LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Igenex testing tomorrow

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Igenex testing tomorrow
rmsfnc
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27539

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmsfnc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw LLMD last Friday, doubled my doxy dose to 200mg twice a day. Original Labcorp test neg for Lyme, Babesia and + for RMSF only IGM. Doc says symptoms more like Lyme brain fogg, cognitive word finding issues, head and neck soreness, etc. Is it OK to be on ABX when having blood drawn for Igenex? My tick bite was 5/3/10 with first symptoms on 6/18/10, no rash or fever. Started doxy 200mg/day on 7/28/20 and continued until dose was doubled last Friday. What is the likelihood of full recovery since it is still pretty acute? It's hard to see some of these neurological symptoms just disappearing.
Posts: 239 | From NC | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nenet
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 13174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you call IGeneX they will tell you they recommend being off of antibiotics for about 14 days (10-14 I think is the standard) before drawing blood for your test.

Otherwise it could interfere with the results and cause false negatives/fewer bands.

You really shouldn't have to be retesting anyway, as the CDC says Lyme is a clinical diagnosis. That means that testing is NOT NEEDED, and is not to be used to rule out Lyme infection if it is negative.

The CDC acknowledges that Lyme tests are very poor, and lack sensitivity, among other problems. The problem with testing comes down to a large percentage of false negative results.

John Hopkins recently did a study that found Lyme testing misses up to 75% of positive Lyme cases.

If your LLMD is depending on you getting a positive Lyme test to treat then you need to find a new LLMD that is ILADS-based.

Personally, in my non-medical opinion, I would stay on your antibiotics, forget the Lyme test, get a clinical evaluation for possible co-infections, and look for possibly stronger treatment for Lyme, as you already have neurological symptoms, you need something that will get to the Brain and the rest of the CNS.

Yes, neuro symptoms can go away with treatment, but you need proper treatment.

Also, are you on good probiotics yet?

--------------------
Dr. C's Western Blot Explanation

Lymenet Success Stories

ILADS Treatment Guidelines

Medical & Scientific Literature on Lyme

"Long-Term Antibiotic Therapy Improves Persistent Symptoms Associated with Lyme Disease"

Posts: 1176 | From KY | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmsfnc
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27539

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmsfnc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw Dr. F in NC, recommended by people on this board. She is using clinical symptoms and already doubled the dose of doxy I was taking. I think she is looking for co-infections b/c she said her treatment regimen and order depends on what I test positive for. I showed her the probiotics I was taking and she said they were fine. I have been taking these since the beginning of the Doxy and i have been fine with it. She felt since it has only been a few months of symptoms and just over 3 months from the bite I should make a full recovery. Fingers crossed and positive thoughts.

** edited to remove that the doctor was in the top doctors recommended by the board. We do not have official lists or rankings. **

[ 08-17-2010, 09:51 AM: Message edited by: sixgoofykids ]

Posts: 239 | From NC | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Imhis4life
Member # 26581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Imhis4life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
rmsfnc...I believe my sister is seeing this same doctor and Dr. F has been the only one to give her any hope. I'd say you are in good hands based on our personal experience.

Also, my sister was off of antibiotics for only 3 days and was very positive on her Igenex test. She called Igenex directly and they told her via phone that she did not have to be off antibiotics.

My son tested positive through the VA Health Department while taking antibiotics.

Everyone responds differently but this was our personal experience. Sounds like you are on the road to recovery!

Posts: 66 | From Northern Virginia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, you'll most likely make a full recovery.. but it could still take longer than you might expect.

I would prefer to be OFF abx when being tested. I would want every possible chance for bands to show up.

www.igenex.com

call and ask

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96217 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement