic Therapy Improves Persistent Symptoms Associated with Lyme Disease"

Posts: 1176 | From KY | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Imhis4life
Member # 26581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Imhis4life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nenet..thanks for responding.

I do hope others will weigh in on this too. I'm interested to hear from more folks who have experienced something similar.

Posts: 66 | From Northern Virginia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember these Quest tests are all IgG, not IgM. The CDC probably ran the IgM test not available to the public. Igenex has an IgM portion too, but expense.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Imhis4life
Member # 26581

Before we started our son on the meds., I specifically asked our LLMD if we needed a confirmatory test for Babesia. I was looking at the Quest lab result and amazed at how high that number was.

She said there was no doubt in her mind that he had an active infection based on his symptoms and titer results. I remember when his first Lyme test through Quest was negative and she was 100% convinced he had Lyme. She was right. Igenex was positive and the VA Health Dept. test was positive too (both ELISA and Western Blot).

The CDC is supposed to run more tests but my confidence in them reporting the truth is pretty low. They believe that this particular strain of Babesia is not on this coast. What???

In any event, it is exhausting battling all the Lyme stuff and then having to battle this too. Ugh..

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement