LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Off Topic » Price gouging at gas pump

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Price gouging at gas pump
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Charging $2.89 a gallon for regular at cheap stations, went up immediately on news of refinery/oil rig problems in the gulf. How can they justify that when they are still pumping pre-hurricane supplies? Seems like price gouging to me.
Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed! It's $2.91 here...at least it was yesterday....Haven't been out today yet. Afraid to look!

------------------
Do not take anything I say as medical advice. I am not a doctor, but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express!
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 95453 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dontlikeliver
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dontlikeliver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From my point of view, you are lucky to be paying so 'little'.

In the UK, where I am, it's around $7.00 a gallon.

Posts: 2824 | From The Back of Beyond | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you have better public transportation systems and a smaller country.

Ours is laid out so it is impossible to walk anywhere, plus it is very big, and the only public transportation systems are in big cities.

And the current administration is doing nothing to improve mileage in vehicles or look for alternatives.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sue vG
Member # 3143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sue vG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're paying what you're paying here in oil country.
Posts: 1307 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dontlikeliver
Member # 4749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dontlikeliver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sadly, public transport is no better where I live in the UK than what it was where I lived in the suburbs of NYC. And, that goes for much of Britain, outside major cities that have plenty of buses and subways/metros.

Raskilnokov, yes some land does have right of way for ramblers, but that is not exactly a convenience, unless you want to 'wander aimlessly through the wilderness' on foot. (you cannot drive on these public footpaths).

So, I am only saying that having lived on both sides of the pond, and once feeling 'hard done by' when the gas price was $2.57/gallon (years ago at one point), I now realize that was a bargain compared to what we have to pay here. Most of it's tax, of course.

Posts: 2824 | From The Back of Beyond | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loribelle
Member # 6293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loribelle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
over $3 here. think it was 3.14 yesterday... was 1.80 maybe a month ago.

everything we buy is transported. think about what that will mean in the grocery stores, all stores... manufacturing, shipping, air, land, and sea transportation... ETC.

price of corn is pretty steady the same as it was the last 30 years... how much more will farmers have to pay in fuel getting their crops out, then the drying.... (course around here there is basically no corn crop because of the draught!)

what will it cost to heat our homes this winter? how much will we have left to buy goods?

if this continues, it will have MAJOR repercussions in our economy.

we already have been watching manufacturing plants close and move to mexico and canada from here, leaving thousands un- or underemployed....

this is serious folks.

Posts: 1149 | From southeast iowa | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Member # 81

I stand corrected, DLL. Had gotten a favorable impression from trips to England and riding buses thru the countryside, and traveling to various places outside London by train.

Update on gas price: $3.29 today.

dontlikeliver
Member # 4749

Lou - In a small village, there may be a bus only once every couple of hours or less, and to get from point A to point B, one usually has to stop in several other, out of the way, villages and towns along the way. So, I am just saying that it is not convenient for local people, and therefore - although the government is trying to coax people onto buses - people still drive despite the high cost. (not only the high cost of gas, but also road tax on top).

The trains in the UK, I think have the highest prices in Europe. For instance, from where I live, to London, which is 2.5 hours, on a weekday costs about $160 round trip. A one way would be about $158, as you only get a pound off for a one way journey. A rip-off.

DLL

lou
Member # 81

Wow, that IS expensive!
24bit-moderate
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I saw an AM/PM at $2.67 today.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cootiegirl
Member # 3216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cootiegirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was at the beach with my family this past week and the prices jumped .80 per gallon while we were there. The week started out at 2.49 and by the time we left, gas was 3.29, and in some places 3.39!
cootiegirl

Posts: 1728 | From New York State | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's $3.50 at some places here in Pennsylvania.
Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tj33
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7214

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tj33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pushing $4 here in Phoneix..
I filled up my car two weeks ago. I never drive it now.. My street legal golf car gets 80 mpg and I use it for all errands. (Yep,, I am retired)
The first gas refinary in years is being built in Arizona, thanks to Bush...
Plus he has suspended the stupid summer/winter gas laws makes it easier for dealers to get gas...

Hey,, English, how much of the $7 a gallon is taxes?? Just curious....

Tj

Posts: 192 | From Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This will tick you off! My friend who is helping out in MS said gas is $2.39 and $2.49 and the gas lines are sometimes miles long.

So why is gas $3.10 and $3.20 here? YOu know those stations are not selling it at a loss in MS!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 95453 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beach4so
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3832

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beach4so     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just getting back home from Missouri these were the prices we paid.

Missouri: 3.19 a gallon
ARK: 3.09 a gallon
MS: (very long lines to no gas peirod) 2.99
LA: where the shorage is suspose to be no lines and 2.45 a gallon.

Now I am real courious too!!!

Starr

Posts: 698 | From Louisiana | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tj33
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7214

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tj33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The folks in the midwest should be concerned about heating fuel.. A very cold and snowy winter is predicted by the Farmers Almanac.
I remember as a farm kid in the forties we used coal to heat with. It was much more efficient than wood..
With energy supplies, especially propane, in question I would get a coal stove and about a half ton of coal. Messy, but will keep you from freezing. I remember the winter of 49, it was very bad, we almost froze except we had plenty of coal... I'll never forget dragging the old coal bucket through the snow and empting the chamber pots for mother (it was too cold to go outside).

The oceans are being warmed by vast underwater volcanoes and we are going to see monster storms.
Katrina was not a normal hurricane.The weather kids totally missed it. It was much more powerful than a 5. More are coming... The Fire/Ice cycle is well underway..
I would get out of Florida while the getting is good..

Posts: 192 | From Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by beach4so:
[qb] Just getting back home from Missouri these were the prices we paid.

Missouri: 3.19 a gallon
ARK: 3.09 a gallon
MS: (very long lines to no gas peirod) 2.99
LA: where the shorage is suspose to be no lines and 2.45 a gallon.

Now I am real courious too!!![/b]

And if you figure it as being $2.49 in some places in MS... the difference is $.70 per gallon!! That's crazy! You know the demand for gasoline is way higher in MS than in MO! [Mad]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

24bit-moderate
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, for regular I saw it between $2.82 to $2.95 here in Las Vegas today.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angela Bachmann
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angela Bachmann   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure you've all seen something like this...but I just got another email from a friend and thought I'd pass it along to you.

It's not my idea...Do you think something like this would actually work? [Frown]

It has been calculated that if everyone in the United States did not purchase a drop of gasoline for one day and all at the same time, the
oil companies would choke on their stockpiles. At the same time it would hit the entire industry with a net loss of over 4.6 billion dollars
which affects the bottom lines of the oil companies. Therefore Saturday, Sept 10th has been formally declared "stick it to them day" and the
people of this nation should not buy a single drop of gasoline that day.

Remember one thing, not only is the price of gasoline going up but at the same time airlines are forced to raise their prices, trucking
companies are forced to raise their prices which effects prices on everything that is shipped. Things like food, clothing, building materials, medical supplies etc. who pays in the end? We do!

We can make a difference. If they don't get the message after one day, we will do it again and again. So do your part and spread the word. [Mad]

--------------------
Love,
Angela
 -

Posts: 572 | From New Jersey | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angela Bachmann
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angela Bachmann   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure you've all seen something like this...but I just got another email from a friend and thought I'd pass it along to you.

It's not my idea...Do you think something like this would actually work? [Frown]

It has been calculated that if everyone in the United States did not purchase a drop of gasoline for one day and all at the same time, the
oil companies would choke on their stockpiles. At the same time it would hit the entire industry with a net loss of over 4.6 billion dollars
which affects the bottom lines of the oil companies. Therefore Saturday, Sept 10th has been formally declared "stick it to them day" and the
people of this nation should not buy a single drop of gasoline that day.

Remember one thing, not only is the price of gasoline going up but at the same time airlines are forced to raise their prices, trucking
companies are forced to raise their prices which effects prices on everything that is shipped. Things like food, clothing, building materials, medical supplies etc. who pays in the end? We do!

We can make a difference. If they don't get the message after one day, we will do it again and again. So do your part and spread the word. [Mad]

--------------------
Love,
Angela
 -

Posts: 572 | From New Jersey | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickedntx
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5660

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickedntx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen a few of these. The last one I saw said to buy gas on 9/6 and not on the 7-10th. They may sound plausible on the surface, but they make no sense to me.

The only way to have a financial impact on the oil companies is to cause them to sell less gas. That means using less gas, not shifting the day on which you purchase it.

Otherwise, they sell less gas one day, and more on the next.

If you want to impact the oil companies: Carpool. Buy a hybrid car. Use public transportation. Etc.

If I'm missing something, please tell me, but I don't think I need my economics degree to figure this one out.

Posts: 977 | From Austin, TX, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

I don't see how one day would work. I had heard that Sept 1 was "the day." I also received an email which said to boycott the largest company so they would lower their price....[and if they had to lower theirs, the others would follow suit.]

That would be Exxon/Mobil.

But there is obvious price gouging by the gas stations.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Kara Tyson
Member # 939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kara Tyson         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have always been told (living where I live) that it is not price gouging until an official state of emergency is declared.

I'll give you one better than that. Last week when my area was waiting in lines for hours, the gas stations were not even displaying the price. You didnt know until you actually got to the pump.

[woohoo]

--------------------
Kara Tyson
Lyme Disease Support Group Of Alabama--MobileChapter

Posts: 6022 | From Mobile, AL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beach4so
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3832

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beach4so     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kara we hit a few stations like that on the way home. We actually waited in a short line (about 15 minutes) and when we reached the pump you could only get 10.00 of gas!!

It was enought to help, but we played it smart and looked for stations when every we got to 3/4 a tank, sometimes we got down to half before we found one.

Glad your ok,
Starr

Posts: 698 | From Louisiana | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tj33
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7214

Boycotts will never work.. Too many people depend on gas to make a living....

Forget hybrid cars, they are a boondoggle and a small 1400 cc car gets better milage... The hybrids were only made for P.C. reasons. Most companies are discontinuing them...

Forget Hydrogen cars. Hydrogen cost more to extract than can be saved by cars. Plus it is extremely dangerous...
Electric cars?? Batteries are not practical. Cost too much and are not reliable in hot climates. Battery cars are known to explode when they get hot and have low water levels....
Propane? not efficent and very explosive...
Natural gas? same...
Local utilites gave them up after a few blew up for unknown reasons...

Ride horses? Dangerous tempermental beasts..
Mules? Yeah, not bad if you don't mind mule gas sprayed in your face while in the wagon... Kind of expensive to feed though..

The best car.. A 300 cc gas golf car. Gets 80mpg runs 30mph. No AC or heat though... Government is against these cars because of lost tax money...
[Big Grin]
Tj

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement