My Dr. suspects chronic Lyme based on ongoing symptoms and is suggesting 6 wks IV antibiotics. I in turn decided to make an appt with a specialist. However the wait is over 3 months so I made the appt with the PA which is still 7w away.
Since the cost of consultation is over $500 I'm wondering if seeing the PA will yeild the same results? I'm so confused- I've been reading here for days lots of wonderful information. I ordered a kit from IGenex today. I don't want to fool around with the wrong ABX. However considering the cost and wait to see the PA and the brain fog ??? I'm wondering if I could get answers sooner.
It is Dr. Bu and the cost is over $500 $750 for the 1st visit whether you see the dr or the pa. Since I cannot wait 3 1/2 mos I was just wondering if anyone has gone this route and seen the PA for initial consult. Since it is a big chunk of change I'm leary. At the same time feel lucky that I was able to get an appt at all.
Thank you LymeToo for all the valuable info you have provided. I have alot to learn.
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7076
You are going to the best doctor's office from the very beginning. You will be in good hands. So yes, see the PA first to get in.
Posts: 1240 | From Centreville,VA | Registered: Mar 2005
| IP: Logged |
When I set up the appt. they explained that whoever you start with it's 2 visits then rotate. Therefore I will see the PA for 2 visits then the Dr. I would rather see the Dr. for 2 visits then the PA but the wait...
My last Lyme test was October - always negative which is why I was so suprised HE suggested IV rocepherin. For a co-pay of $10 he sat with me for an hour.
He said he has never seen as much Lyme and specifically Babesiosis as he has this summer. 2 patients with B needed total transfusions. He also has patients he tells me that have regained their energy, lost the brain fog after 6 wks IV ROC. I however need to take in alot of information before making a decision I have been seeing this Dr. for several years and was always hesitant to press the issue. Meanwhile he has been treating several patients with MS diagnois for Lyme with success. Never knew he was on this track. So I have ordered the Igenex kit and will ask for those tests next. I live in Quogue many tick bites over the years. No BE rash however.
Many stories out here. All friends with early Lyme were successfully treated. Now I'm wondering about the ones with MS. Lupus and Sclerderma that all grew up from Westhampton to Montauk.
This is a very scary persistant multiplying little devil. Hope to see a good vaccine one day.