LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Working full time is killing me.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Working full time is killing me.
HEATHERKISS
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6789

Icon 8 posted      Profile for HEATHERKISS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi people!

I've been doing pretty well. Honestly I feel guilty for complaining.

But........... I have been working at a full time job for over 6 weeks. It's a fairly easy job with very polite and nice people.

Someone in the office had a cold and pretty much spred their germs all over the office. I got the cold and am now laid out.

I called out of work and said I have the flu.

New job has no idea that I have Lyme but most people there know about Lyme and how serious it is.

Monmouth county is an epedimic area. Lots of Lymies.

Thankfully a few LLMDs are here in this area.

It's been a long time since I caught some ones cold. Used to be I never catch a cold.

wah wah wah. Hope I don't lose my job for having the "flu".

Heather
 -

Posts: 1974 | From ABERDEEN, NJ 07747 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heather,

I'm so sorry you're not feeling well. That really stinks. Especially with a new job, bummer [Frown] !

I do love the baby pic, though [Big Grin] !

Hope you feel better soon! [kiss]

[group hug]
Ali

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The cold could be a good sign. The reason you may not have been getting colds was that the Lyme compromised your system too much.

Now your system is getting back to normal, which means your immune system responds to a cold with the symptoms of a cold.

I hope you feel better. And I'm sure it will be ok that you are out with the flu.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobweb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay this raises a question for me-if my white blood cells are low-and have been since the beginning of treatment-6 months-

does that mean I am MORE likely to get sick or LESS likely to get sick when in contact with other sick people?
(neutrophils are low ,too whatever they are)

Carol B

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Heather,

First, huge congratualtions on the working thing! That is wonderful news! I am so pleased that you are up for it and doing so much better!

Second, so sorry about the cold. Yes, that pretty much is no fun at all...but happens to the best of us, even when we don't have Lyme and company, so please don't let it stress you out, OK?

Your job should expect a few sick days from everyone...and yes, that includes you too [Smile]

Hang in there and hope you are feeling peachy-keen again real soon.

Melanie

Posts: 7006 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aniek:
The cold could be a good sign. The reason you may not have been getting colds was that the Lyme compromised your system too much.

Now your system is getting back to normal, which means your immune system responds to a cold with the symptoms of a cold.

I agree!! I was thinking the same thing!

Heather...we miss you...so while you're lounging around the house...come here and cause some trouble, OK?? [Big Grin]

-

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 94762 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Member # 1620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i swear i was just thinking about you and thought--that woman got all better and left us all in the dust---how DARE SHE!

[Razz]

but then here you are---poking in to say hi.

sorry about the curcumstances, but you know, when my lyme was in remission I LOVED getting colds, coz I just LOVE to get better. nothing quite beats HEALING! [Big Grin]

sorry you are feeling lowsy, and hope it is a short stint.
yer old mepron buddy,
trails

Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iceskater
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8655

Icon 1 posted      Profile for iceskater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope that you feel better spiritually and physically. Glad that you are able to work full time, that the company is nice. Hang in there!!!!

SmileyCentral.com

Posts: 719 | From Delaware | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HEATHERKISS
Member # 6789

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HEATHERKISS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone. I'm not in remission. I'm still sick. I just have gotten better enuf to work.

I'm still taking zith, cedax, valtex, diflucan and on and on.

Work is zapping the life out of me. When I'm working I'm too tired to do much of anything.

Mainly I just work and do laundry and ironing. That's it.

In the back of my head I wonder. Am I hurting myself? Should I just wait until I'm all healed?

Can't really afford that.

Thanks for missing me. So sweet. Thanks everyone. I'll have to make it a point not to lurk and make a point to post atleast once a day.

You know just to stir things up!!!!!!!!!
 -

--------------------
HEATHER

-

Posts: 1974 | From ABERDEEN, NJ 07747 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeindunkirk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeindunkirk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heather, did you feel guilty about not telling the new job that you have lyme?

I was out sick for about two months this summer. When I came back from STD I was laid off. Imagine that......Anyhow, interviewing for new jobs I feel that I have to tell them I am sick.

I guess I don't want to get fired when I have to take off for a doctors appt or have to leave early to pickup my son from school because of stomach aches or some other physcial lyme symptom.

I feel that if I explain up front and they hire me then they are accepting the situation. Of course, I haven't mentioned how severe lyme is or that I could get worse. I try to put a positive spin on it.

I'm not sure if I should be upfront with it or not.

Posts: 547 | From Maryland | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HEATHERKISS
Member # 6789

Icon 10 posted      Profile for HEATHERKISS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi dunkirk,

Practically everyone knows how bad lyme is in this area where I live.

If I disclosed my Lyme I would not have gotten hired. Bottom line.

I have to take care of myself foremost becuase no one else is going to. So no. I do not feel guilty.

Take care of yourself,

--------------------
HEATHER

-

lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To keep yourself safe for future germ attacks, you might want to invest in an air cleaner for your desk area. I have 2 Ionic Breeze machines right near my desk. (And interestingly enough, when the rest of the office gets sick, the person sitting right near me and myself are the ones who DON'T get it).

I also have a bottle of Thieves oil spray which I keep in my desk. (it's a clove oil mix sold by www.youngliving.com). Kills Everything!! I'll put it on a cotton ball and stick it on the air cleaner, spray doorknobs, the water cooler, the fridge - you name it. The office smells like clove, but tough - you gotta do what you can to stay healthy.

I also use the plain oil for fever sores, mouth thrush, cuts... you name it.

You're wrong about one thing though - most people here know what Lyme is, but most of them don't know how bad it really gets, even when they know people who have it.

Glad you're sticking with the job. Good for you!!

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2257 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement