LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » what diets have worked for you?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: what diets have worked for you?
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i stated that i weighed 128 then ballooned up to 195.

i've done jenny craig (too expensive), nutrisystem (my pancreas goes haywire), slimfast (diahhrea and starving), medifast (too expensive), weight watchers (counting and measuring was too much), etc., etc., nothing works.

and having lyme and trying to diet is not easy.

is there anything that somebody who weighs this much can do? i've heard about beach diet (too many specialty items to buy)...plus i've got a husband who's meat and potatoes and a limited amount to spend.

help......

so what's this "food combining" thing? is that the sherry brescia no pain diet or soemthing?

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jackie51
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackie51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Body Ecology Diet book has some information regarding food combining. I just started reading it so not much I can tell you.

I think a lot of this is so contingent on just getting rid of the infections, then it should "fall off".

I do mostly lean protein and veggies. I walk anywhere from 1 mile to 4 miles a day. It's not budging for me. [shake]

So, have no real advice here, but please know that you're not the only one who struggles with this.

Posts: 1374 | From Crazy Town | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well i've gone and damaged my left knee. i had an injury from a fall many years ago. torn cruciate ligament.

i bent down in the kitchen and wham!!! now i can't bend at all and if it doesn't clear up looks like another doctor visit is in order.

geez....so walking and using my elliptical is out right now. but it sure did lossen me up.

--------------------

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PROPER FOOD COMBINING!!! People don't realize how miraculously effective this diet is.

Here's a link from Body Ecology:
http://bodyecology.com/articles/food_combining_optimal_health_and_weight.php

It's amazing how many good doctors and nutritionists recommend proper food combining.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I left my moldy home 3 months ago I was quite sick... I had my first appt. with an LLMD the following day and I have tested positive for Lyme & Bartonella - I have had these for at least 17 years if not longer.

I ordered a book off Amazon called "Clean" by Alejandro Junger, M.D. and I followed his 21 day detox diet for about 35 days. 21 days didn't seem to cut it for me... I needed more.

In those 35 days, I lost 18 pounds, lots of inches, gained moisture in my skin, my hair stopped falling out, I had energy I had not had in years and I felt much better than I had in years.

I haven't gone back to all my old eating habits... I really pay attention to how food makes me feel. I try to eat as organically as I can afford to.

I highly recommend the book to anyone looking to detoxify!

I just ordered the Kindle because there is another book I want to read but it is out of print. It is called "Lose The Weight You Hate" and it expands on the weight loss aspect of toxic people from the prospective of another doctor... the same one who wrote "Surviving Mold"

And... my son and I just got finished watching Foodmatters (a documentary). It is available on Netflix instant.

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Food combining is really good. Also .. just ELIMINATE gluten, white foods, and sugar.

Eat plenty of vegetables and proteins. Very simple and it works.

You would probably be a new person if you TOTALLY ELIMINATED gluten.

www.celiac.com

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 95333 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

yeah but just leaves meat and eggs, vegetables.

i've tried that and believe me, it's very very hard for me.

water and vegetables and meat....yuck.

i know, i know...but geez....

--------------------

faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I lost over 100 lbs using the hcg protocol.

Now I follow the Blood Type Diet which my LLMD loves.

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2680 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is your HEALTH worth it? What if you have celiac and dont' know it?? MANY MANY adverse health ramifications.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 95333 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

i've been tested for celiac, gluten intolerance, etc., all came back negative.

i've had allergies done, just allergic to cedar, elm, grass, pollen, strawberries, etc., nothing about anything else. that testing was outrageously expensive.

i'm just grumpy..

--------------------

randibear
Member # 11290

sorry but what's hcg protocol? is that the food combining??

--------------------

AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if your attempts to loose weight have faailed when you followed diets has your thyroid been checked?

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

yep, i've been checked out the ying yang...everything is always normal, normal, normal....

complete blood panel -- all normal
yeast -- normal
cell count - normal

no matter what they do, it's always normal....

that's why doctors won't even test anymore. they read my records and see NORMAL...

it's disgusting.

--------------------

Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohhhh, I understand about the weight. The last twenty came on so fast it scared me.

I have done all the Jenny, nutrisystem, etc. I am back on weight watchers...frozen grapes are my new best friend..

I am grumpy about the whole thing too...except I have to do something!

Since Lyme, my weight is the only thing I lose-that I seem to find...

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1966 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonko
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18318

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wonko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can relate to your situation of having tried many things and not being sure what to do next, and also not wanting to eliminate too many foods from your diet. I'm also very overweight (I hate the word "obese," but it does apply to my case.)

I couldn't make the no gluten, no sugar, no carbs diet work for me either, I would always "snap" and break the rules plus I was a very mean person while on it.

But finally, under the recommendation of my LLMD, I did ditch gluten. He suggested it due to ongoing issues with afternoon fatigue, despite cortef for adrenal support. You don't need to have full celiacs to have a gluten sensitivity.

I very quickly shed about 15 lbs and felt a lot better!

It's only been about two months, so I can't say whether or not I'll be able to lose more, but this was a big deal for me since for at least a year *nothing* I did would move the scales down at all, including 1 hour cardio workouts 5x a week.

I still eat brown rice and corn, so it's not that difficult to follow. Once in awhile I'll have rice noodles, as I've had few yeast issues in years of oral abx.

I can relate to being hesitant to eliminate too many foods from your diet all at once. For me even the gluten-free was really intimidating in theory. But in practice it's working well for me and the benefits outweigh the cons.

I also figure that going gluten-free is a step towards no sugar/no carbs, so if I never need/want to go to that extreme, I'm already part way there and it may not be as big of a shock to my system as eliminating everything at once.

I do my best to keep an open mind and to realize that I may need to change my diet over time to find what works best for me.

I don't know about food combining but will check out some of the posted links.

Best of luck...

Posts: 455 | From Was in PA, then MD, now in the Midwest | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ate about a tsp of cocunut oil and felt like I was having a herx.....

Really afraid to try again.

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1966 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just watched a documentary called, "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead"

Good one for losing weight and getting healthy/ getting toxins out.

They have a website too:
http://fatsickandnearlydead.com/

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by Wonko:

I couldn't make the no gluten, no sugar, no carbs diet work for me either, I would always "snap" and break the rules plus I was a very mean person while on it.

But finally, under the recommendation of my LLMD, I did ditch gluten. He suggested it due to ongoing issues with afternoon fatigue, despite cortef for adrenal support. You don't need to have full celiacs to have a gluten sensitivity.

I very quickly shed about 15 lbs and felt a lot better!

-
yep

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

James1979
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by momlyme:
I just watched a documentary called, "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead"

Good one for losing weight and getting healthy/ getting toxins out.

They have a website too:
http://fatsickandnearlydead.com/

"Fat, sick, and nearly dead"? That sounds like my cat! [Smile]
philly78
Member # 31069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for philly78     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by randibear:
yeah but just leaves meat and eggs, vegetables.

i've tried that and believe me, it's very very hard for me.

water and vegetables and meat....yuck.

i know, i know...but geez....

That's not true! I'm not eating sugar, breads, pastas, or gluten etc...and I just had a very tasty muffin with some tea! It was made with almond flour so safe for those who are snesitive to gluten and there is no sugar.

You just need to learn how to cook differently. I'm not even sensitive to gluten and at first, was still eating some here and there but now I'm not.

You can do it!

It takes a bit of work and doing some research but once you get the hang of it, it is easy.

--------------------
When faced with pain you have two choices....either quit and accept the circumstances, OR make the decision to fight with all the resources you have at your disposal.

Posts: 1000 | From PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philly78
Member # 31069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for philly78     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
i've been tested for celiac, gluten intolerance, etc., all came back negative.

i've had allergies done, just allergic to cedar, elm, grass, pollen, strawberries, etc., nothing about anything else. that testing was outrageously expensive.

i'm just grumpy..

You could try looking for a chiropractor in your area who tests for food sensitivities or allergies. I actually had my chiro do this with my son. I had also had an immo-print (?) something or other test drawn at this appt with my doc who is treating me for lyme.

What was very interesting to me was that most of the foods my son tested as having trouble with at the chiro appt all came back as positives on his blood test.

So my chiro was pretty darn accurate and the cost was 1/3 the price of the blood test.

Just a though.

--------------------
When faced with pain you have two choices....either quit and accept the circumstances, OR make the decision to fight with all the resources you have at your disposal.

Posts: 1000 | From PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momindeep
Member # 7618

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momindeep     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even if you are not gluten sensative at all gluten has, in itself, a lot of negatives. Removing gluten from ones diet is a plus.
Posts: 1512 | From Glenwood City WI | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by momindeep:
Even if you are not gluten sensative at all gluten has, in itself, a lot of negatives. Removing gluten from ones diet is a plus.

That's true. I avoid gluten as much as possible, and I never tested positive for celiac or gluten sensitivity. It's not good for anyone to be eating lots of gluten.

As boring as it can be, you will definitely lose weight if you try to stick with the meat, veggies, eggs type of diet. Eat as much fresh "real" food as possible and you will be much better off all the way around. I do know how difficult it can be to do this, but it's worth a try. Anything to feel better!

--------------------
"The simple things can get you through the hardest times."  -

Posts: 628 | From Connecticut | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harmony
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harmony     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok, my five cents worth:

before I knew I had Lyme, I thought I had food intolerance - not allergies, since like you'all said so many times, all my tests were NORMAL

but I was still sooo sick and systemic, so some doc put me on an elimination diet: rice, boiled turkey with only salt, margarine, rye bread

and I whined like a baby, after 5 days, I would have rather had a nice warm bowl of vomit than another bowl of rice and turkey with only salt

(it tastes like dead animal without sauce Bernaise or something flavorful on it - trust me)

So the doc, who lived through 2 world wars, it seemed, kept saying, no, you won't die - we didn't have anything to eat for years and you can survive a few weeks of it

AND - I started feeling fine!!! for the first time in years (that's why I believed the food intolerance diagnosis until I got worse again and no amount of elimination would help...)

Anyway - I eat meat, veggies, rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, quinoa, buckwheat, salads, fruits, omega-3 oils: fish oil, flax oil, hemp oil, pumpkin seed oil on salad

cook my own soups and put them in the freezer for a quick meal when I need one: example: fry ground pork with fresh rosemary in a big pot, add shiitake and oyster mushrooms, add bock choy chopped, add sea salt and ground galangal root (instead of pepper) and a little water - hmmmm

left out ALL dairy, egg, wheat, gluten (wheat, rye, oats, etc.) yeast (alcohol, vinegar, added yeast foods), corn, pepper (green pepper, white and black and red...), vanillin, soy

also no more additives for color/texture/flavor enhancement or preservatives

got tested by York Laboratories in the UK for 113 different food IgG antibodies and left out what they recommended (cost $400 - test can be done via internet, no doc required but you have to stick your finger for blood)

lost 45 lbs (down to 118 - can't really get thinner, not healthy)

it WAS hard but totally worth it

and doable

the hardest thing was the first few days (up to 10) and then every 2 months or so I got cravings for ice cream, pizza, etc., often slipped back but always started again...

also, when others got free food - sometimes I could pass it up but then ended up buying some for myself later that week - bummer! when it was on my mind

it gets easier with time, though

that worked for me and I am still happy with it

Couldn't eat any healthier

eventually got a nutritionalist for 90$/hour and see her every 6 months or so for more good information

good luck!!!

--------------------
Persistence, persistence, persistence!!!
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence...
Persistence and determination are omnipotent."
attributed to Calvin Coolidge

Posts: 596 | From USA | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harmony
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harmony     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh - I forgot, after the elimination period with rice and turkey, I was told to add one food at a time and observe reactions for a few days

eat as much of the one food as you like and observe how you react

tip: gaining 3-4 pounds overnight indicates fluid retention and disturbance in metabolism and digesting the food, so probably not ok

that's what I was told and it worked somewhat

not 100%

in retrospect, I think I have some food intolerances and I was starving the Lyme bacteria and strengthening my immune system [Big Grin]

that's why it helped

and I am glad I tried it

I learned a lot about eating and will keep this up even if I get all the way well from the Lyme

I am so looking forward to being super-well again!! maybe better than I ever was!!!
[woohoo]

wish the same to everyone on the lymenet!!!!

--------------------

Posts: 596 | From USA | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

if i could only find a doctor or somebody who believes in lyme that was willing to help me.

it's tough going it alone cause you don't know what you're doing half the time and with absolutely no support at home, it's like "oh what the hell, why bother"...plus the doctor increased my bp meds and my elavil which is known for weight gain.

i can't exercise now because of a torn cruciate ligament injury acting up again. can barely get down in the floor.

i'm just sick of going to doctors, my whole life is centering around what to try, who to go to, what to buy, what to return cause it didn't work.

it's just so frustrating. and then nobody believes me at all. they just say "OMG, you've gained all this weight. you're a pig." (ok, that's my sisters) and hubbie says "you're getting sloppy fat, and now you've got this hanging tummy. god, you make me sick...."

really nice for my self esteem, correct that, NO self esteem.

sorry, major pity party going on....

--------------------

momlyme
Member # 27775

quote:

it's just so frustrating. and then nobody believes me at all. they just say "OMG, you've gained all this weight. you're a pig." (ok, that's my sisters) and hubbie says "you're getting sloppy fat, and now you've got this hanging tummy. god, you make me sick...."

really nice for my self esteem, correct that, NO self esteem.

sorry, major pity party going on....

That's awful. [shake]

--------------------
May health be with you!

James1979
Unregistered

Yes, that it sad.
Randi, I really hope you give food combining a try. That diet really works miracles... and quickly!

Please ask if you have any questions about it. I can also recommend a good book.

Harmony
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32424

sorry to hear randibear [group hug]

no-one deserves to be talked to like that

that is their problem, not yours! how nasty of them! hope they are nice to you at other times

hm- you are a frequent contributor, but you don't have a good LLMD? is there none in your area?

that was what I thought of first when I read your post: yes, you deserve and need a good LLMD doc, not Elavil (my opinion, I'm not a doctor - maybe it is a good med for you)

also, a lot of people on Lymenet really don't like stuff from Louise Hay, I think, but I like it

for me, it is not about guilt and blaming the victim, I take only the positive stuff that works for me from it

I listen to the CD "self-esteem affirmations" by Louise Hay (10$ on amazon) and I think it did make me feel better and stand up for myself more

I is a suggestive CD with words and music saying stuff like: I am worth loving because I exist and It is easy for me to stand up for myself, etc.

if you get it, you may not want to share it with your hubby or sisters - I share with my hubby but not with people at work, for example,

it is my CD and none of their business that I am working on my self-esteem [kiss]

you can vent to me anytime! I often need to vent, too, and thank everyone who let's me do that!

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Where's the bad ligament located?? Can you sign up for Curves?? I can't get on the floor either but I exercise 3 days a week. (not at Curves)

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

twicebitten
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twicebitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My llmd wanted me on low glycemic diet. It's real simple in that if you have 1/2 of your plate in veggies, not corn or starch, 1/4 in starch *not white potato and 1/4 lean meat. You can also have as much green salad as you want at each meal. THere are several books written on it.

I tried HCG diet but I felt so bad I had to stop.

Best of luck

--------------------
One day at a time

Posts: 409 | From TX | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Low glycemic works too and should be the basis of any yeast-free diet.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

randibear
Member # 11290

Left knee is bad. Can't twist or even move in bed sometimes

--------------------

fatherguido
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25266

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fatherguido     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LLMD made me see a dietician three weeks ago because my cholesterol is out of control and I also need to weigh less.

She walked me through a low fat dietary plan of 10g of fat daily. I have lost 10 pounds so far and am not starving myself. A little tuna, mostly vegetables, soup and some fruit. Nothing starchy but I have no gluten issues. Mild exercise is a must as well. This is more of a lifestyle change rather than a "diet"

There is a book by Ornish called "Eat More, Weight Less" that really helped open my eyes and based my dietary intake loosely on his plan.

Good luck.

Posts: 196 | From Let's Go Pens! | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jazzygirl24
Member # 30829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jazzygirl24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
I second Fatherguido.
I think its easier to think of it as a lifestyle change, to develop healthy eating habits that you like and can follow for life.

Diets can help you lose weight, but will it be something you can do forever?

I just went to a nutritionist because I was also stuck, tried numerous diets, yes they work, but like you said expensive, who wants to count etc what happens when you are tired of them?

The nutritionist was excellant and they are able to work with your food likes and dislikes. Also you are not on your own, floundering, trying to decide what you should or should not eat, carbs or no carbs, meat or no meat etc.

The nutritionist also said to make changes slowly, then it is easier to incorporate them into your life. And with me there is no calorie counting. I didn't realize it but when I gave her my food log, I was binging big time at night! So she is giving me stratergies to stop.

If you have insurance they should be covered.

My doctor also gave me a book called Bite it and Write it. It is pretty straight foward. The writers focus on sensible tips, such as yes you should exercise, but work on your food issues first, and the exercise will come.

Hope this helps!
Grace

Posts: 27 | From central nj | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement