LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » General Support » Help with cockroaches!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help with cockroaches!
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are so gross, little tiny ones in and around the dry cat food bowls at night (scaring the cats). I am pretty sure they came in on some take out (hubby loves takeout food).

Does anyone know how to get rid of them without hiring an exterminator? I have MCS too so not sure I could handle an exterminator (toxins).

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
borax powder...
baking powder and baking soda are naturals
also roach traps.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Randibear! Maybe I should use sugar with the powders to bait them. But then maybe they would just eat the sugar.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Darn, my baking soda and powder are expired!

--------------------

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I would NOT put down sugar. Sugar can attract critters and they will send out signals far and wide for the "party" at your home.

You don't want to attract them from a wide radius but just affect those that happen by.

Expired for baking / chemical reaction is very different than expired in all aspects of their properties, though.

But I don't see how baking soda or baking powder could do anything without the boric acid in it.

BORIC ACID powder is also helpful in you don't have or can't find the brand name "Borax" - the boric acid is taken back to their nests and works there.

Can you not leave food sitting out, especially at night. Teach the cats that if they don't eat a meal time, it gets put away ?

Also one helpful habit is to never put any food specs of food, oil at all in the trash. Keep any food garbage traces (even on napkins) in the FREEZER and then into the trash at the time it's put out for pick-up.

A couple old plastic bins in the door cubby will work, they can be rinsed out and reused forever.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Certain garden herbs may help, those with aromatic oils, especially. Rosemary is one that comes to mind but a good search will get into specifics.

Marigolds, too, I think I recall.

Better to repel them, I think, than attract or entice them.
-

[ 05-19-2015, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if the orange peel bug stuff would work. It works really good on carpenter ants and other things. They smell it and turn around...but i dont have much experience

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Combat bait (the little traps) works great if you can't get the borax to work. If you put out the borax, put it where the pets cannot get to it. It's fairly safe, but still.

It's non-toxic .. at least there is no SMELL.

Ditto on leaving food out .. it's a constant source of "bait" for the roaches.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 94842 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MannaMe
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MannaMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know if aspartame would work for roaches or not...... it does kill ants! They take it back to their nests and after a little while --- no more ants!
Posts: 1675 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Ha ha (Maddog)!

Will a ten year old box of mule team borax work (laundry detergent)? I haven't made it to the store yet for roach bait.

Yeah, I guess I have to cover the cat food bowls at night. That is where they are hanging out. I have a really old cat that needs to eat when she's hungry tho.

--------------------

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Covering the bowls will not work. Sorry. They would need to be in a tightly sealed container and any trace of food cleaned up very well - a tray underneath by day and then wash it very well, for instance.

The kind of container that has a tight latch lock and a rubber gasket is best to keep bugs out.

It can be tough if cat's need to have any food out, though. If they can learn to eat at certain times, it would be best.

In the meantime, sprinkle the old borax powder you have around . . . corners & edges everywhere. Just a very light dusting. Circle around the cat food area.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
This may gross you out a bit, so "spoiler alert" but this is very important. Pull out the stove, the fridge, etc. and give that floor space a good cleaning, too.

A steamer mop after vacuuming is a good idea if you have something like a Bissell steamer.

IF you have an old fridge, or any fridge with a DRIP TRAY behind it or underneath, this drip tray can atrack (sp?) roaches. Ick, I know. Found this out the hard way.

Also be sure under sink is all clean and dry. Moist spots attrack them, too.

I'm sure the web has some good sites that cover all the bases. It's a multi-faceted proposition.

ANY food that is dry should also be in a gasket / hindge tight container, no opened boxes of anything in the cabinets. Friends learned that so I did not have to.
-

Catgirl
Member # 31149

Thanks Keebler. So can I leave the cats' water bowls out? It doesn't sound like it after reading about under the fridge! I don't know how that will work with our cats. Hmmm.

--------------------

Catgirl
Member # 31149

What about onions, garlic and tomatoes? I leave them on the counter all the time. Should I put them away too?

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your cat will let you know when she wants to eat! [Smile]

The water should be fine. They need to have constant access to water.

I'm not sure I'd want roaches crawling on my tomatoes. Not sure they would mess with the onions or garlic, but who knows?

Yes to the Mule Team borax! It may take awhile to work.. at least a week.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 94842 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
onions, garlic and tomatoes?

I do not know. But you cannot put them in an air tight container at room temperature or they will mold fast.

This is where you might consult a good website on this topic or call the office of an exterminator tomorrow. Just explain you need a little advice on not attracting them.

A produce manager of a grocery -- or a university "extension" service for food issues can likely also help.

You may be able to leave the onions / garlic in a cotton towel, loose in a basket but put that basket on a larger plate and sprinkle something around the edge of the plate.

Tomatoes likely best uncovered, but the same thing, inside some kind of ring.

Honey, if left out for any time at all to warm up, make a water moat from a shallow bowl so ants, etc. don't get into it. Honey is best kept in fridge, though, to keep critters away. If you use honey.

Be sure you don't have cough drops, etc. anywhere under counter, in a drawer, a purse, even.
-

Catgirl
Member # 31149

Wow, you guys are all awesome! Thank you everyone!

Kayak, I didn't know about the orange peel stuff, thanks! I will look for something orange for carpenter ants as well. We had an exterminator but my doc told me no more toxins, so we stopped that service.

--------------------

Catgirl
Member # 31149

I just caught one cat batting around a cap full of borax like it was a new toy to play with. Two of them are staring at me like they have some anxiety. Geeze, I guess I will give them some wet food.

--------------------

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could try the Orange Guard spray.

PS This is what one apt in NYC did once, that I was staying at - they spraypainted the cockroaches in dayglo colors - it was a light show at night...

Posts: 13012 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:

If you put out the borax, put it where the pets cannot get to it.

-
Put it under your kitchen cabinets or in other places the cats cannot get to.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i cleaned my kitchen recently. pulled everything out of cabinets, donated to food bank what I didn't want. washed cabinets out and then sprayed floor. had to leave house.

then cleaned out refrigerator with clorox water and pitched what I didn't want.

took two full days and I was pretty pooped out.

I woke up and there was a black line of ants from refrigerator to sink. bet there must have been a thousand. i freaked out.

needed cleaning anyway. been so wet here bet thats what caused it. got outdoor spray and soaked the porch.

that got em.

I kept randi's food in a large popcorn can. she ate in the utility room.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Be careful about spraying inside the home. I know I would have to move out if I did that.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Catgirl
Member # 31149

I fed them before bed last night and capped their dry food in some left over chinese food containers (tight lid). One of them went nuts on the dry food this am, even after I gave her wet food! She really missed it.

Thanks Robin (orange guard)!

Thanks Lymetoo! I found some places hopefully the cats won't find them.

Randibear, we used to have tons of ants when we lived in TX. Somehow pieces of orange peel helped deter them on the inside.

We just used one orange (ate the inside) and put them outside around our house. They must really hate oranges! I don't know why I didn't think of doing that here too. I'm going to try it once I buy an orange.

--------------------

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Combat works great. Not off brands, just Combat. I like them because the poison is contained. When we moved into our house in Ohio, there was a roach problem and since I got Combat I have not seen another roach in the almost 10 years we have lived here.

In Florida, roaches are everywhere. I only see dead ones in our house there.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Is it a spray or a bait thing? I can't handle sprays (mcs).

--------------------

lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I foynd my orange guard and it says its for roaches-and other things-it does smell like oranges...its not a chemical

Are you up at 1 cuz of bugs? Hope not!

--------------------

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Adrenals. Daylight savings time messed with them. I need to get back on track tho.

I think I will get some orange guard tomorrow, or today! [Smile]

--------------------

lpkayak
Member # 5230

When i was fighting mice i HAD to put ettas food away at night. She was used to eating when ever she wanted for four years. But the mice would empty her bowl.and then i started to find their stashes all over house. They sorted it by color where they stored it

Anyway, i just started feeding her in a tupperware bowl. At bedtime i covered it and stuck it in fridge. She got used to it-but shes a dog and she sleepscwith me...doesnt eat in nite

The mice went crazy for a few days...then they were gone.

--------------------

lpkayak
Member # 5230

When i was fighting mice i HAD to put ettas food away at night. She was used to eating when ever she wanted for four years. But the mice would empty her bowl.and then i started to find their stashes all over house. They sorted it by color where they stored it

Anyway, i just started feeding her in a tupperware bowl. At bedtime i covered it and stuck it in fridge. She got used to it-but shes a dog and she sleepscwith me...doesnt eat in nite

The mice went crazy for a few days...then they were gone.

--------------------

Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The other day I was potting plants with a brand new bag of potting soil. I turned back in the direction of the bag and saw a roach on the ground near the bag running away. Then I saw one in the bag crawling out.

Then two more!!! So, please....

Watch those bags of potting soil and do the work outdoors.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20332 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Wow, even it potting soil? They're everywhere!

Does anyone know if zip lock bags will keep them out (cookies)?

--------------------

Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No spray or powder, ok.

My grandma use to use Harris Famous Roach Tablets in a land where roaches were often the size of a sandwich plate.

They can be purchased online from Amazon, etc. They are a bait, just a small pill sized thing from what I remember. I just checked AMAZON and it has a 4 star rating for almost 15o responses, which is very good.

Here is the info... and it is less than $7.oo for 1oo tablets... so very economical.

``Will rid your living areas of roaches and other pests for good
Proven for over 80 years
Just place under the fridge, stove and sink
Effective without harmful fumes or powdery
Approximately 100 tablets``

A typical response from those who bought them...

``I have used Harris Famous Roach Tablet products for years and find them to be most effective. In addition, I have recommended them to countless friends and neighbors, all with stellar results.

For me, this is the ultimate, perfect product. Place them around all entrances to your home and various locations around the kitchen and bath.

They are safe for pets and children, too.

If you keep a close watch on the tablets from day to day, you will see that small bits of them are gone. Take a close look, around the edges and you will notice the tablet losing its shape due to erosion by roaches nibbling at them.

The substance is picked up by the roach and taken to its nest, where the whole roach family partakes. Before long, no more roaches.

And they stay gone for years -- as long as you keep the tablets replenished. I highly recommend ALL of the Harris roach elimination products.``

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Memorial Day. Don’t forget those who have made the ultimate sacrifice.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20332 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by sixgoofykids:

Combat works great. Not off brands, just Combat. I like them because the poison is contained.

-
It's in flat black thingys... contained, as Six said.

Tincup, I think the Harris Roach Tablets contain boric acid from what I remember. I haven't seen those in years.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Catgirl
Member # 31149

Thanks you guys! [Smile]

I haven't been to the store yet (herxing), but did put borax detergent out. I don't know if they are eating it though.

I have pulled all cat food at night but will probably have to clean really well as hubby drops crumbs on the floor. I've had to break up some cat fights early in the morning though (they miss free feeding on their food at night).

I will go to home depot and get some of this stuff as soon as I stop herxing. Or I will send hubby tomorrow!

--------------------

Catgirl
Member # 31149

One of the caps full of borax looks like something has been in it (by oven). There are a couple of dents in it (doesn't look like cat paws, thinner dents). Hopefully they are eating that one!

--------------------

Tincup
Member # 5829

Many moons ago in Florida I use to sprinkle Borax on the rugs and carpets, all over them and around the baseboards, etc.

I would let it sit over night then vacuum it up the next day, and of course you don't get all of it back up again. This was to kill anything, sand fleas, ants, ticks, roaches, silver things, etc. There were two little kids in the house at the time and I had been told this was safe to do.

I still use Borax in the wash and for other things, always keep some handy. Used it today in fact while washing some throw rugs.

And yes TuTu, you are right, the roach tablets contain 4o% Borax I believe.

Good luck Cat girl. Hope you are bug free soon!!!

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cockroach elimination
http://www2.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef614.asp

Harris Boric Acid Roach Powder
http://www.amazon.com/Harris-Boric-Acid-Roach-Powder/dp/B0026MD0G6/

Boric Acid Roach & Ant Killer
http://www.amazon.com/Boric-Acid-Roach-Ant-Killer/dp/B0016J1MZG/

The first link is informative, and you can google for how does boric acid kill cockroaches to find out more.

The two Amazon links are boric acid powder in puff bottle containers.
Some of the reviews are pretty amusing, these people get so excited about killing bugs, haha.

One thing I learned in reading this was that the boric acid powder needs to be in a fine layer.
Don't just try to spoon it around.

From what I understand, it sticks to the insect's legs by static elecricity, and then they ingest it when they groom themselves.

Sure cockroaches groom themselves...they're not slobs, y'know. [Smile]

Posts: 6938 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Nice to know Carol. I just sent the cute little roaches at Catgirl`s house a gift box with perfume, tiny little hair brushes, a miniature blow dryer, some pretty clips and bows, and lipstick.

[lol]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Tincup
Member # 5829

Oh, and a GIANT toothbrush to keep those big choppers looking nice.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Catgirl
Member # 31149

Ha ha (Carol and Tincup)! Thanks for the info!

--------------------

Catgirl
Member # 31149

Wow, Carol, such good info you posted! I have my work cut out for me (if only I could stop herxing).

--------------------

Tincup
Member # 5829

Any better yet bug girl....

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Catgirl
Member # 31149

Ha ha! I think so. The cats aren't as freaked out at night anymore, although I do think there are more roaches. I read somewhere that once you have one you have tons hiding.

I think the borax detergent helped knocked some of them down, but I haven't seen any bodies anywhere so there must be more of them. But then I haven't looked in places they like to hide yet (Carol's link). We have a bunch of paper bags from the grocery store, I remember reading they like those.

I am putting some bait out today (harris/combat). Hopefully that will do the trick. I need to get rid of those bags too.

--------------------

Tincup
Member # 5829

And may you be feeling better soon too!!!

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Catgirl
Member # 31149

Thanks Tincup!

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

OH good. I'm glad you found the Combat. That stuff works.

And yes, I hope you are feeling better! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Catgirl
Member # 31149

Thanks Lymetoo!

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement