LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Totally OT-Anyone have parakeets?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Totally OT-Anyone have parakeets?
cutie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8468

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cutie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am considering getting one, or possibly 2. I would LOVE a pet.

I've been reading about them and I want to gather as much info about them as possible before I jump into anything.

Are they hard to take care of? How loud are they? Are they loving?

Thanks!
Cutie

--------------------
Cutie

Posts: 125 | From Atlanta | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymemomtooo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5396

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymemomtooo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make sure you get a young one..Check the yellow pages to see if there is an exotic bird source as opposed to a mall pet store..

Then you have a chance for a young one that may have even been hand fed.

My mom has always had one until recently..She has mostly had very mild tempered ones and all have been able to say a couple or words.

One was a mean son of a gun and would bite but only one in 40 plus years..Good luck..

Two means a much larger cage.

Posts: 2360 | From SE PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlkeen
Member # 1260

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlkeen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My neighbor had some for a while. No problem as far as the kids getting along with them or health issues.

She did however get mice, we couldn't figure out why after 20 years of no mice. When the stove was moved out for a new floor we found mucho shells from bird seed and mucho mouse droppings. Apparently the seed atrated mice, going in the cage at night to get the seed.

Posts: 1572 | From Pa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We call the spirochetes 'parakeets.' That's what I thought you meant!

Just my opinion: no additional wildlife in the house. They carry problems of their own and if you are not up to their care, it could be harmful.

Posts: 1757 | From Somerset County, NJ | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol B
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter, Carolyn had a pet hampster,Merkle. One day we were sitting on the floor of her room when a mouse peaked out from Merkle's wooden house. He had apparently taken up residence,too and appreciated the free room and board.

We also had parakeets, not deliberately, but we just couldn't refuse when a neighbor dropped by with the cage saying her elderly Mother had Alzheimer's and whenever she came home from work she found the bird cage in a differnt location.

Then she came home one day and found them in the washing machine and decided it was time to find another home for them, so...

Only thing I didn't like was the way they flicked birdseed out of the cage for about a two foot radius. Be sure you subscribe to a newspaper to line the cage.

We've also had many guinea pigs. Some day when I have the energy I will tell you about the "Flying Dead Baby Guinea Pigs"

I'm off for a nap, as soon as my neighbor stops mowing his lawn.

Carol

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're well enough to care for an animal, I honestly can't think of anything more healing than a furry or feathered companion.

I had a parakeet for about 10 years. He was given to me by a friend, and I was able to go slowly and gradually train him to come to me and sit on my shoulder or my finger. For the first five years or so, he didn't talk, but then...well, he started speaking in whole sentences.

His companion was a cockateil (separate cages), which is a bird smaller than a parrot but a bit larger than a parakeet. I also trained him to come to me. He never talked much, but he could whistle up a storm -- had a repetoire of about 4 songs.

Whenever the cockateil messed up one of the songs, he'd go: NO, Wait!! Then he'd start the whole song over again and whistle it straight through.

He made me very very happy. They both did.

I find them very little work compared to the joy and companionship they bring. Of course, if you already have a cat, birds are a pretty bad idea...which is why I don't have one now.

One more thing: you asked about noise...the birds I've had didn't tend to be squawky. At night, you just put a cover over their cages, tell them good night, and they go to sleep.

When/if you get an addition, post the picture here so we can see!

Andie

Posts: 2548 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Cutie

I hope you get one because a pet's love can be so healing.

I had a yellow cockateil once -"tweetie" He though I was his mommy and would waddle after me everywhere.

The place I bought him from said best to make sure a head of time that they where hand raised.

This is important because they associate your hands with their mommy. And are much more gentle and affectionate.

You have to make sure to keep their cages out of drafts and not to get chilled. He was no trouble and made me really happy. [Smile]

I saved a feather from his tail and it sits on my desk to this day.

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement