LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Afton Hassett- We are nuts- IOM presenter

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Afton Hassett- We are nuts- IOM presenter
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How can a bacterial infection be so distorted by these toads?

And this toad will be presenting his theory - no such thing as chronic Lyme, we are all nuts- at the IOM conference... as SCIENCE. Give me a break!

A couple of his quotes...

"The prominence of psychological factors in CLD suggests a place for a multidisciplinary treatment effort that centers on a cognitive- behavioral therapy type of approach, targeting mood, coping, and functioning. "

..."psychological factors likely exacerbate the persistent diffuse symptoms or ``Chronic Multisymptom Illness (CMI) incorrectly ascribed to an ongoing chronic infection with B. burgdorferi.''

```````````````````````````````````````````````````

LYMEPOLICYWONK: Spotlight on an IOM Speaker: Does the IOM Know the Difference Between Dogma and Science? Rumor Hassett They Don't!

The IOM has slotted Afton Hassett to speak about ``Potential Bio-Marker Applications for Lyme Disease: Aligning Multiple Symptoms with Biological Measures''.

You might think he was a microbiologist or, or, or ? Well, it turns out that he is a Psy.D. What is a Psy.D.? It is a newish graduate degree in psychology.

It does not focus on research or statistics, it focuses on the ``soft'' side of psychology, generally therapy (which is not a bad thing, but why should it weigh in on biology?)

What does a therapist have to say about biomarkers specifically and why was he chosen over say, someone who actually knows about biomarkers, like Dr. Ben Luft?

I shudder to think that this is about the psycholigization of an illness--namely turning an illness caused by a bacteria into a psychiatric illness, as in ``don't worry, it's all in your head''.

Afton Hassett, Psy.D., hails from the Chronic Pain & Fatigue Research Center, Department of Anesthesiology at the University of Michigan Medical School.

His view in a nutshell? Is that patients are nuts.

How refreshing.

He publishes with Dr. Lenny Sigal, a highly vocal anti-chronic Lyme light seeker.

How reassuring.

Some of his quotes follow...

Full story

http://www.lymedisease.org/news/lymepolicywonk/552.html

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is the date of this infamous conference?

It is sounding more and more like a protest is in order!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blinkie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blinkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree Bea!
Posts: 1104 | From N.California | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The IOM is all set to rubberstamp IDSA again. It was a put up job by the usual jerks.
Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is hilarious. This is from his actual published paper at the "Acknowledgements" section on the bottom.

ACKNOWLEDGMENTS

"We thank our patients for their willingness to help fellowpatients with CLD. We are also grateful to our colleagues,especially Dr. Gary Wormser, who took the time to review our manuscript and provide such helpful feedback."

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love how he also takes Dr. Fallon's studies out of context. He used them to help "support" his paper, yet those studies imply ongoing infection are responsible for the neuropsychiatric issues, while Hassett asserts the opposite.

"38. Fallon BA, Nields JA. Lyme disease: a neuropsychiatric illness. Am J Psychiatry 1994;151:1571-83.

39. Fallon BA, Nields JA, Parsons B, Liebowitz MR, Klein DF. Psychiatric manifestations of Lyme borreliosis. J Clin Psychiatry
1993;54:263-8."

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onbam
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So what do we do about it? We've really been getting the screws put to us the past few months. Wasn't there some discussion this spring about a protest in DC this fall or something?

It's an act of gross irresponsibility of Fallon's part to allow them to use his studies this way. He needs to speak out.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, this kind of thing is done all the time by the cheaters, onbam. If you look at the references cited in the IDSA guidelines, you will find some that say the opposite of the guidelines. Pretty brazen, boldfaced liars.
Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Information about the upcoming IOM workshop ... or as I like to call it- the IDSA Ducks Unlimited Convention.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````

The IOM Committee on Lyme Disease and Other Tick-borne Diseases: The State of Science is holding a workshop October 11-12 on the critical needs and gaps in understanding the prevention, amelioration, and resolution of Lyme and other tick-borne diseases.

This open workshop is scheduled from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm on Monday and Tuesday, October 11th and 12th, at the Washington Plaza Hotel located at 10 Thomas Circle, NW in Washington, DC.

Space for this workshop is limited, so please register online . A live webcast of the workshop will also be available for those who are unable to attend.

All interested parties may email questions to the speakers during the workshop at [email protected] and these questions will be incorporated in to the session discussions as time allows.

More information

http://tiny.cc/3g8fs

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And here is the IOM's agenda... and now I know why they call it an "agenda".

http://iom.edu/~/media/Files/Activity%20Files/Disease/TickBorne/AGENDA-09022010.pdf

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

AlanaSuzanne
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlanaSuzanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah yes, Psy.D.

Shame on you tincup! I would have thought you knew that Psy.D. was the abbreviated form of Psychologically Depleted, often known as Psychologically Delirious or more commonly, Psychologically Dumb.

And given that, I assumed that when the author referred to "CLD" (what a cute name for hell) and "suggesting a place for a multidisciplinary treatment effort that centers on a cognitive- behavioral therapy type of approach, targeting mood, coping, and functioning", well heck I thought he was talking about lyme-ignorant doctors! Silly me!

Oh, and about "psychological factors likely exacerbate the persistent diffuse symptoms or ``Chronic Multisymptom Illness (CMI) incorrectly ascribed to an ongoing chronic infection with B. burgdorferi'' again silly me, I thought he was referring to lyme-ignorant physicians' erroneous beliefs.

But then I realized he's talking about patients (aka ignorant hypochondriacs)! So silly question from silly me, how did he determine that symptoms were "incorrectly" ascribed to an ongoing chronic B. burgdorferi infection?

--------------------
You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.'

---Eleanor Roosevelt

Posts: 748 | From somewhere | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm. Interesting: Pam W, of Cure Unknown, will be speaking, along with Dr. D, Dr. B. F, of Columbia (who is rather conservative actually), and someone from Time for Lyme. At least there are those.

I'd be interested to hear some of it. But some of it would send me yelling!

The IDSA is on the war path, very aggressively promoting the idea that we are nuts, no chronic infection, etc., etc. (Not that that's news to you, TC). Horrible. I fear for the fall out for us.

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onbam
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which is why we need to get the word out now more than ever. Everyone on here needs to get the truth out to everyone they know.

All your e-mail contacts, the mailman, the barber, the guy who walks your dog, everyone you work with--just tell them that you know something that could be very beneficial to them "The authorities are lying about Lyme disease.

Then show them the proof. If I, for one, had ever heard those words spoken before my tick bite, I would not have the disease right now.

There are many excellent resources (such as Metallic Blue's packet--awesome work there) with which to do this.

[ 09-16-2010, 12:44 AM: Message edited by: onbam ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are nuts? Hm - I'm a cashew, you're a walnut, he's a pinon nut, she's a peanut, we're pistachios they're almonds. Take that! All part of M-Academia NutHouse (Misleading Academia).
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rivendell
Member # 19922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rivendell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They have tried to do the same thing with CFS saying cognitive therapy and graded exercise are the correct treatments. Sure, these things might help, but we are not crazy. These illnesses are real.

I think they know they are wrong and could face lawsuits for their negligence all these years, plus losing money, patents, prestige, and their ego can't handle being wrong and having it made public.

The arrogance!

Posts: 1358 | From Midwest | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement