LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Very strange non lyme sx

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Very strange non lyme sx
just don
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is the strangest, goofiest symptom you ever heard of. I can not even imagine what might be going on

For a month or more when I get up from sitting,,,mostly getting out of my car Right in the middle of my thigh (up and down and side to side)

it feels like a bee or wasp is stinging my thigh, and really hangs on. Like a knife in my pocket stabbng me.

It is about right under where my jeans pocket is. If that isnt strange enough,,,

NOW last few days feels like I have an ice cube in that pocket right there. ICE COLD and numbed over.

Almost feels like your wet and spent too much time outside in below zero weather.

This is while I am warm and working so no shortage of heat.. I generally sweat a bit all while working.

It is so pronounced and Not just a passing random feeling

How would one even start to explain such a thing to a doctor???And what would they think of such a goofy sx???

I just dont know what to make of it,,,do you???

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Car seat ergonomics?

Cell phone carried in that pocket? That's been know to cause leg nerve troubles for some, really.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Just one of many articles over the years linking a cell phone in the pocket to nerve issues of that leg:

http://archie.kumc.edu/bitstream/handle/2271/1144/Cell%20Phone%20Induced%20Femoral%20Nerve%20Neuropathy%20FINAL.pdf?sequence=1

Kansas Journal of Medicine 2013 - Commentary

Cell Phone Induced Femoral Nerve Neuropathy - by Floyd Merlynn (Lynn) Colip, M.D
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://www.upledger.com/content.asp?id=26

UPLEDGER INSTITUTE (particular method)

CranioSacral Therapy

[this type is excellent for those with lyme as there is no sudden twisting of the spine or neck - which should never be done with some who deals with lyme]

http://www.upledger.com/findapractitioner.asp

FIND A THERAPIST trained in UPLEDGER TECHNIQUE (not all trained in cranial-sacral also have the visceral training so do ask first.)

Some who are trained in this (such as a D.O. or P.T.) may be covered by your insurance.
-

just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nope!!! NO cell phone ever in that pocket

Cant carry phone at either job so it mostly rides around on the passenger seat.

In fact been home 5 hours and its still out in the car.

That pocket only has my butterscotch disks in it,,,whole nuther deal. Have to carry them for medicinal uses.

When I do have a cell phone, not very often, it is carried in shirt pocket on other side even.

Nothing like that even to cause such issues

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I would have an UPLEDGER trained professional look at you (for any nerve impingements all throughout your frame, etc.) - and also assess your car seat as that seems to be an influence here.

Some car seats are downright dangerous over time. you might try an advanced Google search for the make / model / year of your vehicle and cross search with "orthopedic" and different words for issues, pain, etc.

At issue could be the material of the seat and how it may be wearing, the angle of the seat and the angle it puts your leg / foot at.

The gas pedal, too. Angles really matter.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Shoes, too? If not the proper foot / arch support, all kinds of pain issues can pop up in legs, back, etc.
-

lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is a common nerve pain. I have them all over on and off for yrs. I think a primary would not be surprised and might refer you to neuro or give you neurontin

Hot.cold.stabbing. stinging all common for me for years

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could also be a problem with your hip. Pain right there at the joint and in the thigh can be signs of a hip problem.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 95250 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JD said... "Right in the middle of my thigh (up and down and side to side)."

Does it feel like a piece of cheesecloth has been laid on your leg, and the cloth's strings that are running back and forth are either causing a type of burning/stinging, like the strands are coated in Texas Pete, or are frozen solid and are causing an instant cold/burning sensation?

If it feels like that I have no clue what's wrong with you. You must be weird or something.

[lol]

Actually, it could be neuropathy pain. I have patches of it in various areas so I know the feeling all too well. Some describe it as feeling like water is dripping on their leg, or they are being bitten by bugs. A numbness and tender are also possible words used to describe it.

My peripheral nerves got so "infected-affected" and tender that having a nickel in my back jeans pocket caused the bee sting pain to start first where the nickel was touching my butt, then all of the muscles were spasming, going outward from that spot in ripples, like when you drop a small rock into a calm body of water.

By nighttime I was a terrible mess, all from a stupid nickel being in my pocket!

If you tell a doctor he/she may order a nerve conduction test (EMG). If they do- RUN, don't walk to the nearest exit.

Of all the tests I've been through, some many times over, this was possibly the most useless and worst- not to mention painful.

If you tell a doctor you have this pain and they order the test, they must not believe you. That's my opinion. You shouldn't have to PROVE you have that pain, especially using that awful test. And the test is not accurate with small nerves, only the larger ones in trouble MAY show problems.

The neuropathy can be caused by a variety of things, such as hypothyroidism, Sjögrens, Lupus, leprosy, vasculitis, nutritional deficiency, HIV, alcoholism and of course Lyme disease.

Treatment is to treat the underlying cause. If this doesn't sound like a plausible suggestion for the bee sting pain, maybe like I have done, you've sat on a bee in your car when you got in. OUCH!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20352 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NOW I look it up- after that long, drawn out explanation. Here is some info that may be of interest.

"Neuropathy may cause painful cramps, fine muscle twitching, muscle loss, bone degeneration, and changes in the skin, hair, and nails.

Additionally, motor neuropathy may cause impaired balance and coordination or, most commonly, muscle weakness; sensory neuropathy may cause numbness to touch and vibration, reduced position sense causing poorer coordination and balance, reduced sensitivity to pain and temperature change, tingling or burning pain, or skin allodynia (severe pain from normally nonpainful stimuli, such as light touch);

and autonomic neuropathy may produce diverse symptoms, depending on the affected glands and organs, but common symptoms are poor bladder control, abnormal blood pressure or heart rate, and reduced ability to sweat normally."

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20352 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Here is a link to get more detailed info if so desired...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuropathy

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tin-i was trying to remember the "water running feeling"...i could remember the feeling but couldnt get the words. it was sometimes hot and sometimes cold. i still get it

i was told by a doc...not LL...but not awful either
that this pain happens when nerves are not right...some say losing myalin...but for sure not right. i know my neuro lyme has been dx for over 10 yrs...so even tho my tests are neg now...this nerve problem has remained

and ditto on the emg. my first was pos-long time ago. actually it was 94. then two more i couldnt finish...the doctors both refused to finish saying my response was so abnormal...it wasnt right for them to continue

now there seems to be a rule that you must have that test before you get a carpel tunnel surgery. i know i need the surgery from the exam when they tap your wrist and you feel numbness. but i refuse to have the emg again...so they wont do the carpal tunnel. this is crazy!

but don...it really sounds like nerves

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bursitis?

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You two are so right. I refuse to EVER have another EMG... just shear torture for me. It's so weird to hear others say it was no big deal. I'm like, "HUH?"

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 95250 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just don,

It does sound like peripheral neuropathy. Would suggest moving your butterscotch candy to another pocket for starters.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i hope it is something simple and goes away soon.

If not, I hope a doc can help.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement