LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Please help with Knowledge of Lyme or illness Dangers in Africa?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Please help with Knowledge of Lyme or illness Dangers in Africa?
LymeLearned
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20565

Icon 4 posted      Profile for LymeLearned     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Guys,

My husband and I just learned of this and are hoping anyone with any information will share with us.

We're terrified for a young couple who are dear friends and are planning a year long mission in Malawi Africa.

Do they have Lyme and or ticks? Sounds like dumb question, but this is a huge concern. They want to spend their first year of marriage there, and then return home and start a family.

I'm terrified SOMETHING will leave them too ill to safely go on with their lives, or have healthy babies. Any thoughts? Thank you for your help. Suz [Smile]

--------------------
"SEVEN LYME FACTS THAT COULD HAVE SAVED ME" VISIT ME AT:

http://www.youtube.com/TickedOffLiterally

Posts: 183 | From USA | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I think it is a fabulous idea.

The world is full of things that can hurt us. The key is knowledge. I'm sure they have much to learn and will enjoy doing so. They will not be alone in their journey.

I've known a few people who lived in Africa for a year or more. They are all in marvelous health and have a far deeper sense of world culture that helped them grow as human beings.

I'm sure the young couple will become educated in how to take care of themselves and may learn some things that will serve themselves, as well as others, for years after their visit.

There is so much to learn from visiting others' homelands and being taught their ways - and sharing with them some of ours - for a true exchange and rich human experience. Nothing can top that.
-

[ 01-03-2010, 11:46 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MADDOG
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 18

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MADDOG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would be more scared of the lions there.

I have not heard of lyme there.

MADDOG P.S. That is one place were I woulden't chase the cats!!!!!

Posts: 3846 | From Ohio | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it is a good thing too.

LOL maddog

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow, good idea.

i'm too big of a coward tho and with my illnesses i'm afraid of being away from the docs and hospital.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
There are doctors in Africa, too.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitty9309
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19945

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitty9309     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Malaria prevention.

I am sure they will need vaccines prior to their trip.

They can ask the doctor about other risks of foreign travel.

It is no reason to stay home. [Smile]

Posts: 819 | From East Coast | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nicole_Denise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicole_Denise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haha- actually, at one point before I found an LLMD I was thinking of going to a travel clinic, and telling them I was going to a country with malaria, so I could get antibiotics.

If they are going to Africa, they will have to be on some sort of ant-malarial. I think in Africa they use Malarone/Mepron, but I'm not sure. I know in certain countries (I think Thailand) they even use doxycycline, because the malaria is resistant to most bacteria.

So while they do have to be careful and ensure they take their anti-malarial, they shouldn't have to worry about Lyme

Posts: 503 | From Alberta, Canada | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
grandmother
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19908

Icon 1 posted      Profile for grandmother     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Years ago, I saw a documentary, about Africa, and a small part of it was about a baby giraff who died because 50,000 attached ticks sucked the life out of it.

It's mother could do nothing and the film crew would, apparently, rather film nature taking its course than help the animal.

Malaria is a plasmodium. Isn't malaria treated with quinine etc? Or has that changed?

Posts: 886 | From CT | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Spirochetes and Borrelia infections of various strains are on every continent. So are ticks. However, your young friends are as at risk in a backyard garden as anywhere else. But lyme is not the only thing that requires education to ensure health. There is a whole host of things to learn about how the world of microbiology can derail us.

Still, I have to say for anyone to recoil from adventure - when they can be out in the world - is already dead. To shy away from experience (when able to do otherwise) just puts the lid on an invisible coffin.

I'm so homebound and that is killing me more than the diseases themselves. What I have to do to survive now is understandable, given the sensory stuff but, nonetheless, were it at all possible, I would give my eye teeth to experience other cultures. Even 35 years ago, right out of college I wanted to join the Peace Corps but was not well enough. Then, I wanted to work with National Geographic. Again, not well enough. Ditto, later even for Sierra Club outings.

Dreams put on hold. Life put on hold. All because I had not had knowledge of how to prevent or treat a trio of tick-borne infections.

So, this touches on a very passionate issue for me.

Anyone able to do so, with even an ounce of desire, should NEVER be held back from mere fear of what could happen. Here, in the U.S., just days ago came the news that fecal bacteria has been found in soda fountains. The out-of-doors, other cultures, are looking better and better.

Sure they'll be many things the young travelers will need to learn. However, with knowledge, fear can subside. WIth knowledge, prevention prevails. Fear will bury us. Education can arm us with tools - and free us.

I encourage anyone who is able to get out for distances near and far to experience all that the world and its people have to offer.

For all the dangers, the world is still a marvelous playground.
-

Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Malaria and Momba's. And mean ticks. Oh and stay out of the water. And don't drink the water. No fresh vegetables unless cooked. Saw

that one on Monsters inside us. I would take loads of repellents. Don't know what kind of packaging is allowed. Personally I would worry more about

the natives so as soon as I got there I would purchase something for personal protection. Safety in numbers. Know where medical help is found and how far away. Then I would have a blast.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I wonder if visitors worry the same about us when they travel to the states, fearing that they might be attacked?

I've only been to other countries three times but, each time, found the native population to be warm, sincere, friendly and looking out for my happiness and travel safety.
-

Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.newsobserver.com/news/health_science/story/279571.html

Study finds UNICEF program in West Africa fails

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ajisuun
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have lived in Africa for more than 10 years. Are there sicknesses and other dangers? Of course. But should this couple (or you) cower in fear about what MIGHT happen there? No. People get sick in the US and they get sick in Africa.

I might not be the best one to talk since I did end up with African tick bite fever (not Lyme) which then but my body into an autoimmune response which gives me symptoms very similar to Lyme. However, the truth is, I could have gotten Lyme or something else here in the US. You can't avoid all illness. You do what you can by taking the proper precautions, but beyond that, you live your life.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carly
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just keep them out of my old garden, it's full of ticks! [Big Grin]
Posts: 797 | From New York | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
ajisuun,

Thanks for your reply. While I've only dreamed of traveling to the beautiful continent of Africa - and hope to do so someday, the people from there whom I've had the honor to know have been truly the most memorable with deep warmth and a spark of life that is just so very much fun to be around.

I hope you are enjoying your time there.
-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement