LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » I've been on antibiotics for a few months, so why am I getting worse?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I've been on antibiotics for a few months, so why am I getting worse?
MysteryGirl44
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10201

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MysteryGirl44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I've been taking Biaxin for the past 2 months and am starting my third month on it. In some ways I'm getting better, like the fatigue isn't as bad as it was and I'm not depressed or have anxiety anymore.

In other ways I feel like I'm getting worse. I have a lot of weakness in my arms, legs, and fingers. When my fingers get weak it's hard to write or even type. Now it hurts more to walk, also.

I know that it takes time to get better, but I shouldn't be getting worse, right?

Do you think that this is a herx? I definately will talk to my doctor about it, but your thoughts will be helpful in the meantime. [Smile]

--------------------
"Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful."

www.myspace.com/lymediseaseawareness

Posts: 514 | From New Jersey | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could be, could not be!!! Could be affecting symptoms of one disease allowing another disease to dominate where before it had been suppressed- this is common with people with TBDs, the whole presentation subtly changes-!!!

I would definitely talk to your doctor- on the good side- you are having positive changes as well- but muscle weakness is not good-

It could very well be a Herx though because Biaxin has great muscle penetration!!!

Sometimes it is a waiting game to find out what your body is doing- but I would talk to your doc!!!

I like your name!*)!
Sincerely,

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We all get worse before we get better when it comes to Lyme disease. The only way out is through.

One way to find out if it's a herx is to stop the meds ONE day. If you feel better, then it's a herx. Don't do this without your dr's permission.

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Also....we have monthly herxes...every 3-5 weeks. Is it that time for you??

Keeping a journal will help you track these herxes and help you see patterns in your recovery.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 95344 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MysteryGirl44
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10201

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MysteryGirl44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi!

Thank you both for the information! I really appreciate it!

I actually didn't take my antibiotic for a day, and I felt way worse and had a fever.

Maybe I have a co-infection. I haven't been tested for them.

I'll take your advice about keeping a journal.

Thanks CaliforniaLyme! I love your name, too! I used to live in California.

--------------------
"Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful."

www.myspace.com/lymediseaseawareness

Posts: 514 | From New Jersey | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OH yes, you must address the coinfections. Most of us chronics have at least one. You can't beat lyme without knocking those out as well.

-

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 95344 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My last round of abx starting in Feb 2005 and ending in July 2006 was a disaster for me.

I was walking with a cane and by the time I stopped taking the medication I was in a wheelchair.

No one can explain it to me.

Posts: 1757 | From Somerset County, NJ | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bejoy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bejoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you read anything about mitochondrial dysfunction and supplements you can take for them?

There are a few good threads. They might help you.

The mitochondria are the power centers of our cells.

They give us energy and allow our muscles to "go."

When microbes climb inside the cells and die and give off toxins, it makes our poor little mitochondria kind of sick, and they can't go.

So if you feed them mitochondria food they feel much better and help you feel like you have more strength.

Mitochondria food includes, but is not limited to, D-Ribose, CoQ-10, and NADH.

Worth reading up on and talking to your physician about.

--------------------
bejoy!

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1918 | From Alive and Well! | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Toxins building up?

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
aside to Bejoy- re the role of the mitochrondria- they have just discovered a new tick borne parasite that actually invades the mitochrondria- the FIRST creature like that ever discovered- and since mitochronidral function is theorized as a possible key to ALS degeneration I wonder about this possibly being a coinfection (or one of a new class?) responsible-!!!

1: Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2006 Nov;56(Pt 11):2535-40. Links

'Candidatus Midichloria mitochondrii', an endosymbiont of the tick Ixodes ricinus with a unique intramitochondrial lifestyle.

Sassera D, Beninati T, Bandi C, Bouman EA, Sacchi L, Fabbi M, Lo N.
Dipartimento di Patologia Animale, Igiene e Sanit Pubblica Veterinaria, Universit degli studi di Milano, 20133 Milan, Italy.

An intracellular bacterium with the unique ability to enter mitochondria exists in the European vector of Lyme disease, the hard tick Ixodes ricinus.

Previous phylogenetic analyses based on 16S rRNA gene sequences suggested that the bacterium formed a divergent lineage within the Rickettsiales (Alphaproteobacteria).

Here, we present additional phylogenetic evidence, based on the gyrB gene sequence, that confirms the phylogenetic position of the bacterium. Based on these data, as well as electron microscopy (EM), in situ hybridization and other observations, we propose the name 'Candidatus Midichloria mitochondrii' for this bacterium.

The symbiont appears to be ubiquitous in females of I. ricinus across the tick's distribution, while lower prevalence is observed in males (44%).

Based on EM and in situ hybridization studies, the presence of 'Candidatus M. mitochondrii' in females appears to be restricted to ovarian cells.

The bacterium was found to be localized both in the cytoplasm and in the intermembrane space of the mitochondria of ovarian cells.

'Candidatus M. mitochondrii' is the first bacterium to be identified that resides within animal mitochondria.

PMID: 17082386

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement