LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Lyme Friendly Hobbies?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lyme Friendly Hobbies?
slcd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5708

Icon 1 posted      Profile for slcd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, I was thinking about how I've dropped some of my old hobbies that I had before being sick, and that I think I've picked up a few here and there since then. Like - I don't enjoy camping quite as much anymore - but I love to shop! (That one's dangerous on the wallet!) I can't really lay in the sun (bad with meds) - but I like to play my piano. I don't go for long drives as much - but I can spend hours downloading music onto my IPOD.

So, I was wondering - What other lyme friendly hobbies have people come up with?

Posts: 415 | From Canton, GA United States | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cootiegirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cootiegirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't found anything that I can do for any length of time, but one thing that I enjoy doing is knitting. I made quite a few scarves at Christmas time. Some of the new fun yarns are almost addictive!!! I keep it very simple - the same stitch both ways!

Recently I became involved in a program thru our church where I knit prayer shawls. These are kind of like a knitted bed jacket that are given to terminally ill or seriously ill patients. The reason it is referred to as a prayer shawl is that while you knit it, you are supposed to pray and infuse your healing thoughts into the shawl....

Kind of helps me to take some of the focus off me and think of someone else and their trials.....

And then I try to exercise my brain....I do crossword puzzles, word games, and keep trying to read. My birthday is coming up and am anxiously awaiting my copy of Harry Potter #6 from my kids- I've read them all!!!!
cootiegirl

Posts: 1728 | From New York State | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jellybelly
Member # 7142

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jellybelly   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have recently taken up stinging beads. Beads of all kinds are really popular now, and there are really neat bead stores too. Glass, rocks, clay.

I live in New Mexico and this stuff is even more popular here.

Posts: 1251 | From california | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lifeline
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lifeline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Piano lessons - I love it!

Reading - I love that, also...just finished "Tuesdays with Morrie"...great, great book.

cootiegirl, I'm thinking about getting Harry Potter. All the kids are glued to them. Must be good!

lifeline

Posts: 983 | From FL | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cootiegirl
Member # 3216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cootiegirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Harry Potter series is great.I don't buy into the whole concern that it encourages black magic or evil. It's a story about good vs. evil. Gee, where have we heard that theme in literature before???I think it's actually quite clever.

My boys have had no interest in reading it, but my daughter has and started reading it. She's only 8 and is already on book 2 - she's my advanced reader (read Moby Dick and Shakespeare at 6!!!)

I think younger kids enjoy the story as well because parents can read it to them, so it can be a nice family reading activity.
cootiegirl

Posts: 1728 | From New York State | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slcd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5708

Icon 1 posted      Profile for slcd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should DEFINITELY pick up the Harry Potter books! I got book six the day it came out and finished it that night!

It's great for me, because even on my really foggy days I can read those because it's a pretty easy read.

And I agree with cootiegirl . . . I just don't believe that it's evil!

Posts: 415 | From Canton, GA United States | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ConnieMc
Member # 191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConnieMc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
basketmaking. I make baskets for Christmas presents, and every one always loves them. It's not hard if you have an easy pattern to follow.
Posts: 2274 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme_suz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
deerhunting
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lifeline
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lifeline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm convinced on the Harry Potter books. Thanks to you both, cottiegirl and slcd.

Just in time, because tomorrow starting at 6 PM here, they are having their yearly HUGE used book sale and we always walk out with a couple tote bags full of great books.

I'm sure Harry Potter will be in that bunch, at least some of the older first ones.

Thanks,

lifeline

Posts: 983 | From FL | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 14 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My latest lyme-friendly hobby is bookcrossing. I love the concept of releasing books to the wild.

I register my old books (and those of my friends and neighbors), tag them with an ID# and then leave them in public places for people to find. It's quite a rush leaving presents for strangers.

It can be done when you feel like it and costs next to nothing. Very fun and it makes you feel really good when one of your babies writes home. (The website sends an email if there's been a journal entry on one of your books.)

Oh yeah, you can also hunt other people's books. A bit trickier to do but neat all the same. I have alerts coming to my email from my local area.

If it sounds interesting check out: www.bookcrossing.com

I still think this is way cool after 8 months and numerous wild releases.

[This message has been edited by trueblue (edited 28 July 2005).]

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeloco
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Duck Hunting!

on a serious note, I like to garden, and also knit scarves.
lymeloco

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cootiegirl
Member # 3216

The bookcrossing idea is wonderful. Think I'm going to do that. I love the idea of finding books and sending them on!
cootiegirl

Linda LD
Member # 6663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linda LD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At this time last year my doc told me to "Go home and rest" that I was going to blow my adrinal glands out.

I am such a yard hound and couldn't imagaine not being able to putter in my yard--went a little stir crazy doing nothing (can you say ADD)?

Anyway, I got a fresh water fish aquarium. It is rind of like an underwater garden. My kids liked it so much that now we all have one in our bedrooms. They are soooo cool.

We all really enjoy them and they are RELAXING!

L

Posts: 1171 | From Knoxville, TN US | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
I Have Lyme Etc
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I Have Lyme Etc   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tuesdays With Morrie was great! I didn't read the book but I did watch the TV movie.. Jack Lemmon was just as always fabulous..I bet the book was even better!

quote:
Originally posted by lifeline:
Piano lessons - I love it!

Reading - I love that, also...just finished "Tuesdays with Morrie"...great, great book.

cootiegirl, I'm thinking about getting Harry Potter. All the kids are glued to them. Must be good!

lifeline

------------------
"It is not genius, nor glory, nor love that reflects the greatness of the
human soul.....it is kindness..."

Posts: 209 | From South Carolina by the beach | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
I Have Lyme Etc
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I Have Lyme Etc   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I havent been able to do much physical activity in years so a few yrs ago I took u cross stitching, scrapbooking, and making graphics on my computer for people..keeps my brain active and I could cross stitch for hours. I also became an avid black and white classic movie fan and I love love love to shop. I shop on the internet and I have also over the last 5 yrs become an official shop at home from tv addict. I do em all. QVC, ShopatHome, HSN and Americas store.. I shopped so much with QVC last year they sent me a christams card....LOL

------------------
"It is not genius, nor glory, nor love that reflects the greatness of the
human soul.....it is kindness..."

Posts: 209 | From South Carolina by the beach | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymester
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lyme_suz...I loved yours!

I did a lot of cross stitching but some days were harder than others when my forearms and hands would get cramped.

I love reading and reading with my daughter. I find myself spending a lot more outdoor time on pavement and away from grass (biking).

Posts: 519 | From CT | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slcd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5708

That bookcrossing sounds awesome! I think I'm going to clean out some of my books this weekend!
ivebinlymed2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ivebinlymed2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trueblue, I can think of a few good books I could release in some doctor's offices, Coping with Lyme, Everything You Need to Know About Lyme, etc. for the doctors to read themselves!

Seriously, bookcrossing is very interesting. I passed that along to several other people. Thanks.

Posts: 270 | From Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Counted cross-stitch was my first lyme hobby. I stopped about a year ago and just picked it up again. (Small ones are the perfect thing to do while waiting in doctor's offices.) I'm having an increasingly hard time finding people to give them to anymore. I think I flooded the market.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yay, more bookcrossers. (Glad everyone didn't think I was nuts. Oh, cause you already knew that.)

It's funny, too. Sometimes I see someone pick up a book I, sneakily, left and their rection as the realize what it is. (I have a post-it on the front and labels inside explaining.) I really do get a charge out of this.

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meg
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bookcrossing sounded cool, so I signed up!

Used to quilt, do stained glass work, mosaic....lately my passion is metalsmithing, (soldering, fabrication of jewelry).
All of this is hard on my hands tho, so hope I can keep it up.

[This message has been edited by meg (edited 29 July 2005).]

Posts: 10010 | From somewhERE OVER THE Rainbow | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoa, True! That is such a COOL idea! I read a LOT. I'm going to sign up ASAP. Thanks for posting that.

I am an outdoors girl. Other than splitting headaches and exhaustion, the rest of me is fine for the most part so I can do what I love most: FLYFISHING. My other favorite hobby: photographing insects of all kinds, and of course, the fish.

Some of my photographs have been published in books, even, which is pretty thrilling, but it's mainly for the fascination of looking at small things very closely.

Here are my online albums:
http://www.pbase.com/michellemahood/galleries

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been trying to find something pleasant I can do since I came down with this in Oct. 2001.

I do have times when I can read. But, it is about 3 pages only in the evening. Then I will go weeks when I can't do that again.

I have planted some cactus when I am able. That has been fun and a few plants in the garden bed out front.

All other plants have died due to the heat in the summer.

I have thought about giving Donna Dewberry's paints a try but haven't had the funds to purchase a kit yet.

I did purchase some pillow cases and the thread to do some work on them at the local thrift shop but haven't been able to follow through on giving it a try either.

The connection between the brain and the limbs is usually a problem.

I guess my hobby now is taking Buster out to toilet and exercise in the morning and the evening. It has given me something that I can do successfully most of the time within the limits I have.

I know there must be something I can do besides reclining and watching TV but I have not found it yet.

I do travel well in a vehicle most of the time as a passenger. But, do not get the opportunity to do this much.

I will be watching this site for ideas of something I might be able to do.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First, I love the idea of bookcrossing and will definitely pursue that!
I love 33mm photography and appreciate some of this downtime to shoot more pictures. For me, kids make the best pictures, and their parents love getting them!
I like reading when I have the energy, and I've been able to resurrect the lost art of letter-writing to friends.
I really miss being out of doors -- biking and hiking. I also miss swimming. At this point, I don't have the energy to swim, and well, it's going to take awhile before I go back into the woods.

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
burnbitter
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7088

Icon 1 posted      Profile for burnbitter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been taking pictures with my camera phone, as it's small and I carry it around all the time. Whereas my normal cameras are big and heavy and I never end up carrying them.
The book crossing is an interesting idea.

Posts: 207 | From san francisco, ca | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True,
Last night, I signed up for bookcrossing; what a wonderful idea that is!

Also, thanks, I Have, for mentioning scrapbooking. I had started a new book around the time my symptoms worsened, but then put it aside. I think I'm going to pul it back out.

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janet thomas
Member # 7122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janet thomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have become an avid surfer.
Posts: 2001 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement