LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Finally lost my job and still not better

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Finally lost my job and still not better
Maia_Azure
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maia_Azure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep. Been out on medical leave for 6 months. Got the letter in the mail this week. My position is gone. My job involved standing most of the day, so they would not accomodate me temporarily with part time work.

On the one hand, relief. I dreaded returning. The other? Sheer absolute terror. How will I pay for meds? Doc appointments?

Unemployment is not an option as they craftily still have me as an inactive employee that could "reapply" when better for up to a year.

I think I'mToo young for disability and that could take a long time to get.

I guess I just live with relatives and learn how to mooch?

--------------------
Sick since 2000
Bulls eye 2005
Dx Babesia, Lyme 2014

Posts: 247 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Aug 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I'm so sorry to hear of this. Just don't have the energy to phrase a proper note so jumping to the practical.

Just because they have you categorized as open to "reapply" does not at all mean you cannot apply for SSD.

It just means that if you do get better in a year, you may reapply. Your status there means zero in the broader sense, though, as to any kind of determination of the future. That's not their job to read the crystal ball.

If you have some medical documentation, that is what matters. Your doctor's assessment is key.

Don't give up on pursuing means to help you get better. And, along the way - today - this minute, be sure to take the best care of yourself as you can.

However, if you told them you could do a less strenuous job now, that is another matter.

And if you can and they could have figured that out (if you are qualified, able and it would not put them out more than just a tiny bit in any way) but did not, talk to a ADA attorney.

If you can do less strenuous work, then SSD may not be the correct path now. Still, if you cannot do even less strenuous part time work, look into it.

On the bright side -- even if you may not be better in the foreseeable future to go back to your company, if they are a good place, good people and do good work . . . do keep in touch with them as it may still be a good place to return when you ARE able.

Keep up with your area of work interests in some way and keep the lines of communication open. Just don't get personal or into office gossip or even too much "water cooler talk" -- you just need to maintain some kind of professional "awareness" or interest. that can happen in a variety of ways.

I hate this term nearly as much as "networking" (the too often: "Hi, what's in it for me?" tendency)

but there may be some way you could "reinvent" yourself. Again, hate the term but just can't think of how else to say it and my hands are screaming at me to stop typing. You might just find something that you are good at, that will work for you in some kind of creative way.

Seek out mentors, explore options. IF possible. If not, believe, that's understandable now, too as just trying to figure out how to get through a day can be a full ticket.

Adrenal support matters day as you've had a shock.

take care
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/3/23463

Disability assistances, process - informational links

How to stretch money ideas here, too.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sometimes it jus works out. taking care of y ourself is top priority.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im not sure if kerb mentionrd this but i dont think didsbility has anything to do with age

You might want to strt another thread asking about disability

There are some ppl on here now that know a lot about disability

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaches
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 38251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaches     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So your job in medical research required you to be on your feet?
Posts: 1885 | From here | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momindeep
Member # 7618

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momindeep     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So very sorry Maia...sometimes there is a silver lining...hard to think about right now tho.
Posts: 1512 | From Glenwood City WI | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does your state offer state disability for a year that you can apply for now?

You might want to start investigating your disability options, just in case.

Posts: 13117 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD filled out my disability forms. He wanted me to take a year off, but I only did 6 months. They filled out all the forms for me and submitted them. This was a few years ago and I am not old. Check with maybe local support groups or leaders. Maybe it was state disability that I had.
Posts: 700 | From CA | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maia_Azure
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maia_Azure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So like many people, I commuted into Massachusetts for my job. Massachusetts has an employment-at-will rule. Meaning, either party can enter or end a working relationship at any time, for any reason, and with or without advance notice.

For me, once my FMLA leave was up, I had no legal job protection. So when I filed my return to work document, it had restrictions like no standing longer than an hour, no working longer than 6 hours, etc. My employer was under no obligation to honor any of those, all they had to say was, we can't accommodate that.

What happens next is, my job is given away. If, in the future, I am better (within the next year), I can reapply for my position if it opens up. But, the problem is, I had worked up into a better location, I would be put back in the low totem pole area that has high turnover. Not what I want.

Because I was let go for medical reasons (ie my medical restrictions cannot be accommodated by my employer) I cannot apply for unemployment until the year is up. And, they offer you to apply to other jobs within the company more suited to your restrictions (not likely, I'm too overqualified for those ones).

I have been a mess for the past three months agonizing over this, because I knew it was going to happen. I realized around Christmas that I wasn't going to be able to return due to my body pain.

So my depression shot through the roof, I am irritable and argumentative, angry, you name it. I miss the old, nice, enjoyable lover of life, me! I actively avoid my friends so I don't do or say something to ruin the friendship!

I lost my home (apartment), my relationship, my job, my social life, my sanity,..i often wonder where the bottom of the lyme pit is.

But, I AM going to ask my doctor about disability. I have credit card debt due to lyme treatments...I NEED some source of income, even if it is meager!

Honestly, At this point, i can't even work part time because I have good days and bad days that come and go at will.

--------------------
Sick since 2000
Bulls eye 2005
Dx Babesia, Lyme 2014

Posts: 247 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Aug 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maia_Azure
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44330

The worst part is, last fall I tried to apply for long term disability insurance and they rejected me for pre-existing conditions, and Massachisetts has no short term disability.

So I couldn't enter into the insurance, so my only option looks like SSDI, IF I can convince them. I think its pretty hard in Massachusetts to get it, though I am going to have to ask people who have done it to see how they did it.

My cobra will be $600 a month starting in two months, so I think I will look into the affordable care act in my home state. Luckily where I live, we have an insurance exchange.

--------------------
Sick since 2000
Bulls eye 2005
Dx Babesia, Lyme 2014

dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PM being sent to you Maia.
Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OptiMisTick
Member # 399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OptiMisTick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have a look here at the exceptions in your MA law and reflect what you could do for the positive with that irritability and anger you mention!!

http://www.theemploymentlawyers.com/Articles/Employment%20at%20will.htm

Several exceptions to your law there, look at the Disability exceptions and the Disability Accommodations part.

Any decent labor lawyer will give you ten minutes on the phone for free. Craft your message to only take 5 mins. Practice, have a 3 x 5 card with your points on it.

Get some good legal language, phrases to use in dealing with HR (Human Resources) and let them know (even if you have to bluff) that your labor lawyer says you have been let go improperly. Try to use legal language from the lawyer or looking up the topic further.

BLUFF! Say that your attorney says they have to accommodate you since you are the exception to those laws and mention your lawyer says there is an element of gender bias in this in that a male would not be treated this dismissively.

I have done this. They don't expect you to know the law or your rights. Use some of the phrases in the exceptions to the law. And ask them for everything IN WRITING.

(do not give them your attorney's name, say YOU and you alone will communicate with your lawyer since you will be concise as he is charging you by the minute including for phone time and you don't need them running up your bill).

I have had the lovely experience of things suddenly going away when I ask for explanations in writing. It may not work in this case but I would really emphasize the Disability exceptions to your MA law and have a second go at them!!

Good luck and again, I am so sorry for your predicament.

Posts: 1338 | From Above the Clouds | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OptiMisTick
Member # 399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OptiMisTick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PS It can be helpful to quote case law at those who are trying to deny you your rights. Look at those Disability references and pick up the references to case law, such as

G.L. c. 151B, §§ 4(4), 4(16); 42 U.S.C. § 12203(a), (b) (ADA); Soileau v. Guilford of Maine, Inc., 105 F.3d 12,

If you have a legal library near you, you can request copies of these ahd see which fit your situation. alternatively you can ask your local library to request copies of these references.

Then make a simple sheet of such references and use quotes from the applicable ones. This can cause emloyers to think twice.

Been there, done that, lived to advise others it can work.

Posts: 1338 | From Above the Clouds | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
If there is a law school near you and a library -- as OptiMisTick suggests, they could be an excellent resource for you.

Beyond just requesting copies, you might inquire as to any "clinics" or services that their students might operate for area residents.

Before internet, even, I would go to the medical college in my area and the library clerks there were very helpful to me. The same may be of the librarians at your closest law school.

Call ahead and ask what kind of access you might be able to obtain. Their website might actually tell you some things.

Even if not driving distance to you, they may be able to help you by phone, email.

Your area lyme support groups may also be able to share shortcuts on who and where, etc.

Your state BAR ASSOCIATION (a professional attorney organization) might be able to give you names for those who could help you, too. Some do Pro Bono (donated) work or sliding fee scale.

There are some kinds of Legal Aid groups as well.

Good luck.
-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement