LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Study and Lawsuit on Aspartame as Neurotoxin

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Study and Lawsuit on Aspartame as Neurotoxin
notime2work
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6092

Icon 1 posted      Profile for notime2work     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a pretty interesting article about a study that links aspartame with neurotoxic effects and causing/imitating/exacerbating various diseases. (The emphasis in paragraph 4 was added by me.)

$350 Million dollar suit filed today.

According to the press release issued on this RICO lawsuit: "On or about September 8, 2004 an affidavit was signed describing the initial third world studies and the health hazards of aspartame. These studies conducted in 1983/84 by the J.D. Searle Company were translated to English from Spanish by a translator in 1984. The "double blind" studies showed conclusive evidence that aspartame caused severe health problems and even death to the exposed study group. According to the Affidavit, the doctor directing the studies has been missing since the approval of aspartame in 1984. The affidavit also describes how the affiant was directed by J.D. Searle officials to destroy all records of the studies - including filed notes and/or translations - possessed by the affiant. The affiant describes in detail how the translations were forwarded upon completion to J.D. Searle corporate offices in Illinois."

This isn't the first lawsuit filed alleging that aspartame is hazardous to the health of humans. The National Justice League filed three other lawsuit on April 26, 2004, in three separate California courts. The defendants in those lawsuits number twelve and all produce or use the artificial sweetener aspartame as a sugar substitute in their products. Defendants in those lawsuits include Coca-Cola, PepsiCo, Bayer Corp., the Dannon Company, William Wrigley Jr. Company, Walmart, ConAgra Foods, Wyeth, Inc., The NutraSweet Company, and Altria Corp. (parent company of Kraft Foods and Philip Morris).

This lawsuit charges the defendants engaged in unlawful acts of "knowingly and intentionally using the neurotoxic Aspartame as a sugar substitute in the manufacture of Equal, while knowing that exposure to Aspartame causes among other diseases/symptoms: abdominal pain, arthritis, asthma, brain cancer, breathing difficulties, burning eyes or throat, burning urination, chest pains, chronic cough, chronic fatigue, death, depression, diarrhea, headaches/migraines, hearing loss, heart palpitations, hives (urticaria), hypertension, impotency and sexual problems, memory loss, menstrual problems or changes, nausea or vomiting, slurring of speech, tremors, tinnitus, vertigo and/or vision loss."

The lawsuit also states, "Further, Aspartame disease mimics symptoms or worsens the following diseases: Fibromyalgia, Arthritis, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson's Disease, Lupus, Diabetes and diabetic complications, Epilepsy, Alzheimer's Disease, birth defects, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Lymphoma, Lyme Disease, Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD), Panic Disorder, Depression and other psychological disorders." Further allegations include, "G.D. Searle denied knowledge of/or involvement with the initiation, design or performance of the study. Yet, the false results were submitted to the FDA like the rest of the 150 G.D. Searle studies (on aspartame and other products), bearing a Searle Pathology-Toxicology project number. Both Dr.Waisman and G.D.Searle were responsible for the study design. A number of false statements were made by G.D. Searle, including that reported the animals were unavailable for purchase for autopsy after the termination of the study."

Defendants in this lawsuit continue to maintain that aspartame is safe for consumption. Aspartame is found in more than 5,000 food products and all soft drinks sold in the United States.

2004 - NewsWithViews.com - All Rights Reserved

Posts: 142 | From Flyover Country | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
charlie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25

Icon 12 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
....I must admit that aspartame makes my feet burn much as the neurotoxins from chronic lyme used to.

However my solution is to just not drink the stuff rather than looking for some 'deep pockets' to sue.

Same as I don't ingest MSG because it gives me bloating and a tummy ache....

Charlie

Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for posting this. I've been wanting to find one of the earlier postings on aspartame on this board, but I haven't had time to look for it.

This is perfect. One of the girls at my mom's assisted living told me she used 15 Equal packets the other day in her cereal, orange juice, milk, etc!!!!!!

I've wanted to talk to the director there about this. The elderly should not be ingesting this poison!

I bought my mom some Splenda several weeks ago, but she had run out and was using the Equal again. SO, she now has an ample supply of the yellow packets and the girls are going to give her 4 each morning. [still too much, but...]

I'm going to print this out for the director. Maybe I can save a few more people besides my mom!!

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 95426 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notime2work
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6092

Icon 9 posted      Profile for notime2work     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are some interesting articles about Splenda also. If you go to www.mercola.com, or even just do a Google search for Splenda, you can get some pretty scary info on that too. Evidently the only sweetener that's not in the "sugar" category that is safe to eat is stevia, and some people find it has a bitter aftertaste.

I guess nothing's safe anymore!

Posts: 142 | From Flyover Country | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement