LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Member count here

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Member count here
coltman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coltman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So it says 16k. Quite a tiny amount frankly . For one of the most popular resources lyme wise it is really tiny number . I tried to find other boards for lyme but all of them are a lot less active. -This is most popular and most active one by far.

Overall it kinda means there are not that many people with lyme.

Posts: 856 | From MA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It might just mean there are not that many that know that what they have is Lyme.
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Overall it kinda means there are not that many people with lyme."

No, overall it unfortunately means many have not found us and many are misdiagnosed or have been under treated and have no idea what is wrong with them.

Not all sick people turn to the internet. Many believe what their doctors tell them and lots of people, believe it or not, still don't have internet access.

Posts: 5187 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree SG. To stay here and arrive here, you really have to go against the odds, against all normal doc's advice, etc. It's kind of an evil cult to outsiders to be honest. Only when you've hit total desperation, tried it all, and haven't made improvement do you come here and start believing maybe it's a possibility? If you have a bullseye rash, it's a whole different story.

How many here really do/did though? [Smile]

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coltman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coltman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regardless it is still a tiny amount .it actually does make sense -based on list of LLMD I received for several neighboring state it looks like average amount of LLMDs pers state is about 5.- Given that some states have very few LLMDs (my list are for Northeast and its more than 5 for those)

Very rough estimate is there is 250 LLMDs in US total.Lets say amount of people who registered on those boards and have lyme is about 1/3 of those who has it (and knows about it ) .48k- lets round to 50k . That means around 1000 patients per LLMD- seems about right to keep them busy full time (even a bit overboard -suggesting there are less people with lyme than I estimated)

So all in all a best guesstimate is that there is only 50k people in US who have lyme (and know about it). Frankly that is minuscule amount -it is double the CDC numbers (27k in 2007) but still I would say very low

Posts: 856 | From MA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocean
Member # 3496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know at least 3 others with Lyme who are not lyme.net memebers. Same with a lot of diseases. When I was dx with CFS, I never visited a CFS forum, though it was the late 90's before there were many active forums.

I bet a lot of people lurk here and many never post.

--------------------
http://www.healingfromlymedisease.blogspot.com/

Sick since 1996...Diagnosed 10/2008

IgM:23-25 IND, 31+++, 39 IND, 41 +++
IgG: 31 IND, 41++, 58+

Posts: 1619 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many do lurk here and never post. I know that for a fact.

And you still can't disregard all those who are misdiagnosed with MS, ALS, CFS, FMS and the list goes on.

The ones who are here are the lucky ones, believe it or not.

Posts: 5187 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Abxnomore:
Many do lurk here and never post. I know that for a fact.

And you still can't disregard all those who are misdiagnosed with MS, ALS, CFS, FMS and the list goes on.

The ones who are here are the lucky ones, believe it or not.

Very true.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 95974 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the way Seek said it!

If you arrive here its kind of like the end of the road. Out of desperation you find your way here.

And its true that many ppl do just accept whatever their regular mainstream doctors say. Not just many, probably most. My own mother is this way. And she doesn't use a computer.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
abigail
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abigail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I worked at a rheumatologist's office. I typed on people diagnosed with fibromyalgia all day long. I even caught one patient in the elevator crying, and I had to tell her about the Lyme coverup. There were a lot of patients, and their symptoms were a whole lot of pain, headaches, fatigue. My doc just diagnosed them with fibromyaliga/chronic pain disorder. He told them they were just feeling pain that wasn't really there. I'd give a million dollars to see one of them punch him in the mouth and say "that pain is not real."

--------------------
Dying is easy. Living is harder.

Posts: 257 | From owensboro kentucky | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AnnaL
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnnaL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of the activists and support group organizers in my city aren't on Lymenet. Not because they don't have Lyme, but because they often have other things to do than use message boards.

Not a slam to anyone on the board--I'm here every day--but when you figure in work, spouse, kids, pets, life, etc., there are a lot of people who might not want to spend time online. For example, my husband (a software engineer with Lyme, who works for one of the biggest internet companies) does't spend a lot of time online at home.

Of course, if you disconnect me from the internet, my brain melts.

Posts: 398 | From By the Salish Sea | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm here for one reason. To try to help myself get out of this terrible situation I'm in. I've had days where I can hardly see straight and still prayed some tidbit of info would pop up that could make me more functional.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AnnaL:
Of course, if you disconnect me from the internet, my brain melts.

Gee, the same thing happens to me! Very curious! [Big Grin]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 95974 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwb
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by seekhelp:
I'm here for one reason. To try to help myself get out of this terrible situation I'm in. I've had days where I can hardly see straight and still prayed some tidbit of info would pop up that could make me more functional.

Took the words right out of my mouth.
Posts: 1349 | From OK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This might be he reason too. For me I did not even know there were support forums and i found them only one year ago and was diagnosed 5 years ago and sick for 10 years with what they said was FMS and CFS and still did not know of boards?

WHY? I do not know? I was online and very computer savey and my whole business I had prior to losing it revolved around the internet.

How could I not have known? I have no idea?
I signed up for newsletters and read articles and such. But.. It took all that time to even know about the support forums for Lyme and for any other illnesses.

I look back and can not see how that happened but.. well it did.

I bet there are many that just do not know about them. Honest. This disease can be very isolating too and how would you find out? You have to do a lot of internet searching or someone has to tell you or something..

I feel a bit silly admitting that but I felt that it has to be part of it.

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
abigail
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abigail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the negative Lyme test slows us all way down. Someone at The Roadback Foundation for people with rheumatoid arthritis told me the Lyme tests were no good. Without that person, who knows where I would be right now.

--------------------
Dying is easy. Living is harder.

Posts: 257 | From owensboro kentucky | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think:

You have to find out Lyme exists.
You have to find out you might have Lyme instead of all those other symptoms and names for them and you.

You have to be willing to question doctors who tell you otherwise.

You have to have a computer or be willing to use one and have the time to do so.
You have to find out Lymenet exists.

There are a lot of hurdles to getting here.

Re the 50K number you're suggesting of people who know they have Lyme and and see LLMDs, there are a lot of people who know they have Lyme who cannot travel out of state to get to an LLMD doctor.

There are a lot of sick people who cannot afford to see a doctor. There are alot of people who are not seeing LLMDs who are self-treating, with herbs, etc.

Re patient number for an LLMD - many LLMDs have more than 1000 patients - up to 1800, I've heard for one. Not sure of numbers for other busy doctors.

And numbers of people with all the other diagnosed conditions that might be Lyme? In the millions.

Posts: 13084 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamesNYC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15793

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamesNYC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coltman,

That is some conclusion to jump to. You look at the world from a very narrow IT-guy perspective. Most people DO NOT join forums like this nor do they participate in flash discussions, regardless of the topic.

The amount of people on this site has no correlation to the how many people have lyme. It's ridiculous to draw that conclusion.

I know 4 people who have lyme and don't come here even though I try to get them too. They don't like this kind of interaction. They're not computer comfortable.

Your attempt to guess-timate makes even less sense. Most people who are DIAGNOSED with lyme are NOT treated by LLMDs. Most people with lyme probably don't know they have it.

LLMDs only get the patients who, for whatever reason, need to go beyond their PCPs because they believe they have lyme and it persists.

For every person that goes to a LLMD there are probably dozens who were treated by other Drs and now believe they have whatever the IDSA says they have (as long as it isn't lyme) CFS, MS, FM, RA, etc.

But why does it matter? Do YOU have lyme? Then if no one else has it so what? You do.

Posts: 872 | From New York City | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so what is the reason you posted this? it belongs in SUPPORT ...
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

yeah Betty is right, it belongs in support . Imagine if all the FMS and CFIDS patient learned what the cause of their symptom was....they'd crash the server logging in...lol who knows why.
LisaS
Member # 10581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you start this just to get a rise out of everyone? Thanks for raising all of our low blood pressures today=)

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1660435643

Posts: 1078 | From Lake Geneva WI | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wtl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19883

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wtl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by coltman:
Very rough estimate is there is 250 LLMDs in US total.Lets say amount of people who registered on those boards and have lyme is about 1/3 of those who has it (and knows about it ) .48k- lets round to 50k . That means around 1000 patients per LLMD- seems about right to keep them busy full time (even a bit overboard -suggesting there are less people with lyme than I estimated)

Just a quick math correction - according to your numbers, it would mean about 200 patients per llmd, not 1000 (50k divides by 250).
Posts: 822 | From midwest | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coltman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21272

quote:
Originally posted by wtl:

Just a quick math correction - according to your numbers, it would mean about 200 patients per llmd, not 1000 (50k divides by 250).

Thanks for correction. My brain is totally shot , lol ,I used to be able to perform trivial arithmetics - seem not anymore!

Anyways 200 per LLMD seems believable number to me as well . Since once patient can have multiple visits per year and not all docs see exclusively lyme patients . Also not all of them work full time (seeing patients thats it).

Anyways all in all I do think there are not that many people with lyme, especially if they confirm XMRV as pathogen and causative agent of CFS.

Does it matter? -not too much . Started thread because I felt like throwing some speculation out there [Smile] You know like one of those -
" how many gas stations there is in NYC ? " questions they sometimes ask you on interviews

WildCondor
Unregistered

Most of the good LLMD's have over 5,000+ patients
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Anyways all in all I do think there are not that many people with lyme, especially if they confirm XMRV as pathogen and causative agent of CFS. "

That is so much bologna!

Of the group of the very sickest patients tested in that ONE study...

Repeat... ONE study...

Only 67 percent were positive for the virus.

Why do the others have CFS then?

And... how many of that group were tested for Lyme and were positive?

None.

And none were negative either.

Saying that virus is the cause of CFS is like saying 71 percent of those in the group had brown eyes... so it is the brown eyes that causes the CFS.

If you tested that same group for Epstein Barr and only 6 percent tested positve, it would then, by your way of thinking...

Be safe to assume Epstein Barr is not the cause of CFS.

Or is it possible?

Your calculations remind me of the cutting board/toilet seat study.

In 100 households, researchers tested the toilet seat and the cutting board from the kitchen for bacteria levels.

In all cases, the cutting boards had more germs.

Conclusion....

People should cut up their veggies on their toilet seats.

[lol]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Colt said...

"So all in all a best guesstimate is that there is only 50k people in US who have lyme (and know about it). Frankly that is minuscule amount -it is double the CDC numbers (27k in 2007) but still I would say very low."

Not sure where you got your numbers.. but ...

The CDC's estimate of those who contracted Lyme just since reporting began...

3.3 MILLION in the USA alone.

BTW- Did you count those who don't have computers?

And the children who are at the most risk?

And those who have died?

Or the mom's with families where all are infected and only one person posts?

Or the numbers from the LymeNet boards prior to this one?

If memory serves me.. there were 3 previous LymeNet boards.

The others wore out from so much use.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sometimesdilly
Member # 9982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sometimesdilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tin- wow!

i didn't know about that study! Thanks for posting the results.

I'll git going on moving some sound into the bathroom cause i need rhythm when i chop veggies, and i can hang my knives up on the towel rack.. ..

Are there any suggestions in the study about where i should clean the knives afterwards? Do I wash them in the toilet or haul them back out to the germy kitchen?

[Big Grin]

the choppin' pickle

[ 10-17-2009, 11:22 AM: Message edited by: sometimesdilly ]

Posts: 2505 | From lost in the maze | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

"Are there any suggestions in the study about where i should clean the knives afterwards? Do I wash them in the toilet or haul them back out to the germy kitchen? "

Goofy girl!

[lol]

But that is the point.

It's all in the way the data is used... and IDSA has a way to squirrel around with it to our detriment.

[Big Grin]

BTW- If you decide to wash the knives in the toilet... please remind me of that when I come to visit.

T'ain't bad nuff that you will have a cow in the guest room to milk for fresh ice cream when I want it... and cabana boys at my disposal...

But now I have to watch where I sit myself down to do my business!

[lol]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement