LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » how long does herx last for?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: how long does herx last for?
doshey
Member # 46853

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doshey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just diagnosed with Lyme about six weeks ago. I tested negative for co infections. Because i ran to a psychiatrist a few months before I got diagnosed with Lyme, my LLMD was afraid to put me on Doxcycline and instead put me on amoxicillin. He said doxicyline can cause depression.

Question 1. Do you think amoxicillin is strong enough to fight the Lyme?
Question 2.About 1-2 weeks after starting amoxicillin my pains got worse. My LLMD said its do to the herx. It is about 4 weeks after that and the pain still didn't get better. It even got worse as time goes on. Does this sound correct?

Question 3. Should I get a 2nd opinion?

Posts: 71 | From NYC | Registered: Oct 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most patients herx about every 3-5 wks .. and yes, you could feel worse for quite awhile. Do you think you've had it a long time?

As long as you feel that you have a good LLMD, then there is no need for a second opinion. I don't think there are any "good" LLMD's in NYC, however.

Reliable Lyme info:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=088555;p=0

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96227 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doshey
Member # 46853

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doshey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How long is a while?
Posts: 71 | From NYC | Registered: Oct 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
It could be months, or for as long as one treats with waves that are smooth and some that are rough.

Liver support is essential to help (and best started even before treatment when possible) but also communicate with your LLMD if it's too rough. It's never good to have a hard herx.

The degree of it should ALWAYS be controlled.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=030792;p=0

LIVER & KIDNEY SUPPORT & and several HERXHEIMER support links, too.

Any one Rx, alone, is not enough. Sorry

This is what a good protocol looks like, as a template. Each person will have individual differences in some Rx, but this is the idea - combinations, rotations . . . :

http://www.lymenet.org/BurrGuide200810.pdf

Advanced Topics in Lyme Disease (Diagnostic Hints and Treatment Guidelines for Lyme and Other Tick Borne Illnesses

Dr. Burrascano's Treatment Guidelines (2008) - 37 pages

Page 27 - SUPPORTIVE THERAPY & CERTAIN ABSOLUTE RULES for self-care

[ 10-25-2015, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
But all pain or even exasperation of symptoms is not necessary a herx.

Lyme, itself can make one very ill and just because treatment is on board, that does not mean lyme goes all nice and quiet. It's just part of the deal, sorry.

And coinfections can also have mighty symptoms - while waiting for treatment - or during.

Also, some meds can upset stomach, etc. Not everyone can tolerate every Rx. This is why communication with your LLMD is so important if you sense it's a problem with the med (and you are doing everything else you can for support).

Food choices (too many don't get enough to eat, I think), rest, the kinds of gentle exercises . . . or overdoing exertion . . . exposure to scents / chemicals, etc. All this matters, too.

Be sure liver & adrenal support are as good as possible, take the best care of yourself as possible, and the rest we just have to hope will level out.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amoxicillin is used to treat lyme disease. It is easier to take than doxycycline. I was cured of lyme by taking amoxi plus probinecid and flagyl.

See the Burrascano Guidelines for the correct dose of amoxi to kill lyme. See this quote:

"*Amoxicillin- Adults: 1g q8h plus probenecid 500mg q8h; doses up to 6 grams daily are often needed" (page 18)

http://www.lymenet.org/BurrGuide200810.pdf

In plain English, this says Adults: 1 gram every 8 hours plus probenecid 500 mg every 8 hours; doses up to 6 grams (6,000 mg) daily are often needed.

When I was treated for lyme over 11 years ago, I was given 1,500 mg of amoxi every 8 hours plus probenecid to keep the amoxi from being eliminated from the blood quickly. The probenecid is a must.

Then, in addition to the amoxi, I was given flagyl to kill the cyst form of lyme. If all you are given is one antibiotic at a time, you will NOT kill lyme because it is smart enough to know how to avoid being killed by any one antibiotic.

You must be on both the amoxi and the flagyl (plus the probenecid always with amoxi).

You MUST study the Burrascano Guidelines and find a doctor who follows the Guidelines.

Here are a few points from Dr. B's guidelines:

You must attack both the regular and cyst (or other) form of lyme simultaneously--requires 2 different antibiotics taken together to do so.

You must test the patient for all co-infections and other physical ailments (thyroid, etc.) and treat everything the person has.

You must treat all co-infections (including mycoplasma, etc.) or the patient will not get well.

You must use Igenex for most of these tests--they are a tick-borne disease speciality lab in Calif.

You must use very high doses of antibiotics to kill the diseases (batericidal doses).

You must give the patient supplements, probiotics, herbs such as artimesinin if babesiosis is suspected, and require adherence to rules such as low carb diet, no alcohol, no smoking, rest, and exercise as the patient is able to do it.

You must treat at least 2 months after all symptoms have disappeared (if sick at least 1 year).

These are just a few of the important points you will see in the guidelines. You want a doc who does EVERYTHING Burrascano says to do. He treated lyme for over 25 years, and compiled what he learned so that other docs could benefit from it. Read it in his Guidelines.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Glad to see TF weigh in on this. [One sentence in my post was revised in light of her reply.]

A little more detail:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probenecid

Probenecid,

also sold under the brandname Probalan, is a medication that increases uric acid excretion in the urine. It is primarily used in treating gout and hyperuricemia.

Probenecid was developed as an alternative to caronamide[1] to competitively inhibit renal excretion of some drugs, thereby increasing their plasma concentration and prolonging their effects.

. . . Probenecid is sometimes used to increase the concentration of some antibiotics. . . .

[Full entry at link above]
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/91327?#000036

Topic: How did Burrascano cure himself?

Re: PULSING

Taking you to the first of THREE posts here by author of "Cure Unknown" Pamela Weintraub (who has achieved good solid remission) . . . see all her replies for perspective. Two of her posts on Feb. 27, the third on Feb. 28.
-

doshey
Member # 46853

How do I find a DR. That follows Dr. Bursscono? Also TF, I am only on 1500 milligrams a day of Amoxicillin. That is to low correct? How long did it take you to get better?
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by doshey:
How long is a while?

-That depends upon how long you've had it. That's why I asked if you had had it very long.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96227 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can give you the name of a doc who follows Burrascano. He is right outside of Washington, D.C. You can take the train from NYC to D.C., then the D.C. subway to within a short distance to his office.

By taking the train down and back, you could make the round trip in a day.

After the first in-person visit, he will do monthly telephone appointments with you. So, you won't have to travel much at all.

This doctor can see you quickly right now. Most good lyme doctors are not taking new patients, or have a 1 year wait, or 3 months or 6 months. So, this is a real opportunity.

In NY state there is a great Burrascano type doctor who is in such demand that people can't even get appointments with him anymore, the waiting list is so long.

There is also another Burrascano type lyme doctor near the Canadian border near Montreal. I can give you the name. I hear the wait to see her is about 1 year.

I hope you get the message that there are plenty of doctors who treat lyme disease, but very FEW who know how to cure a person of it. VERY FEW lyme doctors follow Burrascano anymore. You must be willing to travel to one.

People line up to see the best lyme doctors--the ones who know how to get a person well.

You can contact the lyme support groups in your state and nearby states to see if they know anybody. See Support Groups on the left side of the page.

Tell me if you want the name of the doc I recommend.

If you mess around with doctors who don't know what they are doing, you will never get well. 1,500 mg of amoxicillin is USELESS against this disease. This is a sign that this doctor doesn't know what he is doing!!!!!

(1 gram is 1,000 mg, so Burrascano is telling doctors that they must give the patient AT LEAST 1,000 mg of amoxi 3 times per day, and sometime 2,000 mg of amoxi 3 times per day. That equals 6 grams. I was on 4.5 grams per day. You are on 1.5 grams per day.)

I believe a few on this site have told you that there is nobody good in NYC. This is so true. You will just waste time and lots of money there. You will NOT get well.

To get rid of this disease, you look for expertise.

You ask how long it took me to get cured: First, I went to 2 doctors who didn't know enough to cure me. I wasted 2 years with them, taking antibiotics (mostly amoxicillin alone).

Then I switched to a Burrascano type doctor. He treated my lyme for 2 months (with amoxi, probenecid, and flagyl). That was it!

Then he moved on to treat my bartonella and then my babesiosis.

All together, I was symptom free in 8 months and totally finished with treatment in 13 months.

Symptoms just started disappearing on his high-dose, antibiotic combinations.

And, I had had lyme disease undiagnosed for at least 10 years.

This is the main reason I still stick around LymeNet even though I have been cured for over 10 1/2 years. It is to point people like you to the good doctors. The doc is the key to getting rid of this disease. I can't emphasize that enough. The doc is the key.

Lyme is extremely difficult to cure. It is generally a number of diseases. It takes a lot of expertise to know how to help folks get rid of it. There are few doctors who know enough to help you.

If you have never been tested through Igenex, you don't know if you have coinfections or not. VERY few people have only lyme disease. And, if you have been sick at least a year, then Burrascano says that you definitely have coinfections. 100% of those sick with lyme at least a year have coinfections.

You will never get rid of lyme if you don't treat every single coinfection that you have.

So, with this disease, you must become educated and you must be willing to travel to a doctor who has a record of getting people well. Very, very few doctors who treat lyme disease have ever gotten rid of it for a person.

So, ask me for the doctor's name and go get some treatment that will make a difference. These docs are not cheap and they don't take insurance. But, they know how to get rid of lyme disease for a person.

Until you do this, you will just get sicker and sicker (you will get more and more symptoms). Don't wait until you have no money left before you wise up. Get to a great doctor NOW!!

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Ditto:

"If you have never been tested through Igenex, you don't know if you have coinfections or not. VERY few people have only lyme disease."

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

doshey
Member # 46853

TF, can u please send me the name of the one near Washington DC? How much does he charge? Did you use him?
doshey
Member # 46853

And ill take the name of the one in NYC
doshey
Member # 46853

Lyme too, I just got diagnosed around 6 weeks ago. The symptoms I started getting around February time of this year
Lymetoo
Member # 743

You may begin to feel better in a few months then... with proper treatment.

-

TF said:

"I believe a few on this site have told you that there is nobody good in NYC. This is so true. You will just waste time and lots of money there."

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

doshey
Member # 46853

Lyme too, who do you recommended to go to? I think I need a 2nd opinion.
TF
Member # 14183

I sent you the names.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement