LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » New and bewildered

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New and bewildered
chanson
Member # 11998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chanson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I posted my first ever topic in a forum yesterday--then found out I posted under the wrong topic and did not write it the correct way--ha-I am trying.

My hubby and I went camping 5 wks ago. On the 5/13 I came down extremely ill. flu like symptoms, chills, fever, nausea, vomiting. I also had a gland that swelled up to the size of a golf ball. My neck was stiff for the first day and then it went down the spine until I could not walk standing straight.

I felt a bump on the back of my head at the base of the skull, but hubby said all he could see was a scratch and a scab. I went to the doc on the 17th feeling really bad and suggested that it could be Lyme Disease. He did not think so.

After a few weeks I started feeling better even though I had headaches, fatigue stiff neck and spine and just do not feel like myself. No energy, sporadic sore throats.

Yesterday I fell asleep in my chair and woke up to this horrible cramping, thick pain from the base of my head down my spine. I felt the same bump. Hubby looked again and there it was. A dead tick embedded into the back of my head. When he tried to pull it out, the head broke off.

Went to the doc again yesterday. He finally looked at the back of my head with a small light and said he did not see the head. I showed him the headless tick but he insisted the head was not there and if it was not to worry about it that it would decompose if it hadn't already. I also showed him the 'spiral' and the large 'burn' looking rashes I have. I gave up with him when I had to tell him 4 times that the head was stuck in my scalp and had no doubt been there for 4 plus weeks.

The doc put me on 100 mg. twice a day (for 7 days) of doxycycline and said it would kill the disease.

Since the tick was dead, will the head of it finally work its way out of the scalp? Has anyone else had this happen to them and what have the results been? Since I am feeling better is this over--it is my understanding that this could just be the beginning of a horrible experience.

I have read parts of the Newbie forum and some of the letters. And I have to be honest--this scares me.

Thank you for any help, advice you can give me.

Posts: 5 | From retired | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The doc put me on 100 mg. twice a day (for 7 days) of doxycycline and said it would kill the disease.
You need to find another dr...urgent care or something and get more meds. You are taking half the dosage needed to KILL this out. Catch it early is the name of the game!

If it were ME, I would take 400mg per day for 3 months minimum.

Since the tick was dead, will the head of it finally work its way out of the scalp?
I THINK so.

Has anyone else had this happen to them and what have the results been?not me Since I am feeling better is this over--it is my understanding that this could just be the beginning of a horrible experience.
Yes, sad to say.

I have read parts of the Newbie forum and some of the letters. And I have to be honest--this scares me.
Healthy fear is good....but don't panic. Save your energy for getting well!!

You need to find a Lyme Literate MD ASAP!!!! (LLMD)...YOu don't say where you're located, but I'll send you a private message and find out.

I can give you the names of some drs you could call. We need to get you out of the danger zone!!!

Wild Condor's Links and information:
http://www.wildcondor.com/lymelinks.html

-

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96203 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tabbytamer
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tabbytamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chanson,

If you got bit only five weeks ago, and if you do have Lyme, you have a fantastic chance of beating this.

Many people here did not get proper treatment for years, thus the severe persisting symptoms.

Like Lymetoo said, you need to find an LLMD as soon as possible. Call right away to make an appt.

I'm also curious as to where you were camping.

Do you still have the headless tick? If so, save it. Also, take pictures of it and where it was attached. Also take pictures of any rashes you might develop. Use a coin in the photo (penny, dime, quarter, etc.) so it will show a reference to the size of the rash.

Keep a dated log of your symptoms as well as any medicines you take for this, doses, etc.

How is your husband feeling?

--------------------
Tabby

-

California Lyme support group

Posts: 2098 | From San Diego, CA, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HaplyCarlessdave
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaplyCarlessdave   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be sure to consider "co-infections " like babesia and ehrlichea. Doxycycline treats ehlichea as well as lyme, but the "standard dose" of 100 mg is too low, especially if you have both ehrlichia and lyme, or have a compromised immune system.

I got treatment within a month of the initial bite, and was given 6 weeks of doxy at 100mg twice a day. That DID NOT get rid of the lyme OR the ehrlichia! (I qualify as "compromized immune", too, not having a spleen.) Then after I relapsed I was given another short course of doxycycline and then was told "there must be something else going on'''" Yeah, right. As a result I had a huge, expensive 2 and a half year nightmare getting over Lyme, ehrlichia, and babesia. It was a total crime. I should probably have sued, but the original perpetrator of the faulty treatment is a tenured Yale medical professor, who can't afford to admit he was wrong (thus amerika's faulty ...'health care'..., yeah-right... system enters into the picture, too.), so that probably would have been a wate of time, too.

In any case, you not to get a "lyme literate" doctor, who puts the welfare of his or her patients in front of the urge to "play the game" being run by conceited academedian physicians and , possibly, pharmaceuticalo corporations. (it's more profitable to have patients with a "chronic" disease who need aLL KIND OF MEdICINE THE REST OF THEIR LIVES....)

So that's the first order of business- to get a good lyme doc. Post on the "looking for doc" forum, or find a lyme support group-- then you should be able to find a good doc.
DaveS

Posts: 4567 | From ithaca, NY, usa | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96203 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hanson, you've received good advise from everyone above.

you should have received my 56 pages newbie links/advise yesterday when you joined.

look for LDA/BETTY'S LYME BROCHURE....click on that link as i retyped LDA's co-infection brochure there making legible over theirs ...
it shows the 2 co-infections mentioned above.

read all about the symptoms/treatment ok!

you ARE lucky enough to see the tick and have bulls-eye rashes; yes, get good clear photos of these and date them!!

YOU CAN BE CURED WITH LONG ENOUGH ANTIBIOTICS to kill the spirochete that entered your body. many of us with chronic lyme can not; some go into remission, and that's what i'm trying to do after 37 years; 34 yrs. misdiagnosed! [cussing]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement