LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Activism » What does the proposed new health care plan mean for Lyme Disease?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What does the proposed new health care plan mean for Lyme Disease?
Peedie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15355

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Peedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First - let me say I'm not here to debate which Presidential Candidate should earn our vote. I do hate that it is a two man race as I don't trust either.
McCain has sent some strong indications that Obama is heading us toward Socialized Medicine. He says "Obama doesn't want you to have choices. If you want to know what he plans for health care is, look at Canada and England".
Obama dosen't deny it - but then he also says whatever insurance we currently have - we don't need to change it.
I have the distinct feeling both candidates have ideas only half-baked.
I want to hear a candidate tell us that health insurance is important for every American and that insurance companies will not be allowed to deny valid health claims. That every American will be taken care of so that they don't have to become homeless - bankrupt - just to keep themselves and (or)family members alive! That research, study and education in medicine will be supported by the Capitol.
It is all so vague...

Posts: 641 | From So. CA | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally I feel NO ONE should have health insurance.

I haven't seen a more rotten racket anywhere.

I think we pay enough taxes and from that money all people should be able to go to doctors of their choice to get whatever medical care is needed, at no cost to them.

NO ONE should be denied medical care for any reason.

WHY should insurance companies be allowed to dictate who you can see, when you can see them and what treatments/tests you can or can not have?

Kick them all out and start fresh.

The insurance company employees can go to work doing a ton of other things... and would probably be much happier for it.

I think hospitals should be paid a set fee for each patient... and each patient should have equal access.

And each doctor should get a set fee per visit and ONLY if they excel should they get a bonus each year. To determine if they excel, their patients should vote on it.

I think all visits should be 1/2 hour long or longer.. up to an hour if needed.

I think doctors and all health care professionals should be limited to working 36 hour weeks, with no more than 8 hours in any one day.

I think medical schools should be required to provide training that is coming from all available sources (holistic, natural, chiropractic, etc)

I also think those going to med school and doing their internship should NOT be allowed to bust their chops trying to work an insane number of hours.

BUt.. if you want to know what others think....

Check out the links...

[Big Grin]

http://www.nationalplatforms.com/

http://obama-mccain.info/index-obama-mccain.php

http://health-insurance-carriers.com/blog/health-care-john-mccain-vs-barack-obama/

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peedie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15355

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Peedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Tincup
The links you provided concern only the two candidates McCain and Obama. I really hate that - once again Capitol Hill has turned this into a two man race. There are others running and I plan to learn as much as I can about them.
You have a good point about the insurance companies. At some point they became so powerful they could tell the doctors what to do. They now dictate patient care and THAT is unbelievable!! These doctors spent a lot of time and money on their education - to be employed by the insurance companies? My PCP was repramanded for spending too much time with her patients and required to attend a class to learn how to manage her time better and move the patients along more quickly. If I remember right - they said only 5 minutes per patient.
The insurance companies are already too powerful when they can order the doctors as to treatment and time spent with each patient.
The insurance companies have no vested interest in a patient's well being.
But I strongly feel that if we go to socialized medicine - these things will get worse. Truly then no one will care.
As is - Canada and England rely heavily on discovery and treatment research done here in America. They do not have a government that supports medical R&D like we do.

Posts: 641 | From So. CA | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TS96
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14048

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TS96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ron Paul WAS the best chance we had for better health care.

The media ignored him and most never bothered to see what Ron Paul stood for.

A true American indeed.

God have mercy on us all.

--------------------
Bart Henslea 1976
Fibro/CFS/arthritis 2004
Lyme diagnosed 2007
3 1/2 years treatment with oral combos, Cowden, IV roc. BW herbs. Off all abx in 12/10. Feeling good.

Posts: 647 | From NY | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Peedie...

Just have a minute.. on my way out.

The first link does have info on a number of people, not just the two. But it is confusing so they can be missed easily.

You have to click on the person's name on the list to get the info... like for Ron Paul that TS mentioned... here is that link...

http://www.nationalplatforms.com/candidates/ron_paul.html

Have a good weekend.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the first election where I have just focused in on one issue...health care.

I have not seen any answers yet for those of us with lyme disease.

I am still banking on the lyme bill for help.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep--gotta' agree with you, TS; the two "candidates" we have now
just represent two sides of the same coin. Neither of them is going to prosecute the big parma/defense/insurance [email protected][email protected]$
who are destroying our lives...

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peedie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15355

McCain seems interested in helping people in big industry - he was all for the Wall Street Bail Out

- both candidates were. Tho they put money into the hands of reckless spenders.

The AIG group who went out and celebrated on a retreat of fine dinning and spa treatments, almost a quarter million they spent, it was at a resort near where I live.

He wants to "save people from losing their homes".

Now you would think that would be a program where people would apply and submit documentation like they did when they bought their house (Escrow)

They would be reviewed to see if they qualify for the program. This would insure that the people who really need it - will get help.

However McCain's plan is to give the funding directly to the banks. HUH?

McCain's plan for health care is to give credits to the people to spend on health care - with insurance companies.

But my insurance company won't cover MY illness.

Also he plans to tax small business, like where I work for providing full health care (HMO) benefits to employees.

THIS doesn't help the small business or the people - it probably will help the insurance industry somehow.

- Perhaps they get a tax break because the small business now pays taxes? Most small business is struggling in this economy and can not handle another tax burden.

How is Washington going to handle all the people who become unemployed?

Can anyone clarify these three points for me?

[ 20. October 2008, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: Peedie ]

pryorka
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pryorka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyone should watch Sicko the movie by Michael Moore, and go to http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/ and watch "sick around the world". Obama has us moving in the right direction. I'm thinking he avoids saying socialized health care because people don't understand it and private insurance companies do their best to scare us from it. But it works amazingly well and you'll be angry as heck we don't have it once you understand how systems in other countries work.

For the record Hillary Clinton fought her first year as first lady to get us universal health care and insurance companies spent billions in court just to stop her, and they won.

So watch those videos and make sure you know where the studs in your wall are, because you're likely going to punch it after you finish watching.

Posts: 499 | From Indiana | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peedie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15355

pryorca:
If NHS (socialized medicine) works so well - how come people in the UK - Canada and Europe can not get treatment for Lyme Disease?

Why are they coming to America for treatment?

Why are these countries depending on America for research and treatment guidelines?

I think research and medicine should be a "competitive" market to support growth and discovery.

I really don't trust government to be so involved in people's lives and health.
-p

Tincup
Member # 5829

Just a thought..

You said...

"If NHS (socialized medicine) works so well - how come people in the UK - Canada and Europe can not get treatment for Lyme Disease?"

My guess is it has nothing to do with insurance or socialized medicine, etc. It is the same reason why folks in Mississippi, Utah and other places across the USA can't get treatment.

The IDiots claim there is "no Lyme" there, the ducks abound in those places and are rather Lyme stupid and no one is paying attention.

You said.. "Why are they coming to America for treatment?"

The same reason someone in Florida goes to Pennsylvania to get treatment.. or why we had all had to go to New York years ago.... basically because there was no one to treat us locally.

You said.. "Why are these countries depending on America for research and treatment guidelines?"

The IDSA has expanded its stupidity to be more global. I believe the last IDSA meeting was held in Canada... and the last set of IDiot guidelines included ducks from across the ocean as co-authors... most likely because the doctors here are smart enough to know not to play with the boys with the stinky pants anymore.

And since no one here in the USA listens to them anymore.. to get their daily dose of "hubba hubba I sure am great".... they needed to cross international borders to find people STUPID enough to listen to them.

Of course this is only my opinion.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Peedie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15355

WOW ---- LET IT ALL OUT TINCUP !!!!
I hope you feel better now - I know I do!
LOL
-p

HaplyCarlessdave
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaplyCarlessdave   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peedie:
Hey Tincup
The links you provided concern only the two candidates McCain and Obama. I really hate that - once again Capitol Hill has turned this into a two man race. There are others running and I plan to learn as much as I can about them.

But no- in america it is in fact a two-man (or woman...) race. At best. Our 'election'... process is seriously flawed. It's a relic from a time when it took WEEKS to get election results from California. (I'd sure like to hear some candidates speak out about THAT serious issue!)

As it is, the minute a serious third candidate gets in the 'race', it becomes a ONE-contestant race! (Except when the outlying candidate is rather unpopular, as we have seen in all presedential elections so far in this millenium.l)
DS

Posts: 4567 | From ithaca, NY, usa | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peedie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15355

Very true. There needs to be reform and access to private funding cut off. All candidates need to present themselves together in many debate forums publically televised. Only then will we really get to know what they are planning for the future of America. It seems to me that this has come up before over the years and the people voted for this reform.(?)
Everything from the McCain and Obama debates sounds to me like a well-rehersed dog and pony act.
-p

pryorka
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pryorka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry I hadn't checked back here in a while, but Peedie the reason other countries don't treat lyme either is because they reference IDSA's guidelines. They trusted the U.S. to put together the best medical research and aren't aware of the corruption that has taken place.

Had we been a socialized health care system when lyme was discovered this would've never happened. There would've been no need to bribe those IDSA doctors in the first place.

Posts: 499 | From Indiana | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pryorka
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13649

Another thing to realize is that the longer we're sick, the more disability payments the government makes, the more money is lost through our lost earning power and ability to pay taxes to the government, and more strain we put on our family and communities. So in a socialized system there's a major incentive to get us better since the government deals with the financing of treatment, taxes, and disability.

But with private health care as we have it, the companies abandon us and leave us on the governments tab until we die (if we were to never get help). This way we strain our families and the government while the insurance companies get rich. Everyone loses, except the doctors that took bribes and insurance companies.

Peedie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15355

pryorka
While I agree with much of what you say - I think it is a stretch to say that people with Lyme and going on disability are a strain on anybody. Many,Many of us work, have 2 income families.
The "strain" experienced by our government is from providing free health care to undocumented people who live here. I live in So. Ca. - believe me - I know.
Our government is trying to find a way to redistribute this strain on us - the tax payers so they can continue to have cheap labor. This makes their fat asses content with the domestic help in their own homes and this makes Washington think "well we're helping the farmers and US business compete with imports from China and elsewhere."
Our government will succeed in doing this. And then the undocumented workers will cry out for legitamate wages, as they should! And this thing will back-fire on Washington. But ultimately - in time - with the proper wages there will also be taxed wages and things will work out.
BTW I heard on the radio that 50% of the failed mortgages belonged to undocumented people in So. CA.
It's an unpopular subject - and I not saying they should not be here - I'm just saying people should talk about the "strain" to our government funding by paying these medical expenses, special provisions and welfare. Only then can we put it all on the table and make sense of it. A solution can be found.
Washington wants their goodies though. So for now - this is what we get.
-p

pryorka
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13649

Oh I know socal... I was living out there for three years before I got sick and had to move back in with my parents. But a simple fix to distinguishing between the illegals and the legals would be to issue medical cards like Taiwan does. There's a way to do things like you said.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement