LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Seeking a Doctor » alternative care

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: alternative care
MerissaZJL
Member # 27139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MerissaZJL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone used a Chiropractor to relieve joint pain?
Posts: 6 | From Bayville, NJ | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Some chiropractic techniques can be damaging for lyme patients who often have lyme meningitis (neck inflammation) &/or lyme encephalitis (brain swelling).

Never have a neck adjustment that suddenly turns, twist, snaps, etc. No "twist-n-shout" - no "shake-n-bake" - as that can cause lyme in the neck and the brain to become more active.

DC = Doctor of Chiropractic

ONLY an ILADS-educated lyme literate DC should ever touch a lyme patient. And there are a few good ones out there.

And it's best to FIRST consult a LLMD. Chiropractic may not be needed, or a different modality may be suggested, depending upon the overall picture. If there is a technical impingement, then it would help more than if it's generalized pain from lyme.

I had many such chiropractic appointments but not with a LL DC - and the help was minimal, sometimes damaging for months afterward. The neck twists were horrible and set me far, far back. But there are many different styles.

See the UPLEDGER link in the thread below. That is a good gentle style but even that won't work unless lyme is being treated adequately.

Other body work helped me more, especially massage. Massage was fabulous when I could do that weekly.

Some LL DCs are very good and gentle treatments can help but you should FIRST get established with a LLMD and get the infection(s) addressed.

A gluten-free diet also help to lessen pain all over the body.

Ask recommendations from your new LLMD (or that for your child, as I see you have posted for a pediatric LLMD).

You can also use some of the same formulas to find an ILADS-educated LL DC:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/2/13964?

Topic: How to find a LL ND (naturopathic doctor), acupuncturist, etc.

Includes how to find an ILADS-educated LL ND, an Acupuncturist, a doctor of Oriental Medicine (O.M.D.), or a doctor of Ayurvedic Medicine (D.Ay.), certified herbalists or nutritionists, etc.

============================

www.ilads.org

ILADS
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
From a current thread, some explanation regarding why I caution about the sudden neck twists use by SOME chiropractors:

* It's the quick neck twists that can spell disaster. Or any sudden jolts to the spine at all. Or to any joint, really, if nerve damage is present (which it nearly always is with lyme).

* Many with neurolyme have lyme meningitis (inflammation of the vertebrae of the neck and also lyme encephalitis (swelling of the brain). The brain stem is often very compromised with neurolyme.

A quick twist of the neck can cause some very serious damage to the neck and to the brain of someone with neurolyme.

Not all chiropractic styles use the sudden twist of the neck. Upledger is one that does not. Feldenkrais is also a safe method.

I have had many disasters from chiropractor and even a couple NDs who did neck and spine adjustments. The sudden twists have triggered seizures and months of not being able to talk or walk. But I did not connect the dots for the longest time.

I later read from good sources exactly what I now caution about but I do not recall the source. I remember the light bulb going on when I read that, though.

I have also had other DOs or NDs, or LMTs do some fabulous body work that did not entail sudden jerking of very tender and inflamed tissue. Where the back, neck and head are involved, they need to be treated very gently.

* Another reason: spirochetes HATE to be disturbed. And sudden bursts can cause them to burrow even more deeply, expel more toxins from their irritation and then go into the cyst form out of their shock reaction.

* The adrenals also really take a huge hit from sudden twists and turns of the back, neck, head. It can be very shocking.

* Demyelination is another reason why sudden twists can spell damage, even permanent damage.

Demyelination is a frequent result of neuro-lyme. The myelin sheath that covers and insulates the nerves is often compromised. Sudden jolts and twists to the neck, or anywhere on the spine - or any joint - can cause more damage to nerves that are infected and inflamed - and possibly without all the protective coating.

Gentle is good. Sudden shocks are not.

Lyme is just one of several Demyelinating diseases:
------------

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demyelinating_disease

A demyelinating disease is any disease of the nervous system in which the myelin sheath of neurons is damaged. This impairs the conduction of signals in the ...
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FYRECRACKER
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FYRECRACKER   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i go to a chiropractor every other week and my bones crack on their own all the time. just tagging this so i can come back to it later on. good info.

--------------------
www.mylymechronicle.wordpress.com

Posts: 885 | From US | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement