LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Hello there big boy! Tis Hurricane Season

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hello there big boy! Tis Hurricane Season
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ms. Safety is checking in here because I heard about a big boy down south that is unpredictable and could be dangerous too!

Mr. Isaac!

Hurricane or not, you should have an emergency plan and supplies in case of one in advance. Be safe everyone!

Here is your reminder list. BTW- Check the batteries in your smoke detectors too!

[Big Grin]

Hurricane Season Preparation List

Water - at least 3 gallons daily per person for 7-10 days minimum. At least one gallon clean water to drink and cook with per day and 2 gallons washing/cleaning/toilet water.

Keep freezer full by putting 2 liter water bottles in them to use to keep freezer colder for a longer period and for extra water. Fill washer machine and tub with clean water for toilet and cleaning purposes.

Fill coffee pot, coolers, pitchers, outdoor trash cans, sinks, buckets, pots with lids, water tank, etc. Set up buckets under rain gutters.

Food - Non-electric can opener, utility knife and at least enough food for 7-10 days minimum
-- non-perishable packaged or canned food. Make green tea, juices and have in the fridge ready to use.

Refrigerate as much canned food as possible to keep fridge filled and colder when electric goes out if there is room.

Have snack foods, comfort foods and put them on ice in a cooler if needed.

Put real perishable foods in cooler to eat first to prevent opening the door of fridge/freezer.

Buy ice if needed. Fill bags in advance with ice and make your own supply.

Fill BBQ grill propane tank.

Have cooking tools and washing scrubbies. Have paper plates, plastic bowls or cups, plastic utensils and paper towels available. Have plenty of dish soap, towels and Clorox for disinfecting.

Sleeping- Blankets and Pillows, sleeping bags, sleeping pads, etc.

Bath supplies- Have ready- towels /wash cloths / bathroom supplies/ antibacterial soap / rubbing alcohol / hair brush / moist cleaning wipes

Clothing - seasonal / rain gear/ sturdy shoes / boots / extra shoes / extra socks

First Aid Kit - EMT kit- be sure it is well supplied. You can watch for sales on first aid supplies during the year and purchase items at a discount.

Medicines / Prescription Drugs- Get at least a 2 week supply of medications and supplements on hand if possible.

Special Items - Have your camera and camera supplies, Ipod, and computer updated and in a safe place. Make copies of all important documents on CD's and mail the saved discs away from area for safe keeping.

Flashlights / Batteries- Have fuel for hurricane lamps, candles and a rechargeable battery charger to use in your vehicle if needed. Get a supply of extra batteries on hand in advance.

Radio - Battery operated NOAA weather radio and extra batteries.

Telephones - Fully charged cell phone and cord for vehicle to charge it.

Cash (with some small bills), Checks and Credit Cards - Banks and ATMs may not be available for extended periods. Get some change for soda/snack machines and the launder mat if it is operating.

Keys- Be sure to have spare house and vehicle keys.

Toys, Books, Games and Writing Materials- Have a supply on hand.

Important Documents- Put your phone book, credit cards, insurance information, passport, medical records, bank account numbers, Social Security card, etc.- in a waterproof container or watertight plastic bag.

Tools - Keep a set with you during the storm in the event they are needed in an emergency.

Vehicles- Fill gas tanks, get extra motor oil, purchase windshield wiper fluid and fill container and fill the tires with air.

Generator- Check and do a test run before it is needed.

Supplies

Fire extinguisher

2-4 tarps, ties, ropes

Pliers, tape, matches and lighters in a waterproof
container, aluminum foil, plastic storage containers, signal flare, pen, markers, paper, needles, thread

A shut-off wrench, to turn off gas and water at the tank

Whistle

Map of the area (for locating shelters)

Toilet paper, towelettes

Soap, liquid detergent

Feminine supplies, personal hygiene items

Plastic garbage bags with ties (for personal sanitation)

Plastic bucket with tight lid

Disinfectant

3 gallons chlorine bleach

Lysol spray

Lysol liquid

Plastic trash bags

Hat and gloves

Thermal underwear/pj's

Sunglasses

Extra eye glasses

Bug spray

Do early- Be prepared

Fill gas tanks and containers.

Take trash to dump.

Check supply list for food water, batteries, etc.

Get cash and change.

Refill prescriptions.

Fill propane tank for outdoor BBQ.

Save computer files on disc or back up devise.

Fill freezer and fridge as outlined above.

Wash all clothes and pack some to take if you must evacuate.

Bring outdoor items inside that could blow away.
Charge cell phones.

Recharge all rechargeable batteries.

Bag up and protect valuables.

Make ice in trays and store in bags.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is an excellent list!!! I need parts of the list for winter ice storms. We've only lost power once for 2 hrs during one, but those south of us were without power for 3 weeks in freezing cold weather!!!

I fear it every year! Hope you are in a safe and sound place, Tincup!!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you dont have that list 100% 365/24/7???????

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who you talking to, big boy!??

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my brothers in cape coral. hes a carpenter and happy for the extra work boarding up houses. tomorrow he does his own. hope everyone gets thru it ok.

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You forgot to mention that now might be a good time to come visit the West coast...
Posts: 13117 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tanks tutu. Glad it can be of help. Yes, snow storms, earthquakes, floods, wild fires, etc. We should all be prepared!

Just Don- if you are talking to me, yes, I pretty much do. It's called life in rural America. Always have had a big pantry- even in my family home. Just a way of life.

Bet you have it all too! But, as a volunteer disaster worker I've seen so many who suffer for lack of being prepared. And because of the Lyme brain I find it helps to have a check list.

And of course you know how I like to be pampered all the time. What would life be if I had to wait out a storm with no ice cream or chocolate? Heaven forbid!

[lol]

Wishing your brother the best kayak!

And yes little bird. That WOULD be fun!!! Guess we could all pile in at your place? HA!

I am very concerned for the folks on the northern gulf coast. I can't even imagine what they are mentally and emotionally dealing with right now as Isaac moves north and a bit westward toward them, especially on the anniversary of Katrina.

I would hope they would all be getting out of there NOW, before the storm gets any closer. I hope they do, and I hope they are safe and at peace too.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey TC,

Dont often say you goofed up . But this time I believe an error has been committed'

Didnt see on your list anywhere the magic ingredients

Graham Crackers

Marsh mellows(can ya figure where I am going?)

AND Hershey chocolate squares

Email yerself over thru your scanner and lets dine in 'smore's,,,everybody's welcome

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thx, Just Don, for reminding everyone of the importance of having s'mores. Whenever I was on girl scout trips, that's how we survived in the wilderness...
Posts: 13117 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[lol]

You're right you guys! I left that off. So sorry! In my defense... and this should make you smile...

The first words I taught that new grand baby to say were in response to this question... which I am not sure her parents thought was as funny as I did...

"WHO is the FASTEST race car driver?"

The answer, in her best little southern accent- "Kyle BUSH!"

[lol]

The next thing I taught her... yes, it gets better....

I took her to the mountains- of course she was excited to go not even knowing what a mountain was- and we went for the sole purpose of making a s'mores.

Yes, LONG drive to do just that, but well worth it. It was windy and we were between rain storms, but when we got to the top of the mountain we built a small campfire to keep warm and made ourselves some wonderful (sloppy, sticky) s'mores.

Then we sat at a picnic table eating our s'mores, laughing about everything and anything, and eventually we hiked a little bit.

That's when I heard her say her first real full sentence. We were headed along the Appalachian Trail and there was a huge hill in front of us.

She looked at me and out of no where said with such calmness and sincerity....

"I have to go up there grandma, it is so beautiful."

That was music to my ears. I now have someone I can play with who loves the mountains, loves s'mores and thinks racing cars is fun. And she is only 3 years old!

Our next adventure will be to go see Dorothy's ruby red slippers. Hope you can come along with us!

[Big Grin]

And to get back on topic.... I wish the people in the path of the storm would have evacuated when they had the chance. So sad to see the suffering going on now.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

MADDOG
Member # 18

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MADDOG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just Don
That would be a doggy laxitive correct??
In case your doggy's get constipated during a disaster.

MADDOG HE HE HE He !!!!

Posts: 4003 | From Ohio | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

So .. these S'mores. Are they gluten free and sugar free?? Oh, THEY ARE??? Count me IN!!! [Big Grin]

Right, TC. Who would have thought that TWICE, people would refuse to evacuate from a mandated evacuation
area that is below sea level.

I sure hope that storm begins moving FASTER!!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i want a grand baby. my only one is 21!!! i miss cuddling him.

--------------------

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great list Moonbeam!
Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Hope everyone here survived the storms and are doing ok. If you know of a displaced Lyme patient in need of a place to stay temporarily, please let me know.

[email protected]

PLEASE NOTE- It is reported insurers have been slipping in new deductibles for "hurricanes" into homeowners and renters policies that you may not have noticed till you needed it, like now.

REMEMBER- Hurricane Sandy was NOT a hurricane when it hit, so the storm should be referred to as a "storm" or "post-tropical storm" for insurance purposes.

ALSO- some people are being told they are not covered for the flooding that occurred in basements or in the lower floors of their homes.

If you have water in your home or basement and the flood water/surge did not come up TO the house (example- excessive rain seeping in), then you have what should be referred to as "storm and wind damage", not "flooding".

We hold the record here- Maryland eastern shore- for the most rain fall in the country (almost 13") during this storm so lots of folks are having problems because of it.

So, technically in this situation "flooding" was NOT the problem and homeowners should make insurers aware of this fact.

Here are some quotes from a recent article...

"While a typical homeowner policy has a deductible of a flat fee like $500 or $1,000, hurricane deductibles are a percentage of total home value, typically 1 to 5 percent. A $400,000 shore house, with a 5 percent deductible, would have out-of-pocket costs of $20,000."

"Homeowners should not have to pay hurricane deductibles for damage caused by the storm and insurers should understand the Department of Financial Services will be monitoring how claims are handled," New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said in a statement issued late Wednesday."

"New Jersey, where the storm first made official landfall, said the hurricane deductible would not apply. The change in the storm's designation to post-tropical cyclone just before hitting the barrier islands, "will save a lot of people a lot of money," said Ed Rogan, spokesman for the New Jersey Department of Banking and Insurance."

"Connecticut made a similar announcement, as did other states. The Maryland Insurance Administration said in a statement: "The National Weather Service did not issue hurricane warnings for any Maryland counties. Therefore, percentage deductibles will not apply to homeowners policies in Maryland for damage caused by the October 29-30 storm."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/01/storm-sandy-deductibles-idUSL1E8M1CR120121101

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Tincup
Member # 5829

And don't forget! Daylight Saving Time ends at 2 a.m. on Sunday, November 4, 2012.

So change your clocks back one hour this Saturday night before going to bed!

AND... most important... replace the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors!!!

I know, I'm a pain, but I care and want you to be safe.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

lpkayak
Member # 5230

glad you are ok after the storm tin.

--------------------

RDaywillcome
Member # 21454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RDaywillcome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it true that I'm hearing another nor'easter heading here by Wednesday?

Heed Tincups advice if it is going to happen. God Bless to all and donate what you can to help the victims of Sandy.

Posts: 1738 | From over the rainbow | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Member # 1129

Glad to see the famous cup is well and alive.

Havent heard a peep out of some others out that way,,,Carol and Acorn.

Havent heard of any personal damage from our group/ family of loose definition.

Mother Nature always wins!!!

--------------------
just don

lpkayak
Member # 5230

i know some who live in northern nj and i know it is awful there but havent heard from any

my dil texts me cuz my sons cell still wont work-he cant work cuz his area is still underwater and he couldnt get gas anyway-they are living with friends til they get power back

it really is a mess there and it is true about the northeaster...too early to know if it will go out to sea...that would be worth praying for...

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement