LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter




The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive


The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » secondary insurance

 - UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: secondary insurance
RDT
Junior Member
Member # 7431

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RDT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi again,
My main insurance is with United HealthCare. Since I have been diagnosed, is there any chance about getting secondary insurance to help with what UHC does not cover? If so, who?

Posts: 7 | From BIRMINGHAM, ALABAMA, USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yankee in black
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yankee in black     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I've had good luck with United Health care covering just about all my lyme treatments

Is your doctor out of network?

Do you have out of network benefits?

Because even if the doctor is out of network... what ever your out of network benefit plan is---say 70-30--you would pay the 30% of the bill--the insurance company would cover the other 70%

You may have to pay up front--and submit the bill yourself for re-imbersment--if the doctor decides not to participate with insurance companies( many LLMD's don't take insurance--which can be tough on us)


Posts: 468 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RDT
Junior Member
Member # 7431

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RDT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by yankee in black:
Hi,

I've had good luck with United Health care covering just about all my lyme treatments

Is your doctor out of network?

Do you have out of network benefits?

Because even if the doctor is out of network... what ever your out of network benefit plan is---say 70-30--you would pay the 30% of the bill--the insurance company would cover the other 70%

You may have to pay up front--and submit the bill yourself for re-imbersment--if the doctor decides not to participate with insurance companies( many LLMD's don't take insurance--which can be tough on us)



Posts: 7 | From BIRMINGHAM, ALABAMA, USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RDT
Junior Member
Member # 7431

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RDT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
I just called my dr and was told at this point they are in the network but have not been dropped yet. I don't know if that is possibility. I have alot of medical bills left over from all the MRI/CT scans (about $600) plus the bill of about $4,800 with Mayo. As far as my family can tell my IV treatments alone cost $40/day x 30 days = $1200.00 per month. this is after insurance.

Posts: 7 | From BIRMINGHAM, ALABAMA, USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yankee in black
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yankee in black     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi

You may want to have someone who is feeling well call the benefits dept. at the insurance company--and find out why those bills are not covered--if the doctor was still in network at the time the testing, ect, was done.

United paid for my IV ABX--do you know why they are saying they won't pay for yours???

Mayo Clinic Not on United? I'm surprised

[This message has been edited by yankee in black (edited 23 June 2005).]


Posts: 468 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ConnieMc
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConnieMc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably not much of a chance that another insurance company would sell you a policy at a reasonable price anyway with that diagnosis. That is how insurance companies are. On the one hand, they say it isn't serious and won't cover long term treatment. But then on the other hand, if they see the opportunity to put a Lymie on their rolls, they will quickly run the other way.

They know how serious this is, but don't want to admit it. Just try to buy life insurance once you have a diagnosis of Lyme. It's next to impossible, or very expensive.


Posts: 2274 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brainless
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6771

Icon 5 posted      Profile for brainless     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Years ago, my IV co accepted what my ins paid. Could you negotiate with your IV co or another IV co to see if they'll accept what ins pays?

b


Posts: 210 | From lalaland | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
   

Quick Reply
Message:

HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins
   


Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:


Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement

Powered by UBB.classic™ 6.7.3


The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations. If you would like to support the Network and the LymeNet system of Web services, please send your donations to:

The Lyme Disease Network of New Jersey
907 Pebble Creek Court, Pennington, NJ 08534 USA


| Flash Discussion | Support Groups | On-Line Library
Legal Resources | Medical Abstracts | Newsletter | Books
Pictures | Site Search | Links | Help/Questions
About LymeNet | Contact Us

© 1993-2020 The Lyme Disease Network of New Jersey, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Use of the LymeNet Site is subject to Terms and Conditions.