LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Babesia herx? What is going on with me?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Babesia herx? What is going on with me?
daniel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22201

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey folks,

i need your help.. plz......

2 weeks ago i started my new babesia protocol (before it i only was on bactrim and artemisin).. first i took some malarone to test if im allergic to atovaquone.. i wasnt so i bought a bottle of the yellow paint.
im takin azi and arte with the mepron (1500mg/day)
.. since tuesday im depressed and very fatigued... my brain fog is worse too... but today was such a WORSE day.. i hadn't such a bad day long time:

- i feel totaly out of power
- my brain is a wreck.. i can HARDLY HARDLY think.. it wasnt that bad a long time
- depressed
- my muscles hurting.. my bones hurting..
- headaches
- difficulties to breath normal..
- no appetite at all
- stomach burning sometimes
- stinky sweating (through day)

im on day 9 of mepron+azi+arte

could this be a babesia herx?? the first week was totally ok when i took the mepron or malarone.. i felt not SUPER but it was ok... when will it be over?? its HELL on earth.... i had the same in week 2-3 when i took some clindamycine and quinine.. i felt very bad.. so i made a break.. i dont want the bugs to win against me.. so i dont want to make a break with the mepron... i will win this battle but its so tough..

[Frown]

Posts: 371 | From velocity of light | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YES!!!! Read this!!

Mepron Blues
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/89042?

Do be careful not to overdo it!!!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GNBRETT
Member # 17241

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GNBRETT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yea that's common. I took Mepron/Zith myself for 4 months and am 100% healed. That was two years ago.

Was also on PICC line for 6 months.

It will get better. In fact, most rid all their Basesia symptoms within 3 months. Some dont but MOST do.

It's a parasite that affects 1% of ur blood. It can and most often is erradicated.

Sux at first and makes u wanna crawl under a rock and die but that is common and will get better.

Make sure ur taken a quality probiotic. If not ur stomach will hurt and u wont beable to eat for chit.

GL

Posts: 59 | From CONNECTICUT | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Babesia herxes are tough!! Sounds like a herx to me. Hang in there!!

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fordace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14874

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fordace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Posts: 208 | From Hudson Valley, New York | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22201

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i forgot to say... im taking probiotics twice daily.. (very good probiotics.. cost 100 euro a months.. )
i had diarhea 2 times since i started the mepron.. but only 1-2 days.. after 1-2 days it was gone.. maybe a flu or something i dont know..

big thanks 4 your responses.. i will hang in there and fight against this nasty bug..

Posts: 371 | From velocity of light | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maradona
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maradona     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hang in there it is babesia i hade same thing.First week is tough then you will feel beter.
Are you taking azithro 1500 ore artemisinin ore both of them 1500mg that looks to me high dose.

Posts: 482 | From Nebraska | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fordace... are you OK?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22201

im taking 750mg-1000mg azi + 2x 500mg arte + 2x 750mg mepron daily... im pulsing the azi 4 days on, 3 days off, when i have ma 3 day break of azi im taking arte 4 days (so 1 day overlap with azi and arte).. goin to my doc tomorrow and get a check up
marypart
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27012

Icon 1 posted      Profile for marypart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It will get better. In fact, most rid all their Basesia symptoms within 3 months. Some dont but MOST do.

Doesn't it depend on the kind of Babesia? My son has Babesia Duncani (also called WA1) and I keep hearing that it is the worst kind.

Has anybody gotten well from it? He's on Lariam.

--------------------
Son, 26, Dx Lyme 4/10, Babs 8/10
Had serious arthritis, all gone.
Currently on Valtrex
Daughter, 26,bullseye 7/11
arthritis in knees, cured and off all meds. .
Self:Lyme, bart, sxs gone, no longer treating.

Posts: 496 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Consuelachacha
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Consuelachacha   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hang in there Daniel!! [group hug]

--------------------
Sick and Tired of Being Sick and Tired!!

Posts: 153 | From St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daniel, regarding your diarrhea, my lyme doctor gives a hand-out to all his patients regarding the various lyme meds.

Here is part of what it says about Mepron:

"It is ALWAYS taken with a fatty meal (e.g. nuts, cheese, butter, etc.) because it will not be properly absorbed unless taken with a fatty meal. (Diarrhea after Mepron is an indication that not enough fat was ingested.)"

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maradona
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maradona     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the dose of Azith.is high unless you are more than 150kg.
Posts: 482 | From Nebraska | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zil
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12048

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would just like to ask the group with this kind of a herx would you back off that dose of meds for a while or even stop the mepron? That would be what I would want to do but don't know if it would be a big step backward.
Posts: 383 | From Ar | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annelet
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13503

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Annelet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daniel said at the beginning of this thread that his muscles and bones hurt.

Is bone pain a common part of Babesia herx?

I am on Mepron and Azithromycin. I have new pain in my lower legs and top of my feet....sort of above and below my ankles. Plus all day headache, feeling as if I am overheated all the time.

I was beginning to wonder if the bone pain was Bart, but it could be the babesia herx, could it?

Posts: 250 | From canada | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22201

it could be babesia i think, like when u have a flu.

im pulsing the azi thats why im taking 750-1000mg...

@zil 6 weeks ago i took clinda and quinine.. i had a major herx in week 3... made a 2 day break.. after that breat.. the clinda and qunine wasnt that effective like it was on the beginning before the break.. so i wouldnt back off anymore when u herx.. do some bloodwork .. if all things are fine.. keep going on.

@tf yeah i know the thing with the fat.. i always take the mepron with 20-30 grams of fat.. usually good oil (cold pressed)

nefferdun
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Annelet, that is the type of pain I have with bart.

Hope this works for you daniel.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mmcmann
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mmcmann     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had excruciating nerve pain with Babs herx. I seriosuly never felt anything like it.

I ended up having to take vicodin..it was the only thing that dulled some of the pain [Frown]
It lasted four days.

My LLMD had me stop Mepron. I haven't been back on yet, but because I switched docs.

Hang in there and good luck.

Posts: 104 | From No. VA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jalama
Member # 14600

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jalama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just started Mepron a week ago (I was on Malarone 2x per day for two months prior with not improvement). I think I may be experiencing the first thing that I recognize as a herx which means that I actually may have Babesia after all:

--I have cried every day since starting Mepron
--I feel achey like I have the flu
--I feel extra exhausted
--I feel extra depressed
--I feel like I want to crawl out of my skin
--My arms feel kind of hot and

I notice that I smell my sweat but I've never noticed excessive night sweats. I've questioned whether I have Babesia because I haven't had pain or chills (until today, I feel a little cold). I haven't had the usual symptoms. No shooting pains. I have had nightmares and vivid dreams.

Does this sound like a Babesia herx?

Thank you!

Aloha,

M

Posts: 87 | From NorCal | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jalama
Member # 14600

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jalama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Question: has anyone treated with Malarone and with little results either in improvements or Herxes and then switched to Mepron and noticed a Herx (for me fatigue, depression, crying.) I'm still not sure if I have Babesia but I'm thinking that maybe this response to Mepron is a good thing? Is Mepron more powerful than Malarone? Only on 1 tsp twice per day.

I also never had headaches which I understand is common with Babesia.

Thank you!!!

Aloha,

M

Posts: 87 | From NorCal | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22201

hey jamala,

i had/have the same feeling which u prescribed.. crying.. out of power.. flu.. etc.. i think thats a part of a herx... i am too an 2x 750mg mepron daily.. i think its enough because the halflife of this med is 70 hours!! so if u take 1500mg of mepron today.. u will still have 750mg in your system in 3 days.

greetz

Fordace
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14874

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fordace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:
Fordace... are you OK?

wow, I have no recollection of that post, none whatsoever....thanks for asking....
Posts: 208 | From Hudson Valley, New York | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beths
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 18864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beths     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Annelet-My bones and muscles hurt with babesia herx.
Posts: 1276 | From maryland | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement